Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ted Brewer 25' Catboat MODEL

Default Re: Ted Brewer 25' Catboat MODEL

Thanks Breakaway! It does take extra effort and consideration.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Armstrong View Post
    Nice! I'm not very experienced in model building, but it seems like carvel planking something this scale would be pretty hard (compared to strip planking). For instance, did you actually hollow the planks at the turn of the bilge? The books I've read about modeling large ships basically use carvel planks, but it's more like strip planking, since at the scale of the large ships, the planks are pretty narrow.

Ed
    I missed this earlier. Yes the planks do have some twist and some carving or sanding of some of the planks or end of some planks do need adjustment so they will fit properly. It is not that hard since it is a model.

Today I finished the painting on the bottom of the boat. Seven coats of Hunter green sanded between each coat.
    On the last coat I wet sand it with 600 grit and leave it.

A suggestion on the bottom paint. If the boat is a pure display model and won't be going into the water, I suggest that you try using acrylic flat house paint. I use Benjamin Moore tinted to match bottom paint. The results look just like a fresh bottom paint job and you don't have to sand. Normally two coats are adequate to cover. I used to spray the paint with a Preval sprayer, but now I brush it on without thinning.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
    A suggestion on the bottom paint. If the boat is a pure display model and won't be going into the water, I suggest that you try using acrylic flat house paint. I use Benjamin Moore tinted to match bottom paint. The results look just like a fresh bottom paint job and you don't have to sand. Normally two coats are adequate to cover. I used to spray the paint with a Preval sprayer, but now I brush it on without thinning.
    Do they sell small cans???

I can't speak about Benjamin Moore, but we just picked up three 8 oz Behr sample-size bottles from Home Depot last night for about $3 each.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Freeman View Post
    I can't speak about Benjamin Moore, but we just picked up three 8 oz Behr sample-size bottles from Home Depot last night for about $3 each.
    I will give it a try. Going to town tomorrow.

Photos of second color(topsides) having been applied.

Interesting choice of topside colour Donald. Mind sharing your thoughts on a dark topeside vs the traditional white for catboats and for modeling in particular? Also, any plans for a rub rail to make the sheer pop and any eye brow trim around the cabin top,where top meets the sides, for a similar reason?

Love your work and look forward to the finished model,spares and all.She's a beauty!

Cheers!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Dark topside colors are really good for liveaboard boats, it keeps the boat warmer inside in the winter.
    I saw a catboat photo online that had black topsides and it looked good to me.

I have to build the sliding hatch next before painting the cabin roof,deck and cabin sides.

True to Ted Brewer's plans I plan to have a brass trim piece around the cabin top and a wood rub rail strip at the hull deck join. Just like the Ted Brewer plans show.
    There will also a toe strip along the deck that keeps small things from rolling overboard.

Good point regarding live-aboards and the cold days of winter! Thanks Donald. After reading what you still have to do on the model,she is gong to be spectacular! Do you keep your models,sell them or give them away to museums? I love models and yours are very, very, nice!!

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

I like the dark topsides and can hardly wait to see her with the trim on. Most of the catboats I have seen are white with maybe buff or gray on decks or cabin top. I have a half model of a Jay Benford catboat that has dark green topsides with a splash of white along the sheer. It's another look that I like.

I wrote about your model on my blog if you care to have a look. I hope I was sufficiently kind.
    Sail, blog, eat, sleep:
    http://www.seawardadventures.com

Quote Originally Posted by P.L.Lenihan View Post
    Good point regarding live-aboards and the cold days of winter! Thanks Donald. After reading what you still have to do on the model,she is gong to be spectacular! Do you keep your models,sell them or give them away to museums? I love models and yours are very, very, nice!!

Cheers!

Peter
    Museums usually will not take a model because they have no storage space and no money. Even 10 years ago that was the situation. Sad.
    Most museums could show 3 or 4 times as many models - if they just had the space.
    So if you die and you have money give the money to a museum or hospital something like that.

I have sold most of my models. I needed the money.
    I wished I had all of the models I ever built but I have no space for them either.
    But I will not sell a model without a case because the model is just doomed to be destroyed.

Most of the hatch done and now I am working on the doors.
    It has doors instead of sliding hatch boards.

More paint and more wood work.
    It is going to get tougher now. Steering wheel must be made from scratch as no model boat fittings company makes a steering wheel the correct size.
    I do not own a lathe,but I do own a drill press and sandpaper.
    The trim will be added to the sheer as a rub rail. And to the cabin top.
    I lengthened the hatch just a little. Just so it would open a little further.
    Last edited by donald branscom; 10-15-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Getting better by the day! Love the wee doors for the companionway.Neat! The sliding hatch however appears to be huge relative to the companionway rails and the fore hatch. Is this how it looks on the plans too or do you still have to trim down the hatch sides? Also, when you paint, do you spray or use various small brushes?

Judging by the tools in the background, you've got yourself one cozy work place! Hope you don't mind the questions Donald.Your thread is one I like to check everyday or two.I'm enthralled.

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Very nice Donald. I too check this thread. Funny Peter mentioned the doors, I saw those immediately and was wanting a closer view of those!!! They look great. Don't you just love dremels/foredoms and the small bits. Do you use a micromotor at all? I can't believe how much detail you can add with one of those little buggers on the decoys I carve. I imagine uses for you on these as well. Looks great, I will keep on watching. I love catboats.

The hatch is a little longer than stock.
    The hatch rails are exactly to scale.
    Will check again.
    Ok ... I think you are right about that. I lowered the hatch and trimmed the side.
    Looks better.
    The stock hatch was much more complex.
    The side of the hatch is rabbited into the hatch rail.
    I cannot do that.
    Last edited by donald branscom; 10-15-2010 at 04:13 PM.

