Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The North Channel by Sail and Oar

Default The North Channel by Sail and Oar

So, this past summer, while I was supposed to be building my new boat (Don Kurylko's Alaska http://www.dhkurylko-yachtdesign.com/designs.htm ), I frittered away lots of good warm building time with a three-week trip to the North Channel in my little Bolger boat. This was supposed to be a temporary boat to tide me over until my "real" boat is completed, but it's turning out to be a lot less temporary than I thought it would be.

Here we're just crossing the border from Michigan to Canada, day 2. When I landed in Hilton Beach, my phone check-in with Canadian customs went something like this: "What make and model is your boat?" Me: "It's home-made." A chuckle. "How long is your boat?" Me: "Fourteen feet." Outright laughter, then: "Good luck." That was about it.

Hilton Beach marina on St. Joseph island, day 3. As you can see, there ain't a whole lot of sail and oar boats in the North Channel. And all that stuff piled up in this photo? That all fits through an 8" diameter bulkhead hatch. It just doesn't fit out again without a wrassling match.

On day 3 we camped on Africa Rock. Yep, it's a rock. Happiness is a boat you can drag up on shore just about anywhere.

Not a single small open boat anywhere so far. Covered about 40 miles (about 15 miles rowing, 25 sailing) from the start. Some big sailboats, all of them motoring downwind with furled sails. Made me happy to be in my little boat.

But of course, the new boat ain't getting done...

I'll post more later if there's any interest.

Tom

Default Re: The North Channel by Sail and Oar

I'm hella interested in hearing more!
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Well, there it is then; I'll post more tomorrow. Especially since you, Big Food, and a certain other West Coast balance lug yawl enthusiast are at least partly to blame for inspiring my own voyages.

Tom

Great thread.

I'm from superior wis. originally. Some beautiful waters up there. Must be nice not having to worry about tides.

All right! This is my kind of thread! More, please!
    Hige sceal že heardra, heorte že cenre, mod sceal že mare, že ure męgen lytlaš.

Almost home waters for me, but the only time on the North Channel for me was in a big charter. There is some shore line like that around Duluth but not much, it's mostly cliffs. I would like to hear more and photos lots of photos.
    "The hand feeds the mind."
    Weston Farmer

+1
    We've gone up there for a few years now.
    A while ago there were a few groups of small boats that we had seen,but not in the last coupla years.
    They hang out at beaches like on South Benjamin or Croker Island.
    A notable one is Raggedy Annie,IIRC, a retired American Coastie who spends the summers cruising on her wee boat.
    More pics please!
    R
    "Now Ron,don't you do anything stupid!" - Grandma B.

Must be nice not having to worry about tides.
    That's what I used to think, too (it's a common misconception about Great Lakes sailing). But take a look at the picture below. Turns out that at low tide, the water level can drop so far that it leaves the islands themselves high and dry.

Thanks for the interest, by the way; more to come today, uploading my photos to Photobucket now.

Tom

Can't wait to see more. I'm stuck up here in Wyoming with nothing but one river and a few lakes so there is no "adventure" to be had really other than going around in circles You guys keep me going by following your adventures.

George
    George

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post

Tom

We're interested. Is that a Windsprint?

Steven

For others like me who don't know where North Channel is, here's a google maps link (when on the page in this link, click on the map thumbnail to go to the full map window where you can zoom and pan).

And a Wiki link...

Tom
    i'm interested too
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Is that a Windsprint?
    Nope; actually it's a Pirate Racer (called the "Child's Pirate Boat" on Dynamite Payson's website, a name my wife would argue is more fitting...) built from the small plans included in Boats With An Open Mind.

Originally, it was supposed to have an 85 sq. ft. lateen rig, like this:

But that was an 18' yard in a 14' boat, not the perfect cruising rig. And besides, things like this:

kept happening, since I made the yard of solid fir (!!!!) but still made it the size Bolger designed for his hollow, box-section spar. Oops.

