Thread: Spaghetti Sauce

Default Spaghetti Sauce

I make a spaghetti sauce that everybody seems to rave about. I've never thought it's anything terribly special...just the sauce my mom used to make with some additions I've tossed in over the years. My wife has been after me for a while to document it (I just cook it freestyle). So last night, I got out the notebook, cooked up a batch and turned it into a recipe for her. I thought I'd share it with you guys, too. Anybody have a favorite pasta sauce recipe?

===============

Spaghetti Sauce

This started out life as my mother's recipe. Over the years, I've added ideas from Patricia Wells, Mario Battali and the food nerds at Cook's Illustrated.

Ingredients

• 2 medium onions, peeled, cut into 1/4 in. dice
    • olive oil
    • 1/2 head celery, cut into 1/4 in. dice
    • 8 medium carrots, peeled, cut into 1/4 in. dice
    • 12 ounces small button mushrooms, trim stems, cut into quarters
    • 1-3/4 pounds ground beef chuck
    • 3/4 pounds ground pork
    • 1/2 teaspoon powdered gelatin
    • 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
    • 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
    • 3 tablespoons tomato paste
    • 1 bunch fresh thyme
    • 1 sprig fresh rosemary
    • balsamic vinegar
    • honey
    • salt
    • pepper
    • red wine

Method

Heat about 2 T olive oil over medium heat in a large dutch oven. Add the mushrooms and sweat, covered, over medium heat for about 5 minutes to get their juices flowing. Remove the lid, raise the heat to medium high and cook for about another 10 minutes or so, stirring as needed, until the mushrooms have given up most of their moisture and are nicely browned. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and set aside.

Add a little more olive oil to the pan. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the mirepoix — onion, carrots and celery — cover and sweat for about 5 minutes. Again, remove the lid, raise the heat and cook a little longer, until the onions are translucent. Remove and set aside.

Crumble the ground meat into the dutch oven and brown, stirring occasionally and breaking up clumps — I like to use a flat wooden spatula for this. While the meat is browning, sprinkle the gelatin over a couple of tablespoons of cold water and let it bloom for a few minutes (don't let it bloom too long or it will gel and you'll have a little hockey puck of gelatin in your bowl.)

When the meat is browned, add the mirepoix and mushrooms and combine well. Add the tomatos, then the gelatin. and stir well to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. About a tablespoon of salt seems about right. Add a little red wine — maybe a wine glass (5 oz or so) — to loosen up the sauce if it needs it. I like to balance out the acidity and sweetness of the tomatoes by adding a little balsamic vinegar and honey.

Make a bouquet garni by tying the thyme and rosemary in a constrictor knot with butcher's twine. Toss it in the pot.

Bring things up to a boil, stirring to prevent things from sticking. Reduce the heat to low, cover and walk away.

Let it simmer for an hour or so — more if you're inclined — checking on it now and then and stirring it up (nobody likes burned spaghetti sauce).

Serve on spaghetti or linguini with freshly grated parmesan Reggiano.

Notes

1. Use strong yellow onions for this dish. Sweet onions like Vidalias just turn into glue. My preferred variety is Stuttgart Yellow (hot enough to blister paint).

2. Don't skimp on the carrots. A lot of the sweetness in this sauce comes from the carrots. I like to use Nantes varieties (cylindrical and quite sweet) rather than the Danvers varieties (much starchier) usually found in grocery stores.

3. The gelatin comes from a Cook's Illustrated meat loaf recipe. Meatloaf usually has veal in it, because its high collagen content adds a lot of mouth feel. The food nerds are Cook's Illustrated wanted an all-beef meatloaf: the gelatin stands in for the collagen the veal would have provided, as it does here.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Default Re: Spaghetti Sauce

Honey?

OK.

Offa top o' my head, before the coffee has got from my stomach to my brain....

Olive Oil (lashings of)
    Dash Salt
    Dash White pepper
    Big Grind black pepper
    tsp dried basil
    tsp dried oregeno
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1 large yellow onion
    tub of tomato paste
    1 or 2 tins of diced tomatos.

That's the base, then it's whatever you want.....here it's often olives and fish.

Hmm, might do this for tea tonight....
    We don't know how lucky we are....

That's the true Bolognese you've got there. Except for the honey AND the gelatine. Though thinking about it for a minute, (*edit* and after reading all the way to the bottom of your first post!) I suppose that the gelatin might replace the collagen you'd get if you used meat scraps instead of ground chuck, and the honey can do a lot for mouthfeel.

