Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 37464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,611 to 1,645 of 1760

Thread: I like bicycles.

Default Re: I like bicycles.

Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    The framebuilder I am working with, John Fitzgerald, agrees with Jan Heine. All his bikes this year are being built for 650bx48 (48!) tires. They eat up the bumps on gravel and no loss of speed on the road. Also better traction and better cornering. There must be something to this.
    You will, of course, be keeping us in the loop with this framebuilder business, eh?

I spend 99% of my very limited bike time (anymore) working on high end race bikes. The other day I snaked a bunch of di2 cables out of a frame to replace the system with SRAMs new Bluetooth shifters. Carbon splinter, electrical wire, hydraulic brakes... gah.

I like bikes.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    You will, of course, be keeping us in the loop with this framebuilder business, eh?

I spend 99% of my very limited bike time (anymore) working on high end race bikes. The other day I snaked a bunch of di2 cables out of a frame to replace the system with SRAMs new Bluetooth shifters. Carbon splinter, electrical wire, hydraulic brakes... gah.

I like bikes.

Peace,
    Robert
    That's funny. I would have guessed you were a Grant Petersen, BOB bike guy. All about the mustache bars and friction shifters. You have hidden depths! After years riding a carbon framed Trek with all the gadgets (although way before electronic shifting) I'm now firmly stuck in the past. Steel frame, 9 speed, downtube shifters, Brooks saddle - every bit of it chosen because it works for me. You should see the looks I get at the top of a long climb. I'm never the fastest guy up (I'm also a good 175-180 pounds) but I make it all the same, and all the guys with their sub-20 pound racing bikes look at my steel bike (with fenders even) and wonder what the heck!?

And ditto the interest in the custom frame!
    - Chris

https://fvpetrel.wordpress.com

Life is short. Go boating now!

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    That's funny. I would have guessed you were a Grant Petersen, BOB bike guy. All about the mustache bars and friction shifters. You have hidden depths! After years riding a carbon framed Trek with all the gadgets (although way before electronic shifting) I'm now firmly stuck in the past. Steel frame, 9 speed, downtube shifters, Brooks saddle - every bit of it chosen because it works for me. You should see the looks I get at the top of a long climb. I'm never the fastest guy up (I'm also a good 175-180 pounds) but I make it all the same, and all the guys with their sub-20 pound racing bikes look at my steel bike (with fenders even) and wonder what the heck!?

And ditto the interest in the custom frame!
    Chris,
    I really am a highly skilled bike mechanic. I came up in the old days of chasing and facing frames, building wheels, building custom geared freewheels...
    I've worked on bikes, as a pro, for 25+ years. I've worked on bikes period for much longer.
    Almost everything these days is modern and fancy. Not to my taste, per se, but still bikes people love. Like boats, eh?

Aside from racing, which I decided to officially, really, really really retire from, when I want the sharpest tool, I am very old school about bike selection, and material.
    I don't even own a bike with a derailleur, right now. And, they are all magnetic. I'm between road bikes.

I will go dig out my mountain bike and take a picture. It's a hoot.

Peace,
    Robert

Chris,
    I really am a highly skilled bike mechanic. I came up in the old days of chasing and facing frames, building wheels, building custom geared freewheels...
    I've worked on bikes, as a pro, for 25+ years. I've worked on bikes period for much longer.
    Almost everything these days is modern and fancy. Not to my taste, per se, but still bikes people love. Like boats, eh?

Aside from racing, which I decided to officially, really, really really retire from, when I want the sharpest tool, I am very old school about bike selection, and material.
    I don't even own a bike with a derailleur, right now. And, they are all magnetic. I'm between road bikes.

I will go dig out my mountain bike and take a picture. It's a hoot.

Peace,
    Robert
    You'd be a handy guy to live near, no doubt! I do most of my own work including wheel building, but no one would ever call me "highly skilled". I'm laughing just at the thought Mountain bikes - now there's a whole new subject. I did that for a few years before getting into road bikes. Never very serious but there's a lot of great single track up here so I still got to do some fun rides. My MB life goal is to ride the Cascade Triple Crown (https://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trai...lid=BGW063-035). But with gears please! A friend of mine races single speed MB. That's some skills right there. I'm impressed.
    - Chris

https://fvpetrel.wordpress.com

Life is short. Go boating now!

