Page 78 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2868777879 LastLast
Results 2,696 to 2,730 of 2758

Thread: I like bicycles.

Default Re: I like bicycles.

beautiful

bike pr0n
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Today I changed the urban tandem to a 1X drivetrain. Maybe a bit odd to do this to a 40 year old bike, but we use it a lot and I liked everything about it except the clunky shifting on the triple and the narrow tires. Now it has 700c wheels, 4 mm smaller to fit up to 35 mm tires, and a Microshift 11-46 setup with a single trigger shifter. Low gear is now 23", for future passhunting trips .

1986 Trek, replaced pedals as I do not have clip on shoes, and changed the freewheel and rear derailleur to make it more hill friendly, other than that mostly original.

trek.jpg

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

I saw a video of the VW museum and it had a brief view of one of these side by side bikes.

https://rollingspoke.com/the-buddy-bike/

I've ridden one of those. They can even be ridden solo, which I found surprising. The cranks are the weak point.

I wonder how it feels pedaling the oddball cranks in the color photo?

from my desert ride this morning
    truly an old man of the desert
    surly for scale

DD4A026A-F49A-45F4-A787-6FF928048C87.jpg

You’d think Paul wouldn’t be so surly…

Jeff C
    Don’t expect much, and you won’t be disappointed…

A few from last week. We ended up only doing the first day of the Timber Trail. Bridgit is still getting back to full fitness after covid and found the long hills a bit too much. I'm planning to go back and do the whole trail in a single day in mid-November, when there's a bit less ice on the high sections.

TimberTrailMontage.jpg
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

I always wanted one of the late Raleigh hand built Reynolds tube tourers, which started as “Randonneurs” and became “classics”. I now have one. It has been nicely restored and it definitely has better brakes than the old Mercian (this is a very low standard!) and is in other respects a really nice bike. But I haven’t cluttered it up with carriers, bags, etc., yet. And it’s going to get a proper saddle for Christmas.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    You’d think Paul wouldn’t be so surly…

Jeff C
    But it was early.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    I always wanted one of the late Raleigh hand built Reynolds tube tourers, which started as “Randonneurs” and became “classics”. I now have one. It has been nicely restored and it definitely has better brakes than the old Mercian (this is a very low standard!) and is in other respects a really nice bike. But I haven’t cluttered it up with carriers, bags, etc., yet. And it’s going to get a proper saddle for Christmas.
    One of my better finds was a 1972 Schwinn Paramount road bike I found for my brother which was like sport touring bikes of the ‘’80’s. Made w 531. I had rack brazeons added and got it repainted.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    The most important factor for a comfortable saddle is that it match the width of your “sit bones”. Your weight should rest on your ischial tuberosities to keep pressure of the sensitive areas of your groin, and to provide long term co fort when riding.

Fit is more important than padding or cushion because when the padding compresses on a saddle that doesn’t fit well, it just becomes a heavy uncomfortable saddle.

Most reputable companies make a variety of shapes and sizes, and individual fit is key. I cannot stand Flite saddle, for example, but Fizik makes several I enjoy.

Of course, all my advice should be taken with a grain of salt.
    In my experience, there's no such thing as a bicycle saddle that doesn't cause intense pain within 5-10 minutes.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

The Selle San Marco Rolls Titanio is my favorite saddle of all time. FWIW.
    I forget the Selle San Marco model that was my favorite when racing. It’s in a box w a Specialized gel road saddle on my road bike, that was my post vasectomy saddle. . It’s great when things fit right. Latest squishy saddle is on my ebiked Clem Smith. Wittkop I think. It’s the squishiest saddle for pedaling. I remember a few track riders using hard plastic Unicanator(sp?) saddles.
    Last edited by LeeG; 09-15-2022 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    In my experience, there's no such thing as a bicycle saddle that doesn't cause intense pain within 5-10 minutes.
    ouch, that’ll steer a person away from the activity.

This is the saddle for delicate folks. It’s actually a fine shape for pedaling and ands about 1/2” of cushion. I’m into value.

https://www.amazon.com/Wittkop-Bicyc...st_sto_dp&th=1
    Last edited by LeeG; 09-15-2022 at 07:26 PM.

Hmm.

I don’t know much, but I like a Brooks B17. I suppose I could give the Italian thing another try.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

a bike race in Italy today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUT-cFMJW54

Andrew, that Mercian is a nice bike, why not put better brakes on it?

Concor, that’s the one I had.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Andrew, that Mercian is a nice bike, why not put better brakes on it?
    Yes. It came to me from the late Ian Wright. I keep meaning to send it to its makers for a proper rebuild. Now I have the Raleigh I really ought to do that. It can get whatever brakes and other jewellery they recommend and my purse will stretch to.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I’ve sat on saddles for 5+ hours many times. And then got off and run marathons.

I typically ride 15-20 hours a week, in 2+ hours sessions.

The advice I gave is how I used to size people to saddles when I sold bikes and bike parts for money. And, it’s information I learned from the companies themselves, not just words I decided to type.

A properly sized a fitted bike shouldn’t cause any pain.

This is the saddle for delicate folks. It’s actually a fine shape for pedaling and ands about 1/2” of cushion. I’m into value.

I 'preciate the thoughts guys. I have tried probably 25+ saddles. My brother was a competitive road racer & worked in a bike shop for years & my (now) ex still rides at least 50 - more likely 100 miles a week. I truly have never found one that worked & my brother has a very similar build to mine. My ex has a much nicer posterior...

As a kid, the Brooks on my 3 speed Rudge wasn't bad - I could do a 1.5 hour paper route on it, but I was getting off 50 times in that period.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I 'preciate the thoughts guys. I have tried probably 25+ saddles. My brother was a competitive road racer & worked in a bike shop for years & my (now) ex still rides at least 50 - more likely 100 miles a week. I truly have never found one that worked & my brother has a very similar build to mine. My ex has a much nicer posterior...

As a kid, the Brooks on my 3 speed Rudge wasn't bad - I could do a 1.5 hour paper route on it, but I was getting off 50 times in that period.

I want to reiterate what Rob said about sit bones. After a lifetime of riding I could no longer find a saddle that I could tolerate after an hour or two. I thought it was old age and loss of subdermal padding, and was ready to give up bicycling. Then the lightbulb went on and I measured my sit bones and they are freakishly wide; good for having babies but not good for normal saddles. I found a 205mm wide saddle and feel sooo much better! Now I just notice everything else hurting

Kik

I second the Wittkop choice. I believe the one I'm happy with is just a little bit wider than the one you recomend. I think mine is "city" whereas your choice is "touring. I'm just a little guy but this saddle works very well for me. When I was in my twenties I decided that many, many saddles were devised by Italians with sado anal issues.

20220915_193437.jpg

Hey Dave, nothing like finding good affordable stuff.

I second what Rob said - recommend your favourite all you like, but unless your butt is exactly the same shape as the person's you're recommending it to, it'll mean diddley-squat.

Don't expect a total lack of discomfort for the first few rides, but so long as that discomfort is just getting used to the pressure in the right places, it'll pass and you're all good. If the pain is in places that have no place in bearing your weight for even the shortest period, then your saddle is the wrong shape.

Personally, I loath those big padded ones, they tend to cause all sorts of chafing. A fairly slim saddle that fits my width, minimal padding and certainly no gel or memory foam inserts, and I'm good for hours*.

The model that ACB is considering is a bit of an anomaly though - a traditional styled leather saddle that, once broken in, adheres to your actual shape. I've never tried one for long enough to break it in, and they always seem a bit slippery to me, but it works, then why change.

* with padded short liners for shorter rides or chamois shorts for epics.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Loudon View Post

....Then the lightbulb went on and I measured my sit bones and they are freakishly wide; good for having babies but not good for normal saddles. I found a 205mm wide saddle and feel sooo much better! Now I just notice everything else hurting
    I think you've discovered the secret. Your saddle is just over 8 inches wide. I have what looks like a small muscular butt, but I seem to be more comfortable with the extra width. The Wittkop model that I use, and am pleased with, is 8.5 inches wide. I was initially concerned with the wider appearance, but that's just letting those damn Italians confuse the decision making. The saddle doesn't limit my performance - every now and then I can keep up with a peloton of slicks if I have a mind to.

I have gone for the Selle SMP Avant on both my bikes and really have nothing to moan about.
    Selle-SMP-Avant-road-bike-saddle-packaging.jpgIMG_1345.jpg

It’s not a secret, and there’s no need to disparage Italian people. Some of the finest saddles made come from Italy, if you have the knowledge to pair them to fit.
    I focus on "Italian" because I don't believe that there is a Selle Italia saddle over 145 mm wide. Perhaps I'm mistaken??

If not, what does that say about pairing to fit? Is it a limitation?

Selle Italia is one company based in Italy. Just one. If they don’t fit you, it has nothing to do with Italian people, and there’s no reason to damn anyone.
    Your failure to understand "tongue in cheek" is noted.

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogKid View Post
    I second what Rob said - recommend your favourite all you like, but unless your butt is exactly the same shape as the person's you're recommending it to, it'll mean diddley-squat.

Don't expect a total lack of discomfort for the first few rides, but so long as that discomfort is just getting used to the pressure in the right places, it'll pass and you're all good. If the pain is in places that have no place in bearing your weight for even the shortest period, then your saddle is the wrong shape.

Personally, I loath those big padded ones, they tend to cause all sorts of chafing. A fairly slim saddle that fits my width, minimal padding and certainly no gel or memory foam inserts, and I'm good for hours*.

The model that ACB is considering is a bit of an anomaly though - a traditional styled leather saddle that, once broken in, adheres to your actual shape. I've never tried one for long enough to break it in, and they always seem a bit slippery to me, but it works, then why change.

* with padded short liners for shorter rides or chamois shorts for epics.
    Breaking in a Brooks isn’t too bad. Five hundred miles comes to mind. Don’t let it get wet.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    from my desert ride this morning
    truly an old man of the desert
    surly for scale

DD4A026A-F49A-45F4-A787-6FF928048C87.jpg
    That’s a whole different flora than here.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Breaking in a Brooks isn’t too bad. Five hundred miles comes to mind. Don’t let it get wet.
    I tried. Just couldn’t manage it. Sometime in my early 20’s I pinched a nerve enough riding that my penis was numb for five days (eek!) which motivated me to find the right saddle, posture and riding style.

(eek!)
    egads

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    egads
    Yeah, no pain, nothing. Help Mr Wizard!