Page 58 of 61 FirstFirst ... 848575859 ... LastLast
Results 1,996 to 2,030 of 2108

Thread: First boating weekend of the season...

Default Re: First boating weekend of the season...

This is the old Spirit of Adventure , now a charter boat in Denerau.
    Spirit was our sail training vessel based out of Auckland. I was on voyage number 13 as a 16 year old ,and my wife to be was on one a year or two later.
    she was rigged with yards then and had a large deck house. Those are removed for ease of handling and more guests on deck for day trips.

The last swim after clearing out and before punching out through the reefs, my wife decided to paddle a bottle of bubbly over to our friends on Mahia as a goodbye...

Crossing through the reefs south of Denerau / musket is like a line in the sand . One side , 5 or 8 knots and flat calm , the other side 15 to 20 to 30 in half a mile and the whole southern ocean trade swells to bust through. Goin' home.
    Last edited by John B; 06-12-2018 at 05:35 PM.

and a few tools in action... predict wind wind and swell data
    the colours represent 4 different models . GFS , ECMW, and the 2 predictwind interpretations of those two providers.
    When they agree you know , when they disagree as you see around the 8th... 9th .. then you choose who you think is best.

The AIS spotted this thing . He wouldn't answer our hails but I think just the VHF racket we made caused him to alter course behind us. My dilemma of course was should I stop and go behind him , but I was nervous about what might be behind him. Anyway , no harm no foul, 500 miles out.

Last edited by John B; 06-12-2018 at 05:43 PM.

Kirsty about to come off watch later in the trip...

Generally we were 'on the wind' nearly the whole way. We took 6 and half days thereabouts ... actually it might have been 6 days 14 hours after we slowed down for our landfall at first light. Thats reasonably quick considering the wind direction.

And that was our trip. We cleared in at Opua and then took a few days to come down the coast.

A lot of the guys we cruised with last season have left and are in Tonga and Fiji now , I wish I was too.
    Last edited by John B; 06-12-2018 at 05:48 PM.

Nice spot for that Flexi panel on top of the rib. Thanks for putting up the photos. That tarp,or whatever sheltering Kirsty on watch looks, um, err, I guess it did the job!

That was just a square of canvas we had for something else , but we rigged it as a lee cloth for that windward side .... made a big difference. It was especially good on the trip up actually , when we had a lot of spray in much heavier air and bigger waves.

A boating weekend of a different type..20181130_090719.jpg
    That's the black pig up in the loft and the 3 kids dinghies I built years ago. Off to the new house in Northland.
    Those little boats are artifacts right now ..hopefully we will get a grandkid or 3 one day to use em again.

A couple of days ago I put poor ignored Riada on the floating dock for a clean and a look at the state of the anti foul.
    This year has been a reset/reboot year, we changed a lot of things and that has meant the least time we've ever spent on the water over winter.

20181128_110024.jpg
    Not bad at all for about 20 or 21 months and a Pacific cruise. It actually just needs a hard scotch brite to remove oxidisation and a touch up...maybe a thin coat on top.

Have you moved away from Auckland JB?

Rick

I dont think Ive ever had antifoul look like that after 6 months, let alone 21. Except for TBT we had in PNG.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Have you moved away from Auckland JB?

Rick
    Not yet, Rick, but we have a plan to do that over the next year or three.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I dont think Ive ever had antifoul look like that after 6 months, let alone 21. Except for TBT we had in PNG.
    I say it wasn't bad , Phil, but when we were in the Bay of Islands waiting to leave last year the hull was infected with barnacles. Just 2 weeks in that marina caused a real problem. Messy and difficult to remove, but at least it's proven possible to get them off without them tearing in.

The surplus Navy stuff friends of mine bought in Pearl harbour in the eighties lasted rather well also.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Not yet, Rick, but we have a plan to do that over the next year or three.

??? any destination in mind???
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Yes, we bought a life sentence block on the Keri peninsular ,Greg. You might have to visit, bring your own chainsaw chaps. Are you doing your trip this year?

Er, I mean ,lifestyle block.
    Last edited by John B; 12-04-2018 at 12:14 PM.

I say it wasn't bad , Phil, but when we were in the Bay of Islands waiting to leave last year the hull was infected with barnacles. Just 2 weeks in that marina caused a real problem. Messy and difficult to remove, but at least it's proven possible to get them off without them tearing in.
    What marina you were John?

Quote Originally Posted by moniar View Post
    What marina you were John?
    Opua, mojiar, you've cruised here?
    Theres a thing going on where Mediterranean fan worm got into the south island on a ship circa 2008 and has been working up the coast of NZ ever since. It's in Auckland ,Whangarei and reportedly , kerikeri. Boats are not allowed to travel to the Bay of Islands without being cleaned now, which I've done last week. No sign of it on my boat.
    But we feel hard done by when our boats visit and are being infected by this virulent species of barnacle they have up there. And it seems like the fanworm horse has already bolted to me, they can't stop it.

Interesting. Adelaide has always seemed to be barnacle heaven. Although lately I'm growing a wierd looking translucent tubular jelly thing more than anything else. It scrapes and scrubs off easily enough, but it's pretty disgusting to someone who isn't very fond of sea creatures, or anything yucky.

