Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 1231252 ... LastLast

Thread: I like bicycles.

Default Re: I like bicycles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harrow View Post
    The mountain bike my neighbor gave me came, 100%, from the trash behind Landry's Cycle. He makes it a point to wander by the back side of the store on a regular basis - finds something 'fixable' (he's not a bike mechanic, so we're talking parts swapping), fixes it up and gives it away. He and I are both just sub 6' and his bike and the one he gave me are both 'good' fits.
    Not to get in a p-match, but I'm 6'3" and even with a 25 inch frame, I've got 4 inches of seat post showing. I agree, just under 6 ft, and the ground is practically littered with bikes that are a good fit.

Cheers,

Brian

I'm a luddite, I guess. I've stood my Dawes up on its front wheel with nothing more than the original Weinmann centerpulls. (Yes, it was a long, long time ago. ) I'd be curious to know the weight differential between a rim-brake wheel and a disc-brake wheel (all other things being as equal as possible), rotating weight being so significant.
    I looked it up, anywhere from 150 to 350 grams, so half pound to three-quarters. I use rim on my road bike.
    It will all be OK in the end...so if it's not OK, you're not at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    My weirder tastes involve recumbents but I'd be scared to ride one on our roads .The locals are quite likely to just drive right over the top .http://www.bobmccutcheon.com/HPV/
    Hey Peter, I find I am more visible, or noticed, when riding a recumbent. The trike gets the most notice and respect from vehicles and is the lowest to the ground, probably because it is so weird looking. I do have lots of lights, a flag, use my mirrors religiously and don't get into right of way duels with the cage drivers. Oh, all my bikes are steel frames. Cushy ride and easier to weld if required.

Earl
    "Always keep an edge on your knife,son..."

I have a pair of the folding DaHon stainless steel bikes.....I had considered removing the front steering assembly from them, making a bracket to pair the two rear bodies, add a little pickup body aft and a nice comfy "chair", then use one of the front ends for steering, then add a motor and battery to make an electric tricycle to make it to the grocery store/post office...unfortunately, Maryland considers 3 wheeled whatzits motorcycles.
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Quote Originally Posted by Y Bar Ranch View Post
    I looked it up, anywhere from 150 to 350 grams, so half pound to three-quarters. I use rim on my road bike.
    That, at 350 grams, is over a 40% weight penalty! I don't have a scale with which I could weigh one of my wheels, so I used a weight I got of the internet (It must be correct, LOL) of 841 Gr.

I remember having to road test some sort of green flat-proof stuff that was pumped into bike tire tubes. The bike wouldn't accelerate, worse it wouldn't STOP! I have no recollection of the weight penalty in that case.
    "Congress doesn't regulate Wall Street, Wall Street regulates Congress."

MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants

I LOVE bikes! I was in the biz for 20 + years, first with a shop with my brother in law and then after a good long run I repped for several bike related companies. I still ride 3 or 4 times a week. I currently have a 1948 Raleigh Sports 3-speed, a 1963 Schwinn Corvette 3 speed cruiser, a Gitane Interclub converted to fixed, a Confente built Masi, a 1975 Raleigh Sports 3 speed, a custom built Sport Touring bike from a handbuilder in Iowa named Jeffrey Bock, a custom road racing bike from the Reparto Corse of Bianchi, a Bianchi Axis 'cross bike, a Bike Friday travel bike and a Cannondale F400 mountain bike. All steel except the last one. The feeeling of a good ride is hard to duplicate. You can sense your surroundings at a heightened level, and more people should get out of their caars and ride!
    O
    --------(\ ----------
    ~ (\ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ (\ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I love bicycling. But I'm purely a roadie. It's not that I don't like off road stuff. I've just never tried it. I ride a Cannondale Synapse. It's just about the perfect road bike for me. Slightly relaxed geometry and the carbon is stiff but very comfortable.

This summer we bought a pair of Breezer folding bikes with 20" wheels to take cruising. I'm amazed at how enjoyable they are and easy to stow.

I wrecked my knee when I was in my 20s and couldn't ride for 25 years when I finally found a good surgeon.

With plastic pipes in both arms and a smashed up back and questionable legs....I ain't a gonna go far, but would like to leave the house and electric scoot to the P.O. and grocery store without needing a driver. We have new "trails" for bikes, ready for use at city expense.
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Mr Chuck, I think you need to just electrify a bike and put training wheels on it. Surely to Crom training wheels aren't gonna draw the wrath of the law. If they do, maybe you could try claiming that you're just now learning to ride....

