Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cruising Rowboat

Default Re: Cruising Rowboat

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I think I may be sending Mr. Welsford an order in the near future - probably for Walkabout but 'Rogue' might also fit the bill and be a bit lighter and more manageable. To be honest I still really want some rigid shelter but might be able to go lower than 36" headroom for just lounging - I notice that the new Welsford 'Scamp' has a tiny cuddy that is kind of what I had in mind, though I would prefer to recline along the centreline of the boat rather than athwartship. The other boat still in the hunt is the Oughtred Skerrieskiff 17 but the designer thinks it would be too tiddly for a rigid superstructure - I think a coble-style heavy fabric foredeck shelter might go quite nicely with this design though.
    How about a skin on frame shelter, kinda like a boat but upside down and attached to the gunwales? Considering the light wt. of some the SOF boats that Mr. Gentry has built I would think a frame work with a sealed skin on a row boat would add little in the way of top heavy motion and could be made aerodynamic to counter any windage issues. Could be removable when not "cruising" too.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I think I may be sending Mr. Welsford an order in the near future - probably for Walkabout but 'Rogue' might also fit the bill and be a bit lighter and more manageable. To be honest I still really want some rigid shelter but might be able to go lower than 36" headroom for just lounging - I notice that the new Welsford 'Scamp' has a tiny cuddy that is kind of what I had in mind, though I would prefer to recline along the centreline of the boat rather than athwartship. The other boat still in the hunt is the Oughtred Skerrieskiff 17 but the designer thinks it would be too tiddly for a rigid superstructure - I think a coble-style heavy fabric foredeck shelter might go quite nicely with this design though.
    Or you could rig an awning for sun and rain. It works well and is quick to set up and strike.

Last edited by darroch; 10-25-2010 at 09:11 PM.

Darroch:

Speaking of cruising rowboats, how does your Alaska (in the picture above) suit the bill? What kind of speed can you hold, for how long? What's the longest you've had to (er, GOTTEN to, I mean) row it? How does it perform as a rowing boat?

I've just about finished planking my own Alaska, and have the spars all built. Next year it should hit the water.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Darroch:

Speaking of cruising rowboats, how does your Alaska (in the picture above) suit the bill? What kind of speed can you hold, for how long? What's the longest you've had to (er, GOTTEN to, I mean) row it? How does it perform as a rowing boat?

I've just about finished planking my own Alaska, and have the spars all built. Next year it should hit the water.
    I was wondering how that was going with you...but we're gonna hijack this thread if we get started on that...hmmm...what to do...

Hmmmm, a very interesting idea indeed, thank you for that!

Quote Originally Posted by RodSBT View Post
    How about a skin on frame shelter, kinda like a boat but upside down and attached to the gunwales? Considering the light wt. of some the SOF boats that Mr. Gentry has built I would think a frame work with a sealed skin on a row boat would add little in the way of top heavy motion and could be made aerodynamic to counter any windage issues. Could be removable when not "cruising" too.

Another idea which I have seen, perhaps in Parker's THE SHARPIE BOOK, is a pop-op cabin of light plywood or canvas-on frame that can be raised up, perhaps supported by the halyards, and enclosed and perhaps extended with side curtains.

By all means hijack the thread, I would be interested to know the answers....

Quote Originally Posted by darroch View Post
    I was wondering how that was going with you...but we're gonna hijack this thread if we get started on that...hmmm...what to do...

Maybe a combo wood/canvas pop-top like this one?

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

[QUOTE=Clarkey;2755869]By all means hijack the thread, I would be interested to know the answers....

Cheers then.

Well, the short answer is that Alaska rows very well. If we take her at 300 pounds all up and add 400 pounds of crew and another another couple of hundred max for gear, the answer is she still rows well. I would guess she could keep pace or better with many boats her size. If you're just out for the day without all the gear and no crew, she really flies. I always have my anchors and rode and other necessary bits in. I suppose if you wanted to race her bare you could maintain four knots for a while. I can get her up to 4 knots for a brief period even with both sails up, daggerboard and rudder in and crew at the tiller. YMMV.

I experienced a five-mile row at the end of November last year against a 25-knot breeze. Truth be told, I should have seen all the white horses in the Arm before leaving the protection of the point. I didn't. Anyway, why didn't I have my motor? Because I listened to the McMullen/Yeadon/Posse and was convinced I would have a better experience without it for a while. BS. It hasn't left my transom since. Thanks to the aforementioned MYP my right elbow popped and my back was shot for the winter. I darn near kilt myself. Never again.

