Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sea Trials of John Welsford's SCAMP!

Default Sea Trials of John Welsford's SCAMP!

For those who've missed it, John's latest design is an 11-foot lug-rigged pram, a boat that falls between his 9-foot Sherpa and the 13-foot Tender Behind. She was commissioned by the folks at Small Craft Advisor, and built by the Northwest Maritime Center. Reports of her first and second sails have just been posted here, along with some great photos:
    http://smallcraftadvisor.com/message...facbad4f840b84

Default Re: Sea Trials of John Welsford's SCAMP!

I was actually in Port Townsend today myself, and I think I might have seen her there at the Boat Haven, getting ready to be launched, but I didn't have time to walk over to the other end of the marina to get a closer look, alas! It was pretty windy at times today--the ferry was quite lumpy. I'm glad to hear she performed like a champ!

An interesting little boat for sure. That stow-cabin is a nice idea. -- Wade

She looks even better than I expected.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

It's absolutely adorable!

Red face Re: Sea Trials of John Welsford's SCAMP!

For those who dont know of the project, the name is an acronym for Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project ( SCAMP) . Josh contacted me a while back and asked if it would be possible to design a boat as close as possible to 10 ft, that would be seaworthy enough to sail coastal in somewhat sheltered waters or to sneak along the edges of lakes and estuaries, to sleep on on board and to keep the camping gear dry.
    They liked the study proposal and I got most of the way through the plans before the builders persuaded SCA Editor Josh Colvin that it would work to scale her up to just under the Washington State 12 ft limit on unregistered boats. I did the sums and drew a new rig and NorthWest Boatbuilders ran her up on CAD then did a very nice job of building her.
    She has a single offcenterboard in the starboard side seat front, a 175 lb water ballast tank under the self draining cockpit floor, about 8 cubic feet of watertight locker space in the front half of that dummy cabin plus about the same under the seats, and just enough headroom under the after part of the cabin roof to sit in shelter.
    There is space to sleep one in the cockpit trench, or with filler pieces between the seats there is a pretty decent double bunk space. All in 11ft 11in.

Josh says she "sails like a freight train full of witches" . I love that, had not heard it before.

Its been a real fun project, and the resulting boat is something that the builders can be proud of, I am.

John Welsford. Proud daddy.
    Last edited by john welsford; 11-12-2010 at 12:17 PM.
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

You should be proud, John! Congratulations. It's a good-looking little boat, and I'm impressed by the initial reports.

It's nice to see how well the reefed sail sets. Note the lead for the halyard. From the front of the yard, opposite side of the mast from the yard and then to the midpoint of the yard. This means the halyard does not need re-positioning when reefing. Our Uk Scows need the sail to be dropped and the halyard attachment moved forward and then re-hoisted when reefing.
    MIK specifies this arrangement on his lug rigs and I can testify it works a treat. The design comes from around 1875!

Brian

What a great shot of her. The boat looks perfectly at home in that chop. That's a lot of able boat for its 11' 11". Congratulations John Welsford!

What a great little boat.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Interesting boat. Is there a purpose to the cabin?

I like that rig - very utilitarian

sails like a freight train full of witches
    trying to figure that one out.

Nice boat, BTW.

Big cockpit for a 12' boat with a cabin

high sides work in concert with the water ballast?

I wonder how a Beetle Cat (also 12') type hull with similar small cuddy would work/look in comparison with the pram hull

Congratulations!!!

She looks fantastic.

Great little boat. Nicely done.

Just for interest's sake, I imagine that the pram design was predicated on making the size limit described in the spec, while keeping the hull shape etc. of a slightly larger vessel.

For those who aren't limited by the regulatory condition that made the design limited to under 12', can someone argue for me the benefits/drawbacks of projecting the planks forwards in fair curves for the last foot or so and making a pointy end?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Really nice! Love the color scheme. It's one neat little boat.

-Trevor

Looks great! Are plans available yet?

Greg
    And if it doesn't work out
    There'll never be any doubt
    That the pleasure
    Was worth all the pain

Several purposes Black-Jack. One is that by disguising the huge forward locker as a cabin the boat has a huge amount of storage for its size, the brief was for a boat that could keep camping gear dry pretty much no matter what, and with airbed, sleeping bag, tent and cooking gear the side lockers under the seat were never going to be able to handle the bulky stuff. Second is styling, a "cruising boat" should look like a cruising boat, and although its really a "styling device" it does add to the first impression when you see the boat.
    It provides shelter from spray and wind, it has headroom enough to sit under the aft overhang of the cabin top, note that the seats dont run right forward so there is enough space for legs . The cookstove sits on the cockpit floor up in there so is out of the wind. There are secondary benefits such as bouyancy high up to help in a knockdown and a very deep bury for the free standing mast all of which helps make her suitable for her intended short haul cruising role.
    We're hoping that there will be an annual SCAMP cruise in the NorthWest somewhere each autumn, and I can imagine a bunch of these rafted up in a cove with pine trees all around and not even the slightest sign of mankind around to disturb the peace.
    John Welsford

Having been "cruising" at an average speed made good of 2 knots in a Lightning, I wonder, between sail and oars, how far one could get in a day in this design, in moderate conditions.

