Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 444535455 LastLast
Results 1,856 to 1,890 of 1922

Thread: I like bicycles.

Default Re: I like bicycles.

Our 1977 Tom Ritchey.

New Paint.jpg

Tom built this frame in his mom's garage. When I picked it up there was a stack of unpainted weird looking frames in the corner of his shop. These were Tom's first big order of mountain bike frames. We all thought he was nuts for making such silly looking bicycles.

Munster-2 - RESIZED.jpg

A few years ago I bought a Ritchey BreakAway frame, which fits into a hard case that can be checked as standard luggage. I used to travel a lot for work and would take this bike along for some exercise. This photo was taken on the streets of Munster Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Higgins.94301 View Post
    A few years ago I bought a Ritchey BreakAway frame, which fits into a hard case that can be checked as standard luggage. I used to travel a lot for work and would take this bike along for some exercise. This photo was taken on the streets of Munster Germany.
    BQ has been advocating the Japanese rinko packing methods for standard frames (required for the trains over there). Without using any frame couplers, the bike can be packed in a pretty compact package by making the steerer easy to take apart and any rear fender split into two parts. I did this with my new Fitz, it goes from this:

to this:

in 15 minutes and with two Allen wrenches. I need to get a case that fits, and take it on some trips.

These two photos show my bike in its case. I set this bike up with a fixed gear in order to simplify the assembly process. I can assemble or disassemble this bike in around 20 minutes. When travelling I usually did short rides so not having a derailleur was not important.

Bike Case.jpg

^ nice, that packs as small as the wheels. Mine's bigger since the frame stays full size (and it's a big frame). I need to get some of that pipe insulation.

A friend of mine use to take his bike to Switzerland every summer to ride in the Alps. His approach to packing his bike was to rotate the handle bars, lower the seat, reverse the pedals in the cranks, remove the wheels and tie them on opposite sides of the frame. His only real concession to protecting his bike was to place spare axles in the forks and rear dropouts. He would hand this assembly, with no box, to the luggage handlers. Sometimes they would insist on putting it in a clear plastic bag. His philosophy was that they would always put this fragile looking mess on top of the pile. It always arrived intact, with no problems.

Beyond the Road Closed sign.jpg

I always took the opposite approach. The photo below shows the boxes I made to ship our triple to Switzerland. It took a long time to reassemble that monster, as you might guess from the bored look on the face of my time-zone-zapped daughter.

DSC00242.jpg

Good pics Mike, Before Specialized came out with the Stumpjumper we had a few Ritchey/Fisher bikes in the shop in Mendocino. They were definitely down hill sleds.

Serious bike box there. Good looking bikes.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

That Co-Motion triple was a lot of fun. A stiff frame is required for tandems that are ridden in the hills. The Banana Slug, as we called it, lacked that characteristic. However, on easy climbs and flat terrain it would move right along. Eventually we lost our third rider when she moved East for school, so we sold it in order to solve the storage problem it created. Still that bike was the source of a lot of great family memories.

Seelisberg.jpg

[IMG][/IMG]

Back in the saddle, started doing some very short rides last Sunday, this is my second day of the week riding to work. I still need to get the bottle holder on, the folding basket and lock holder.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.

Switters, take it easy. What’s the blue bike again?

Swobo Fillmore.

I don't know if I posted this when I took the photo.... but sorting through my old pics, there's this copy of a Brooks saddle. Checking it out, I found an almost identical one from 1915. The only difference was that the Brooks name was where this one says "Special" and some slots in the seat on the original - which is here

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/1915-2/...rame-roadster/

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

[IMG][/IMG]

Matching 1969/70 Schwinns that the significant otter got from her grandparents estate, bought new from a local bike shop in town that is surprisingly still in business. The only thing left to add will be bottle generators and lights, and bells, which are on order. It was her idea to go with bottle gens. Picture taken at Kentucky Derby party, and I'm not responsible for the filter/effects or what ever. We left the patina on the bikes as they are now stored indoors and just cleaned up the chrome and redid bearings, chains, brake pads, tires etc. Her breezer delux has been done a few years, this was the debut for the racer delux.

