Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Deblois Street Dory

Default Deblois Street Dory

very taken with these photo's of Clint's new dory design.

Very nice indeed. Well done Clint.

Brian

Default Re: Deblois Street Dory

Oooh - looks fast!
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Here are a few more from the messabout after Clint's shop talk a few weeks ago... and agreed, she is a pretty one. Shane did a really great job with the build.

Here are a couple of videos, too:

Steven

Fine looking boat!
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Finastkind.

I got to take the D. St. D. with Shane for a spin, which delighted me. Though I don't want to put words into anybody's mouth, the sprit rig is temporary, and the rig planned (at least by Clint) is a balanced lug with mizzen. The boat, even with the sprit, moved right along-- canvassed appropriately and she would be speedy for sure. The stability (that's me on the gunwale) is awesome, which one would expect. I could climb right up to the bow or hang over the transom and feel right at home. Throw in some classic New England lines, and this New England boy is in loooo-oooove! I am quite taken with her. Sails good, rows good, can carry me and nothing else or carry a load with style. Doesn't seem to be a rocket-science build. What's not to love?

Good design by Clint Chase, and beautifully put together by ShaneFromMaine for prototype numero uno. This one figures large in my future stable. I was impressed.

. . . .the rig planned (at least by Clint) is a balanced lug with mizzen.

That sounds like a great plan! With my favorite rig in her, this could be my favorite dory ever!

Yup. To my mind the lug yawl rig is a perfect fit for this boat and other Swampscotts. Nice work Clint and Shane. She's a beaut.

I got the chance to sail the Deblois two weekends ago at the CLint Chase/Walter Wales talk.
    the boat handled the breezy conditions wonderfully, with four aboard the dory slid along well with little heel in the 15-20+ mph wind and no reefs.
    we were tweaking the sail shape a little and it was better when Shane tightened the snotter, I wonder if you could attach the snotter lower on the mast Shane? mabey right at the top set of reef cringles. this might tigeten the lower luff of the sail a little more.
    The hull performed well throwing back the chop and making fine speed.
    Another dory, I think a Gardner recorded design, possibly a Hammond, was sailing for the first time and sliceing along nicely as well

[QUOTE=keyhavenpotterer;2766410]very taken with these photo's of Clint's new dory design.

[

What kind of wood did you use for the model?

I made the model from 1/4" birch ply, the profile lifted off the 1/4 scale lofting and the molds lifted off the 1/4 scale body plan, and pine for the battens, scaled to be the same width as the laps. I drew the hull round sided at 1 1/2" = 1' and then redrew at quarter scale round sided. Made the model, lined off the planking, then transferred the new plank lines (the inside lap lines, actually) back to the 1/4 scale lines plan. Then made a new table of offsets and handed those and drawings to Shane. He drew the body plan out direct and made the frames, a couple molds, and stem/transom. He did a great job with the lines.

I can't wait to make the refinements to the design. More sea trials are necessary, but I know mine will be with a lug and mizzen. That said, I like the look of the boat with the sprit very much, more than I thought I would. Shane's sprit sail is from a John Dory we built at Compass Project. He saved a lot of money by reusing that sail, so I just drew that into the plan. The mizzen helps replace the lost sail area. 90 SF would be good, but a good sailor (like Christophe!) could probably just take the GIS lug (105) and step it for some serious fun. I'm all for using sail rigs in more than one boat if possible.

Cheers
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Clint,

From the photos it looks like you located the CB just about in the center of the hull and the mast looks to be stepped about at the foot of the stem. It appears that the CE of that spritsail is well forward of the CLR of the hull. How is the balance with that arrangement, and how much weather helm does she carry, if any?

You are very observant, Terry! I mentioned that the boat was drawn with a mizzen and Shane has been sailing without it on account of the fact that he has not gotten around to making a mizzen and says the boat balances fine. When I sailed it there was a lee helm. So with the mizzen -- if the next builder follows the plan -- it will probably be just right. I'll also have a plan for just a sprit sail and no mizzen in which case either the Daggerboard will be moved fwd. the right amount and/or we'll rake the mast aft. I think a small sprit mizzen would be great for the boat. I was thinking of a lug main with sprit mizzen...I drew one of these for a Beachcomber and thought it looked dandy.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

A little lee helm without the mizzen is a good sign, and I bet she balances out with the additional sail. Instead of messing with the board location, why not add another step just in front of the case? Ross Lillistone has multiple steps on his new Periwinkle design that permits a wide variety of sail options, including using the mizzen as a storm sail in a forward step. I do believe the Beachomber would be terrific as a lug yawl, but that CB would need to be more in the center.

