Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7475657
Results 1,961 to 1,975 of 1975

Thread: First boating weekend of the season...

Default Re: First boating weekend of the season...

No its just a big bucket that gets filled up every tide , Tom, and then it needs to get out. I think wave action pushes the water in and over the fringing reef, but to get out it goes out the drain ... the pass. North Minerva reef is like that too.
    It effects timing too, its real slack tide is about an hour and a 1/2 or 2 hours after published low, which shows you what sort of back up is in there. Some people say 1/2 tide is best for that same reason. I say get there and have a look at the wave at the entrance.

The boy , who is now 22, has come home from uni in Tasmania. Somehow he's wangled his way into a job sailing Ngataki.
    Ngataki is a brick of a boat , husky , burly, but much loved in NZ as the depression era ocean cruiser built in the backyard by Johnny Wray.
    He wrote the NZ classic boating book , South Sea Vagabonds, which is a highly interesting and amusing book of adventure and misadventure . Still in print ( or reprinted recently).
    She's been restored by the Tino Rawa trust , the same people who own Tucana( the last boat he had custody of before heading off to school.)

seems it's great for filling with mates and using as a mothership... rumour has it you can sleep 7 in there.... with 2 bunks.

I read that book. A fair dose of poetic licence but a very entertaining book! I particularly like the bit about the launching. Is the current Ngataki the original or a reproduction?

Rick

Same boat Rick.
    Yes they do seem to fit quite a few in there eh Jase.

So after my new tohatsu 3.5 crapped out at 10 months old due to an unfit for purpose fuel tap, Tohatsu wouldn't fix it under warranty.
    They were quite happy to sell me another tap for $50 though, it came right out the big bucket of new fuel taps sitting there at the counter.
    Oh I see, I thought, its' the ink jet printer business model, sell the motor and then make their profit from (ink)parts and service.
    I fitted the fuel tap, in effect not much more than an end loaded plastic bolt with a mild steel washer and nut. The washer and nut corrodes, loads the plastic thread and shears it off. The fuel then dumps over your teak, transom or the sea. Or all 3.
    So I took the 3.5 along with the 9.8 away to the pacific islands, and in Neiafu I put it on the dinghy to get ashore, at which time it dumped its' fuel again on its second unfit for purpose fuel tap.
    So that slightly over 1 year old Tohatsu 3.5 then became metal baggage we carried for 3000 odd miles .

So why all this? So I can tell yall how to fix a 3.5 HP tohatsu!
    I just did it.
    Go to your yamaha dealer, buy a Yamaha 2 HP fuel tap, it' a properly made unit. It fits perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    So why all this? So I can tell yall how to fix a 3.5 HP tohatsu!
    I just did it.
    Go to your yamaha dealer, buy a Yamaha 2 HP fuel tap, it' a properly made unit. It fits perfectly.

Thanks for the heads up JB. I have a Tohatsu 4 stroke that I bought about five or six (or more?) years ago for my TS16, though it’s a 6hp and it’s probably got 2 hrs on it having been parked in the shed while I’ve been working away (last use I think was an EBS - that’s how long ago ). But I’m wondering if it’s the same fuel tap, probably quite likely and probably completely RS as well by now.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

This sort of stuff is just infuriating Greg. So we have 2 Tohatsu outboards . One is the one handed lift onto the dinghy , go short trip outboard. The other is the 9.8 planing outboard , lets do a mission, go a few miles.
    As we know , my 3.5 is out of order ( till last night, when I fitted the new yamaha tap)
    So on the weekend we had a short , return in the dead of night trip ashore and we had to lift the big motor on . On removing the motor off the dinghy transom the next morning one of the toggles you use to tighten the bolts onto the transom drops off. This is a 2014 motor , call me old fashioned but I think of it as new as well.
    What the?
    say what?

On inspection, cast alloy toggle handle, mild steel rivet through. The steel rivet has rotted and gone .
    So as I was picking up the new fuel tap for the little motor I had a look at all the yamaha motors on their stands. They have stainless rivets through composite toggle handles. I daresay they won't rot in 3 or 4 years when exposed to salt spray and a sea environment.
    I happen to have a dead yammy 2 hp as a spare which proves that. A friend gave it to me after he dunked it when he got knocked down in his 42 ft yacht. It was on its pad on the pushpit at the time but went underwater. ( snigger).

So I've part picked the toggles off that and they'll do.
    but what next.
    Last edited by John B; 11-28-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Friday here, goin' sailing tomorrow .
    But back to our trip....

After leaving Fulaga we meandered up the Lau group chain visiting yagasa cluster , Namuka I lau and Komo islands. All well worth the visit although I might have said , we did have a hell night in Yagasa. A wind change had us backed onto the cliffs , I was on watch most of the night , had the motor running for several hours waiting for light to get outa Dodge.

Komo on to Oneata., where we had the most ,let me say , exciting bit of navigating to do. As usual ( by now ) we entered a reef pass and had 2 or 3 miles to go to get to the island anchorage. We had a night passage to do out of there so it was a matter of going in slowly , marking the two dangerous bommies at the entrance with waypoints and having the 3 navigation devices plotting tracks. They all agreed, sighting the dangers agreed, we two boats , Riada and Mahia doing the same and choosing the same track. Good to go at 10 o dark.

Why the night passage? .. because the next place was 70 miles away and we needed to see to go in and its only light between about 6.30 or 7 and 5.30.. So that was an hour of tense instrument navigating out of there between the 2 bommies at 100m apart and the main reef pass of about 4 or 500 M. Pitch black, cloud cover , no star or moon.
    We did that Ok running flat off in about 20 knots , so quite fast and then threaded the next reefs by Lakemba before hitting some relatively open water. And then on to Vanua Bulavu again.

