Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seneca
    • Jul 2009

Re: Behr Spar Varnish - Update

On phone with Behr; they say all varnish products are now discontinued, and the only stock are a few cans that may be floating around. I'm trying to find a person to whom to write.....

Comment

• Black-Jack
      Banned
      • Jul 2010

well, that sucks

Comment

• Pacific Woody
        • Mar 2008

Damn! I've tried many varnishes and I love that Behr product. I think I'll be hitting up all the Home Depot's in my area this evening. Some big varnishing projects in the Spring!

Comment

• Bob Cleek
          • Feb 2000

Hell, mixing up a batch of old time quality varnish has got to be a lot easier and less hazardous than cooking up a batch of crystal meth. You gotta wonder why somebody just doesn't do it. (The varnish, I mean.) Steve Smith at Smith and Co. Industrial Coatings (of CPES fame) used to cook up a pretty damn good varnish, very reasonably priced, that he "sold out the back door" of his warehouse. Probably still does.

Comment

• Seneca
            • Jul 2009

I wrote customer service to see what the scoop actually is, since I've been given several conflicting pieces of information. Two days ago, I was told that there were 1,000 cases in stock; today I was told that it's gone, except for a few cans. When I have a reply, I'll post it here..

Comment

• outofthenorm
              Old dog with new tricks
              • Mar 2005

Okay, Fess up. Who ordered the 1,000 cases?

Comment

• StevenBauer
                LPBC member
                • Jan 2000

Originally posted by outofthenorm
                Must have been Pat Ford.

Steven

Comment

• David G
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by StevenBauer
                  Must have been Pat Ford.

Steven
                  David G
                  Harbor Woodworks
                  https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• Seneca
                    • Jul 2009

Bad News!

Here's the answer I received from Behr Customer Service. Now, everybody needs to write them and ask it to be reinstated! The email link is on www.behr.com.

"Thank you for contacting Behr Process Corporation.

We appreciate your continued interest and enthusiasm for our Behr Oil-Based Gloss Spar Vanish and your loyalty. We regret to inform you that this product has indeed been discontinued, and thus it is no longer available for purchase. At this time, there are no plans to manufacture the Oil-Based Spar and we must recommend that you check with local retailer for a similar product that may suit your needs.

We certainly appreciate that you have taken the time to inform us of the interest in the product, and sharing your feedback. We take the opinions of our customers very seriously, and we will make sure to share the information you have provided with the appropriate people within the organization."

Comment

• Tobago
                      • May 2007

Has anyone here used Jamestown Distributers varnish recipe? I'm not ready until Spring but I am looking for a tough varnish for use in the sun on a veranda.

Thanks,
                      Ted

Comment

• Jay Greer
                        • Nov 2004

Hi Gang,
                        I just sent a letter to Behr, expressing my regrets to their dropping of Behr Super Spar Varnish from their product line.
                        Jay

Comment

• Seneca
                          • Jul 2009

I wonder if they would be willing to part with the formula? There may still be a few cases roaming around as customer service told me a few days ago, but probably not as many as they had indicated.

Comment

• Jay Greer
                            • Nov 2004

I have often considered that. My guess is that the price would be beyond the means of any one of us.
                            But, it couldn't hurt to ask.
                            Jay

Comment

• pcford
                              boatwright/film/video
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by outofthenorm
                              Yeh, ok, you got me. It was actually a little over a thousand cases. 1032, to be exact.

Hey, I have a suggestion for you guys searching for this mystical varnish. Reach around and GRAB YOUR HAIR AND PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR BUTT!!!!
                              Go to Fisheries Supply and grab some Epifanes, Capains, Schooner, Man O'War or other 1 part traditional varnish. THEY ALL WORK AND PEOPLE HAVE BEEN USING THEM FOR YEARS!!!!

We all have favorite methods and products we use, but to say that this varnish is the one which is a quantum leap in quality over the rest just beggars credulity. It DOES NOT HAVE as some wag suggested, unicorn horn powder...What does it matter that it was "boiled in copper cauldrons?" Was it unique in that regard? It more than a little pompous to suggest to others that they should use a product because one happened to have used it in Southern California.

Oh, contrary to what the person touting Behr stated, Man O'War DOES have UV protection. It's not a very hip varnish these days...but I did a boat with it in the early 70s. It was still on the boat in the mid 80s.

When I first started, a "dock captain" would come strolling by my job and tell the owner some outlandish advice...and then my client would tell me to follow it. People will tell you the darnedest things. If you don't know something, ask several people for their opinion.

I have seen a lot of goofy stuff here, but this takes the cake! So much wasted time on this wild goose chase!

jeebus.

Comment

• David G
                                • Dec 2003

So Pat,

Interesting post and all, but what we really want to know is: Are you gonna use all that marvelous varnish your own self, or will you be offering some of it for sale <G>
                                David G
                                Harbor Woodworks
                                https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

Working...