Dan
    Master of The Ensign's Gig: a 7 1/2 foot flat bottom plywood skiff,
    and Prudence: Lightning #7896.

Think Good Thoughts.
    Thoughts become words.
    Words become actions.
    Actions become habits.
    Habits become character.
    Character becomes destiny.

I really like the paint color combo and very well might <ahem> "borrow" it for mine own boat. Any intelligence on the paint and colors used?
    - Bill T.

"How many politically-correct people does it take to screw in a light-bulb?"

"Look, I don't know, but that's not funny."

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Stoll View Post
    Looks great! Are plans available yet?
    I believe they've started shipping plans. $149 for the set. And they will soon begin shipping plywood kits. Details here:
    http://smallcraftadvisor.com/message...c.php?f=3&t=45

At 60 miles an hour behind a car the cruising range will be pretty good even for just a weekend, and looking through google earth at the many lakes in the USA, there are many where an hour at 3 or 4 knots will take a little boat from a boatramp into wilderness where there are no roads or such for miles.
    That would suit me fine.

Cedric
    Quote Originally Posted by huisjen View Post
    Having been "cruising" at an average speed made good of 2 knots in a Lightning, I wonder, between sail and oars, how far one could get in a day in this design, in moderate conditions.

Dan

There's something very charming about Scamp. I saw her in the shop in PT a few weeks ago.

One question, when you drop the sail down and row, where do you stow the boom/sail/yard package? How does that work?
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    For those who aren't limited by the regulatory condition that made the design limited to under 12', can someone argue for me the benefits/drawbacks of projecting the planks forwards in fair curves for the last foot or so and making a pointy end?
    Hear, hear. She's a very fit and handsome craft, all told, with my only reservation being the bow. It might not be a bad idea to draw an alternate set of plans with the lines carried forward: a fair, wee snout. For those of us as prefers the looks of a Jack Russell to those of a Pug.
    Last edited by Chip-skiff; 11-12-2010 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    There's something very charming about Scamp. I saw her in the shop in PT a few weeks ago.

One question, when you drop the sail down and row, where do you stow the boom/sail/yard package? How does that work?
    The boat has a topping lift and will have lazyjacks, that keeps the sail and spars high enough to clear the rowers head. For longer distances one of the hatches in the forward bulkhead will be open and the bundled spars and sail laid along the seat top and into the locker at the forward end so the assembly lies flat on the seat well below the oars operating space.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Hear, hear. She's a very fit and handsome craft, all told, with my only reservation being the bow. .
    Thats what got me wondering about a Beetle Cat hull in my post #14...
    similar length 12' hull, possibly a wider hull, but it comes together at a point, The Beetle is known for world famous good looks, in large part thanks to that beautifully shaped spoon bow. The Beetle hull has a large (huge) front deck that is likely large enough to accomodate a pretend cabin very similar to the one on Scamp.

If Scamps bow was brought to a point it would look a little odd, lots of swoop to the sheer already. The bow, if brought to a point, would be very high and sharp looking.

I really like the photo in post #8

Its not that easy, the whole hull is different from a pointy stem boat. Its designed from the very beginning to be a high volume very full ended hull so just drawing a sharp bow by extending the lines doesnt really work.
    All of the boats in the series ( Tender Behind, Sherpa, Tread Lightly and now SCAMP) are similar in that they are all designed to suit situations where there is some constraint on length. That restriction may be regulatory as with SCAMP, the length of someones garage as a building space, or the length of a foredeck in the case of the two yacht tenders. They fit a lot of boat into a short length and that can have its advantages.
    I agree that they are not graceful, but very few people seem to object to the somewhat purposeful appearance. Bulldogs not whippets.
    I've done "whippets" as well, so people can make a choice.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Hear, hear. She's a very fit and handsome craft, all told, with my only reservation being the bow. It might not be a bad idea to draw an alternate set of plans with the lines carried forward: a fair, wee snout. For those of us as prefers the looks of a Jack Russell to those of a Pug.

A happy day for SCA readers everywhere! Woopee! Beautiful! Congratulations all around!

That boat is like a great pop song - it has a real hook to it. I keep coming back to look at the pictures again and again. Very nice indeed.

That photo in #8 is stunning, not just a pretty boat, an able boat. She's a real beauty, John & crew. Be proud of her.

Quote Originally Posted by orbb View Post
    trying to figure that one out.

Nice boat, BTW.
    For me "sails like a freight train full of witches " means "unstoppable and magical"

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Real nice. The wee cabin looks super to my eye,the SPRAY up here is very cold!!!

I really like the 'pseudo cabin'. The full-height buoyancy tank/locker is a great feature and a much better use of the space than trying to create some coffin-like accommodation. The small amount of shelter is just enough to give a feeling of being 'in the boat' and a great basis for a really palatial boom tent. It is almost exactly what I was trying to describe in my 'cruising rowboat' thread but better executed by Mr. Welsford than I could have ever imagined. If this type of cuddy were combined with a hull more suited for rowing it would be exactly what I am after.