Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4445354
Results 1,856 to 1,876 of 1876

Thread: First boating weekend of the season...

Default Re: First boating weekend of the season...

Ah, glad to hear it. I see a removable hard dodger in Masina's future too.

Rick

Good to hear everything is working well and you guys having a great time.
    Also I strongly belief in doing your own navigation always with the sun in the right position ,while moving around inside the lagoons and around the reefs.

While using a local guide may be offered and tempting at times when conditions are not perfect, an extra degree of caution might be advisable.
    I still recall the close call the lead boat had with a corral head in the Tuomotus when the guide turned out to be a visitor from another Atoll.
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 08-08-2017 at 10:32 PM.

Great to hear from you JB, I enjoyed your photos on FB too. Im reminded of a few things from back when we were there. For one passage we took on a guide, to get us into the very tricky passage through the reef where we were going. When we got there it turned out he'd never been there at all, just wanted to visit his sister. My dad had a colleague in Pacific History, called Bruce. He was really looking forward to visiting Fiji, and hearing his name pronounced MMMBroothay. Devastated when everyone called him Brucy. And finally, a coastal overnight race off Moresby when we were there. Running completely blind, flat out, tacking our way up a passage between reefs. Completely reliant on GPS and wanting to get the most out of every tack. I was on the helm for a while, mostly just focused on indicated boatspeed with half an eye on the telltales on the sails, tacking when called to do so, and sometimes I'd hear but not see the waves breaking what seemed like only a couple of metres away as we came around. Puckering moments.
    Last edited by Phil Y; 08-08-2017 at 08:09 PM.

Hey John, just bumping this up,so you can find it, seeing you posted on Bobbys thread. Hoping things are going fantasticagoricamaly.

Cheers Phil
    Brief update.
    Viani bay and snorkeling on the various dives, got in the water with manta rays at Rambi island. Lots of outriggers there which is cool. Budd reef interesting but we had 20 odd knots on an 8 knot forecast... quite big waves past the boat at anchor.
    Sickened to be hearing the news regarding Beveridge reef this morning and just learned that what I'd dreaded on first hearing it seems to have happened. Good to hear all are safe , which ultimately is all that matters

What news is that JB?

Rick

Ah, that catamaran - very bad news!

Rick

Very sad. The big trip gone so bad. Good to hear all is well on Riada. I'm sure the weather forecasts out there are not much better than they were 40 years ago. I remember those outriggers, rather harsh on the topsides eh?

Riada's on the move. Looks like crew pickup to me ... or tv withdrawals?

Rick

I can't really make out where they are. Maybe need more beer?

Makogai

I thought they might be heading for Suva.

Rick

We've just arrived at nananu I thake from Naingani and Makongai. Scuse the phonetics.
    Fell into hotel California before that,otherwise known as Savusavu . Our cruising buddies are still there with a windlass issue. It's OK. The parts are in Fiji somewhere with DHL and will arrive tomorrow. Tomorrow of course is a subjective description and means sometime between 5 days ago and a point in the future.
    Makongai was a shock.. I love it there and only started to relax again after 3 or 4 weeks mostly in places I never want to see again. It was badly hit by cyclone Winston last year and has gone from a vibrant small village to a place with 3 houses and one man caretaking. Still....I do love the place. We had Inoke out on the boat for sundowners with the Astarte's and the Navire's. He told me later that it was the first time he'd ever been invited out on a cruising boat and the first time in a dinghy. What a shock to hear that considering the welcome he gives every boat.
    Hopped 15 miles or so to Naigani for the night yestrrday and weaved the reefs all day today up the east coast of Viti Levu to this top north eastern corner. Blustery 25 knots... we made the Navalau passage under about 80 ft of jib and still couldn't do much under 5 knots. It's a buzz. Those reefs are definitely a buzz to navigate.
    Last edited by John B; 09-06-2017 at 12:46 AM.

According to my iPad, Riada is doing 0.6 knots this morning. Clearly those Rocna anchors are no good.

Rick

Terrible things. .. very difficult to get off the ground.
    Crossed Bligh water to Yandua.. a few nice days there. Good sail from there to Saw a I lau in the Yasawsas. Just arrived at Blue Lagoon next island down. Blustery, bad charts,lots of reefs.

Which charts are you using?

Rick

Navionics,c map,Isailor, admiralty paper, Pickmeres paper.
    The issue is the lack of data and incomplete surveys around the Yasawsas . No soundings. Everywhere else has been fine.
    Google Earth is pretty good here but is often missing reefs as they haven't been photographed or are blurred out.
    Eyeball is king.

Is that all? Make sure you go better prepared next time!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Is that all? Make sure you go better prepared next time!

Rick
    Heh heh heh. Yeah it's every advantage around here. Seriously not fun 5 miles today with 20 25 knots chopping up the visibility. Made it though. Haven't seen Brooke Shields.

She's probably not quite what she was in the movie, but may well have aged like a good wine.

Dave Perillo's old Navigator just came into the bay loaded up with fresh produce for sale.
    That was a great story but I don't know if it's still on the Web.
    Short version...Dave freighted his Navigator to fiji and spent a few months cruising. Rather than freight it back he gave to a local family.
    Edit... just been alongside and a bit more to the story. The boat was damaged ,sold and repaired... then cyclone Winston badly ripped her up last year and she got mostly a new bottom in her. The owner Toki told me he sailed it to Lautoka with 4 goats and a kid of his own. 8 hrs.
    Last edited by John B; 09-14-2017 at 08:13 PM.