That, at 350 grams, is over a 40% weight penalty! I don't have a scale with which I could weigh one of my wheels, so I used a weight I got of the internet (It must be correct, LOL) of 841 Gr.

I remember having to road test some sort of green flat-proof stuff that was pumped into bike tire tubes. The bike wouldn't accelerate, worse it wouldn't STOP! I have no recollection of the weight penalty in that case.
    That's the total weight increase, not the increase in the wheel. Most of the weight increase is in the non-moving calipers. The disc is light. Also, the weight is essentially on the axle, so you're not getting hit with any real increase in moment of inertia of the wheel. That's what is going to make the wheel hard to spin up and hard to slow down.
    It will all be OK in the end...so if it's not OK, you're not at the end.

You like bikes, eh?

Well... ease your mind. I'm pretty sure they have a 12-spoke program for that. (or maybe it's a 12-tooth program) <G>

Seriously, though - I like bikes, too - though I don't ride nearly as much as I used to. Haven't upgraded since my wife and I got matching Gary Fisher "Tassajara's". We towed our kids and did our shopping with a Burley bike trailer for many years. I was the general manager (actually the first-ever g.m.) of Burley when we brought out the trailers. Now it's the only product they still offer. I've thought about picking up one of their tandems used. Might get us out more, eh?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

your not alone

I like bikes! I "downshifted" to working as a bike mechanic, and now consult and do specialized work from home. Just finished building a carbon wheelset for the track and custom-tuning a rear shock for downhill use.
    I am seriously under-biked at the moment - only one! Custom titanium hardtail Mtb "Trail" bike.... But now the docs are letting me train again, I have started a new fixie/commute/training bike with a classic Vitus 979 frame. If all goes well I will start the design for my track bike later in the autumn for training in the spring. I should also pick up a new road bike from the same guy, but that will be a stock frame, just for training and crits. I doubt I will do any mtb racing in the near future, but you never know. If I do it will be a custom titanium hardtail with good compliance in the rear triangle - or maybe it is time to realize that full-susser that has been on the drawing-board for so long.
    I have had the opportunity, over the years, to ride anything I want: I still lust after a F.Moser frame I sold a few years ago.

I get a kick out of those who fret about a gram or two here or there in the weight of their bikes, yet could stand to loose twenty pounds, or more, of paunch.

54 miles today in the gusty aftermath of Earl. We headed out into the wind, but coming back was a breeze.
    Steve Martinsen

I've got a fever for.... MORE TAILWIND!!

Let me tell you about what happens when you take dozens of pounds off the rider. It's pretty amazing. I was doing hill returns with some time-trialers a week or so ago; they could not believe that this middle-aged guy with a (small, now) spare tire on a full-fendered steel bike could hang with them on the climbs (I didn't tell them about the majick of half-step gearing; that's my little secret). They went from amused doubt to a kind of awe. It was pretty gratifying.

Quote Originally Posted by SMARTINSEN View Post
    I get a kick out of those who fret about a gram or two here or there in the weight of their bikes, yet could stand to loose twenty pounds, or more, of paunch.

Directed at me, LOL. I'll give you ten, maybe even 15 in a pinch.

I don't really fret about the gram or two, I just don't understand the benies of 'disc' brakes on a bicycle. A rim brake is elegant in simplicity, the braking forces, I think, don't stress either the fork nor the spokes as much as a brake on the hub. Hell, I road a fixed gear, with no brakes, for a number of years - way fun. Ya, stopping was a challenge
    "Congress doesn't regulate Wall Street, Wall Street regulates Congress."

MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants

I love discs ! Elegant indeed !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Directed at me, LOL. I'll give you ten, maybe even 15 in a pinch.

I don't really fret about the gram or two, I just don't understand the benies of 'disc' brakes on a bicycle. A rim brake is elegant in simplicity, the braking forces, I think, don't stress either the fork nor the spokes as much as a brake on the hub. Hell, I road a fixed gear, with no brakes, for a number of years - way fun. Ya, stopping was a challenge
    For a bike primarily riding in good conditions on road, that is ok.... but we want more.
    Here is my list of why any bike that is not road-racing should have discs:
    1. More power! Power is not everything, but also control ( we call it modulation) is better, even in a cable-actuated disc brake.
    2. All weather performance. Disc brakes work much better than rim brakes in the wet. Lifting the braking surface from near the ground, to near the hub improves longevity and performance in wet/cold conditions.
    3. Safety! now that is a difficult one to justify... But, I do not feel that have a (the?) load-baring parts of the bike also part of the braking system is wise, for three reasons: Wear and tear - when the brake surface wears through on a rim, you have a catastrophic failure of the bike.
    Tires - anyone that has blown a tire off the rim because of heat build up during braking, will tell you why they ride discs. And that the bike is rideable even with a relatively bent rim - when you are 15 miles from a road and need to get back to civilization quickly this becomes an important safety issue.
    4. Weight. If weight is an issue, one can have lighter rims, because of the lack of braking surface, and thus less rotational mass.