So I experimented with a boomless spritsail for a while, then a spritsail with a sprit boom (better), before installing the 68 sq ft balance lug from Jim Michalak's Mixer design (best!):

Later,

Tom

Great thread! More please!
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Fritter away with the photos! I've always wanted to sail at least one of those lakes, and the North Channel looks very promising. Africa Rock looks wonderful for a lunch stop... if you can keep upwind of the seagull crap.

Bucket list stuff.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

I've also come to the inescapable conclusion that the balance lug is the Holy Grail of cruising rigs for a small open boat. Do you have any more commentary on the pro and cons of the previous rigs from your experience?

Do you have any more commentary on the pro and cons of the previous rigs from your experience?
    Well, my experience is less than yours, I think. So if you notice anything in the photos that you can bring to my attention (sail adjustments, sheeting, rig set-up, etc.) please tell me; I'm still figuring it all out. But for what it's worth:

I love my balance lugsail. It saved my bacon twice on this North Channel trip; once we broached when running downwind (didn't have enough reef points but thought I could keep going...) and only the ability to drop the whole rig in a split second kept us from capsizing. We BARELY made it, and even then we shipped enough water from breaking waves that the sloshing action almost took us out anyway. With any other rig, no chance at all. That alone makes a balance lug worth it in my book, especially when cruising alone relatively far from civilization. And with the boom it's very fast downwind. Big sloops couldn't pass me without motoring. (But they're always motoring, so maybe that doesn't count for much).

The second time, I was in exactly the same conditions, but I actually recognized them in time (imagine that! I done learnt something) and just dropped the rig and rowed casually to a nearby island. I have to kneel (or stand, even) to drop my sprit rig. Much easier with a balance lug, just reach over and uncleat the halyard. Same for hoisting--simple with the balance lug, not so simple with the sprit rig (I didn't have a halyard, which would have made it a bit simpler, but still no comparison to the ease of the lug rig).

I liked the spritsail for its light weight and simplicity (and because you get a "snotter" with it), but I never found a good way to reef it. But that sprit was a LONG spar to fit in my boat (an 11' spar in a 6 1/2' cockpit). I felt like I was in a jousting match whenever I rowed around with the spar stuck in my boat. Which might be handy in some circumstances, come to think of it. With the sprit boom, that was a good downwind sail, too. But not as good.

The lateen? With a lighter spar it would be good, but not for cruising. Actually seems a lot like the balance lug (no surprise, perhaps) but just made as inconvenient as possible.

Tom

Downwind is always the trickiest point of sail for small boats -- and the 'death roll' all too common when swells get into the action.

The best rig for those conditions I've sailed with in a single-masted boat as been a marconi with sprit-boom and no jib or forestay -- what I called a Faux Leg O' Mutton. I was able to just let go of the mainsheet and let the spritboom rotate downwind all the way forward. I could then go forward and pull the sail down.

Of course a mizzenmast would be much nicer as long as you can depower the mainsail enough and get sideways through the swell.

"The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

So, for those wondering just exactly where I went, the image below shows the west end of North Channel (the sheltered waters at Lake Huron's north end, separated from the rest of the lake by Drummond, Cockburn, and Manitoulin Islands). I started from the eastern tip of Michigan's UP, and sailed clockwise around to finish on Drummond Island. We covered about 240 miles or so in all.

After camping on Africa Rock, we hit a long stretch of open, rocky coast--I wasn't sure where I'd be able to camp. It proved very difficult to get ashore safely, lots of rocks, and enough wave action so we could easily have been dropped onto a big rock and had the bottom of the boat knocked out. And there was a gusty bunch of thunderstorms going on at the time, of course. But I needed to camp somewhere, so finally I spotted a tiny beach, ran the gauntlet of boulders and breaking waves, and ended up here:

for our fourth night. The rainbow was a nice touch, I thought.

This was the diciest stretch of the trip, though. Not much shelter, kind of risky going ashore in those conditions. But it worked out ok. I think I'd plan to avoid this stretch of the coast in future trips.
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 11-10-2010 at 06:54 PM.

