Thread: Sauna Boat

Default Sauna Boat

Check out www.saunaboat.com

The sauna boat was designed and built by Ken Hunt. This boat is truly one of a kind and absolutly amazing. It allows for all weather enjoyment of the waterand is an absolute blast.

Default Re: Sauna Boat

That is a wonderful concept. Too bad it'd only be cool enough to use it around here maybe two months out of the year.

Some finnish versions of the same theme

This is the most hilarious I have seen so far, the Fin Duck:

All of these look terrible and I hate it when I see one of those atrocities on my lake, but I bet any of them has a better sauna than their more elegant american cousin

This is the wooden boat forum, not the wooden barge forum.

I couldn't find good pics of the stove. The raft and the building look alright. Wishing he could heat it up to proper readings. Around 180 F and a bit hgher is nice. 140 F is no-no for almost all Finns. Not kidding.
    ~ God bless and protect all sailors and please let them guys make boats longer than I have my skis amen ~

Quote Originally Posted by Antti Alfthan View Post
    I couldn't find good pics of the stove. The raft and the building look alright. Wishing he could heat it up to proper readings. Around 180 F and a bit hgher is nice. 140 F is no-no for almost all Finns. Not kidding.
    It claims to get up to 200*, I'm guessing it means fahrenheit.
    Then once by man and angels to be seen,
    In roaring he shall rise and on the surface die.

Quote Originally Posted by OconeePirate View Post
    It claims to get up to 200*, I'm guessing it means fahrenheit.
    I do hope your guess is right man! 200 C is for baking bread, not for mad Finns. The hottest - smoke sauna - I've been in, was 140 C. Too dry there. And that sauna burned down some later.
    ~ God bless and protect all sailors and please let them guys make boats longer than I have my skis amen ~

I was planning to build such a barge when I was a kid. Naturally it never materialized, a sauna barge, or a liveaboard barge of similar size is no small undertaking. I got the idea from a Donald Duck story where Donald dragged his nephews on such a boat and everyone was miserable, but I thought it was cool anyway.
    1947 Nordic Folkboat "Nina"

It gets much higher than 180F. We have gotten it as high as 300 but it is usually between 150 and 250F depending on who is in it.

It is located in northern new york and gets used from May to October. The sauna means you can enjoy the lake so much longer!

Quote Originally Posted by huntah View Post
    It is located in northern new york and gets used from May to October. The sauna means you can enjoy the lake so much longer!
    You can keep it in the frozen lake as well? - Cutting a good sized hole in the ice and letting the outboard run for some time before bathing, not during though, you can enjoy it all year round. - Congrats!