Thread: Ford Ranger coolant hose through firewall

Default Ford Ranger coolant hose through firewall

I have drips of coolant on my passenger side floormat. When I got home today and stopped the engine I got a big cloud of steam from the engine compartment also passenger side. Looking under the hood at the top of the passenger side firewall I have two hoses that connect to stubs coming out of the firewall. Lower down in the same area there is a stub that has no hose on it, but was wet and looked very much like that was were the coolant was leaking....but I can't find an unconnected hose that looked like it popped off.

I was thinking that the top two were in and out for the heater core...but what would that bottom one be?

Default Re: Ford Ranger coolant hose through firewall

Quote Originally Posted by JMAC View Post
    but what would that bottom one be?
    the drain for the air conditioner

I have drips of coolant on my passenger side floormat. When I got home today and stopped the engine I got a big cloud of steam from the engine compartment also passenger side. Looking under the hood at the top of the passenger side firewall I have two hoses that connect to stubs coming out of the firewall. Lower down in the same area there is a stub that has no hose on it, but was wet and looked very much like that was were the coolant was leaking....but I can't find an unconnected hose that looked like it popped off.

I was thinking that the top two were in and out for the heater core...but what would that bottom one be?
    Sounds like the heater core is leaking. Turn your heater on defrost and see if it smells like anti freeze and leaves a film on your windshield.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    the drain for the air conditioner

Or the drain from the heater core box. Put there just for times when the heater core leaks.

I'd agree with all 3 posts. Particularly that you probably have a leaking heater core. If you have an early model - it looks as though it's a simple job & under $50 in parts. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...04#post1420704

Good luck!

Hopefully a pretty easy repair. The heater core may have "quick release" fittings." If the black crud they seal the hole with gets under the tabs, may be best to cut the hose.

I don't have air conditioning. If the stub I saw was the heater core drain in case it leaks, then that would explain why there was no loose hose in sight. The hose fittings up top are the "undo with pliers" type...but to get the heater core out? Can I get at it without dismantling the dash?

I don't have air conditioning. If the stub I saw was the heater core drain in case it leaks, then that would explain why there was no loose hose in sight. The hose fittings up top are the "undo with pliers" type...but to get the heater core out? Can I get at it without dismantling the dash?
    If it's an early ranger, the link in my post above shows how to do it. Looks like a really simple job.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    If it's an early ranger, the link in my post above shows how to do it. Looks like a really simple job.
    Sawzall makes all jobs simple!

My wife's Bronco II had the same problem, turned out to be the heater coil. If I remember right the glove box just popped out and there it was. If I remember right.

OK - maybe my posts are invisible? Everyone has me on ignore? Now that I'd understand.... Let's see if anyone sees this one. 1) remove the 2 hoses, 2) remove 4 screws from the plastic housing in the passenger footwell 3) remove cover 4) pull out heater core (nothing else holding it in). Assembly is reverse, except that ya gots to add antifreeze. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...04#post1420704

Did someone hear something? Sounded like a tall guy, but not FredZ?

Tall guy with white paint scrapes on his bumper?

Just over the right rear wheel on the plastic bumper. Rubbed off with some lacquer thinner.

Thank you both for answering my question. Nice to know I'm being ignored instead of not heard. I think?????

If Garret was here he would know how to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    If Garret was here he would know how to fix it.
    Garrett who?

There were rumors of a Garrett sighting at Port Townsend. I put it down to too much beer and such by the reporters!

Actually, I thought I something out of the corner of my eye - but it was so brief, it probably was an occipital illusion <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Spotted at Mystic...

Wow....am I out of the inside joke or what! Do you guys just meet up on the automotive queries? I'll be poking around under the dash this morning to see if it is "piece of cake" removal.

It's not as described by the link . http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...04#post1420704 which says it's for 1st generation Rangers...It was too easy so they re-engineered it as they do with all used-to-be-simple car stuff.

"The first time is a bit daunting but it's not hard, just take your time and you can have it done in a weekend, if you work fast, you might have it done in a long day." ....also from the Explorer Forum...complete dash removal...hey, take out the seats and console too so you have room to work.....crap!

Wow....am I out of the inside joke or what! Do you guys just meet up on the automotive queries? I'll be poking around under the dash this morning to see if it is "piece of cake" removal.
    They're giving me a (justified;-) hard time. I was just out in Port Townsend - so more fuel for 'em!

Bummer it's different! What year ranger do you have?

1998, still in good shape, just replaced the engine this year...probably don't have the time and inside knowledge to change this myself.

1998, still in good shape, just replaced the engine this year...probably don't have the time and inside knowledge to change this myself.
    Yup - the later ones do require pulling the dash apart. I hate it that manufacturers do that - especially when they had it right to begin with! I have a VW that needs a heater core (not leaking, just partially plugged). The core is $60 but the factory time estimate to replace it is 16 hours. Not gonna get done.....

Good luck with it!