Anyone ever use a lug on a multihull? I saw Gary Dierking is using a junk presently on his Wa'apa.

WI-Tom, I'm down in Chicago and getup to WI every summer. I did a similar trip via kayak from Killarny to the Key river a few years ago and am itching to get back!

Dan

So on day 5, forecast called for W winds increasing to 20 knots by evening. A day for an early start if ever there was one. A day to wear my drysuit! (Yep, I bought one on sale at REI ($350)for this trip, wore it whenever I got nervous, or mostly when I had to reef--like today).

I left before 7 a.m. Still, had to stop at tiny Richelieu Island to tie in a reef:

Below is the view from the summit of Richelieu Island, looking due east:

Running dead downwind parallel to shore, I managed to jibe (unintentionally) while taking pictures like this:

But jibes, apparently, are relatively gentle with a lug rig, and we survived. But I quit taking pictures. Shortly afterwards, though, a wave caught us from behind. Next thing I knew, the bow slid off to starboard (we were on a starboard tack at the moment) and waves were breaking into the cockpit. I managed to uncleat the halyard and drop the whole rig--couldn't have had much time to spare. We were REAL close to going over. Shipped half a cockpit of water, which we only survived with a few minutes of frantic bailing.

After it was all over, I took this photo:

I couldn't believe it--it looks pretty tame. Just dropping the sail apparently shrunk the waves by about 43.6%. Actually, it was a revelation for me--waves don't have to very big to be TOO big.

So what do you think? I had only one set of reef points (58 sq ft of sail). Would another set of reef points have prevented this? I suspect the answer is "yes." Is there a way to run downwind in high winds safely? What exactly happened? It was so fast I'm not sure I really understood it--other than being overpowered for the conditions. That near miss made me a LOT more conservative, realizing that dangerous conditions won't necessarily LOOK that bad. Is that true in everyone else's experience, too?

Anyway, we survived; I rowed to shore where I discovered this delightful (and completely deserted cove) to camp:

We'd covered 20+ miles and it was still early afternoon, but I was a bit spooked and ready for an easy afternoon ashore in a beautiful spot. Five days of sailing, and we're just getting near the "real" North Channel--the Turnbull Islands and the Whalesback Channel.

Later,

Tom

Downwind is always the trickiest point of sail for small boats
    Thorne (or anyone who knows),

so how DO you sail downwind safely in a single-masted balance lug-rigged boat? Should I have been tacking downwind? I thought about it, but REALLY liked how much eastward progress I was making by running dead downwind. Would a smaller sail have tamed things? If so, why?

Thanks,

Tom

Day 6 brought a brief breakfast stop in a marina in Blind River, Ontario (a nice clean beautiful hassle-free arena), then a run to the Turnbull Islands. Saw lots of big 'glass sloops, all motoring. (Small boats really do have more fun). Landed here, on Caroline Island:

Camped here (one of my favorite camps, spent two nights here):

The big boats were anchored in a cove about 1/2 mile away; I rowed over in the evening. At each boat, I'd have a conversation something like this:

Them: "Where did you get here from?"

Me: "Michigan."

Them: "Michigan?! In that little boat?"

Me: "Yep."

Them: "Here, have a cold beer. Have another one. Have some brats. Have some venison steak. Have a glass of wine. Have some cheese and crackers. Here, take these leftovers."

So, no Chef Boyardee in the Turnbulls!

Next day (a rest day) I took a little rowing expedition to nearby Round Island, which had some impressive cliffs. We landed on a rocky beach:

Climbed up (wasn't exactly easy, but not too bad; maybe 5.4 if you're a climber and know what that means):

Came back for more food from big boats (friendly folks, sailors) and a pleasant evening. The Turnbulls were great; lots of islands packed very tightly together, some sand beaches (NE corner of Caroline Island for one), bald eagles.

And did I mention how everyone wants to feed you when you're in a small open boat?

