Page 69 of 69 FirstFirst ... 19596869
Results 2,381 to 2,412 of 2412

Thread: First boating weekend of the season...

Default Re: First boating weekend of the season...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Yes I was wondering if you were revisiting your thoughts about that. I'm having trouble imagining how a centre cockpit boat with experienced crew got itself into such a pickle. The conditions were roughish but not extreme.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    I can still cut out part of the bridgedeck, I don't intend to cut the bulkhead or beam so the companion way would still be well above deck line . Ie you still have to step over to get inside.
    I still feel something else must have happened to the Essence to make it so susceptible.

Evidently they did know the system was coming and chose to carry on, but I would have continued. 30 plus knots forecast but that's what you expect to deal with at sea.

There's a system going through right now with 40 plus knots in it. There are about 20 boats arrived, arriving or hove to from New Cal as we speak. It's the cruising rally, one of our friends joined up with it and got in 2 nights ago just in front if this current low pressure system.
    Last edited by John B; 10-23-2019 at 04:02 PM.

Which gives me some thoughts about my new cockpit sides. The originals joined the wheelhouse to the aft cabin. The new ones I will push out a bit, leaving a gap between the aft end of the cockpit sides, and the aft cabin. That will reduce the holding capacity of the cockpit by a couple of thousand litres, and provide for rapid drainage of everything except the cockpit well, which probably holds 500 litres or so. The top of the washboard between cockpit and cabin might just want raising slightly too, at present it is level with the cockpit seats.

Were they broad reaching? I wonder if they broached and were pinned down with water flooding into the companionway.

I assume so. They were easterly winds and they needed to make it to an East coast port. I doubt if you could run in it.

The skipper sounds like a very skilled and knowledable man , a man with a great sense of civic responsibility and one who has contributed a great deal to yachting in this country.
    A real loss.

It's common these days to see windows that are just plastic glued onto the outside of cabinsides, with and without any fasteners. They'd certainly be strong enough to withstand water impact from outside but I doubt the system would withstand half a tonne of water landing on them from inside.

I suspect the companionway was open and it just took too long to get any boards back in. I guess it's also possible that boards were in but not secured and were washed out. In any case, if you're in a cabin that's already knee deep in water, do you then put the boards back in? Pretty tricky as you'd need to be in there to bail water out but you certainly wouldn't want to be in there if the boat's going down.

People fuss about cockpit drains, me included! But I think really they're good for getting rid of rainwater and not much else. If the conditions are rough enough to fill the cockpit with water then any water in the cockpit isn't going to stay there for long, especially if it's a tender design like ours.

Rick

Its a point in favour of a small cockpit like we have. I dont think that even brim full the cockpit on our boat (the well that is, with the new fast draining coamings), would make a lot of difference to her bouyancy or stability.

Merry woodyboat Christmas from the winterless north, of NZ.
    The fabulous stripper got splashed.
    20191222_153341.jpg
    We had our Christmas day with 2/3 of our kids plus partners and they'll leave soon. The boy is still running the world famous in classic boats in NZ , the cruiser Ngataki , so he's off to Great Barrier from Auckland.
    Kirsty and I will get aboard Riada in a day or three and nail some miles for a week or two here in the Bay of Islands. Maybe 10 or 30....everything is close here.. And back I suppose.

Well, that all sounds like lots more fun than spending the night with the FIL in Emergency. All seems okay now so no need to send flowers. I reckon you lot are going to learn to love living up there JB! Enjoy!

Rick

Ah! Speedy recovery for Dad.
    We're still in migration between Auckland and the Bay for next year, but we'll get more and more time as we go on I expect.
    Have a great one Rick .

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Merry woodyboat Christmas from the winterless north, of NZ.

Kirsty and I will get aboard Riada in a day or three and nail some miles for a week or two here in the Bay of Islands. Maybe 10 or 30....everything is close here.. And back I suppose.
    I especially like your new cruising grounds up in the Bay and the grass looks a lot greener than ours. Should I find myself single in the near future WB would be heading your way for an extended stay.

