Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8485758
Results 1,996 to 2,000 of 2000

Thread: First boating weekend of the season...

Default Re: First boating weekend of the season...

This is the old Spirit of Adventure , now a charter boat in Denerau.
    Spirit was our sail training vessel based out of Auckland. I was on voyage number 13 as a 16 year old ,and my wife to be was on one a year or two later.
    she was rigged with yards then and had a large deck house. Those are removed for ease of handling and more guests on deck for day trips.

The last swim after clearing out and before punching out through the reefs, my wife decided to paddle a bottle of bubbly over to our friends on Mahia as a goodbye...

Crossing through the reefs south of Denerau / musket is like a line in the sand . One side , 5 or 8 knots and flat calm , the other side 15 to 20 to 30 in half a mile and the whole southern ocean trade swells to bust through. Goin' home.
    Last edited by John B; 06-12-2018 at 05:35 PM.

and a few tools in action... predict wind wind and swell data
    the colours represent 4 different models . GFS , ECMW, and the 2 predictwind interpretations of those two providers.
    When they agree you know , when they disagree as you see around the 8th... 9th .. then you choose who you think is best.

The AIS spotted this thing . He wouldn't answer our hails but I think just the VHF racket we made caused him to alter course behind us. My dilemma of course was should I stop and go behind him , but I was nervous about what might be behind him. Anyway , no harm no foul, 500 miles out.

Last edited by John B; 06-12-2018 at 05:43 PM.

Kirsty about to come off watch later in the trip...

Generally we were 'on the wind' nearly the whole way. We took 6 and half days thereabouts ... actually it might have been 6 days 14 hours after we slowed down for our landfall at first light. Thats reasonably quick considering the wind direction.

And that was our trip. We cleared in at Opua and then took a few days to come down the coast.

A lot of the guys we cruised with last season have left and are in Tonga and Fiji now , I wish I was too.
    Last edited by John B; 06-12-2018 at 05:48 PM.

Nice spot for that Flexi panel on top of the rib. Thanks for putting up the photos. That tarp,or whatever sheltering Kirsty on watch looks, um, err, I guess it did the job!

That was just a square of canvas we had for something else , but we rigged it as a lee cloth for that windward side .... made a big difference. It was especially good on the trip up actually , when we had a lot of spray in much heavier air and bigger waves.