The framebuilder I am working with, John Fitzgerald, agrees with Jan Heine. All his bikes this year are being built for 650bx48 (48!) tires. They eat up the bumps on gravel and no loss of speed on the road. Also better traction and better cornering. There must be something to this.
    Although they're 26s, that's about the width of the semi-slick tyres I'm running on my converted mountain bike with cyclocross 1x gearing. Good on road (my only 700c equipped bike is a belt-drive 8-speed, it's hard to know how much of the feeling of extra drag is attributable to losses in the drivetrain), good on gravel and fire roads, OK on dry-ish grass, and predictable handling on all surfaces.

The tyres are 26x1.95 Cheng Shins that saw a good deal of use before the rebuild, but seem to have plenty of life in them yet.

'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

We're in for a week of tropical wet weather and high winds, so it was now or never to get a long ride to work in. You can see the dark clouds gathering behind the lights of the harbour bridge and the Sky Tower.

Last edited by AnalogKid; 03-06-2017 at 08:38 PM.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

I came up in the old days of chasing and facing frames, building wheels, building custom geared freewheels...
    Likewise. OTOH, I haven't worked on bikes professionally for over 30 years - but I can still build a wheel, although not as fast as I used to.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Likewise. OTOH, I haven't worked on bikes professionally for over 30 years - but I can still build a wheel, although not as fast as I used to.
    I have been battling, incrementally, this modern, internally cable routed wonder aero bike, for a friend, trying to make the brakes work.
    The routing of the brake cables was designed to make them saw through the carbon frame, and be unable to stop the bike at the same time. And take three 90 degree turns, and one 340 degree turn.

I just about can't stand new bikes anymore to even touch them. Still, it's fun to stay current and feel immersed in the culture, and have the panache to cherry pick and overcharge for jobs. Get a little pin money. Hehe.

I think I'm pretty close t building a set of wheels. I'm trying to get an entire pista group on my colnago, and I think I may have found some high flange hubs. All CrampandSlowgo on that bike.

I really, really like to build twist lace wheels. It's a radical improvement over wrapping and soldering...

I took some cool pics of my buddy's old, old bike yesterday. I'll,put them up later.

Peace,
    Robert

If I make it to this event in a couple of weeks Rob, I'll take some photos of some nice old-school steel for you.

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogKid View Post
    Although they're 26s, that's about the width of the semi-slick tyres I'm running on my converted mountain bike with cyclocross 1x gearing. Good on road (my only 700c equipped bike is a belt-drive 8-speed, it's hard to know how much of the feeling of extra drag is attributable to losses in the drivetrain), good on gravel and fire roads, OK on dry-ish grass, and predictable handling on all surfaces.

The tyres are 26x1.95 Cheng Shins that saw a good deal of use before the rebuild, but seem to have plenty of life in them yet.

Looks like those sidewalls will give out before the tread wears out. Try these out. The 26"X 1.75 tires will stick to the wet roads a lot better than the old ChenShins and even though they're very light the puncture barrier resists glass very well.

https://www.panaracer.com/lineup/urban_touring.html

Well. It's official. No more the bike racing for me.

We have pinpointed the recurring back problems I've been having of late. The aggressive posture and narrow hip angle is killing me. I've done a few 50 milers that left me almost crippled. The amount of PT to recover from an aggressive ride is too much.
    And, running off the bike is pretty hard when the back locks up. The laser beam effect of the nerve being crushed by muscles clamping down to "protect" the injury sort of makes me woozy. It's a flashing white type of pain. Ahem.

So. It's all upright bikes, and maybe recumbent bikes in the future. Which, don't get me wrong, I'm fine with. I'm old enough to quit racing, anyway, and as long as I can ride bikes, I don't care. Well, maybe I care a little...
    I only ever raced bikes because I liked to go fast on my bike, anyway.

I will still be campaigning footraces for a team this year. It should be a hoot.

My buddy has been making one of those "airstream" bike trailers with my help, but he is all thumbs, and he only has three of those.
    I may start and finish one right quick behind his back. Hehe.
    The plan, tentatively, is to ride to "local" footraces and camp out at the start line.

Yes. We are idiots. Der.

Peace,
    Robert

Moving some non political content up front...

Jeff C

Well. It's official. No more the bike racing for me.

We have pinpointed the recurring back problems I've been having of late. The aggressive posture and narrow hip angle is killing me. I've done a few 50 milers that left me almost crippled. The amount of PT to recover from an aggressive ride is too much.
    And, running off the bike is pretty hard when the back locks up. The laser beam effect of the nerve being crushed by muscles clamping down to "protect" the injury sort of makes me woozy. It's a flashing white type of pain. Ahem.

So. It's all upright bikes, and maybe recumbent bikes in the future. Which, don't get me wrong, I'm fine with. I'm old enough to quit racing, anyway, and as long as I can ride bikes, I don't care. Well, maybe I care a little...
    I only ever raced bikes because I liked to go fast on my bike, anyway.