So rowing at 2 - 3 knots average over a day's row is probably close, but don't forget, if you put the sails up you can take advantage of the lightest puffs to help you along or give you a rest. If there's any wind at all I'm sailing. It's easy to row the boat with both sails up and I often just leave the daggerboard in. I'm very happy to move at a couple of knots and that's easy to maintain.

sorry, gotta go...wife's birthday
    [WI-Tom - is there a build thread I missed?]

Huffboat was a one off that I built to explore the limits and constraints of the construction method, the consequences of some changes away from the conventional to the "numbers" in design terms, and to see what difference certain ergonomic changes would make. While the boat was successful as a rowing boat, its main achievem,ent was that I learned a lot from it as well as enjoying using it for the several seasons that I kept it.
    Some of those lessons have been applied to Walkabout.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by Songololo View Post
    JW also has a few rowing boats. The Huff Boat in particular seems to be a good candidate (can't seem to find it on his website).

Details from a previous thread.

The 15'6'' Joansa (a later version of the above design?) is also a Welsford design:

An expert is but a beginner with experience.

We spent some time this summer playing with the rig. The psychological effect of having a bit of shelter is interesting. It really does feel like you're "in".
    I can't stand the sun any more - on hot windless days my head starts to crack. I was able to row for hours under this tarp without that cracking sun on the top of my head during the 35+ degrees of August. Of course, if there is any wind you'd usually take it down, but I found that I could sail quite nicely with the awning up (up to a beam reach of course) and could heave to in light air. I wouldn't have it up if there was much wind anyway.

WI-Tom - is there a build thread I missed?
    No build thread, not likely to be one. But I'll post photos once it all stops looking so ugly. LOTS of fairing to do before then.

To get back to the main thread a little bit, a couple of cruising rowboat journeys I've considered: the Rideau Canal from Ottawa to Lake Ontario, perhaps continuing all the way through the Trent/Severn waterway. And it'd be interesting (in a hot, miserable, why-am-I-doing-this kind of way) to row the Texas 200. And maybe the Everglades Challenge.

Tom

...man, I must be getting old. If you like rowing that much you'll love your Alaska.

Well,

I'm not saying I like it that much. I'm saying I'm probably dumb enough to try it and find out. I haven't rowed further than 15 miles in a day ever. But I do love it.

Tom

Is this the sort of thing you are after??

http://www.sailingcatamarans.com/linnet.htm

http://www.sailingcatamarans.com/bee.htm

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

Mr Woods,

Linnet"s a fine looking rowboat! Can it be built lapstrake?

Woody

The Linnet and Bee are pretty close to being a good basis for what I want. In my ideal world I might like them to be about 10% bigger to have some more space in the cuddy/dodger/pop top that I am obsessed with having. An earlier comment summed up what I am on about - I want to have a space to be 'in the boat' rather than the relentless open-ness of the Thames Skiffs I normally row.

I actually remember reading the PBO article on the Bee and Linnet when it came out!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard of Woods Designs View Post
    Is this the sort of thing you are after??

http://www.sailingcatamarans.com/linnet.htm

http://www.sailingcatamarans.com/bee.htm

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

Not wooden, not beautiful but this looks like an interesting boat:

Images filched from the manufacturer's website at www.oceanboat.com.au. I hope they don't mind too much.

Several years ago I took a ten day cruise through the Exuma islands in a Sea Pearl 21.

Great trip, but several times during the journey I realized a cruising rowboat would have been a better boat for exploring. I could have started rowing early in the morning when it was cooler and made my daily distance before noon. In the sailboat I usually didn't get started until winds picked up about 11:00 and usually tacked all day during peak temperatures to make progress, even with a bimini the sun exposure was rough.

Another lesson was, set the boat up to sleep on board, and have a simple cook box for preparing meals on board ... carrying everything ashore each day to camp on the beach became a chore.

Sleep aboard rowboat would have made the trip so much better.

Sounds like a job for Phil Bolger's Birdwatcher or one of the Jim Michalak designs along the same lines.
    Matthew Long
    Bolger fan (Brick, Yellow Leaf, June Bug, Tortoise and half a Teal)
    Dreaming of a small cruiser from Atkin, Bolger, Buehler or Parker
    www.cluttonfred.info (I also like homebuilt airplanes!)