The bikes ride great, but the old blanket saddles need some rework. I'll get some pictures of just the bikes up when I get the lights on so you dont have to see what happens to middle aged who still think they are 14.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I don't know if I posted this when I took the photo.... but sorting through my old pics, there's this copy of a Brooks saddle. Checking it out, I found an almost identical one from 1915. The only difference was that the Brooks name was where this one says "Special" and some slots in the seat on the original - which is here

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/1915-2/...rame-roadster/

35 yrs ago a similar Brooks cost about $85

$200

Stelvio copy.jpg

Just another pop-out mid-range CX bike, but we've done a lot of things together. She's done a few years of commuting and utility cycling, a round of the national CX series, short touring trips in Oz and Europe with my wife, and climbed Stelvio, Gavia twice, Col du Telegraph, most of Galibier (met a storm halfway up), the Lacets de Montvernier (sp), St Croix de Fer, Alpe d'Huez, and Glandon, many of them loaded with touring kit.

Due to racing accidents, upgrades, optimising for touring with big climbs and an incident with an Italian motor scooter, it's had three wheelsets, two clusters, two handlebars, three chainrings, two stems, three or four saddles, two seatposts, two Rds and two FDs, two sets of brakes and errr, one replacement frame - but it's still the same old faithful bike, dammit!

Chris, has that low spoke count rear wheel held up ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Stelvio copy.jpg

Just another pop-out mid-range CX bike, but we've done a lot of things together. She's done a few years of commuting and utility cycling, a round of the national CX series, short touring trips in Oz and Europe with my wife, and climbed Stelvio, Gavia twice, Col du Telegraph, most of Galibier (met a storm halfway up), the Lacets de Montvernier (sp), St Croix de Fer, Alpe d'Huez, and Glandon, many of them loaded with touring kit.

Due to racing accidents, upgrades, optimising for touring with big climbs and an incident with an Italian motor scooter, it's had three wheelsets, two clusters, two handlebars, three chainrings, two stems, three or four saddles, two seatposts, two Rds and two FDs, two sets of brakes and errr, one replacement frame - but it's still the same old faithful bike, dammit!
    Great photo. Which side of the Stelvio did you climb? Back in 1984, long before digital cameras, we climbed up from Bormio, took a photo and then descended into Switzerland on the Umbrail Pass, which wasn't paved in those days. We never did the Gavia, but I understand that it is a dramatic climb.

Umbrail Pass.jpg

Jean and I have enjoyed a lot of miles on our bike, going through 5 front forks, several rear axles and countless spokes.

Nearby Highway 12 through Jameson Canyon has recently been renovated, including a wide bike lane with rumble strip separators. Now I have an easy ride to downtown Napa, but made a loop of it today going back over the hills.

New route:

Wooden Valley overlook:

I'm riding with flat bars and platform pedals these days, shoes are Crocs loafers. Just nice to get outside.

That looks like a nice loop. The wildflowers are looking good year here in Northern California.

Riding bike is one of my favorite. I want to ride the bike on my campus. I see their lot of rider on my college campus. I have to buy a bicycle. Which type of bicycle will better for me? My friend says hybrid is the best choice for women in road riding.
    I prefer to buy a mountain bike! Can I ride a mountain bike in the city or the mountain bike is only for riding on the trail? If I want to use a bike in both trail area and city area, is there is any bike for me?

Before suggesting me anything keep in mind that I am a newbie. I donít have any idea. I can easily search on Google to find what is best? But I want to get a real life Suggestion from you guys. I think that will give me a real idea of choosing my next bicycle.

What is your experience with biking? Does it help you to keep yourself slim? If I ask why you like to ride a bike? What will your answer? Thanks in advance for responding me. I will back soon to see your response. Take care yourself and keep riding safely.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Chris, has that low spoke count rear wheel held up ok?
    Yep, it held up fine until it got hit by the motor scooter. It's very similar to their branded CX wheel with sealed bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Higgins.94301 View Post
    Great photo. Which side of the Stelvio did you climb? Back in 1984, long before digital cameras, we climbed up from Bormio, took a photo and then descended into Switzerland on the Umbrail Pass, which wasn't paved in those days. We never did the Gavia, but I understand that it is a dramatic climb.

Umbrail Pass.jpg

Jean and I have enjoyed a lot of miles on our bike, going through 5 front forks, several rear axles and countless spokes.
    I came up the other side, up the 48 (?) hairpins and descended exhausted into the freezing mist, almost hypothermic. In Bormio it was sunny and full of tourists going fashion shopping; such a contrast.