Peace,
    Robert
    Welcome to the recumbent world of pain-free cycling. I'm sorry that your physical state is preventing your participation in an activity you love, but there is a silver lining. I finally really began to enjoy sailing when I gave up racing, and just went sailing for the sake of sailing.

A bad back ended my biking 4 decades ago. I found bents about 5 years ago. I can ride 40 miles, and nothing hurts that didn't hurt before I started (some things actually feel better). No sore back...no stiff neck...no ass-hatchet butt...and a big, s__t-eating "Recumbent Grin" on my face.

As you mentioned, you don't need to race just to ride fast, but more and more races are allowing recumbents to participate in their own divisions. You won't be allowed in anything UCI; that never bothered me.

Embrace your inner recumbent self.

Arrive at your next bike crash feet first; instead of head first!

p.s.: In another life I'm known as "Cap'n Crunch"
    http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/index.php
    Schooner captains love to get blown offshore!

SWMBO commutes to the office by train but this leaves a four point something mile trek at the far end - so she bought a folding bike.

Slightly weird but very effective.

Last edited by P.I. Stazzer-Newt; 03-19-2017 at 05:32 PM.
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

So this morning I set out in the brilliant sunshine for a ride organised by bike shop that's round the corner from my office. I'd met the own of the shop when he sorted the head bearings on my Raleigh rebuild, but really didn't know any of the characters that would be turning up. It was billed as an MTB / Klunkers / pre-2000 ride out. My local ferry only runs every 2.5 hours at the weekend, so first off, it was over to Devonport to catch the half-hourly service into the city.

That's the ferry building in the background.

After a long wait for everybody to show at the shop, 30 or so riders of all shapes and ages rode bikes of all shapes and ages down through the Domain and to a cafe in Parnell, where I got a better look at some of the machinery.

These were being sold at the cafe, not part of the ride out:

but these were being well used:

And this one is very cool. The owner is a metal fabricator by trade, and he made this frame up himself - TIG-welded high tensile steel. The seat "tube" is actually for smaller tubes, with just a short collar to grip and align the seat post. The pointy rear triangle with the webbed dropouts below I thought were pretty cool too. It's a 24" cruiser with rear coaster brake.

After the cafe, we rode down to the ferry and headed back to Devonport and enjoyed the view from North Head:

There's a couple of videos also here:

http://www.facebook.com/andy.white.5...type=3&theater

and here:

http://www.facebook.com/andy.white.5...type=3&theater

I like bikes too, but for the past three years have spent my keep fit hours walking with my sadly now deceased dog. I'd like to get started again, so please, give me a shout when there is something on here on the North Shore. I'll drag my City Bike up from Hamilton and fit the bike rack to the pickup.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

John, I'm part of a group that is advocating for better cycling infrastructure in Kaipatiki. Most of our events are just free maintenance days but there is talk of partnering with the Albany group and having a ride out between a couple of key locations. One end is likely to be the new bush lookout in Highbury. If anything comes of it I'll let you know.

Of course, the problem with riding around Kaipatiki is the hills. Every ride I do starts with climbing up Island Bay Rd!

Quote Originally Posted by SchoonerRat View Post
    Welcome to the recumbent world of pain-free cycling. I'm sorry that your physical state is preventing your participation in an activity you love, but there is a silver lining. I finally really began to enjoy sailing when I gave up racing, and just went sailing for the sake of sailing.

A bad back ended my biking 4 decades ago. I found bents about 5 years ago. I can ride 40 miles, and nothing hurts that didn't hurt before I started (some things actually feel better). No sore back...no stiff neck...no ass-hatchet butt...and a big, s__t-eating "Recumbent Grin" on my face.

As you mentioned, you don't need to race just to ride fast, but more and more races are allowing recumbents to participate in their own divisions. You won't be allowed in anything UCI; that never bothered me.

Embrace your inner recumbent self.

Arrive at your next bike crash feet first; instead of head first!

p.s.: In another life I'm known as "Cap'n Crunch"
    http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/index.php
    You know, I've ridden almost every type of bent, too, and HPV type vehicles, being involved in bikes for so long.
    To me, bikes are like boats. I like them all, and I want to try most of them.

My favorite type has been the LWB regular handlebar steered bikes, like a TourEasy. I am also contemplating making one myself. We shall see.

I really am seriously considering a bent trike to take on a tour, towing a trailer.

Maybe.

