Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1656656667 LastLast
Results 2,276 to 2,310 of 2314

Thread: First boating weekend of the season...

Default Re: First boating weekend of the season...

20190705_173858.jpg
    Yum yum maybe.

That cleat needs a lanyard

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Looks like a nice spot. Cassava glue, that was it.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Neil C View Post
    That cleat needs a lanyard
    Neil, the Herreshoff pattern cleat , goes where he is required without constraints like lanyards or bolts. He's even been to the beach, but he wasn't allowed ashore at the minerva reefs in case he got up to mischief.
    Chart rock, which is sitting beside him, also has the freedom of the cockpit.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Looks like a nice spot. Cassava glue, that was it.

The ubiquitous yamaha boat or panga ,plus the equally ubiquitous yamaha 40hp or so 2 stroke enduro. The pacific runs on zoom. ....the premixed 50 to 1 at the pumps.

We visited an American yacht a couple of days ago. I dragged through racial memory and came up with Morris yachts when I saw the logo in the cove line, described it to a cruising friend as 'like a Hinckley' quality wise. I really like the look of it. Got something right, Morris and Hinckley shared some designers apparently and Morris was eventually bought by Hinckley, so the owner's tell me. Anyway, who was the designer but the great Chuck Paine!
    No wonder it caught my eye.
    Ice bear from Cutler, Maine. They're picking back up with the ARC world Rally.
    20190705_131120.jpg
    Last edited by John B; 07-05-2019 at 03:49 PM.

Yes, cassava, that's it - yuk!

Paw paw and fresh bananas - lovely! I do love coconut palms and tropical water!

But not completely jealous - delivering a Swan 60 to Hamilton Is at the end of the month. Not Fiji though .....

Rick

Anywhere on a Swan 60 would be just fine I'm sure.

Have a great trip Rick.
    Currently at Blue Lagoon. Named for the movie with the famously underage Brooke Sheilds in some hot for the day scenes.
    No sign of Dave Perillos navigator yet. Maybe tomorrow as its Monday. Or we could go on a dinghy hunt for it.

We did go on a navigator hunt. Still owned by Toki... still working for her keep as the market garden boat.
    Wbf not accepting my images today. Ah well...the boat is still alive and well.20190708_130353.jpg
    Last edited by John B; 07-09-2019 at 09:12 PM.

2 or 3 days making our way up the yasawa chain ...now at the top of yasawa island proper.
    Hit reverse and backed out of our track today...we were creeping in and had to turn to the sun which lost us our sight line from a couple of boatlengths in front. No harm no foul, good spotting by the crew up on the bow pulpit.
    20190710_144809.jpg

Some very pretty spots and no other boats except our buddy's on Mahia..probably because of moderate easterlies. The easterlies are great because they're offshore and dampen down the famous roll from the ocean swells.
    Last edited by John B; 07-11-2019 at 09:45 PM.

Attachment 41149
    Pick up your drink from the green counter just in front

Yasawa irara village...what a nice place and nice sevusevu. An enlightened chief who would rather something useful like flour or rice or tools than yangona/kava. Kava is only drunk by the men...20190713_110731.jpg
    Last edited by John B; 07-13-2019 at 12:03 AM.

Is there a lot of expecting gifts in exchange for anchorage these days?

If you cruise an area in Fiji you are expected to make yourself known to the local village and bring a gift of kava root to the chief.That simple ceremony is called sevusevu. In return for that you are given access to the village, the fishing, the access to other beaches in the region. The village takes some responsibility for you and your wellbeing. Its quite healthy.
    The issue of the gift is the interesting dynamic. If it is traditional kava then the only people who benefit are the men getting their kava. If it is flour or sugar or tools or rice..school supplies,others including the kids and families benefit.

The exception to the sevusevu rule is when you visit larger towns or centres, or resort anchorages.
    Many cruisers will just stick to those and that might explain why we have a coast to ourselves plus our friends and one other. We've paid about 40 fjd for a week to 10 days worth of anchorages, endless coconuts, the right to fish and go wherever we want , pretty good really. We could stay a month for the same

Always great reading and experiencing your cruising through some of those great photos. I have heard the water clarity up the Yasawa group is amazing.

It certainly is where we are ,Tom. Check the anchor set from the boat or dinghy

20190715_090113.jpg

Squid and sand ,about 8 metres of water.
    Last edited by John B; 07-14-2019 at 04:13 PM.

We spent another couple of days at the best beach and checked out the very top of the yasawas islandsin the afternoon. Reason being we needed a track and to check out the pass so we could head off with the sun in the wrong place first thing the next day. 40 or 45 miles to the next island heading east so all of the rest of the day and the arrival time was sun assisted . Good strategy , we spotted two uncharted reef patches on the way and zigged around them. 60 metres deep to 2 metres plus or minus in no time.
    Yadua island has a bay nearly completely enclosed by land and reef on the west. It looks wide open but the pass is only about 4 boat lengths or so wide, get yer game face on. Pretty heavy wind overnight and next day, one good day and a tropical thunderstorm complete with lightning close enough for me to get up and make sure tablets etc were all unplugged.
    Next day dead light...yup.
    Around to the village for sevusevu, there's a truly cool pass in on the eastern side which seems very narrow from the boat, and there's a couple of coral bommies to steer around. Cool, cool spot, very nice , very tidy and pleasant village. But weather and wind said go for strategic reasons, so go we did...30 miles due south across Bligh water to Nanuya I ra, Volivoli. So we're back on the Viti levu coast , top left hand corner . Positioned nicely to hug the coast down to Ovalau and then that favourite of mine, Macogai.
    Last edited by John B; 07-21-2019 at 04:41 PM.