We will be in Auckland tonight but heading down the coast and then across the Tasman to Hobart ,Melbourne and Sydney’

Have fun sailing the Islands.

Sounds good JB. Tom each to his own I guess. I assume you are one of those huge white boats. Couldn't do it myself, but I hope you have a grand time. My brother and his wife do cruise ships too.

Merry Christmas John to you all.
    I still miss the Bay of Islands and the great fishing/boating to be had there....
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

Hey Robbie, either there are no fish or I'm a lousy fisherman. Errr.
    But I swear there's a change.. No kahawai schools......

Currently sailing the patch of water I last sailed with Phil. I spent 5 minutes in the dinghy sorting out a cluster so took this
    20200108_120859.jpg
    Still scratching 3 and a half knots so that's ok.

Having lived in the Far North for many years, I am of the firm opinion that summer is not the best time for fishing, but usually I could get a couple of Kahawai.

Often when I couldn't even catch a Kahawai, it turned out that a commercial bait fisherman had recently been through the area. I would rather have my baitfish in the bay than in freezers on gas station forecourts! They are much more than a baitfish for me....great for sashimi!
    Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy a boat that will pull right up next to it!

Exactly, Grant. I think it's been clear felled.

Having said that , an hour later we did hook up between the ninepin and the reef .20200108_150632.jpg
    That was fun, tacking and gybing around in a fairly narrow patch to get em in. One was on the light rod on a saltwater fly, one on a big fish game lure ....
    Maybe 6lbs , fed 4 people for dinner plus breakfast for another.
    The day before a 425 kilo black marlin was caught there on a dead one of those. What? I said, you mean 425 lb doncha?.
    Nup...425 kilograms.

Anyway , we're on land but we just hopped off for a 2 hour small boat reconnaissance up a local river. Quite beautiful with pockets of some lovely native bush.
    Attachment 50887

20200113_115529.jpg

Whats that to the right of the tree on the bank? lookalike a coffin :-)
    "Old boats are like teenage girlfriends: there is a certain urgency to their needs & one neglects them at one's peril"

^A poor little flatty being recycled.
    Maybe some polish........

Attachment 39872

I do like that place
    Photos by Justin Bragg on Lola lei.We used to cruise with the guys in the 80s when they had Ngatira and we were in Waione
    Justin gave me another drone shot yesterday, this one 3 months after the Minerva shot above,Yagasa cluster in the Southern Lau.
    8C5CFD049243C9E3E4BC322C21C32EDA.jpg
    Yagasa has 1 big island, the breadloaf, 1 smaller and then a few more even smaller. This is #2 island which shelters you from the trades. Great big lagoon , perhaps 3 miles across to get to the islands, unpopulated, and known for whales in the lagoon. Which we saw both in 17 and 19.

This bay is very shallow and with lots of bommies/ coral heads, so it was slow getting in and slower to find swing room between dangers. Cool spot though.
    Fulaga on the horizon, couldnt wait to get there but as Ive said earlier, its tide dependent at the pass.

For the 2 1/2 people who read my threads, this is the place. .
    Screenshot_2020-09-05-09-13-11.jpg
    You enter in that nnw corner , big wide open pass, and there are several isolated reefs between there and the pin, nominal 3 miles. Although it's uninhabited both Nomuka I Lau and Fulaga people head there for fish and timber camps. They mill vesi for carving, kava bowls and artisan work to sell at markets or tourist outlets in Vitu levu.
    It seems very remote when you're there.
    See the black stuff , that's actually where you track to get in, even though your brain screams no it's slightly deeper water. The black stuff is a sponge that gravitates to the dips in the seabed.

Screenshot_2020-09-05-09-13-27.jpg
    Last edited by John B; 09-05-2020 at 01:09 AM.

Hello, Nice spot indeed !