If I had less time, a good trip would be to start in Blind River and sail east through the Whalesback Channel. Could even arrange to drop a car at the Spanish marina and do a one-way trip with car shuttles. Or take Greyhound back from Spanish, then drive back and get your boat. But for me, the "real" North Channel (lots of islands, wilderness feel) starts at the Turnbulls and continues east.

More later,

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 11-04-2010 at 09:58 PM.

A while ago there were a few groups of small boats that we had seen,but not in the last coupla years.
    They hang out at beaches like on South Benjamin or Croker Island.
    A notable one is Raggedy Annie,IIRC, a retired American Coastie who spends the summers cruising on her wee boat.
    Funny you should mention Raggedy Annie (Anne Westlund's boat); she'll be appearing later in the story...

Tom

All right! This is my kind of thread! More, please!
    Doesn't take long for the usual suspects to show up, does it? (The secret: put "sail & oar" into your title somewhere) Welcome aboard, James; I've enjoyed reading about you, Yeadon, and Eric and your PNW adventures. Nice to turn the tables on you!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by gstanfield View Post
    Can't wait to see more. I'm stuck up here in Wyoming with nothing but one river and a few lakes so there is no "adventure" to be had really other than going around in circles You guys keep me going by following your adventures.
    No adventure???!! You need to take up climbing, that's all. Are you anywhere near the Wind River Mountains? Maybe one of my three favorite places.

But sailing, maybe not so much. Still, I have to drive 26 hours to climb in Wyoming, so I think we're even. The West is great, but if you're not on the ocean, you can't beat the Great Lakes. Life is good.

Tom

Thorne (or anyone who knows),

so how DO you sail downwind safely in a single-masted balance lug-rigged boat? Should I have been tacking downwind? I thought about it, but REALLY liked how much eastward progress I was making by running dead downwind. Would a smaller sail have tamed things? If so, why?

Thanks,

Tom
    I'm never big on running straight downwind, and am mgenerally on at least a touch of a reach. Though I never get the deathrolls like I got with my old sprit-rig I still get a funny feeling straight downwind. it's also tougher to grind your way back up into the wind in a hurry when you're dead downwind -- and in a yikes moment, it's nice for a bit of weather helm to help you react quickly and turn back upwind if necessary.

Another thing to consider ... the chicken-gybe ... in which you turn back up into the wind, then fall off onto the other tack. It's always an option. I did it more with my sprit rig, but I still do it when things are nuts.

And did I mention how everyone wants to feed you when you're in a small open boat?

Tom
    Seriously! I've been handed cold beer at so many beaches that I've basically quit carrying booze in the boat.

One day I rowed for hours, pulled into a harbor, and had a couple in a boat yell ... "Do you like grilled pork?"

"Ummm yes."

"Do you like scotch?"

"YES"

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    I'm never big on running straight downwind, and am generally on at least a touch of a reach.
    So, Yeadon,

I sometimes (like that day, and once before running downwind in about 20 knots on the Texas 200) feel like steering off a bit would be risky, too. Somehow it seems like "if I can just avoid a jibe" it'll be safer than turning. What do you think? Have you had that perception that starting to steer off a bit is scary in those conditions? It's the transition between "dead downwind" and "a bit of a reach" that frightens me, for some reason. Kind of like "If I survive these next few moments, I'll be safely on my new heading--but I'm not SURE I'll survive these next few moments...)

But I've adopted your "always be on a bit of a reach" mentality since then, so maybe my problems with that part of it are over, anyways.

Tom

A sustained all-day 20 knots probably wears on you mentally and physically ... so much more than a 20 knot daysail for three or four hours. I can see how you'd get a little weary after a while. That's when I make goofy mistakes.

Especially when you're dead downwind, and there's that moment with a push/pull rudder where you think, hmmm, is this a push or a pull to get upwind a bit? So you tap it one way, then the other - never too hard - until you figure it out. That might be the weirdness I feel. If you hit it too hard the wrong way, that sail will flop across and you'll be running to the high side of the boat.