All sounding wonderful!!

Rick

It's bloody cold and raining here, and blowing a gale. Just thought you should know that.

20190716_082729.jpg
    More squid, back in yasawa.

20190717_123907.jpg
    Ziggin and zagging the pascoe reef patches.

What you see at boat level.. this is leaving the nananu I ra area yesterday.
    20190723_095608.jpg

What is there...
    Screenshot_20190723-095553_Ovitalmap.jpg
    Last edited by John B; 07-24-2019 at 12:13 AM.

That navigation seems nerve wracking! Do you send someone up to the spreaders?

Nup, just stand on a bench on the pulpit. We have sent a mate up the spreaders once but that was a very fraught area.
    Modern charts and Google earth plus eyeball seems to nail it. Just coming up to a tight one now ...15 minutes away....bad light but I have a track from last time to help. Well go slow.

Clunk.

How are you checking google earth (or posting to the forum) while under way in a remote island nation? I can't even do that in my home waters. Apologies if its mentioned elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    How are you checking google earth (or posting to the forum) while under way in a remote island nation? I can't even do that in my home waters. Apologies if its mentioned elsewhere.

Cell phone service is often quite good in countries that did not really get a decent land line service. Sat phones, like the Iridium Go, are getting into the "affordable if used judiciously" range.

This is the first time we bought a local sim. Quadruple the data I get at home.....can't use it all.
    But Google earth you get through various sources. I use ovital, you look at wherever you plan to go at the layer/level of resolution you want at home or in wifi somewhere. It caches it. So all we need is the GPS location turned on on the device.....no internet requirement.
    Voila...this is what we're attempting to miss right now. I can bear away 10 or 20 degrees after that . We used ge plus charts plus eyeball at very close range this am to get out through the macogai reefs. Bad light today.
    Screenshot_20190726-103405_Ovitalmap.jpg
    Last edited by John B; 07-25-2019 at 05:40 PM.

Makongai was worth the visit, only a night and overcast weather. Good to see the clam and turtle hatchery back on stream.20190725_115856.jpg

Next day we were back in coral pass mode for the exit on the northern side, about 20 knots from the east and very close seas across the Koro sea. 40 miles in 5 hours dead, Riada had 10s showing on waves to get that 8 knot average. Savusavu is a clearance port on an estuary sort of inlet between the land and an island. It's the sort of place you love to arrive at and can't wait to leave. No moorings so we were slotted into the dock. Med moor, never done that before .quit a cross wind.... It was going well until it didnt. Ah well, no damage.
    20190727_135815.jpg
    The big boat is Waianiwa, owned by a famous and inspirational yachting family in nz. Chris Bouzaid and Rainbow won the one ton cup in 69 or 70 and created giant interest in the sport here. I mean, in nz. I still own a signed copy of the book, Go Rainbow,Go.
    Last edited by John B; 07-30-2019 at 03:07 PM.

Soggysoggy to Fawn harbour. Fawn harbour to Viani bay inside the reefs the last few miles
    Screenshot_20190731-073837_Facebook.jpg

That's actually the Mahia track, we led that day. That Pass in the centre was extremely tight.
    Last edited by John B; 08-06-2019 at 04:52 AM.

Nothing quite like a tight ass.

That was a funny tyo....I mean tyPo. My phone is in a more than useless so called and branded life proof case. It's useless because the little window that protects the camera lens fell out on day 2 of the trip which was also about the amount of time it spent outside of its brand spanking new packet.
    But I've left it on to give it some bounce protection, even if it ain't waterproof anymore. You have to ress harder...dammit...press to get the Ps to work.

Viani bay to Matei on Taveuni. Picked up a couple of wooden boaters ....Taveuni through the Florida reefs to Rabi island for manta rays. Anchored , 8 manta rays right there , check.
    Up to paradise on a stick, Albert cove.
    Down to Kioa island. Rabi is ocean islanders, Kioa is Tuvalu. Pretty area but very exposed to the north. Fortunately the wind was from the south.yay.
    Used a hurricane hole on the mainland to try it out. No wind, 24 knots outside...seems like a good option.
    Now back at Matei waiting to drop off our guests and hope for a weather window to go southeast into the Lau group.
    The Lau group, as we know from last time is relatively untouched and has few if any resorts, shops, bars, boats and people.
    It is the real paradise.

Oh a funny thing. One of the boat kids is here at Matei ....
    She's working on an American built and owned superyacht, Kawil. Haven't seen her for ages...great to catch up ,a long way from home.
    Last edited by John B; 08-06-2019 at 10:00 PM.

Livin' the dream there Mr B!

Rick