One of our friends was in a bit of trouble . He'd got a coral cut a month or so before and was fighting infection . Man its a worry, he'd had a couple of rounds of antibiotics and had been in hospital twice to get the coral out. He was back in hospital in Lakemba and that is a bad anchorage.3 days there with 1st mate and sister in charge of the boat, they did well but not without incident. They were getting out of there and heading to Malaka bay in Vanua Bulavu so we were going to catch up and stand by.
    That worked out well and he got on the mend after that, but it does bring me to the Malaka bay fish attack story...........

20170802_092700.jpg
    That there is a beltfish, Beliti( sp), and the knife is about 400 mm long , 16 inches say .
    20170802_093232.jpg

It jumped in our bed at 5 am.
    Last edited by John B; 11-30-2017 at 07:25 PM.

The answer is yes, we do want to hear all about the big fish that jumped into your bed at 5am.

Rick

Yeah , thats bad leaving it like that isn't it, Not my intention . Got a phone call ,finally got my rear ended car back , went home , loaded boat , went sailing , had a party with all the old classics plus their boats, came home, had a big lie down.

Hard to adequately describe waking for what passes for REM sleep these days at 5 o dark in a remote anchorage in an island in Fiji because a fish has jumped in the bed between yourself and your wife.
    Kirsty noticed it first ,and while I was still saying ' whaaa'?' she announced that the thrashing was in fact a fish. Somehow she'd managed to scuttle up the hull and was doing a spiderman impersonation from the deckhead.
    What I could see was something silver going nuts and what looked like the beak of a piper opening and closing. They have a lot of long nosed , long beak fish up there, some called Long Toms that grow out to 3 or 4 ft in length.
    I must have have strung some cohesive thought together because there was no way I was grabbing it near any mouth parts. I grabbed it around its middle and peered at the 'beak', cept it wasn't a beak , it was the tail opening and closing from a streamline to a normal fishy tail shape. This meant the teeth were in fact at the other end.
    Once the geography was sorted out I clambered one handed out of that there bunk and put what turned out to be the slimiest fish in the world into a bucket where it expired due to lack of breath or crush injuries, or both.
    Spiderwoman detached herself from the beams and I looked around in the pitch black to see what barsteward might have thrown a fish at us for reasons of the mischievous kind.

There were no boats in near proximity, Riada has about a metre freeboard then coamings . On top of the coamings is a hard dodger of another metre say. That dodger has a companionway thing going on but its 2 metres above sea level.

We needed to investigate this thoroughly and properly , a mystery needed to be solved.

' What would Gus from CSI do?' I thought.
    ' what would Dexter from , er .. Dexter do?' I thought.

First I looked around above decks . On the large hatch coaming directly above our sleeping heads was a slimy /scaly residue.

Looking at the dodger hatch coaming obliquely and above that there was also a similar residue.

AAAAH HAH.

Using a convenient tool for aligning the track of the missile, a fishing rod, we worked out the probable track and trajectory......

20170802_092837.jpg

20170802_092915.jpg

20170802_092942.jpg
    Last edited by John B; 12-03-2017 at 05:48 PM.

Below decks in the investigation ..... with topper pad and sheets and pillows and all our sleeping stuff removed ..

Attachment 6807

Attachment 6808
    Last edited by John B; 12-03-2017 at 07:09 PM.

Concluding the investigation it became evident that the aforesaid Beltfish jumped into the boat all on its lonesome, probably chased by something bigger and heavier,( not that there were any dents in the topsides) all was left to do was have a closer look at the business end of its physiognomy

Attachment 6809

Interesting how its mouth is shaped I thought , that beak affair there looks like it would do a nice job of clasping whatever unfortunate prey might get hooked in those backward angled lower jaw fangs.

Then I opened its jaws a little bit, the beak withdrew and Nosferatu came out....
    20170802_124508.jpg
    Last edited by John B; 12-03-2017 at 07:10 PM.

Friday here...
    After the fish attack we spent some time back in the Bay of Islands, Vanua balavu, it was about 60 or 70 miles to our next destination of Taveuni, unless the weather cooperated and we could visit a special place. It did, and the direction meant reaches instead of a run.
    The risk is the same as normal , if the wind comes up in an exposed location like this place , Duff reef, you have to ride it out at anchor . getting out at night would be doable but would expose you to more risk than staying.
    Its remote and not often visited except by locals who use it as a fish camp. Big Atoll with one sand cay about 2 metres above the water. You could have knocked me down with a feather when I saw the palms , they weren't there 5 years ago when my friend Dave went there in Riada II.
    You enter the atoll from the west between wide reefs and bommies and go about 2 miles in to the sand cay. Closer you get the more you need to sight navigate around the coral.
    Mahia there is a balsa core Lotus 1280 designed by Alan Wright circa 1990 or so.( oops .. maybe she's a cedar core, I'll have to check.) Great boat, walked this cruise, as did her owners Mal and Pauline. Like us they did all the 'local ' cruising and island passages 2 up ( with the occasional family visitor) and had crew for the ocean passages to and from NZ . we spent a lot of time with them to both of our advantage . They pushed us into some memorable places and experiences , and we did the same . This one was us pushing them to go to place they'd never heard of or would have thought of going to.

20170803_115505.jpg

20170803_135322.jpg
    Last edited by John B; 12-07-2017 at 07:36 PM.

Greatest fish story , first time I have heard that one.

Although I would prefer the fish to the copra rat which landed on my chest in the Tuamotous. This was followed by two hilarious rat hunting days ,with a full on midnight chase on our deck involving two bare asses a Hawaiian sling complete with a very bright deck light. The final score resulting in a number of gel coat chips and despite my blood thirsty intentions the rat abandoning our Contessa unhurt using the anchor chain and swimming ashore.