I would love love love to take Big Food on the Texas 200. I was just in Lubbock last weekend for a wedding, and was thinking, man, Texas is a long ways away from home, how would I pull this off?

Tom,

I've always had more trouble with accidental gybes running dead downwind in Hornpipe in lighter air than in heavier air. In lighter air, I find it more controllable and just about as fast to gybe downwind rather than run. In 20+ kts, there seems to be enough wind to keep the sail and yard pinned firmly to one side of the mast. Hornpipe also steers very easily and it is not too difficult to keep pointed dead downwind.

All bets are off if there is too much sail up, though, which situation I've found myself in more than once. This summer's cruise I found myself in 20-25 kts going downwind and the reefed mizzen in the centre mast step provided more than enough power to stay and hull speed with the occasional surf.
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Arran Islands Fisherman

Thanks for sharing your trip, it makes me miss summer.

FWIW- I like to reach a little on one tack or another when running down wind.

Jim
    Eternal optimist and a slow learner.
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow
    SOF Ruth Wherry
    and a new SOF Whitehall too.

A balance lug with its self-vanging qualities and gentle gybing characteristics is one of the friendliest of all small boat rigs for a dead run. With that said, I still prefer a broad reach and tacking downwind for all of the reasons stated above. The friendliest of small boat rigs still doesn't get you entirely past the fact that you're still in a small boat.

If your sheet is long enough, you can let the whole thing go and just stream it dead downwind to survive a death gust. Reel it back in after you've regained your composure.

Death gust!

(And with that, Admiral McMullen reaches new heights of balance lug hyperbole. Good show, sir.)

Great thread, Tom. Can you stretch it out till about March for us?
    I miss that part of the country (just a little) when I see those rocky little islands. What a great place to cruise.
    And, yeah, what the Admiral said: "If your sheet is long enough, you can let the whole thing go and just stream it dead downwind to survive a death gust. Reel it back in after you've regained your composure."

Regarding sailing down wind, I always reach as my 17ft Salty Heaven cat yawl has no booms. The conditions can be deceptive downwind as the strength of the breeze is not as obvious as going upwind. Having been caught a couple of times with too much up I am conservative about reefing. You don't need much rag up to make good time downwind, if it's fresh. Two things I've learned. 1. Keep the centreboard raised. If you become overpowered the boat will skid rather than trip. 2. If a big gust hits resist the temptation to turn into it to spill the wind. This increases the apparent wind and only makes things worse. Ease sheets, and bear off. The boat will stop heeling and you can then think about taking in that reef that you should have done a while ago. The trick is off course not to bear away too much. That way lie the dreaded death rolls and maybe even an accidental gybe. When it's windy, though, it's pretty easy to tell when you're in the right groove.

The main lesson is have several rows of reef points and reef early.

JL

Those two items you mentioned are critical - Centerboard up, keep sailing straight through gusts. The third thing to remember (for non-catboats at least) is to not let the sail go forward of the mast -- otherwise it can be Death Roll City...

Really agree with the reef early option! Not enough small boats have reefing systems these days, as many folks are just fair-weather (and wind) sailors -- but if you go far enough out, you'll need to reef.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

More pictures please! I missed my last summer's trip & I'm living vicariously.

Dan

About the centerboard -- back when I had a sprit rig, I used mine as a brake. Board up, and we'd be flying along, but when things started to get gusty, I'd drop the board and slow down. I felt like I had more control. Maybe it was all in my head.

Most of these control issues have been handled with the balance lug and its "boom of death," as perhaps the Admiral might describe it.

Thanks for all the responses about downwind sailing; you've pretty much confirmed my own conclusions:

1) If it's windy enough to be called "windy," don't run dead downwind unless you have to.

2) More reef points wouldn't hurt.

3) Chicken gybe as necessary (actually, I found this psychologically comforting but more difficult in practice than just gybing carefully; my flat-bottomed hull doesn't always make it around to the new tack in any kind of waves--and if you're paying attention, gybing with the balance lug is a fairly calm maneuver. I think if it was too windy to gybe, I'd be rowing or I'd be safe ashore.)

4) Conditions may not seem as risky as they are, especially when sailing downwind.

5) Accidental gybes don't seem like a problem with a balance lug rig. Yes, I gybed (once) when I wasn't expecting it, but I was moving around the boat taking pictures, shifting my weight, not really looking where I was steering, so that one was my fault. The lugsail really makes it easy to just head straight downwind without much fear.

6) Which I've come to realize is probably a bad idea--see #1 above.

7) And #4.

Anyway, I'll have some more pictures this evening. Back to work for now,

Tom

Great thread. And although I need a boat big enough to live on in case the wife throws me out, you S & O guys sure seem to have a lot of fun...

Tacking downwind can be safer and faster than running. Certainly less stressful.....less worry of jibing or broaching. It applies to most sailing craft from Sunfish to cruising boat.

Thanks for the story!

So, two days in the Turnbulls. Could easily have spent a week, but I needed to make it back to my car sometime--meaning westward, against the prevailing wind. I wasn't sure if that would be practical, actually. Maybe I'd end up pulling out at Spanish marina and taking a Greyhound back to the UP. Maybe I should just keep sailing eastward right off my chart, into Georgian Bay, and worry about getting home when the time came.

But the loop, for some reason, offered a more satisfactory solution, a journey completely by sail and oar, more self-sufficient. That's what I wanted to do if I could pull it off. So, off we went to the Whalesback Channel, about a 6-mile hop (though only 1-2 miles off the mainland):

We're reefed here, in 15 knots or so, once again heading almost dead downwind (ALMOST--I've learned something by now). I'm not sure it offeres any advantage to roll the reef around the boom, but that's how I did it.

A brief lull almost suckered me into taking out my reef halfway across, but I decided to wait 10 minutes. Sure enough, 9 minutes later we had even more wind than before. I came screaming into the Whalesback Channel, looking for shelter, and ended up finding a little island in Beardrop Harbour to camp on:

I ran into the harbor in more wind than I felt I needed(), and tried the chicken gybe maneuver Yeadon described in an earlier post. Nope. Didn't quite make it around on the new tack, almost ran ashore on some rocks, and had to gybe instead. Turned out to be easy. (A LOT easier than with the original lateen rig! We'd have capsized for sure.)

The day got windier and windier; before long, Beardrop Harbour looked like this as more and more cruisers ducked in for shelter (the photo was taken from the cliffs to the east, where I'd gone on a picture-taking and blueberry-eating expedition after setting up my tent):

My campsite is on the island near the center of the picture; just BARELY enough room to set up a tiny backpacking tent under a few pines. Somehow there was just BARELY enough room for my tent every night, it seems.

Again, handling the boat was simple. Drag it up on some rocks, tie it to a tree just in case. Done. Beardrop Harbour was great, tall cliffs, blueberries, and views down the Whalesback Channel like this:

I also met the builder/skipper of this handsome Reuel Parker sharpie (modified to include a 3' ballast keel):

Other than his tender (a Shellback Dinghy), this sharpie was the only other wooden boat I saw on the entire trip. A neat boat, and way more soulful than the 'glass sloops that were everywhere.

Still, I don't think I'll ever go back to big boats. They're so complicated. Standing rigging. Jibs. Decks that you actually need to climb around on to do stuff. I'm too lazy for all that. A good small boat? Reach over from your comfy sitting position (with a cushion against the side deck for a back rest) and you can:

1) raise the sail.

2) drop the sail.

3) adjust the downhaul.

4) tend the sheet and tiller.

5) reach your handheld VHF, compass, and Ziploc-bagged chart.

6) adjust the ultra-simple tied-on leeboards.

Really, I've become far too lazy for a bigger boat. Lots of people see the extra comforts a big boat seems to offer. Nowadays I tend to see the extra inconveniences more.

