Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2341353 ... LastLast

Thread: I like bicycles.

Default Re: I like bicycles.

My daughters wintered in Hokaido and brought back great tales of attempted bike riding on icey roads ! It's not a skill many Australians have mastered .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harrow View Post
    Directed at me, LOL. I'll give you ten, maybe even 15 in a pinch.
    No, Ed, it was directed more at me. I could stand to loose a few pounds.

My bike is a big old steel behemoth, big fat tires, and set up for touring. SWMBO has a Specialized Ruby, carbon fiber with good components, and you can really feel the weight difference. I am embarrassed to say that she is in better shape than I am, but when she drops me, I blame it on the weight penalty of the bike.

But it all works out in the wash, I can change a flat better than she. Yesterday, we tried one of those CO2 cartridges to inflate the tire. I had never used one before and it worked pretty well. Even though it did not inflate the tire rock hard, it was enough to get us home. Probably lighter than carrying a pump for all of the weightweenies out there, too.
    Steve Martinsen

when I first got into road racing and training with the local racers I tried the weight weenie thing and clued in very quickly that the guys sprinting to the county signs and flying up hills way ahead of me simply had bigger motors and higher pain thresholds to get those motors that big.

Default Re: I really, really like bicycles.

High-tech or low......they're just cool.

The Zambulance.

And in other news, my utility bike is nearly finished......the 'crack' was declared a small gouge by a local welder and as he looks at metal all day long I took his word for it.
    We don't know how lucky we are....

I wandered into my local bike shop the other day ,a pleasant one ...the kind of bloke who says 'you don't need that one , this one is cheaper and just as good ' .
    My old mountain bike is in it's 25th year and looking a bit tatty .

It looks OK in this photo but there's a lot of paint off and a bit too much rusted chrome .I still really like her and can't bring myself to buy another , she fits and I'm comfortable with her .SOOO , time for a facelift , newpaint and a bit of new chrome jewelry .My bike shop bloke will strip her down to a bare frame then reassemble her for $100 .I'm emarrassed to admit my incompetence when it comes to bike mechanics .I don't own the right tools ....at least that's my excuse !
    Grateful Dead

Peter, that's a good deal for an overhaul and worth doing for such a reliable beast. There's gotta be someone in Oz making the equivalent of these:
    I've been using one on a 26" wheeled touring bike with a long head tube, don't think it'll fit that great on your bike but I've found it's a very convenient place to carry a coil lock, phone and stuff safe and out of the way.

Horribly trad, I'm afraid; I ride an elderly Mercian with downtube shifters and of course the obligatory Brooks saddle and Nelson longflap saddle bag.

It is however the bike that I like best of all the bikes I have had. I "cannot get on with" quickfire shifters.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

What is a quick fire shifter ?
    Grateful Dead

Click shifter or twist grip; mountain bike type, or bar end type on current road bikes.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Mine's a click shifter that moves soggily into position ,perhaps it 'clicked' once !
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    What is a quick fire shifter ?
    two levers mounted inboard and above your brake levers. push one and the gears click up , push the other and the gears click down. Nearly all derailleur systems have indexed shifting now. click,shift,click,shift,click,shift. It eliminated the effort people had to go through to hunt for the right placement of the derailleur. I'm guessing folks needed to use their ears for listening to music in their headphones than whether they were in gear.

I guess I do it automatically ,I've been changing those gears for a long time .
    Grateful Dead

Bicycles - not just for humans.

Just wanted to drop and add very little.

I was at the bike shop the other day, just wondering in, and looked at their bikes. Now don't ask me any of the brands cause I'm not that much in to that type of bike. But I did notice the price. Now most of the times I'm looking at bikes (which is not that much) I'm at Wally World or something like that where the bikes are usually around $100. Now I know those are POS bikes and I truely understand the whys of this. But anyway I was a bit shocked at the prices in the bike shop. It didn't really suprise me that the cheapest bikes they has were around the $500 range, but what was a suprise was the bikes in there climbe well over the $3,000 price point.

Chad
    There are three ways to do things: The right way, the wrong way and my way.

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

Chad, if you have someone earning $50,000/yr and they're an amateur athlete who rides hard 10-20hrs / week then $3000 is no more a surprise than the same guy who has a $10,000 motorcycle or $5000 aluminum fishing boat and uses it 5hrs a month. Some people buy $1500 flat tv screens, some buy $1500 road bikes. There's a generation of cyclists who got a "nice road bike" in their 20's then upgraded as their income went up in their 30's. The triathlete and adventure racers opened up another niche in high end bikes.
    It would be interesting to see the range and sales trends for exercise machines.