Opua, mojiar, you've cruised here?
    Theres a thing going on where Mediterranean fan worm got into the south island on a ship circa 2008 and has been working up the coast of NZ ever since. It's in Auckland ,Whangarei and reportedly , kerikeri. Boats are not allowed to travel to the Bay of Islands without being cleaned now, which I've done last week. No sign of it on my boat.
    But we feel hard done by when our boats visit and are being infected by this virulent species of barnacle they have up there. And it seems like the fanworm horse has already bolted to me, they can't stop it.
    How far North are you heading?

We look forward to watching on Grand Designs NZ.

I was amazed to see how little growth there is on boats, poles etc. at Nelson.

Rick

John, that doesn't translate. What's a lifestyle block?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    John, that doesn't translate. What's a lifestyle block?

Dave

From Wiki
    Hobby farm.
    A hobby farm (also called a lifestyle block in New Zealand) is a smallholding or small farm that is maintained without expectation of being a primary source of income. Some are merely to provide some recreational land, and perhaps a few horses for the family's children.

I thought it was just a block out of the city. Somewhere to live for the lifestyle rather than work.

Rick

Dave, Gareth, Rick...Maybe it isn't a lifestyle block then, or is in a very broad sense, cos there ain't any farm animals. We wont have pets ourselves because of the kiwi, and becauee of our saiing anyway.A few acres, mostly bush, gardening gets done with a brush cutter and a chainsaw. A mixture of native and exotic trees and plants, the exotics are the problem. It's overgrown so we have work to do, but we're enjoying it.
    Great bird life ,tui, kiwi, kereru,grey warblers , finches,shining cuckoo ,waxeyes, fantail, ducks ,heron, royal spoon bills (haven't seen those yet),shags, rosella parakeets plus the usual blackbird/ thrush /starling /sparrow .Pests too though. .. Rabbits and possums, which is going to be a learning curve.
    It's an interesting place to be.
    Last edited by John B; 12-05-2018 at 04:19 AM.

How far North are you heading?
    Kerikeri!

Dave, Gareth, Rick...Maybe it isn't a lifestyle block then, or is in a very broad sense, cos there ain't any farm animals. We wont have pets ourselves because of the kiwi, and becauee of our saiing anyway.A few acres, mostly bush, gardening gets done with a brush cutter and a chainsaw. A mixture of native and exotic trees and plants, the exotics are the problem. It's overgrown so we have work to do, but we're enjoying it.
    Great bird life ,tui, kiwi, kereru,grey warblers , finches,shining cuckoo ,waxeyes, fantail, ducks ,heron, royal spoon bills (haven't seen those yet),shags, rosella parakeets plus the usual blackbird/ thrush /starling /sparrow .Pests too though. .. Rabbits and possums, which is going to be a learning curve.
    It's an interesting place to be.
    Sounds like a great block in an area that I am still hoping to see by road.
    If your new place has good fencing you could always aquire some goats they will clear everything for you, including your thongs sorry gum boots if left outside the house.
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 12-05-2018 at 05:54 AM.

We stayed here, while we were in Kerikeri. The owner was an ancient Swedish guy. If you are in need of lodging, I'd recommend it, assuming he's still around.

I'll have a look next time we're going through there. We have a better idea of the general geography of the area now and I can visualise where it is.

When the stars align , or more properly the phase of the moon is right, you have your seaboots to deal with the mud, mangroves and oysters, its just possible to sneak a small boat up to the land below the house. Its not our land , there's a coastal queens chain in public ownership around most of NZ, but I suppose we're custodians of that patch now.
    This is the Black Pig, world famous in our family as being inherited with our boat purchase in 1983. Its glass and 70's lime green gelcoat under the black, I've referred to it many times with a grudging respect for its longevity despite its hard life.
    In response to its lifetime of service , it gets to have the honour of the first of our boats at the new house ,and bushwhack its way in past all of the aforesaid obstacles.

20181201_141043.jpg
    Last edited by John B; 12-05-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Sounds great. We've done that now for over 20 years -- lived in a forest, and sailed a fine boat. It's nice to have the balance of trees and water.

The great thing about a forest is that you don't actually have to do anything to it, or at least not much. Almost zero maintenance. In fact, it looks after you...

It is great but is overgrown, Dave. There are some species in there that shouldn't be so we'll work at chopping some of those out and clearing some vestigial paths through for walking, and then pretty much leave it.
    experiment
    20181123_145734[1].jpg
    lousy selection of photo from a minute thumbnail but willow , punga fern and rimu tree in that shot, next to a pond and the only bit of mowed lawn in the place .
    there's one Kauri rika, a few rimu and a lot of totara. Lots of Fern and Nikau palms , which are magnificent. problems are wattle , monkey apple , flame trees and flowering cherry. small amount of gorse to be dealt with.
    Last edited by John B; 12-06-2018 at 12:49 AM.

Looks like heaven on a stick

Is there a house or are you going to build one?

Rick

Grand Designs Enzed

Looks like heaven on a stick
    For us it will be I think, Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Is there a house or are you going to build one?

Rick
    Unusual house, but we already love being in it , Rick. We had family up there last weekend, one is a professional film maker and had his drone. So we'll get a great shot off him sometime. That drone was incredible, latest mavic. He sent it off over the inlet 3 or 4 miles away. It's a dichotomy, you can see how they can be misused, also the amazing perspective from the things.

Yes, we bought a life sentence block on the Keri peninsular ,Greg. You might have to visit, bring your own chainsaw chaps. Are you doing your trip this year?

Er, I mean ,lifestyle block.
    Yes there for a week from 21Dec. Where’s the block? It has a bit of a Kerikeri inlet Rd area look to it??
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"