The downsides are really only three: Harder to work on! Not really just different skills to learn. Weight! Not really any more: if you compare an XC Racing wheelset/brakes/levers for discs with the equivalent for rims... About the same. Frames/hubs etc. must be heavier to cope with the stresses - this was the case but most designers now understand how the stresses factor in IRW situations and can build light and strong bikes for discs.

From my own experience, I will say that I am faster XC racing with discs because I can brake later. The SSWorlds in Berlin had me losing 2 places per lap because I was being passed in the braking before sharp corners. General woods riding leaves me much more confident that I can stop - and therefore faster. On the road - Who does not want better brakes in traffic? The only reason I would not have them on a road-RACE bike is that the UCI does not allow them.
    Last edited by Dr.Spoke; 09-05-2010 at 12:38 AM.

I'm intrigued by disc brakes, but I see them as more of a gimmick than anything for a guy like me--a middle-aged (and overweight) rider who spends most of his time on the Katy trail plodding along at 10mph.

The good news? I almost decided to sell my road bikes this spring because I was too overweight and out of shape to be comfortable on them. Now, after a summer (a real HOT summer) of working out, I'm back on the road bikes and loving them more than ever.

There is a point where a person becomes too darned flabby to appreciate a light, responsive bike; I know this because I was that person. But after losing 40lbs (and getting my congestive heart failure under control) I'm finally able to notice the difference between my PX10 and my lighter, stiffer, more responsive Mondia.

The next 40lbs of weight loss will put me back into proper shape. It can only get better.

One other thing: I posted on another thread that my PX10 still had the original Huret-Simplex derailleurs front-and-back, in perfect working order. That changed today when the 40yr old plastic on the rear derailleur decided to explode in spectacular fashion on a ride.

Moral of the story...never brag about anything to Keith Wilson--he'll get you back sooner or later....

Jeff C

Just decided to do a weight comparison - as much for my own needs as to prove anything.
    Weights are taken from: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/ And are actual weights when they exist, not manufacturers quoted.
    For consistency I decided to take a "standard" system known for light weight - Shimano XTR - as this will allow comparison of like-with-like. Comparison will be the salient parts in a system, I will exclude rims and spokes and we can assume that these are the same ( even though the rim should be considered in the rim-brake system, it is often overlooked) - there are of course many lighter products in both disc and rim brakes on the market.

Shimano XTR 975
    Front hub: 144, Rear: 270, Caliper: 105 Disc 136 x 2 482g for the pair, Lever 167 = 1068g for the complete setup

Shimano XTR 960
    F Hub: 137, Rear: 315, Calipers 396, Lever: 170 = 1018g

I could not find reliable weights for cables vs. hoses and oil but it looks like 5% difference to me, and less than the weight of 4 titanium canti-posts on frame and fork.... QED the only reason not to have discs is that you are a progress hating conservative caveman! ( come on! this was the bilge last time I looked!)

There is another reason ...sloth !
    Grateful Dead

I'm totally stoked to get the new Shimano Alfine 11-speed internal-geared hub. It's a pretty far cry from the old Sturmeys, but not so far away, either; the basic engineering is the same. Early reports say it's 95% as good as the Rolhoff 14-speed, at a third the cost and half the weight. I'm very strongly considering getting a Salsa Fargo frame and building the most bullet-proof winter commuter bike I possibly can. Salsa Delgado Cross rims, maybe lace 'em 3 leading 3 trailing for a little bling, studded snow tires, and Robert is your mother's brother!

OK Capt , educate me .I know very little about anything except derailuers and fixed wheel .Why is the internal gearing a good thing ? Clean and oil filled I'd assume ? But is it so hard to maintain a derailuer ?
    Grateful Dead

I really like bicycles.....when the streets are all busted up from an earthquake they're a great way to get around.....did more cycling yesterday than I have in a long time.
    We don't know how lucky we are....

OK Capt , educate me .I know very little about anything except derailuers and fixed wheel .Why is the internal gearing a good thing ? Clean and oil filled I'd assume ? But is it so hard to maintain a derailuer ?
    If I may, Captain?
    Straight chain line, and "sealed" workings reduce wear on the drive train - so longer life, and reduced costs... Especially when the conditions are poor - winter. The problems come only when the weather is very cold, the grease/oil can become sluggish or freeze and make things a bit more difficult. I have only experienced this in -30C - but in those conditions a SS is probably the only thing that is going to work reliably.

Edit: Frozen cables occur in both system, and both are equally sensitive to the problem.

Yep ,I've riden one through metre deep floodwater ,just the seat and handlebars above water ,I don't think my car would perform as well .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Spoke View Post
    If I may, Captain?
    Straight chain line, and "sealed" workings reduce wear on the drive train - so longer life, and reduced costs... Especially when the conditions are poor - winter. The problems come only when the weather is very cold, the grease/oil can become sluggish or freeze and make things a bit more difficult. I have only experienced this in -30C - but in those conditions a SS is probably the only thing that is going to work reliably.

Edit: Frozen cables occur in both system, and both are equally sensitive to the problem.
    -30 C !!!! OK , I see the point and I'm very impressed that anyone is so affected ! How do you keep a bike vertical on ice ? Spiked tyres ?
    Grateful Dead

Exactly so, Doc. (and, late post, exactly so, Mr Sibley! linkage)Chainline is paramount for drivetrain longevity, and there are only two spots on a typical cogset/double ring combination that line up for perfect chainline. Too, I've had HUGE problems keeping the geartrain working well all through a Minnesota winter. I'm hopeful, indeed pretty certain, that the IGH will help. I've made enough friends in the local cycling community that I believe I could have the frame modified to accept a belt drive, which is clean and basically maintenance-free.

In the coldest conditions, I know I can expect some issues; apparently a half-and-half mixture of Redline ATF and Mobil-1 40-weight keeps things moving until internal friction warms things up. Anyway, at 0 degrees F, I'm pushing almost twice the mass of air out of the way as I do at 70 degrees F; every little bit helps. Honestly, between the drag from the snow, the drag from the air, the drag from the big ol' knobby tires and the drag from the driveline, I don't get where I'm going very fast at all. But it's still heaps and loads better than driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blight View Post
    Anyway, at 0 degrees F, I'm pushing almost twice the mass of air out of the way as I do at 70 degrees F; every little bit helps. Honestly, between the drag from the snow, the drag from the air, the drag from the big ol' knobby tires and the drag from the driveline, I don't get where I'm going very fast at all. But it's still heaps and loads better than driving.
    Bloody hell ! That sounds hard !You're a keen fella Blight !
    Grateful Dead

It is hard. But the joy is in the struggle. And it's not necessarily bad; dress right, every day can be 75 degrees. Plus, I really enjoy my sub-zero midnight rides. It's so quiet.

If silence could be made manifest, it would look like snowflakes in the light from the streetlamps.

I'm totally stoked to get the new Shimano Alfine 11-speed internal-geared hub. ...
    And now, from the department of applied magic....

Count the ratios...

http://www.fallbrooktech.com/nuvinci.asp
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Poetic , you're right about the gear .I recently made a motor cycle trip in moderately cool weather ( for me ! ) ,about 500 miles at 50 F/ 10 C .Probably barmy by your standards ! but at 110 km the chill factor is considerable .....by my standards ...

I didn't even notice it...8 hours at a virtual 25F .The new gear is great !
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    And now, from the department of applied magic....

Count the ratios...

http://www.fallbrooktech.com/nuvinci.asp
    well, you've achieved the improbable: You've added to my ignorance about bikes. Whats going on there? Is that a schematic of the NuVinci hub... WTF is going on here? Deeply confused, and that is foreign to me.

Just did the math. -30C is -22 F; we only see that for a week or so every winter. And that's nighttime low, "warming" to around zero F during the day.
    Last edited by Captain Blight; 09-05-2010 at 04:24 AM.

well, you've achieved the improbable: You've added to my ignorance about bikes. Whats going on there? Is that a schematic of the NuVinci hub... WTF is going on here? Deeply confused, and that is foreign to me.

That's it - just follow the linky.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

-30 C !!!! OK , I see the point and I'm very impressed that anyone is so affected ! How do you keep a bike vertical on ice ? Spiked tyres ?
    Exactly so - Spiked tyres for ice. But often at really cold there is a good covering of snow and a soft compound mtb tyre is preferable. Tubeless tyres running at pressures around 15 psi also help improve traction... Elbow pads can be a good idea!
    In stockholm it is rare to have daytime temps of -30C, but -15-20C are not uncommon. This last winter I was in Dalana, and we had daytime peaks of -35C - dry, so not too many clothing issues but the dogs feet were icing up badly!