Thread: Correia Skiff

Default Correia Skiff

I'm looking for any information I can find about a class of flat-bottomed, lapstrake quahog skiffs built by Albert (or Alfred) Correia of New Bedford. He ran a boatshop from (I think) the 30's to the 60's and produced a series of 10', 12' and 14 foot boats. Multiple Google searches have turned up nada. I'm hoping to find, if not lines plans, then at least an original example that I can take lines off of.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Cheers...

Dave

"Bíonn caora dhubh ar an tréad is gile."

Default Re: Correia Skiff

Have you talked to the North Dartmouth Historical Society?

Lived next door to that boat shop when i was a kid it was Arnold Correia and his dad Joseph who built them.. long gone now my dad had a 12 ft skiff even had a custom storage seat in the stern...… I have no idea where it is now been about 60 years last known on Slocum River.... the Historical Society may be able to help you

Welcome aboard EK. Thanks for the update.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

this forum is amazing

I can only add that the Correia-built skiffs were highly praised by the late Edwin B. Athearn. Ed was a commercial wooden boat maven, former commercial fisherman, and later in life the founder of the marine brokerage company SEABOATS, or Edwin B. Athearn Associates, of New Bedford. He wrote some good accounts of his travels and adventures with boats in CHRONICLES OF AN ISLANDER -- Martha's Vineyard History & Adventure.

I have several hours of Ed holding forth on cassette tapes. If I find a reference to Correia skiffs on them I will report back.

The Avila clan, Swordfishing for decades out of New Bedford were using out-board-powered skiffs for their "dory-men" to haul back harpooned Swordfish in the 1950s through 1970s. There is a good chance that they were using Correia skiffs. One of the family members in the area might still have one for examination.

Is Thad referring to the OLD Dartmouth Historical Society, aka New Bedford Whaling Museum, as a an entity worth contacting? That institution could prove to be helpful if dstreck is still on the hunt.

That was my intent.

The Avila family were day fishermen went to school with Edmund Avila..the sistersown Little Peoples College in the New Bedford area great family