Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Design Challenge III

Default Re: Design Challenge III

The rules said "the boat must have... the ability to sail to windward in a gale (34–47 knots)."

Somehow, "ability to get off a lee shore under sail or other power" is not the same thing.

I'm all for challenges that inspire creative solutions but surely this is just a case of mistaken wording? If 'sail to windward in a gale' can actually be interpreted as 'bung on a 50hp outboard and blast out of trouble' I would feel pretty aggrieved when I turn up with an exquisitely designed low freeboard, clean rigged, beating machine and lose to a Macgregor 26.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Cramer View Post
    We love "stirring up." Thanks for all your great comments and questions.

My approach -- if I were an applicant -- would be to view this as "ability to get off a lee shore under sail or other power."

Don't agonize: create.

And I'm not being authoritative here; just my interpretation.

Thanks. I can't WAIT to see your imaginative submissions. I think this is a great challenge. And: It has the scope to bring out the best you can throw at it.

Carl

Out of curiosity, have any of the other commenters here actually attempted to sail to windward in winds over 40 knots?

The closest I came was when sailing to shelter through the fringes of a hurricane in 1979, in a Wharram Tane. I sailed downwind and then, for a few minutes, sailed on a beam reach to the hurricane hole entrance. I was lucky, there was land fairly close to windward, but I still tore the clew on a double-reefed main.

I really can't imagine how bad it might have been in big seas.

Yep, see posts 71 and 72.

Quote Originally Posted by slidercat View Post
    Out of curiosity, have any of the other commenters here actually attempted to sail to windward in winds over 40 knots?

The closest I came was when sailing to shelter through the fringes of a hurricane in 1979, in a Wharram Tane. I sailed downwind and then, for a few minutes, sailed on a beam reach to the hurricane hole entrance. I was lucky, there was land fairly close to windward, but I still tore the clew on a double-reefed main.

I really can't imagine how bad it might have been in big seas.

Yes I have Raced to weather in 60 knot gusts 50knts steady on the La Paz race on a Contesa 35 called "Black Magic" out of San Francisco. That was in the 80's and all but 3 boats retired from the race. Survival and good speed was all the quality of the drivers as when punching through wave tops one has to steer to lay the boat back down without a bang lest the mast be out of colum and break. We had the main tear away from its luff tape, storm jib shred and finished the race under a #3. I slept 18 hours at finish.
    I am most interested in the design contest, I think its possible to design a boat that is large enough to tow around instead of an airstream yet can definately perform.
    I think a larger hull form has more inherit stability, and was thinking a hard chined "Snipe type" bottom with a high bow and graceful sheer- yet enough sail power to over come "stickyness" in light air, but will also surf off the wind in good hands. Ketch-with perhaps a small jib on a small bow sprit-with an extendable pole for an asometric spinnaker/genniker.
    A low center of effort-with many sail combos.
    I would like to build this type design-I cant design it myself-so look forward to the results.
    I have more ideas of what I would like-I hope designers will read my wish list.

I am new to this forum and someone has marked "design" on my answer to Clarkey's question of "has anybody sailed in wind"
    Who did this and why?? let me know how to respond in type.
    Thank you,
    Colby

Someone says something about your designs? No one is drawing? We're all top-secret mode?

My entry was a harry proa, buildable in either foam/glass or ply.
    LOA:35’
    BOA: 20’
    Sail Area: 514 sq’
    Empty Weight: 794 lbs
    Water draft: 4”-5’9”
    Air Draft 39’8”
    Bruce # (empty): 2.5

20 minutes trailer to sailing, very easy build method (360 hours for pros, up to double that for amateurs). Materials cost: $16,000
    Building starts for two of them in the new year. Any comments or questions appreciated.

Drawings, spreadsheet, description and how it fulfills the competition requirements are at: http://tinyurl.com/bwvvvqu

or email me at harryproa@gmail.com and I will send them.

rob

Quote Originally Posted by rob denney View Post
    My entry was a harry proa, buildable in either foam/glass or ply.
    LOA:35’
    BOA: 20’
    Sail Area: 514 sq’
    Empty Weight: 794 lbs
    Water draft: 4”-5’9”
    Air Draft 39’8”
    Bruce # (empty): 2.5

20 minutes trailer to sailing, very easy build method (360 hours for pros, up to double that for amateurs). Materials cost: $16,000
    Building starts for two of them in the new year. Any comments or questions appreciated.

Drawings, spreadsheet, description and how it fulfills the competition requirements are at: http://tinyurl.com/bwvvvqu

or email me at harryproa@gmail.com and I will send them.

rob
    Can you please just post the photo? I do not want to join anymore "friends"
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

I know how you feel!. Unfortunately, the drawings, explanation and spread sheet are all too large for this forum. Let me know an email address and I will forward them to you directly. And then I will destroy your email address. ;-)

rob

I uploaded some brief of our SG860 design (submitted to DC III) in our blog: http://albatrossdesign.livejournal.com/5040.html
    Attached Images Attached Images