Thread: Anyone know how to rmove unwanted ads from playing over your computer speakers??

Default Anyone know how to rmove unwanted ads from playing over your computer speakers??

Just updated my antivirus yesterday as it was about to run out. Got a brand new CD from my computer store for Bitdefender and once I got it installed I have started having ads playing over computer speakers.

Acne ads, mucous ads, cough syrup ads,

the worse is when my son sits down to watch TV in parlor as I am on computer and the computer asks me if I have problems with my confidence and it starts playing an ad for an erectile dysfunction pill.

Cleaned out cookies in internet file, thought that took care of it as when I was doing that one ad stopped in the middle of playing, but new one just started as I was browsing...

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Default Re: Anyone know how to rmove unwanted ads from playing over your computer speakers??

A pop up blocker should handle most of that crap.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Default Re: Anyone know how to rmove unwanted ads from playing over your computer speakers??

Turn off the sound.

Dan
    Master of The Ensign's Gig: a 7 1/2 foot flat bottom plywood skiff,
    and Prudence: Lightning #7896.

Think Good Thoughts.
    Thoughts become words.
    Words become actions.
    Actions become habits.
    Habits become character.
    Character becomes destiny.

I hit the mute button.
    "We’re an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you’re studying that reality — judiciously, as you will — we’ll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that’s how things will sort out. We’re history’s actors… and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.’” -- Karl Rove speaking to Ron Suskind

Bit defender has a pop up blocker in it.

Nothing pops up per se, sound just comes on.

And yes shutting off the speakers work, but if we are watching a video the ad comes on over the video sound.

Right now I have the pleasure of living to how Lysol toilet cleaner is pediatrician recommended as I type this

Those things must not work on Macs. I've never been plagued with one yet.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

A forged/fake Bitdefender copy, set up to allow pop-ups? Some criminal might be reading everything on your computer. Is it possible to verify the authenticity of your CD with the Bitdefender folks?

Years ago, I read about an antivirus software that was hacked, modified to allow attacks, and sold under a 'new and improved' label. I doubt that the culprits were caught.

Tom

I trust the store where I bought this copy form.

Running it on a different store with no problems at all.

And if criminals were reading they would be sorely dissapointed. This unit is only used for browsing boat forums and such. No financial business gets done over it.

I never use CC# over the computer ever. Never do online banking either

Start, Control Panel, Add or Remove? I've never had trouble with AVG anti-virus free edition, have Malwarebytes free edition as well, as a backup. I keep them updated and scan often. They work. I also run CCleaner, also free, every time I shut down, have selected every option in both "Windows" and "Applications" except "Menu Order Cache", because selecting it de-alphabetizes my favorites. CCleaner looks scary when you look at all of the things it is cleaning, kind of looks like it is deleting them, but it's not.

Quote..."Running it on a different store with no problems at all".

Looks like you meant "computer", "not store". Also looks like you have picked up a virus.

+1 on AVG and Malwarebytes.

Sioux City, Iowa (Idiot Out Walking Around)

what browser are you using. I sometimes get this with Firefox and certain sites. Must be some new kind of Java script that gets past the blocker...which I believe only blocks windows from opening but might not target a sound file from playing.
    Steve Lewis
    Formerly Lewisboats (don't try to change your email address!)

http://angelfire.com/ego/lewisboatworks

Possibly identify the executable file in windows task manager, by watching the list of .exe file running when the thing happens. Then search for that .exe and delete it. Might be best to do that while offline.
    +1 for CrapCleaner for cookies and such.
    18' Friendship Sloop
    True Love
    , West Sacramento

I think your computer has been hijacked. If I still had a windows computer and that happened to me I'd go to www.spywareinfoforum.com and let them help me clean it up. Those guys are awesome!

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Frechette Jr View Post
    Just updated my antivirus yesterday as it was about to run out. Got a brand new CD from my computer store for Bitdefender and once I got it installed I have started having ads playing over computer speakers.

Acne ads, mucous ads, cough syrup ads,

the worse is when my son sits down to watch TV in parlor as I am on computer and the computer asks me if I have problems with my confidence and it starts playing an ad for an erectile dysfunction pill.

Cleaned out cookies in internet file, thought that took care of it as when I was doing that one ad stopped in the middle of playing, but new one just started as I was browsing...

Any assistance would be appreciated.
    This is just a guess, but I suspect that what you're hearing are ads embedded in the websites you're accessing. You can see this on a lot of common websites.... there will be an ad along the side which, when the website is loaded, will launch an audio ad, or even a video ad, with the sound turned on. Sometimes, these are hard to spot, especially if your browser window is small and the ad that is running is off to one side.

I don't know of any automatic solution for this. My audio gets delivered via an external amp and a set of homemade speakers, and the amp is right there at my left had.... I ordinarily have the audio turned down VERY low, and crank it up only when I want to hear something.
    "The rights and interests of the laboring man will be protected and cared for -- not by the labor agitators, but by the Christian men of property to whom God has given control of the property rights of the country, and upon the successful management of which so much depends."
    George Baer