Later,

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 11-10-2010 at 10:16 PM.

Now a camping trip like that is what a sail and oar boat is all about. Must have been fun.

Fun? You betcha!

(Thought most of the people I know in real life would be puzzled at best about what's fun about it.)

I spent a night at Beardrop Harbour, much of the time hanging out with a young lad named Caleb and his two large dogs. One of them was not only a smelly fish head enthusiast, but living proof that not all labs are good swimmers...

Next day I set out early to sail the Whalesback Channel. Turns out there's a sneaky back way out of Beardrop Harbour:

In this photo you can see how I rigged my yard: halyard runs through a dumb sheave from starboard to port, then tied with a constrictor hitch to the yard, back around the mast (taking the place of a parrel) and tied again with another constrictor hitch to the yard a little further forward. This was a little inconvenient in the sense of having to tie two knots, but gave me infinite adjustability for the hoisting point of the yard. It worked, anyway, and was dead cheap and simple.

As I rowed through the narrow channel, a family of minks swam across single file; they were pretty curious about my boat, but declined all invitations to come aboard. Something you'd never see with a motor running--sail and oar all the way!

Beardrop Harbour and the Whalesback Channel were probably my favorite part of the trip; it felt remote and undeveloped, lots of islands. I could have happily spent a couple of weeks here, though I ended up just passing through this time.

I wasn't sure where I was going next, but I thought a resupply stop at the marina in Spanish might be advantageous. You can just see my boat tied up at the visitor dock at the left side of this photo:

The wind was perfect--I came zipping into the marina at a fast run, sailed right through the entrance channel, past the fuel dock (small building with the red roof), and came up smartly into the wind at the visitors dock (perfect maneuvering for a change!) to find my friends from the Reuel Parker sharpie waiting to take my bow line. They were even nice enough to act surprised at how quickly I arrived, telling me again and again that my boat was "fast." First time it's ever been called that, I can assure you...

Canadian marinas are hassle-free (especially on a Sunday night when no one's around), so after a 4-mile (round trip) hike to a grocery store with my new cruising friends, I camped here:

The next day saw me heading southward toward a narrow passage called Little Detroit:

Once through Little Detroit, I was headed for the famous Benjamin Islands. But again, blustery winds and a course dead downwind started to feel risky, so I dropped the sail (no crisis this time) and rowed to nearby Crooks Island to explore:

I walked around the whole island, found a nice cliff to jump off and swim from, and arrived back at the boat still burned out and not ready to face 15 knots +. So:

I camped. Again, just one tiny flat sandy spot big enough for the tent. This was one of my favorite places to camp; Crooks Island is at the edge of the big open water, so it felt like I was way out there one my own, living my own version of Castaway.

In fact, though, it was proving to be a pretty tame trip (not a bad thing if you ask me!) I'd gone into it not really knowing how stupid it was to do such a long trip in my relatively unseaworthy Pirate Racer, but it was turning out to be plenty capable of handling whatever we found--with a somewhat cautious approach. Plenty of shelter and spots to duck out of rough conditions for most of the way.

More later,

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

Jagular Goes Everywhere: (mis)Adventures in a $300 Sailboat. Book release June 2014.

Thanks for the photos and keep 'em coming!

Dan

No adventure???!! You need to take up climbing, that's all. Are you anywhere near the Wind River Mountains? Maybe one of my three favorite places.
    I worked for the Pinedale Ranger District in the Winds backcountry for 14 years. Loved it. There is sailing on the big glacial lakes on the west slope, especially Fremont Lake, but they lie along the prevailing winds with the landings at the far windward end, so the typical sail is a wild twenty-minute run and a 90-minute beat back to the ramp. The water is shockingly cold. I learned to boardsail there, so I know.

But back to the chase, I really admire your adventurous spirit and ability, sailing a small craft in that sort of open water with difficult shorelines. 5.4 on wet rock with no protection is pretty serious (I'm a former climber).

I just finished rebuilding a Bolger Gypsy, and am planning to build an alternate balance-lug rig for it this winter.

