Thread: First Boat(s), Baby Tender or Baby Tender II

Default First Boat(s), Baby Tender or Baby Tender II

I've been lurking for a while and finally have run into a dilemma that requires my first post!

Over a year ago, my wife and I were expecting our first child and I purchased plans from Jordan Wood Boats for his Baby Tender : http://www.jordanwoodboats.com/home.cfm?dir_cat=4961

Sadly, my wife had a miscarriage and I never built the boat. Well, she is pregnant again and all is looking very very good and I am ready to take a stab at the cradle boat again. The only issue is that we are expecting twins now!

This is my first boat, I am at a best an intermediate woodworker and have a day job that doesn't allow a ton of shop time. The kids are due in early March so I have 6 months to build two cradles (well, since these are twins, probably a little less than 6 months).

I know a few of you have built these as I've read through the posts, so is it even remotely realistic for a first time builder to try and pull off a pair of these, or do I have a better chance of pulling it off with the Baby Tender II?
    http://www.jordanwoodboats.com/home.cfm?dir_cat=5061

I like the Tender II a lot, but I really love the lines of the Tender I. However, only having one finished by the due date probably isn't the best scenario.

All advice and suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    Alex

Any

Default Re: First Boat(s), Baby Tender or Baby Tender II

It might go faster if you worked from a kit - if you're not stuck on that particular design there's always the one from Chesapeake Light Craft.

I can say putting the bottom On the baby tender II was quick. A good thing as it still needed to be done when my daughter was born.
    There appear to be more cradle design alternatives now, including some kits, I think

good luck!

Here's a pic of a Baby Tender I built a few years back. This was my fourth build and absolutely the most difficult. There is a huge amount of curve and twist in those little planks, which required lots of steaming. If you had plenty of time I'd say go with this design, as the project will certainly add to your boatbuiding skills. But with limited time, and with two boats to build, I'd recommend the Tender II.

Thanks all for the advice, it's what I was expecting (sadly). I guess the one benefit of doing a pair of Tender II's is that they should be cheaper than Tender I's and with a pair on the way, every penny counts.

Terry, yours is one of the one's that initially pointed me in the direction of the Tender I, you did an amazing job!

Thanks again all and look out for a thread on the upcoming build!

Alex

Even easier, if you're cramped for time like I was, is to build the Papoose from Jordan. I ordered the kit, but if I would have planned better, it would have been fun to source some really good looking lumber scraps for it. I also had plans for a better paint scheme, but the water-based PU looked OK and no VOC concerns (I don't think properly cured paint and varnish would, either). As it turned out, not half bad for my rudimentary skills, and a whole lot of fun to build in a couple of evenings with some good tunes on the iPod...

Last edited by ffiksa; 09-09-2010 at 11:39 PM.

Well, others have come up with pictures of a Tender I and a papoose, so I'll dig out my tender II.

So, this is what is looked like on delivery day:

In use:

and at the boat show:

planks are white pine, cherry trim, red oak internal stems and rockers, mahogany transom and knees.

Those are some great looking cradle boats and crew! This is turning out to be a tougher decision than I had anticipated!

I sent an email to Warren Jorden and he thought I could pull off the Tender I, if I was able to devote enough time. Encouraging, but I am worried that there will be a lot of other draws on my spare time getting ready for this pair, so I guess I am still leaning towards the Tender II.

As for wood, I was thinking somthing along the lines of what essaunders did, except birch for the planks and cherry for everything else. Any thoughts on those combinations? I was thinking about painting the exterior and leaving the interior bright, but the ones finished completely bright look amazing too.

Argh! Decisions, decisions!

Alex

I used whatever wood was in the "shorts" bin at the yard. Except the pine. That was a full board carefully selected from a new shipment of no2 pine. The bottom boards came out of a piece of standard trim. Saved resawing and planing for that bit anyway.

Any wood really should be fine. Do you have a bandsaw and planer? I bought both for this project -- and spent way more time getting them to work right than actually building.

Erik
    Last edited by essaunders; 09-10-2010 at 05:31 PM.