I've never added the gelatin and generally add cooked/crumbled Italian sausage, a bit of ground chuck, olives and mushrooms, the rest is pretty much the same.
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blight View Post
    That's the true Bolognese you've got there. Except for the honey AND the gelatine. Though thinking about it for a minute, (*edit* and after reading all the way to the bottom of your first post!) I suppose that the gelatin might replace the collagen you'd get if you used meat scraps instead of ground chuck, and the honey can do a lot for mouthfeel.
    The honey is mostly because store-bought tomaters are so far from being ripe as to be laughable.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

I've always experimented with Spaghetti sauces , but have yet to use carrots , celery , and gelatin. Garlic is one ingrediant I have never left out. Sounds good I'll give it a try.

The most delicious spaghetti in the world is Filipino spaghetti. This dish is very easy to prepare and is an interesting interpretation of traditional Italian dishes. Expand your horizons with this exotic take on old classics.
    Filipino Spaghetti Recipe - https://club.cooking/recipe/filipino-spaghetti/

Home grown tomatoes, cooked enough to pull the skins off
    onion
    home grown fresh basil, oregano and parsley
    home grown garlic
    black pepper
    salt
    sugar

Cook down enough to soften the onions. Drain excess liquid through a seive. Save for bloody marys.

olive oil
    ground beef and or sweet pork sausage cut into pieces the size of meatballs

combine items and add strong chianti
    cook to combine flavors and reduce liquid.

I make and can the first set of items, without the sugar.

The rest gets added when a sauce is needed.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Paladin told me this is a ghost thread. Still a good subject tho.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Paladin told me this is a ghost thread. Still a good subject tho.
    I’m just stunned that a thread just 3 months shy of nine years since the last post gets brought back to life. Who goes hunting for such an old thread that wasn’t even started by the latest correspondent who only has two posts. These type of Lazarus threads always makes me wonder about the motivation, especially when there’s a link. YMMV
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

The motivation is spam.
    Nosce te ipsum

But spam about spaghetti sauce on a boat forum?!?! What kind of bot goes looking for something so specific and yet so obscure on the delivery platform?
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

I thought someone finally figured out trumps secret hair coloring recipe

I'm good with reviving a saucy thread. Reminded me it's been far too long since I've made sauce from scratch. I've gotten into the habit of using bought sauces - now that there are so many excellent ones out there. But... come winter... I'll make a point to do some of my own. There's really no matching 'from-scratch'.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Clemenza's recipe, from, The Godfather.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Breakaway; 07-15-2019 at 03:09 PM.
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

an onion
    red pepper
    mushroom
    Finely chop all above and fry in olive oil.
    Add minced beef (Quorn in my case) and finely chopped garlic cloves.
    Fry a bit more.
    Add tin of chopped tomatoes, a lot of tomato puree, and red wine.
    Add chilli powder, salt, oregano, and a mere touch of rosemary (bless her!)

That's my recipe; quantities are all guessed, and I shall be eating it in an hours time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin T View Post
    I’m just stunned that a thread just 3 months shy of nine years since the last post gets brought back to life. Who goes hunting for such an old thread that wasn’t even started by the latest correspondent who only has two posts. These type of Lazarus threads always makes me wonder about the motivation, especially when there’s a link. YMMV
    I always thought these get revived by someone just doing an innocent google search for spaghetti sauce and they get linked to this. Then they comment without realizing the age of the discussion. Done it myself to other forums when looking for some info. Doesn't bother me, just always a pleasant surprise to run across Paladin's avatar in the discussion.

^ I get the whole pop up thread on a search for a particular topic, just seemed weird with the June 2019 join date and 2 posts. Yes, to see Chuck's posts are always a pleasant surprise.
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

spaghetti sauce? where’s the new york irishman forum member to set us straight???
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

A recipe for a very simple but incredibly delicious tomato sauce from my Italian aunt:

Start by browning a clove of garlic in about 1/4 cup or less olive oil (sometimes I use bacon fat) in a saucepan. When the garlic is golden, I give a couple of shakes of dried red pepper flakes and remove from heat.
    Then add a 28 oz can of crushed Pastene brand of crushed tomatoes (other quality Italian tomatoes such as Cento are also good but don't use non-Italian as they don't taste as good) plus another can of water.
    Put pan back on medium heat then add I tbsp sugar , 2 tsp
    salt , parsley fresh or dried about 2 tbsp or so. One bay leaf . One beef bouillon cube. Bring to a boil and then turn down to simmer for a few hours . May need to add a cup or so of water as it evaporates.

I will sometime add a little oregano or basil but I really prefer red sauces to be very simple and taste of tomatoes rather than them being overwhelmed by meat and/or other herbs. The bullion cube is optional. It gives a depth of flavor that is very nice but not necessary.

I rather be an American than a Republican.

I’m wih elf: as homegrown as possible. The tomatoes get pureed for winter use. We even grow our own herbs & spices (except for salt and black pepper). Gotta have plenty garlic, onions, good oil, homemade Italian sausage, rough red wine. The mushooms and peppers go in towards the end, so they don’t get mushy. Reggiano cheese grated fine. A bottle of primitivo.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter