Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45

Thread: The North Channel by Sail and Oar

Default Re: The North Channel by Sail and Oar

If you're going to be uploading more photos, then I guess I oughtta head to the store for some Raspberry Newtons tonight, so I have munchies while I read.

Well, I got some of 'em posted--more tomorrow.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    If you're going to be uploading more photos, then I guess I oughtta head to the store for some Raspberry Newtons tonight, so I have munchies while I read.
    You can only eat the testy ones though!
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

Actually, I was too lazy to go and buy any, but I fully intend to decimate a whole regiment of them once I can get around to it.

hey Tom

i know you posted something about the evolution of JAGULAR'S SAIL'S

would you give me a hint(link) as to where it is?

specifically interested in the LUG RIG, you are now using

thanks

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

I don't know exactly where I've posted about the different rigs I've used (85 sq ft lateen, 60 sq ft spritsail (with and without sprit boom), 60 sq ft boomless standing lug), but I'm now using a balance lug--I got the dimensions from a set of plans for Jim Michalak's Mixer design. I believe he uses the same sail for his Piccup Pram. I think the original sail was 58 sq ft, but my Mixer plans had an addendum with dimensions for a 68 sq ft sail. That's the one I used. I'm not sure if the dimensions are published anywhere, but Jim's plans are only $30-40, so it might be worth it.

Hope that helps!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Awesome! I just finished Tom's book a few minutes ago so it is great to find this thread with the pictures to go along with the story. Well done Tom. I was a little skeptical at first about Jagular's role in the story, I thought I might tire of his wit and caustic comments, but it worked very well and I enjoyed it more as the book progressed. The story of the boy in the inflatable with the dogs is priceless for anyone who knows Labs.

Scott,

thanks for the feedback--I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I had a lot of fun writing it (and, of course, sailing the stories). That Lab was amazing, all right. Not in a good way.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    I don't know exactly where I've posted about the different rigs I've used (85 sq ft lateen, 60 sq ft spritsail (with and without sprit boom), 60 sq ft boomless standing lug), but I'm now using a balance lug--I got the dimensions from a set of plans for Jim Michalak's Mixer design. I believe he uses the same sail for his Piccup Pram. I think the original sail was 58 sq ft, but my Mixer plans had an addendum with dimensions for a 68 sq ft sail. That's the one I used. I'm not sure if the dimensions are published anywhere, but Jim's plans are only $30-40, so it might be worth it.

Hope that helps!

Tom
    just what i wanted to know

MANY GARCIA'S

sw

steve

Tom, I enjoyed reading Jagular Goes Everywhere. I have been told that Jagular and I have a lot in common.

I would like to hear more about Georgian Bay. I will be going there this summer to sail.

We need more on your Alaska build also. It will be a GREAT camp cruiser. I have the plans for it and plan to build it one day.

Kevin,

you're going to love Georgian Bay (and I'm glad you enjoyed the book). Let me know if you have any questions about places to see, etc.--I only got two days east/south of the Bustard Islands and then had to turn back to the North Channel, but I'll be going back as often as I can. It may be my new favorite place to sail. Do you know where you'll be launching from? What kind of boat are you taking?

As for the Alaska, my plan is to basically move into the shop when it warms up enough to work, and not emerge until it's ready. I may try and take a few photos if I remember.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

I will be taking my MarshCat, Mike will bring his Haven, Doug will bring his Cornish Shrimper, Phil will bring his Curlew, and a SeaPearl will lead us. I will have to find out where we are launching from but I think 10000 islands sounds familiar. We are going there after a week of sailing in Maine in the same boats. Peter in a Caledonia Yawl and Eddie in a Snooty Tern may also attend.

Happy New Year, Kevin!
    I think you are in the wrong neighborhood.
    It looks like a great cruise. Let's plan for the future!
    Georgian Bay (French: Baie Georgienne) is a large bay of Lake Huron, located entirely within Ontario, Canada. The main body of the bay lies east of the Bruce Peninsula and Manitoulin Island. To its northwest is the North Channel.
    "I am what I am and I am what I am that I am." - Popeye 20th Century A.D.

Slow.
    Cranky.
    Not particularly attractive.
    Not well built.
    Poorly maintained.
    Argumentative.
    Un-recoverable in case of capsize.
    Poor windward ability.
    Needs work.
    Goes sailing anyway.

Yep. I can see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Gottlund View Post
    Happy New Year, Kevin!
    I think you are in the wrong neighborhood.
    It looks like a great cruise. Let's plan for the future!
    Georgian Bay (French: Baie Georgienne) is a large bay of Lake Huron, located entirely within Ontario, Canada. The main body of the bay lies east of the Bruce Peninsula and Manitoulin Island. To its northwest is the North Channel.
    I'm guessing he means Thirty Thousand Islands, which is in southeastern Georgian Bay, near Parry Sound. I didn't make it that far south. Yet.

Kevin, does that sound right? You'll have a whole big bunch of people with you--should be fun.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Slow.
    Cranky.
    Not particularly attractive.
    Not well built.
    Poorly maintained.
    Argumentative.
    Un-recoverable in case of capsize.
    Poor windward ability.
    Needs work.
    Goes sailing anyway.

Yep. I can see it.
    Hmm... do you notice how you never see Jagular and KMac in the same room at the same time? Hmm...

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

^ Good one Tom.

Jagular sounds like one of the PNW scows.

Peter, 10000 islands is up by the lakes and so is Georgian Bay I think. Its just a lake so they must be close by each other.

Well, what do you know--after losing all my photos to the great Photobucket debacle, this thread went dead--but I've just discovered that the photos have magically reappeared!

So, a bump to this thread about my first big sail and oar solo cruise (except for doing the Texas 200 the year before, which you can read about HERE if you're so inclined--one of my favorite Jagular stories).

But this thread is about spending 20 days in the North Channel in my first boat (and the subject of my first book), a Bolger Pirate Racer named Jagular, which I built for under $300 including the sail (which, being made of white polytarp material and double-sided carpet tape, matched the craftsmanship of the rest of the boat perfectly).

Here's Jagular under boomless spritsail, which replaced the original lateen rig with its ridiculous-for-cruising 18' yard in a 14' boat:

IMG_4998.jpg

Later I rigged Jagular with a 68 sq ft balance lug, which was by far the best rig I used with that boat.

My new boat, the Don Kurylko-designed Alaska I launched about a year ago:

Alaska.jpg

is a much "better" boat than Jagular, no doubt about it. But there's something special about those first adventures in such a clunky little cheap boat, a magic that can't entirely be recaptured now that I have an excellent boat, great sails, and (dare I say) a little more skill as a sailor.

Anyway, if you haven't seen this thread before and you're interested in small boat cruising, it's worth a look. Cheers!

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Tom, I just discovered this thread and I am over halfway in your book. I was wondering all the time what Bolger boat Jagular was till today. First I got irritated that you borrowed the style with the talking boat from Tom in the Townie, then read the acknowledgement that you start with explaining why. I like the book very much and admire the style: I think its far easier to write fiction then an entertaing travel story.

FF, you are quite right

a captivating travel log is rare

and one that is educational t'boot is even more rare ;-)

sw

steve

Quote Originally Posted by FF View Post
    Tom, I just discovered this thread and I am over halfway in your book. I was wondering all the time what Bolger boat Jagular was till today. First I got irritated that you borrowed the style with the talking boat from Tom in the Townie, then read the acknowledgement that you start with explaining why. I like the book very much and admire the style: I think its far easier to write fiction then an entertaing travel story.
    Thanks for the comments. Tom McGrath's book Voyages of the Damn Foole was certainly an inspiration (it's a great book, one of my favorites in any genre), as will be immediately obvious to anyone who's read both his book and mine. In case anyone's interested, here's how that came about.

I actually wrote the first version of the first of my Jagular stories ("Jagular Gets Rescued") without any talking boat, or talking anything. Chuck Leinweber found it on my website when I signed up for the 2009 Texas 200, and asked me if he could publish it in Duckworks, which was how I got started writing for him.

Next I wrote a version of "Jagular Goes South" for Duckworks after doing the Texas 200. In the process I learned that it's virtually impossible to write a story about being alone in a small boat for 14 hours a day--at least, it's impossible if you want that story to be even mildly interesting. Most writers dodge this issue by writing more about the geography and history of the area they are traveling through, and less about the moment-by-moment action, but I didn't want to do that. I wanted my stories to really capture the reality of sailing a tiny little boat, and not get side-tracked into all that stuff.

Hmm... what to do. I had read Tom McGrath's book, but really wanted to avoid copying him, so I knew a talking boat was out. That's how I hit on the idea of the talking Raspberry Newtons (still uncomfortably close to copying to me), which proved immensely popular with readers. Even better, I really had fun writing their lines and using them as a foil to the "Tom Pamperin" character.

Later, when I decided to put my Jagular stories into a book, I knew I needed a unified style. I also came to the conclusion that whether it was the boat or the Newtons or whatever, having a talking anything meant I owed a large stylistic debt to Tom McGrath--especially since my own character kind of echoed the curmudgeonly narrator in his book. And if I was already in debt to Voyages of the Damn Fool, then there wasn't much point in NOT having a talking boat. So I went ahead with the talking boat from there, and re-wrote the old stories to match, hoping that I'd have enough of an individual spin on it that it would maybe be a little bit more than just a rip-off of Tom McGrath's fine book.

To what extent I succeeded, I don't know. But I sure had fun writing this book!

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 05-19-2018 at 02:20 PM.

www.tompamperin.com

A good explanation, thanks .
    Perhaps this started with Cervantes: The boat is Sancho Pancha, which makes you Don Quichote.
    I see possibilties for myself now.

I have to admit, I found myself actually talking to Rowan myself by day 28 of my last long solo trip. Maybe it’s not so far-fetched to anthropomorphise your boat a little bit in your head. Or maybe I just wanted to talk to someone who knew all the ridiculous things I’d been up to and could sympathise.

Looking forward to getting back in her again in a few weeks. It’s been a while.

I have to admit, I found myself actually talking to Rowan myself by day 28 of my last long solo trip. Maybe it’s not so far-fetched to anthropomorphise your boat a little bit in your head. Or maybe I just wanted to talk to someone who knew all the ridiculous things I’d been up to and could sympathise.

Looking forward to getting back in her again in a few weeks. It’s been a while.
    So when are you and Rowan going to show up in the Great Lakes? I'll be on the water for most of July...

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

I will be in the Salish Sea at the end of June. But I won’t make it inland from there anytime soon, I’m afraid. Some summer I might trailer her across to do the circumnavigation of Manhattan, though, and if I do, I’ll plan a week or two in the middle then.