Last weekend I stripped my 1970s vintage Raleigh Super Course down to a bare frame, stripped the paint off, and started repainting it. I even took the headbadge off and took out the headset. So far, I've primed it with rust converter, regular primer, and painted it a dark green. This weekend I'll spray it with a clear coat and then start putting it back together. All Rustoleum products from the hardware store.

I've got my eye on a new headbadge on e-bay.

I repainted it back in the 1980s, and in restrospect I probably should have just left the factory paint alone. In the mean time, I am riding my dad's old Bianci 10 speed.

Brian

Chad, that's not even close to the top. I've been thinking about a new high end ride, and I like the bikes from Seven Cycles. They do some nice work in Titanium and Carbon Fibre. This link is the one that I'm looking at, I'd outfit it with Dura Ace.
    http://sevencycles.com/road/elium_sl.php
    O
    --------(\ ----------
    ~ (\ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ (\ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I have a pair of stainless steel fold up daHon Mariners....I am lucky to get 2 blocks before I have to stop to get my breath......the post office is 3 blocks or so away where I can drop mail....but gotta go farther to post something....total extent of my bike riding. I looked at the last price of those turkey's the other day....they stopped making them when the price climbed over 700 bucks figuring no one could afford them. Mine are "modernized" with Mickey Mouse bells on them.
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Quote Originally Posted by cs View Post
    Just wanted to drop and add very little.

I was at the bike shop the other day, just wondering in, and looked at their bikes. Now don't ask me any of the brands cause I'm not that much in to that type of bike. But I did notice the price. Now most of the times I'm looking at bikes (which is not that much) I'm at Wally World or something like that where the bikes are usually around $100. Now I know those are POS bikes and I truely understand the whys of this. But anyway I was a bit shocked at the prices in the bike shop. It didn't really suprise me that the cheapest bikes they has were around the $500 range, but what was a suprise was the bikes in there climbe well over the $3,000 price point.

Chad
    Chad ,
    my bike , the one in the photo above woud be about A$800 in today's money .Of course the technology has changed a lot in 25 years but that bike has done thousands of dirt road miles and has received very little maintainence and no new parts at all except tires .It was expensive but extremely well made and durable .Well worth the money for me .
    Grateful Dead

is there a waiting period for buying a bicycle?

(just thought I'd try hijacking a thread like was done to mine the other day)

The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Mine's a click shifter that moves soggily into position ,perhaps it 'clicked' once !
    Indexed shifter.....fine for the type of riding you do....rapid fire are good for trail and excellent for traffic-light sprints.
    You should still be able to get replacement index shifters.

The best performance upgrades for that bike Peter would be a set of 'V' brakes and a better bike-pump.
    And I'd think twice about the brakes, if the center-pulls are doing the job for you, stick with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Allen View Post
    is there a waiting period for buying a bicycle?

(just thought I'd try hijacking a thread like was done to mine the other day)

There is no waiting period (unless you're a kid and then it's up to Santa) but everybody thinks locks for bikes are a good idea.

You will believe a bicycle can fly.......mono-rail.

Default Re: I really, really like bicycles.

Quote Originally Posted by seanz View Post
    High-tech or low......they're just cool.
    The Zambulance.
    and their bamboo bike looks neat too!
    "I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible that you may be mistaken." (stolen from TomF )

I'm glad you're going to keep yours in a safe Phil ,but I recommend you buying one and doing 10 miles a day .......to start with .

Sean , yep ,everything works well .I'd like discs but don't need them ! She's steel and heavy of course but that has meant unbreakable .
    Grateful Dead

I think the South started the Civil war.

Australia started the civil war , don't you know nuttin ?
    Grateful Dead

LIES, DAMNED LIES! Friggin' Yankees started the War of Northrun' Agression.....
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

It was one of the Kennedys......I forget which one.

Australia started the civil war , don't you know nuttin ?

I see , So you Admit it?

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    LIES, DAMNED LIES! Friggin' Yankees started the War of Northrun' Agression.....

I stand corrected.

Just to be safe i tried never to venture south of Hackensack for fear of being captured by Johnny Reb.

Quote Originally Posted by Donn View Post
    Bush started it.

Baastard!

Quote Originally Posted by seanz View Post
    It was one of the Kennedys......I forget which one.

After the Ted Kennedy thread i will make no joke as Joe will come back with Laurie Bush.

That wasn't a bike that those Kennedys were riding.

I gave the kids old bikes(Three of them) away to a guy who fixes them up and gives them away to other kids.
    While I was there, I complained that my kids were riding our bikes cuz the giveaways were too small for them.
    "Would you want that one?",he said pointing a spiffy aluminum Giant 890(?).It's 20 years old,but really nice and fits me perfectly.
    "Sure,how much?"
    "Even trade.I got a new one and don't ride that one at all.It's yours if you want it."
    "Trade? I GAVE you those other bikes."
    "Trade only."
    "Done."
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.