That was quick and amazing transformation! I did not intend my question to be a critique of your work Donald and hope you did not take offense.Working at such a small scale presents challenges I can only begin to imagine. Your obvious ability to work so well at such scales and to generate work-arounds for design elements otherwise near impossible to make at such a small scale, speaks most favourably to your talents and creativity. I envy you your talent!

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

That was quick and amazing transformation! I did not intend my question to be a critique of your work Donald and hope you did not take offense.Working at such a small scale presents challenges I can only begin to imagine. Your obvious ability to work so well at such scales and to generate work-arounds for design elements otherwise near impossible to make at such a small scale, speaks most favourably to your talents and creativity. I envy you your talent!

Cheers!

Peter
    In the back of my mind I thought the hatch looked a little large but i could not put my finger on what was causing it.
    What the viewers of this forum say matters a lot to me.
    I rechecked my measurements and looked over the drawings to see what I could do to improve the hatch looking lower. I found a solution.

I appreciate your input.

If you call me names that would be a different problem. LOL

You won't find hand rails on a $200 dollar model that look this good!
    A lot of work but they are really important on this boat since it has no life lines.

hand rail on $200 model shown below. Same size model 18 inches.
    Last edited by donald branscom; 10-16-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Toe rail and rub rail added.
    Secured with brass pins and epoxy.

Its raining today in northern California so I am stuck inside.
    Good thing I took a nice long ride on the bike yesterday.
    More progress on the model today.
    I got the cabin top trim installed. The plans called for brass but
    I tried it and did not like it. Went with the wood instead.

She's looking good Donald. How'd you do the hand rails to get them so precise?

BTW, we were in some tourist shops recently and saw lots of boat models. The string rigging really kills them regardless of how well the hulls were done.
    Steve B
    Sjogin IIIa
    PAYTON 13' Pea Pod

RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

Quote Originally Posted by SBrookman View Post
    She's looking good Donald. How'd you do the hand rails to get them so precise?

BTW, we were in some tourist shops recently and saw lots of boat models. The string rigging really kills them regardless of how well the hulls were done.
    Thanks for the compliment.
    The hand rails were done by starting out with a wide stick and using a circular Dremel sanding drum to make cut outs. Then using a #11 Exacto knife to finish the shape of the cut outs.
    I sanded the thickness down and sanded the width to a narrower size.
    I wanted to keep the stick thick in the beginning so it would not break while making the cut outs.
    I had to get them curved with water and microwave to the right curve before all the carving started.
    Then I sanded all the edges.

I agree about those cheap models.
    They look ok when about 20 feet away. Or from a distance on TV. They really bother me.
    But the scale is off on many parts too, and many parts are not there either. no toe rails etc.,.
    Some parts can be ommited just as an artist does not put in all the telephone poles in a painting, the model makebr /> does not put on the depth sounder, all the safety equipment etc.,. The artist just has to decide if the detail being added helps the model or just makes it like too many gems on the Gypsy. Know what I mean?

Just finished making the gudgeons and pintles from brass.
    A little touching up on the rudder paint.
    The rudder is made from Maple.
    I did not make the prop.
    now onto the tiller and straps that hold it to the rudder.
    At one point I had over one hour working on the top gudgeon and it fell on the floor and bounced.
    Could not find it for almost 1/2 hour! It drove me crazy but I had so much work into it that I did not want to start over.
    I knew it had to be there somewhere.

This level of detail work astounds me. How do you make a pintle or a gudgeon? Do you shape them out of flat or bar stock? What tools do you use?

Fascinating stuff Donald.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Armstrong View Post
    This level of detail work astounds me. How do you make a pintle or a gudgeon? Do you shape them out of flat or bar stock? What tools do you use?

Fascinating stuff Donald.

Ed
    For the top gudgeon I started with a piece of bar stock 1/4 X 1 inch.

First I drill the holes for the pintle pin, and the holes for the transom attachment.
    Then I make my cuts. I do as much shaping as possible with files while the part is still
    attached to the bar stock then I cut it off of the bar stock and do the final filing and sanding.
    The top gudgeon took about two hours.

Finished the tiller and straps.
    Tomorrow I will put in the pins. Too tired now.

So.....after the tiller and straps......is that when the Edson steering gear gets done? Amazing work, once again, and I have to say the more I follow this thread the more I see models in my future! An excellent inspiration Donald!

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

So.....after the tiller and straps......is that when the Edson steering gear gets done? Amazing work, once again, and I have to say the more I follow this thread the more I see models in my future! An excellent inspiration Donald!

Cheers!

Peter
    The Edson steering gear is inside. LOL

I appreciate your interest in my model.
    Models can be just as fun as a real boat.
    The beauty is that you can it have your house and it is great winter time entertainment.

Thanks for the explanation on the gudgeon. For the pintle, do you make the strap and then bend it around the pin? I don't want you to give away all your secrets, but I'm fascinated by the details, particularly in making small metal parts.

Ed

Yes, I make the strap and then I fold the strap in half.
    I put the pin in the fold and use needle nose pliers to force the pin into the fold.
    Then I solder the pin being careful not to put too much solder. Just enough to secure the pin

Finished the straps on the tiller.
    Now just a little touch up here and there.

Right now I am making the mast.
    Here is how to do it.
    Buy a wood dowel from the hardware store.
    Plane it and sand it to shape.
    Then paint it with thinned down black paint.
    Next rub it with brown shoe polish to the desired darkness.
    Put a coat of BIN clear primer sealer on it.
    After it is dry, I paint the top couple inches of the mast with white paint.

IMPORTANT:
    From this point on in the model making process put a towel over the model and keep it on at all times because while you are working on the rigging if you drop a tool or paint brush it will protect the hull from getting damage and dust until you can put it in a display case.