Thread: "Endless Summer" Malibu Outrigger plans

I've been looking for a set of plans for the Malibu Outrigger featured in the 1964 Endless Summer movie for some eight years now.

I come close; there's always someone out there with something similar or updated; I also see many referrals to a Mechanix Illustrated (or similar) men's hobby magazine, but never an actual issue date! And, of course, I've spent hundreds of hours on the internet. . .

Can anyone help out there?

Jerry

I don't know how close it is to the one in the movie, but this is a pretty neat one and Gary recently started selling plans for it.
    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/garyd/ulua.html

Living a beautiful life... FREE FREE AT LAST!!

Get ready to slip of yer chair!! Brian gets here and sees that Todd the drool factor will flood the system!

Dang it, now I need a new keyboard. I like that sail rig too. Looks kinda familiar to a crab claw, I think?

Thumbs up

I have to admit, I had visions of some cheesy gilligans island looking canoe when you first mentioned that but man alive! That's really pretty!

Just seeing that puts me in the mood for sun and sand. They need to do a promo video..

I can see it now. Camera zooms into the island all to a pounding drum beat.. quick cuts.. a girl running on a beach.. guys paddling that canoe.. close-up of the jet intake on a 707 using a fisheye lens.. Danno looking through a shattered windsheild.. Kam Fong as Chin Ho..stutter cuts to a high rise with Jack Lord and his invincible hair.

Ahhhh.. I'm there!

Thanks, Todd. . . This seems to be the closest to what I can discern from the movies & on-site(s) images & manuals.

I'm wondering if anyone knows the magazine (exact) name and issue date; I just realized that I can probably find a relative to check out the National Archives in Washington.
    Was it Mechanix Illustrated, Popular Mechanics, or something else?

Tim Anderson has the original Malibu outrigger manual posted on his website at:
    http://www.mit.edu/people/robot/
    There are also a couple of other links to Malibu owners.
    The Malibu yacht club used to sell the plans but you'd have to contact them to see if they still have them. Next I'd track down the designer Warren Seaman who I believe still lives in the Los Angeles area.
    If all else fails you could build one of my Uluas. It's not as powered up as a Malibu and is designed more for leisurely cruising.
    Wooden boat did an article on the Malibu also but I can't tell you what issue offhand.

Gary

I remember WB doing an article on the Malibu Outrigger years ago.

Although you probably already know this if you've been looking for this long, WB #33 had an article about the Malibu outrigger, and it also appeared in MAIB several times; here's the MAIB archive; look under "Malibu" and "Outrigger".

boat is in Boston, I'm contracted out to Pittsburgh

Originally posted by Gary Dierking:
    Tim Anderson has the original Malibu outrigger manual posted on his website at:
    http://www.mit.edu/people/robot/
    There are also a couple of other links to Malibu owners.
    The Malibu yacht club used to sell the plans but you'd have to contact them to see if they still have them. Next I'd track down the designer Warren Seaman who I believe still lives in the Los Angeles area.
    If all else fails you could build one of my Uluas. It's not as powered up as a Malibu and is designed more for leisurely cruising.
    Wooden boat did an article on the Malibu also but I can't tell you what issue offhand.

Gary
    the Malibu is a once nice looking boat!

Some of the other stuff on the page is pretty too!

<a href="http://www.mit.edu/people/robot/yucatan/index.html" target="_blank">ADVENTURES AND ORDEALS WITH A FOLDING PROA
    ON THE YUCATAN COAST
    </a>

Complete with plans for the boat.

Seattle to Alaska by Hasty Outrigger Canoe

[ 02-12-2004, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: brian.cunningham ]

Many thanks for the help so far!

My latest search pattern is to have a friend who works for my US Senator do a search at the Library of Congress.

Does anyone out there know >>for sure<< what Male Building Stuff magazine published the original plans? was it Mechanix Illustrated, Popular Mechanix, or what? Plus, narrowing down the years will help immensely.

Jerry Elya
    Kentwood, MI
    UncleFester@SPAMBANCasaDelGato.com

remove spamban

Update:

I finally found the MALIBU OUTRIGGER plans. After the Malibu Yacht Club folded, the plans somehow became the property of a:
    Wayne L. Mort
    SR 11026
    Keaau, HI 96749

The design is at least 50 years old. Apparently there are two big MO clubs around, one in Texas.

Many thanks to all of you who looked. The eight year search has finally ended!

Jerry Elya
    Kentwood, MI

Default Re: "Endless Summer" Malibu Outrigger plans

Bump, for Rob.

Popular Mechanics, June 1958 (page 147) has the article on the Malibu Outrigger:

https://archive.org/details/PopularM...p?view=theater

Yes. Very yes.

And only 6661 days late! I wonder if Jerry Elya ever built a malibu outrigger, or even got plans for that matter?

The steward of the plans, Wayne Lee Mort passed last year, so the plans may be lost once again. A comment on the obit says "Wayne was an honored member of Hilo Sailing club and brought over the Malibu Outrigger to the Hawaiian waters for hours of enjoyment w club members."

Wayne Mort Obituary - Westminster, CA (dignitymemorial.com)

wayne-mort-westminster-ca-obituary.jpg
    Last edited by seasnail; 05-09-2022 at 07:04 PM.

The plans can be found here

tackingoutrigger.com mailbu_outrigger

Well, thatís a recent addition to that page, I think? Super cool, because Iíve been wanting to build a model of one!

I donít have a need for another full sized boat of any kind, right now, but I do have a pretty bad model making addiction, and some nice pressboard to make panels from.

Thanks for the heads up.

Yep, I forwarded the Malibu plans to Pete in Australia to put on his site. I figured they needed a permanent home.
    I got 'em from Gabriele Armeni early last year when I got interested in designing a tacking outrigger canoe.

I donít have a need for another full sized boat of any kind, right now, but I do have a pretty bad model making addiction,
    Rob, are you giving up your outrigger project for now?

I am currently in ďNot Building Any Full Sized Boats ModeĒ, and thereís no telling when and if that may change. I DO however have loads of wood and chipboard scraps stashed away in the model making stuff, so Iíve been on a bit of a model making jag to calm my nerve.

The proa model is currently being sailing by a wee stuffed kitten on top of a tower speaker in the LR, taunting me every day.

One day, maybe?

I will definitely make a model on the Malibu when I finish this vee bottomed number I dreamed up.