Thread: Wanted, 40-50 foot fast (25+ knots) wooden motor yacht for a client...

Default Wanted, 40-50 foot fast (25+ knots) wooden motor yacht for a client...

Something like an Express Cruiser. What boats fit the bill? I know wooden sailboats, motor yachts? Not so much.... Anybody got any suggestions? Restorable condition is fine.
    Program Manager Baggett & Sons Marine Restoration
    http://www.baggett-and-sons.com

Default Re: Wanted, 40-50 foot fast (25+ knots) wooden motor yacht for a client...

Many of the Carolina sportfisherman type yachts will do that, and some a good bit faster, but I don't suppose they grow in your backyard out in WA. It would cost a bundle to transport too. Most have twin diesels and many can go upwards of 35 knots in a moderate chop. 25 knots for those boats is easy.
    Don't worry, that storm'll prolly just blow on by us.....

Default Re: Wanted, 40-50 foot fast (25+ knots) wooden motor yacht for a client...

PT Boat, plenty of tired conversions around

PT boats sound way cool, but about 25' too long.

What about the older and larger Chris Crafts? The early ones were wood IIRC, though not sure they made them up to that length.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    PT Boat, plenty of tired conversions around
    Hell, I always wanted a PT boat m'self. Nothing like the sound of a pair of Packards full out.

PT boats have three Packards, not a pair. . .

But as for your own boat question, you got a hankerin' to burn fuel or something? Do you have any idea how much it costs to run a boat that size at that sort of speed? Where are you trying to get to around here where you can't wait to be somewhere else as fast as possible? I don't get it. Boats like that aren't particularly fun to ride on even.
    Last edited by James McMullen; 11-12-2010 at 11:27 PM.

See Huckins Yacht website. There's a 40' 1949 Ortega for sale there;
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    I don't get it. Boats like that aren't particularly fun to ride on even.
    I disagree rather vigorously. Boats like that are quite fun to ride in. It's no different than a teenager burning up and down the roads in a big hunk of American muscle car. Raw horsepower appeals to most fun loving open minded folks, not just a sheltered few.

He also mentioned in the very first line that it was for a customer.

You like being jostled and vibrated and pounded more than I do I guess, mommicked. Every time I've either been at the helm or just ridden as a passenger in a boat like that, I pretty soon couldn't wait to get it over with. . . .say, I guess that's one reason to go that fast, so it'll be over quicker.

The Shelter Island Runabout fills the bill. These are glass, but perhaps the plans could be purchased/redrawn for wood. Good looking boat, I had the pleasure to run one about 8 years ago. Its claimed speed and ride quality isn't BS. Built by Coecles Harbor Marine.
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

That length, that speed...is your client interested in something like a commuter boat?

The Mahongany Bay website has a very stylish 1937 54' Huskins Commuter but it's listed not for sale.

There are at least two commuters on the Antique Boat America website, but they're mid-30 feet in length.

A commuter is built to go fast with a long hull, narrow beam, planing hull. If you want to go fast in a classic boat, do it in a commuter designed for it rather than an over-powered cruiser, IMO.

Some of us don't have the luxury of only being able to go when the weather suits us. But yeah, when I go out in a boat I don't expect it to be pampered like a little girl. I've never understood a grown man who goes out on a boat and whines when it gets a little rough. But that's just me.

Breakaway's boat is a beauty!

It certainly is but I'm thinking something like that commuter is what my client is looking for. As for fast. I like noisy and fast on occasion, like my 500+ CI Chevelle. I forgot about the third Packard in the PT's.

I heard there's a guy in New York who owns one of the PT boats that were used for filming McHale's Navy who has it available for charter. I don't know of any others though.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Commuter boats are a beautiful, specialized and very expensive class of boat.

Aphrodite was at the Wooden Boat Show two years ago. She was restored (rebuilt) at Brooklin yard and is gorgeous.

There's a couple of others for sale on various sites if you google them.

I've never read it, but have seen the book "Yachts in a Hurry" listed as the definitive book on the subject...

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    I heard there's a guy in New York who owns one of the PT boats that were used for filming McHale's Navy who has it available for charter. I don't know of any others though.

There was a MTB (British and therefore intrinsically better) in Malta. It was looking sad.

I guess I'm guilty of drifting this thread, sorry Charles.

Here is a nice one

I'm looking for much the same. Not quite old enough to check into the home and go the trawler route. Who has the time? Too much to do and see!

Suggest the OP gets in touch with Barney Sandeman. He will be helpful

Quote Originally Posted by gdallas View Post
    Suggest the OP gets in touch with Barney Sandeman. He will be helpful
    The OP is locked away for very good reason.