Sinne 610 http://puuvenepiste.fi/en/boat_expedition_sinne.html

Front tent section could be a separate cuddy that the rest zipps to. Wheels for portages between canal and river sections. Great for trip from Bath to London.

There is a Sinne 610 just starting build at Old Warf

https://www.facebook.com/15947015410...2&pagefilter=3

Super.

Come to think about it, the York (delaware) Ducker at Mystic Seaport has its full tent with it. A couple of inverted V's notch into the coaming, a line goes from bow to stern over them and a suitable bit of canvas cut. Held down by fish hooks with the points cut off under the sheer strake. I also recall that Thames Skiffs could be set up with a full tent.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

The Sinne 610 and the Thames boats put up a big tent. Nice to have all that room in calm conditions, but do these work if it's windy?

This John Welsford blog post actually points back to another thread in this forum showing one way to do it that actually looks like it would stand up to quite a bit of wind.
    Matthew Long

There are some interesting boats being developed using the Hobie Mirage Drive, Tim O'Conner's Zelva comes to mind. An older design from Gartside, Blue Skies, was another pedal powered boat with a cruising history.

What caught my attention was how well they would work in narrow shoal waters. Without oars one could really sneak into river delta areas like the California Delta, Chesapeake Bay, and the Everglades yet still have a sleep aboard boat. Forward seating for viewing and leg power for extended trips.

Does anyone have experience with the Mirage Drive? Looks good on paper but I wonder in practice.

I believe Blue Skies with a Mirage drive has completed a couple of Watertribe Challenges, on the Chesapeake and in North Carolina. He has spent a good bit of time on the boat. The various Watertribe Challenges have proving grounds for the Mirage Drive with lots of miles pedaled. The Hobie people have paid attention to lessons learned.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

There are a couple of small Philip Thiel designs with large, slow-turning pedal-powered props worth a closer look. Phil Bolger and Dynamite Payson also did a pedal-powere sidewheel paddleboat called Paddlin' Madeline IIRC. Cheers, Matthew
    Matthew Long

Question Re: Cruising Rowboat

Are there any plans for a “fast” rowcruiser that can sleep two cozy humans in the cabin?

Something like the Angus Rowcruiser, but with inside cabin shoulder width of 38” and enough headroom with water tight yet ventilated access for two humans to sleep close by?

http://hans.machighway.com/~rowcruis...ser_Specs.html
    Last edited by Chris94703; 11-18-2017 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgebuilder View Post
    What caught my attention was how well they would work in narrow shoal waters. Without oars one could really sneak into river delta areas like the California Delta, Chesapeake Bay, and the Everglades yet still have a sleep aboard boat. Forward seating for viewing and leg power for extended trips.

Does anyone have experience with the Mirage Drive? Looks good on paper but I wonder in practice.
    You do not want to hit the bottom with that expensive mirage drive - you can bend or break the stainless fin masts. Mirage drives work best with special optional long fins and masts. Yeah you can flutter them awkwardly in a shallow draft mode, but how do you know when that obstacle is coming up. The good news is that their legacy non-reversing drive is going to remain available - Hobie introduced an expensive, complex reversing drive in order to not be targeted by the prop powered pedal drive ads. But nobody should need reversing because you should anyway always have a paddle at hand for brief close quarter maneuvering or emergencies.
    Last edited by rudderless; 11-18-2017 at 03:13 PM.

You might want to take a look at Jim Michalak's designs or even ask him if he'd modify one for you. His Mixer (12' x 4') is probably not fast enough for you, and his faster boats not wide enough, but it's a good place to start.

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/product-p/jm-mixer.htm
    http://www.jimsboats.com/15jun17.htm#Mixer
    Matthew Long

Yes it's an old thread. But a good one. I gotta think the Drake 19 should be on this list somewhere...

Is there a relatively fast cruising rowboat plan I can modify to build a cabin with shoulder width of 38” that a couple could sleep close to each other? Something like an Angus Row Cruiser which will accommodate hatch and cabin under deck for two and strong enough transom to mount an electrical outboard (for emergencies) which can be stored under the front storage deck?

Seems like a slightly modified, with bit wider cabin and another half foot of length, Angus Rowcruiser as an Angus Tandem Rowcruiser can be adopted for their plans? Being a neophyte boat builder I do not know fully what I ask.
    Last edited by Chris94703; 11-20-2017 at 12:03 PM.

http://www.selway-fisher.com/Rowskiffs.htm

set up for one, but seams to be enough room to do two and some sleeping accommodations. Electric motor and a side bracket maybe.
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-