The way the step is now, it is elongate such that the mast rake can be changed but it does not seem to make a big difference in balance, but I have only sailed the D St D once but it was in a lot of wind, so the feedback was good. I may do what you say, but I like the gated partner and ability to lift the mast into position. The Culler way is to have a filler block in the partner that can be reversed to allow for two positions. That is one reason I like the idea of a larger mizzen, that it can be used for a storm sail or, coming home downwind, you can row and have the sail up....motor sailing! I am trying to work a bit with Maine Island Trail to see what their members would like. They did think a motor well option would be good. OK, I guess, but not what I was thinking. I envision a downeast cruise in this dory for two, I designed it with this in mind, as well as spirited dory sailing. I think the Storer style foil adds a lot to the D St Dory performance...it's actually the same daggerboard (and similar trunk) as used in the Goat Island Skiff. The foil can be seen in the other thread. It is quite amazing what a foil like this does for the performance of a boat like a sharpie or a dory, both not thought of as 'performance' boats.
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...hlight=Deblois

--Clint
    Last edited by Clinton B Chase; 11-07-2010 at 08:23 AM.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

Great feedback Clint. I'm looking forward to more reports as you get to know the boat better.

Ok hopefully this works. Sometime technology can get the better of me. Clint sent me images of some rendering for the Deblois Street Dory. They look sweet and I thought you all might be interested. He has the plans into cad, and in the next week or two should be able to start cutting kits and patterns on the CNC machine. I have the plans already and love this boat. Lug Yawl sail plan looks very cool in the drawings. I can't wait till she is in the water. Well here are the images. I hope.

Deblois Street Dory Rendering by Clint Chase Boatbuilder, on Flickr

Lovely from every angle!

Great job, Clint! That is a very above-average dory in looks alone! Do you plan to plank it five strakes or use the benefits of plywood to just keep a one-piece big garboard? It'll look great with the lug-yawl rig too!

It is the best modern set of lines for a traditional Swampscott style dory I have seen...

and I have looked at dorys by international small boat designers and major ply boat kit manufacturers.

Clint got some important design aspects right that allow the D.Street hull to ring true, where other modern designs are flat, just a little off, when compared with the great historic hulls.

Have to agree with Dan.
    It's hard to say what precise combination of elements makes a boat look right, but you know a good one when you see it. There's a zillion dory designs out there; most are mediocre, many are terrible, and just a few are exceptional. Clint's is a keeper.

After hours of head buried in my CAD files, it sure was nice to get this feedback. Thanks guys. Next week I put together another 1/4 scale model like the one in post #1 but with NC cut planks to test the computer model. 3D CAD is powerful stuff, but wood is good. The real model will be an important test.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

It might be too soon to ask, but what are your aims for this design?

Exclusive builder? Plans? Kits?

The proportions and curves are like music— It really is a beaut!

Chip-skiff

I have a set of plans and Clint an I are discussing a kit. The plans are extremely detailed with a few different sail plans. The kits are not ready to be cut quite yet but soon. He should be able to cut some kits with in the next month or so. Give or take a little.

I know they are not exclusively builder plans but I think and Clint correct me if I am wrong, these plans are for Clint to use with his family row/sailing the east coast.

Justin

The only hitch is the name.

Deh-blwah?

The average Wyoming knuckle-dragger would say Dee-blow-iss or Dee-bloys.

Most people uneasy with French wouldn't try to say it at all. Or they'd call it the D-Street Dory.

Whereas Goat Island Skiff presents no problems whatsoever.

why does everyone call it a GIS then?... must be those knuckle-dragging french speakers who are uneasy with English!

Dee-bloys is right, right?, thats how I say it, and I've never been to Wyoming...

there's no need for the correct French pronunciation of a street name in Portland Maine, mabey if Deblois st. were in Montreale you would have a point.

if your embarased about pronunciation call it a Swampscott dory.
    Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 02-15-2011 at 09:24 AM.

I do believe over time it will become known as the Chase Dory.

Chamberlain
    Chasion...
    Chase

Chase Dory. I like it! Someone oughtta build one to those lines in traditional lapstrake. I might be willing to handle the responsibility. . . .

James I believe he designed it to not only be build in plywood but also traditional lapstrake. Get on it. I really want to see that. If you build it I will trailer mine to Anacortes and sail with ya. What about Clint Chase Dory. The CCD for short. CCD is kind nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    Chamberlain
    Chasion...
    Chase
    Careful there Dan. We don't want Clint's head to swell so much he can't get through the door.
    (But I do agree this boat belongs in that company.)

Yeah. Here's some pics of the Building Classic Small Craft dory (chapter 11) I just acquired. Clint's design is definitely sweeter, especially the line-off and the sheer.

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeah. Here's some pics of the Building Classic Small Craft dory (chapter 11) I just acquired. Clint's design is definitely sweeter, especially the line-off and the sheer.

As fun as that dory is, the sheer does seem a bit lifeless.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan St Gean; 02-16-2011 at 11:06 AM.

I can't see the screen....my head is so big, now.

James, Yes, a 5th plank is in the model so it can be built trad. The planks are a bit wider than say the Gardner dory, because I am biasing it a little more towards plywood and NC cut plywood for that matter.

Oh, and Deblois Street Dory sounds much cooler than Chase Dory. The name stays, boys! You think Deblois pronunciation is bad, you should hear the calls I get about Vivier's boats and the attempted pronunciations there...hey I live in Maine, half American, half -French Canadian. We say

"Duh-bloy". 'Duh-bloy' Street Dory.
    Last edited by Clinton B Chase; 02-15-2011 at 11:48 AM. Reason: trying to teach people how to pronounce my boat!
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine