Page 77 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2767767778 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,695 of 2758

Thread: I like bicycles.

Default Re: I like bicycles.

that’s a clean Schwinn tank. Not sure about the prop.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

The monoplane with the folding wings in Pete Bower's Fly Baby. Pete was an interesting guy who lived in Seattle and I believe earned his living taking photographs for Boeing. My dad helped Pete build the first Fly Baby. It was offered as a homebuilt with many configurations including both a biplane and a float plane.

Ah, that time of year in the Midwest ! ! !

I dont think there will be any racing the coming future. If all goes well I will start the design for my track bike later in the autumn for training in the spring. I should also pick up a new road bike using bike helmet from the same guy, but that will be a stock frame, just for training and

dork bot
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    dork bot
    “The coming future..”

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Since the thread is here.
    We took the urban tandem to S Tahoe, for grocery shopping on the bike paths. I had a couple of hours to myself one day, since this was the only bike we had I took it solo passhunting. It's 20+ lbs over my other bikes so pretty slow on the 6 - 10 % grades, but nice not to worry about the front wheel lifting...

Bridgit got a new bike a little over a month ago. It's a Marin Gestalt X10 gravel bike in frame size XS. 1x10 Microshift gears with a massive 11-51 cassette. It's her first drop bar bike, which has taken a little bit of getting used to, but now her position is dialled in (I've moved the levers down the curve of the bars a way, rotated the bars forward, move the spacer stack to under the stem and move her saddle forward a little) she's really enjoying it.

Next week we tack the Timber Trail, a two day 'mountain bike' trail in the forests of the central North Island. I've put a pair of grippier tyres on, set up tubeless. Hopefully we'll get through without the need for suspension, wider tyres or even lower gearing.

GestaltX10.jpg

Other work on the bike - the dork disc has been removed, ends fitted to the bare brake cable ends, set the BB pre-load correctly so the cranks actually spin, and completely setup the gears from scratch - cable tension, b-tension, hi and lo limit screws. The hard part is trying to get a bottle and cage that fit the very short seat tube.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

Unless you are racing it, you could use the bolts on the front fork for water and stop to drink.

We considered that last night, but for this trip we're going to put the bikes on the back seat of the car, and cages on the forks will just snag everything. It is an option though, we can always put the mounts on when we get to the trial. Bridgit does tend to stop for a drink anyway, although that may change as her confidence grows.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

Anyone here have a Surly Long Haul Trucker? How do you like it?
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Quote Originally Posted by Rigadog View Post
    Anyone here have a Surly Long Haul Trucker? How do you like it?
    I do. i bought a 56 cm LHT(700c wheels) in 2007 and rode it a couple years before getting a 26” wheel version. I found the slow speed handling of the 700c version to be awful esp. when carrying heavy loads. Imagine maneuvering onto ramps and around tight corners and finding yourself always overshooting your line. Above 5 mph it wasn’t an issue but between that and toe overlap with fenders it wasn’t ideal. It rode like a big transit bus. Nothing wrong w that but not ideal for commuting. Then I got a 56cm LHT frame in 26” wheels and it’s like a F250 with independent suspension. Totally different handling. Surprisingly responsive for a long chainstay/wheelbase touring bike and great heavy load carrying capability. Not ideal bikes for unloaded riding or for folks under 200 lbs.

Surly stopped making the old style LHT and the present version is more what I’d call a sport touring geometry but I haven’t ridden it. It’s a shame because the 26” wheel old style version is perfect at what it does. Wild guess the new disc LHT/700c is a better handling bike. I commuted w the LHT riding on 1.6”-1.75” tires and drop bars then went to Jones bars as drops and heavy loads don’t go together. Out here I’m on 2.0” tires w Thudbuster seatpost and ShockStop suspension stem and it is the other perfect bike.

Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    We took the urban tandem to S Tahoe, for grocery shopping on the bike paths. I had a couple of hours to myself one day, since this was the only bike we had I took it solo passhunting. It's 20+ lbs over my other bikes so pretty slow on the 6 - 10 % grades, but nice not to worry about the front wheel lifting...

We know that pass, only from the other side. It use to be the first climb on Pain in the Passes, also known as the Death Ride. Climbing that by yourself on a 40+ pound bike, with what looks like flat peddles must have been a workout. Good looking seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Higgins.94301 View Post
    We know that pass, only from the other side. It use to be the first climb on Pain in the Passes, also known as the Death Ride. Climbing that by yourself on a 40+ pound bike, with what looks like flat peddles must have been a workout. Good looking seats.

Ive done that ride from the other side, broke the national speed limit at the time descending Monitor Pass. I remember they were serving boiled potatoes at the Owens Valley turnaround. Seemed like an odd snack until I got there - yum, potatoes!
    Pretty sure I could not finish it now, but it would be fun to try a couple of passes with the roads closed to cars.

Ive done that ride from the other side, broke the national speed limit at the time descending Monitor Pass. I remember they were serving boiled potatoes at the Owens Valley turnaround. Seemed like an odd snack until I got there - yum, potatoes!
    Pretty sure I could not finish it now, but it would be fun to try a couple of passes with the roads closed to cars.
    I lost my stoker to osteoporosis two years ago so we no longer can do that climb together. I still might be able to make it to the top on a single but that would require more effort than I normally put out on my bike these days.

I know what you mean about breaking the speed limit in the Sierra. We once descended Tioga Pass, on the east side, just after they resurfaced the road. The new black surface highlighted the few light-colored rocks that had rolled onto the roadway, which I suppose made what we did next a little safer. At least I could see what to avoid. We did not brake after the turns near the top and were going faster than I thought possible, even on a tandem, by the time we reached Lee Vining city limits. It was an incredibly foolish thing to have done but also incredibly thrilling.

This photo shows the tandem we rode back then, and yes, those are sew-ups. Later that year we broke the lightweight forks on that elegant tandem. Fortunately, that mishap occurred while climbing in the Santa Cruz Mountains, so I am still here to write about it.

PICT0147.jpg
    Last edited by Mike.Higgins.94301; 09-02-2022 at 04:09 PM.

Man, if I had a dollar for every time I broke the National speed limit on a bike, Iíd be able to fly to Europe first class, Iím sure.

I only broke it on dirt on an MTB 5 times that I know of. Measured.

The scariest was on my triathlon bike, because it developed nasty, nasty speed wobbles at high speed.

I donít know why Iím not dead, but I sure as hell tried really hard to be, for a long time.

We only rode really fast a few times. I suppose that was the advantage of almost always riding a tandem. This meant I had someone on my bike who was far wiser than me when I was tempted to do something really foolish. Access to that wisdom has also been important off my bike as well.

44. S&B Market.jpg

Never ridden a LHT, but my Bruce Gordon has served faithfully for 30+ years.
    He is, unfortunately, retired, and dead, so a used one would be your only option. Fifty mm tires and touring on dirt, or 23 mm and recreational riding on the road, 3 mph uphill, or 30+ down it has always been well mannered.

Keep the weight off the wheels and simplify the rear end, just need the spare cash for my dream build, a Curtis frame with one of these

https://pinion.eu/en/gearboxes

Ah, why settle for 5 speed? Go for 14. https://www.cyclemonkey.com/blog/tec...ronic-shifting

Only integrates with a Bosch motor for now. A regular Rohloff would work, though, with an interrupter for shifting.

Why put the gears in the hub to begin with? Make it like any other driven machine where the transmission is before the final drive to the wheel. Then the wheel can be as light and cheap as can be.

You're describing the Pinion geared bottom brackets, 9, 12, or 18 different speeds.
    Also allows the rear wheel to be undished, hence stronger.

exactly, just like a motorcycle. And add a 1500w electric motor.
    Last edited by LeeG; 09-02-2022 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    Bruce Gordon
    i dont really know much about bikes
    but i googled that guy
    and he was much loved and his bikes are beautiful

Its not "like" a motorcycle it "is" a motorcycle when it has a "motor" (electric or ICE)

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    exactly, just like a motorcycle. And add a 1500w electric motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    i dont really know much about bikes
    but i googled that guy
    and he was much loved and his bikes are beautiful
    I admire his stainless steel strapless toe clips, but 80 bucks deters me.

Speaking of Colorado, beer and eye candy.

https://theradavist.com/the-custom-b...lden-colorado/

Suds and Buds at The Custom Bike Show in Golden, Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by artif View Post
    Its not "like" a motorcycle it "is" a motorcycle when it has a "motor" (electric or ICE)
    Depends on the size of motor and method of control. 250-350 watts with torque sensing is more bike than motorbike. 750-1500 w throttle is more moped than bicycle. Once you get up to 2000 watts and constant 25mph plus speeds it’s definitely motorcycle with bike wheels and drivetrain at their limits since the person is planted on the bike and good brakes and suspension are needed to keep the wheels on the ground. Dead weight requires better suspension than a live 150 lb bike racer provides with his whole body.

The lust I have for a black sheep is unreal. They are built here and I ve been able to test ride.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    The lust I have for a black sheep is unreal. They are built here and I ve been able to test ride.
    I’m on/off thinking of a custom frame but maybe I should just be happy.

The closest I came to my dream commuter is a steel framed swobo Fillmore. I had a dynohub and lights put on before I started riding it. A lap top and thermos in the rear pannier is enough to get the front end loose if I stomp on it doing normal in traffic commuting. And the tolerances are so tight in the fenders the tire selection is limiting. My daily grind is now a Kona ute. Not the bike I wanted but it is the bike I need.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

i kinda like this
    but for i dont need fenders much
    down here in the low desert

9A827D54-11AA-4033-AFD1-6002BBECB596.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    The closest I came to my dream commuter is a steel framed swobo Fillmore. I had a dynohub and lights put on before I started riding it. A lap top and thermos in the rear pannier is enough to get the front end loose if I stomp on it doing normal in traffic commuting. And the tolerances are so tight in the fenders the tire selection is limiting. My daily grind is now a Kona ute. Not the bike I wanted but it is the bike I need.
    Fairdale looks like a decent affordable brand. I’m presently changing around a State Klunker coaster brake one speed to be a doable utility bike.

I watched Craigslist for over a year looking for a decent frame my size and able to fit wide tires with fenders and luggage - no luck. So now I have my first (probably only) custom steel frame. It was built by John Fitzgerald in Petaluma (Fitz Cyclez), it was a pleasure working with John, and getting everything I wanted in a bike. The price was awfully reasonable too, IMO.

This bike takes up to 44 mm tires with the color matched fenders, has a chromed french flick fork with integrated dyno hub contacts, internal wiring to the built in taillight, front and rear rack mounting, pump pegs, 3 bottle mounts, front bag decaleur, and top tube shifters:

It's also set up to pack, with split rear fender, quick release pedals and a custom quill type stem. In about 10 minutes with no tools I can break it down to not quite coupler size, but close.

Just cannot get all that scrounging CL, I'm afraid.