Justin gave me another drone shot yesterday, this one 3 months after the Minerva shot above,Yagasa cluster in the Southern Lau.
    8C5CFD049243C9E3E4BC322C21C32EDA.jpg
    Yagasa has 1 big island, the breadloaf, 1 smaller and then a few more even smaller. This is #2 island which shelters you from the trades. Great big lagoon , perhaps 3 miles across to get to the islands, unpopulated, and known for whales in the lagoon. Which we saw both in 17 and 19.

This bay is very shallow and with lots of bommies/ coral heads, so it was slow getting in and slower to find swing room between dangers. Cool spot though.
    Fulaga on the horizon, couldnt wait to get there but as Ive said earlier, its tide dependent at the pass.
    That's such a great shot to have! I often think, oh, who could be bothered sailing to those islands, all the prep and then all the customs and quarantine issues, blah blah, and then I see shots like this, a lagoon I'd just love to dive in and explore, and I get all inspired - again!
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Is this Dave's old boat?
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    That's such a great shot to have! I often think, oh, who could be bothered sailing to those islands, all the prep and then all the customs and quarantine issues, blah blah, and then I see shots like this, a lagoon I'd just love to dive in and explore, and I get all inspired - again!
    Customs and quarantine is mostly pretty easy. The hardest part being advance notice of arrival, but even that isn't so bad when you realise you're not trying to give that notice 72 hrs before you arrive ( or whatever time frame is asked for) thats just the minimum. 2 weeks before you go you send that, update when you go and the same when you're going to arrive. Extra regs right now with the covid obviously.
    The stressful part is insurance cover and getting your coms working. Iridium go is easy once it's all connected. Getting it up and running is a PIA because it isn't a one stop shop.
    But, you get past that pretty fast when you get to a place like the Lau.

Quote Originally Posted by davebrown View Post
    Is this Dave's old boat?
    Yep, one of my photos? I recall snapping some through the dry bag plastic.
    Other pics recently in that current small boat cruising thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Hey there is always alternatives I bet you wouldn’t have to check in with customs if you shipped this this floating caravan to Vanuatu
    .One on our club members has been taking some fairly extensive adventures ,shown below departing Gladstone harbour. Several month ago he was cruising down your way and up the Myall Lakes.

DFF72CCA-B093-4605-BD49-BE23FC4E5A94.jpg

Customs and quarantine is mostly pretty easy. The hardest part being advance notice of arrival, but even that isn't so bad when you realise you're not trying to give that notice 72 hrs before you arrive ( or whatever time frame is asked for) thats just the minimum. 2 weeks before you go you send that, update when you go and the same when you're going to arrive. Extra regs right now with the covid obviously.
    The stressful part is insurance cover and getting your coms working. Iridium go is easy once it's all connected. Getting it up and running is a PIA because it isn't a one stop shop.
    But, you get past that pretty fast when you get to a place like the Lau.
    Yes, of course it's worth it but don't forget this is Australian customs and quarantine I'm talking about. To be worth it, I'd need a few months clear, which we just don't have now. Maybe in a few years, we'll just have to wait and see. Lord Howe might have to do!
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Hey there is always alternatives I bet you wouldn’t have to check in with customs if you shipped this this floating caravan to Vanuatu
    .One on our club members has been taking some fairly extensive adventures ,shown below departing Gladstone harbour. Several month ago he was cruising down your way and up the Myall Lakes.

DFF72CCA-B093-4605-BD49-BE23FC4E5A94.jpg
    That's a Caraboat, built in Lemon Tree Passage. Who's the club member?
    Rick

Toni Ynot and Lynn Locheed of Fraser Island.
    E524E6BE-FB37-4A49-B440-7BA7E942F075.jpg

Great shot!
    Rick

Yes I’m still dreaming of that shot in which I was hoping to capture Killer Whales in Robson Bight Vancouver Is ,then with Humpbacks in Mag Bay Mexico and now on the Goldie.