Cheers

The Gavia is an absolutely beautiful climb, although the first 10ks or so up the northern side is a bit monotonous - especially in freezing rain and darkness after doing the Stelvio. Up the top the next morning it was like this;

View of Lago Nero.jpg

One of the fantastic things about these rides is that on the long uphill grind you get time to see the mountains in all their glory, and to feel their height and power as you push the gravity. And once over the top, it's a flt-out screaming 70kmh descent through the hairpins, a sudden and exhilarating drop into a new country - sometimes literally. The contrast between the climb and the headlong rush downhill is not to be missed.

There's a great video of this descent here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZihFxrFois

This is a little bar converted from stone huts, perched on a tilted meadow half way up the Gavia. The water for the cafe/bar runs from the glacier. You sit there and eat and drink, listening to the cowbells coming across the clear air of the chasm between you and the pastures on the far mountain.

Cafe on Gavia.jpg

The Gavia was so lovely that the next morning I rode back up, on the beautiful south-eastern road. If you're particularly silly, when you are at the bottom of the 17km of 8% climb you may meet some Italians who race Original Windsurfers, like you do, who are on their way to a regatta in Switzerland. You may then end up chasing them up the mountain to go windsurfing in a glacier lake atop one of Europe's highest passes. Even those who are stupid enough to try some freestyle tricks must take care, because a 17km high-speed descent from 2700 metres would be no fun at all in wet bike shorts.

Glacier lake freestyle.jpg
    Last edited by Chris249; 05-16-2018 at 03:52 PM.

I envy your rides on the Gavia but my wife didn't enjoy climbing on dirt surfaces. You are right about the joy of climbing in the Alps. The scenery is more than enough to distract your mind from the effort. This photo was taken above Rosenlaui on the climb over the Grosse Scheidegg. This beautiful road has the added feature of no auto traffic, except for locals and the postal buses with their great horns.

Wetterhorn - CROPPED RESIZED.jpg

What year did you ride in the Alps? Except for the trip with the triple in 2004, our last cycling trip to Europe was in 1991.

"Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Last Thursday, I saw a bike on a bike rack behind an automobile. It was a lugged steel road bike labeled Specialized. I don't remember the model name. Were those built in somewhere like Japan and imported to the US or were they built here like the early Treks and Paramounts.

IMG20181012125650.jpg

Steve Peat's downhill bike. I'm told it's a bike he won the world championship on, but I can't verify that at the moment. I'm wondering if he won the international event here on it. It came with the pub. I just moved it to a better location in the cafe
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    IMG20181012125650.jpg

Steve Peat's downhill bike. I'm told it's a bike he won the world championship on, but I can't verify that at the moment. I'm wondering if he won the international event here on it. It came with the pub. I just moved it to a better location in the cafe
    It may well be the bike he won on.

These bikes are two generations after me. Technological generations. The VPP changed rear suspension for the better.
    Iíve ridden this gen of bike, in fact a nearly identical Santa Cruz (Easton wheels). That is a fine machine. These new bikes feel so planted at speed. The ability to sit and pedal is just mind blowing. And they jump well.

I mean, I heard. I only rode around in the parking lot. Very slowly, with both tires on the ground.

Honest.

Peace,
    Chair Lifts Rule...

Custom built titanium from a local fellow.

Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    Custom built titanium from a local fellow.

Oh.

Large concrete wall used to make a river into a lake! With an ďnĒ added!

Love. Lee.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
    Wow! That's great. We have only been riding tandems together for 49 years. I love videos like this.

49 years.jpg

So I was getting ready to order my new MTB online and thought I better do the due diligence thing and make sure there wasn't anything available locally that was of similar spec and price. There was one chain of bike stores advertising a Kona that looked jkind of interesting, and they have a branch 2 blocks from the office, so I popped down at lunchtime.

I didn't like the Kona so much, but then there was a Marin that looked the part, but was much lower spec. However, the higher spec model was due in to the store in 2 weeks time (about the same as it would take to receive my online order). It's the same price as the Vitus I was going to get, but without the added costs of customs GST and MAF clearance (added about $450 NZ to my gravel bike). The Marin is slightly more aggressive in it's geometry, and trades XT for SLX on the groupset, but the forks are the same and the rest of the kit is equivalent. I watched a few videos last night of Matt Jones shredding it, and thought, that's it, I'll get the Marin.

This morning I open my email to find the online company is offering me 20% loyalty discount for this week only. So yesterday I was looking at a $500 cheaper bike with an XT - SLX downgrade, now I'm looking at a $250 cheaper bike with the same downgrade.

Why is it so hard to just choose a bike?

http://vitusbikes.com/products/vitus...-mountain-bike

https://www.marinbikes.com/ww/bikes/...-san-quentin-3
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'