So, if you're enroute to the Winds and would like a day or two on the water, or have a Bolger Skiff Inland Raid in mind, drop me a PM. We also run the local whitewater, if you'd like to give that a go.

Chip

Something you'd never see with a motor running--sail and oar all the way!
    That is just so true, as I notice whenever I've been out in the outboard skiff. Not only do the animals flee your commotion, but you also drown out the subtle clues that tell you where to look with the incessant drone. You always see a lot more wildlife when you're quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    I really admire your adventurous spirit and ability, sailing a small craft in that sort of open water with difficult shorelines. 5.4 on wet rock with no protection is pretty serious (I'm a former climber).
    Ah, well, what really surprised me was how easy it ended up being. I went into the trip thinking it might be a little over my head, but found it was well within my (and my boat's) capabilities. (A Bolger Gypsy might be pushing it, though...) A light boat helps a lot, knowing I could pretty much drive up unto a beach anywhere (in fact, I've been wondering if my Alaska will turn out to be more boat than I actually want!), and never more than 2-3 miles offshore (usually much less). An open schedule helps even more--no need to rush.

As fo the climbing bit:

1) I would gladly have come down, but it was too late by then (you know how that goes), and

2) the rock was dry, with good friction. Still plenty scary, as no one ever has (or ever will) mistaken me for Peter Croft.

As for the invite for some Wyoming sailing, I'll keep it in mind. I've thought about taking a boat west one of these days (Salt Lake? Lake Powell? The Inside Passage?) and you'd be right on the way.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

Jagular Goes Everywhere: (mis)Adventures in a $300 Sailboat. Book release June 2014.

So, after my night on Crooks Island, I knew I'd reach the Benjamins today. I'd been looking forward to them for a long time. I knew they might be crowded, but I was pretty sure that in my little boat I'd be able to find a quiet corner or two. And so it proved. Landfall just off Fox Island found a private slip waiting:

I watched a few big 'glass sloops motor through this area, sails furled with covers tied on, threading their way through narrow channels between rocks. There were places where my rudder cleared the rocky bottom by just a few inches! I guess some people really really trust their engines. And their GPS.

Next a bunch of kayakers invited me to breakfast at a little cove just north of North Benjamin:

I have to admit, I think kayaks are, overall, a more practical method of traveling by water than a small sailboat. In the long run, I think they're faster, and can handle more conditions than my boat.

But somehow, they just ain't as cool to me:

And sailboats do offer some advantages: room to move around, forward progress with zero effort, etc.

I spend the day sailing down the east side of the Benjamin Island group:

Paused here and there to explore:

And ended up in an idyllic cove off the southern tip of South Benjamin (you can just see my boat about dead center of the photo, no sail up), where a few other boats were anchored to huge steel bolts driven into the granite:

The left-most boat in this photo is Raggedy Annie, Anne Westlund's cruiser. I first heard about the North Channel by reading Anne's articles (http://www.wwpotterowners.com/SailingStories.html ), and I'd tried to look her up on Drummond Island before beginning my trip, but she was already gone on her summer cruise. Now I got to meet her here instead; the North Channel is a small world.

I spent a while climbing around on the rocks and swimming. Anne and her friends invited me to a potluck supper, but I was hearing a 30 knot westerly wind forecast for tomorrow; I knew if I stayed, I'd be staying for at least two days. Instead, I decided to head south and camp somewhere on Clapperton Island.

As I headed out, Anne said something like, "Good on ya, for sailing your little boat so far. That's something you'll get a lot of satisfaction from." Made me feel like a real sailor.

Then, as I was leaving, I hoisted my balance lug backwards, barely avoided getting pushed into someone else's boat, finally got turned around and headed out...

More later,

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 11-17-2010 at 02:52 PM.

Tom, I want to come out and do a trip out there. The scenery there is so very different from my own little batch of islands. All those exposed rocks without a banana slug or a barnacle to be found--it's fascinating!