Meanwhile, as long as I keep the hips open, the regular bike is okay. I still ride it pain free, but the extreme hip angle,of the racing fit is a no go.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    I like bikes too, but for the past three years have spent my keep fit hours walking with my sadly now deceased dog. I'd like to get started again, so please, give me a shout when there is something on here on the North Shore. I'll drag my City Bike up from Hamilton and fit the bike rack to the pickup.

John Welsford
    What type and size bike you looking for?
    I have full access to the bike shop, and it would be nothing to get an empty bike box, stuff a nice used bike in it, and fire it off to the other side of the planet.
    Yes. Really.
    I give away bikes all the time, because I sometimes get a hold of nice bikes for nothing, or very little.

Really. Let me know.

And, sorry about your dog. It took me two full years to recover from losing my last. I like dogs, too.

Peace,
    Robert

wonderin' can we call this a 'bi'cycle?.. could be uni.. could be tri.. definitely interesting!

https://video-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/...b3&oe=58D82CBB

hope the link works.. android is a pain.

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

It is certainly interesting. I found it on YouTube.

Biowheel an amazing cycle

That's fun

Thanks, Jimmy!

Figure it's a neat contraption if nothing else.

What type and size bike you looking for?
    I have full access to the bike shop, and it would be nothing to get an empty bike box, stuff a nice used bike in it, and fire it off to the other side of the planet.
    Yes. Really.
    I give away bikes all the time, because I sometimes get a hold of nice bikes for nothing, or very little.

Really. Let me know.

And, sorry about your dog. It took me two full years to recover from losing my last. I like dogs, too.

Peace,
    Robert
    Rob, thats a very kind offer but I've got a near new city bike, straight handlebars, soft seat, sprung forks, disc brakes, 24 speeds, biggish tyres. Slow by comparison to the serious riders machines but it does the job pretty nicely. Its been in my shop at my ex's house, she's not riding her own bike currently due to her bionic knee taking a while to settle in, and we were walking dogs instead of riding so the bikes weren't being used.
    But now, no dog, sadly missed, so I can use the bike trails around where I live most of the time, and she's keen to get started again so the bike rack will go on the back of the pickup and we'll get pedaling together again.

I've a couple of years of intensive travel ahead of me, Howard Rice and I are in the throes of creating a "virtual classroom" for experiential learning, all based around his SCAMP which will be outfitted with the electronics to enable us to interact in real time with school classrooms from anywhere on the planet.
    Once that two year program is over, my ex and our daughter are planning to get a pair of Bichon Poodle cross pups, and ex's Border Terrier will come and live on the ship with me, so the dog issue will come right.

Again, thanks for the offer and the kind thought.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

For other old guys who have a race geared road bike, there is a simple and pretty cheap way to get wider range gears:

On the Bianchi, I changed the 12-27 cassette to an 11-34, with a simple spacer thingie for the derailleur to accommodate the bigger range (Wolf Creek Components' RoadLink).
    With the front triple I now have a 30/34 low (which gets used on the 20% grades around here), and a 52/11 high (which I will never need).

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    Rob, thats a very kind offer but I've got a near new city bike, straight handlebars, soft seat, sprung forks, disc brakes, 24 speeds, biggish tyres. Slow by comparison to the serious riders machines but it does the job pretty nicely. Its been in my shop at my ex's house, she's not riding her own bike currently due to her bionic knee taking a while to settle in, and we were walking dogs instead of riding so the bikes weren't being used.
    But now, no dog, sadly missed, so I can use the bike trails around where I live most of the time, and she's keen to get started again so the bike rack will go on the back of the pickup and we'll get pedaling together again.

I've a couple of years of intensive travel ahead of me, Howard Rice and I are in the throes of creating a "virtual classroom" for experiential learning, all based around his SCAMP which will be outfitted with the electronics to enable us to interact in real time with school classrooms from anywhere on the planet.
    Once that two year program is over, my ex and our daughter are planning to get a pair of Bichon Poodle cross pups, and ex's Border Terrier will come and live on the ship with me, so the dog issue will come right.

Again, thanks for the offer and the kind thought.

John Welsford
    John,
    You're quite welcome. My personal motto for some years has been Dedicated To The Embetterment Of People Movers Everywhere.

I can relate to the dog loss. Sorry for yours. My last took me some years to recover from.

Anyhow, happy to offer. You and Howard are hard at work making dreamers like me feel more normal, not less.
    To all the dreams, and to the dreamers living them out.

Peace,
    Robert

For other old guys who have a race geared road bike, there is a simple and pretty cheap way to get wider range gears:

On the Bianchi, I changed the 12-27 cassette to an 11-34, with a simple spacer thingie for the derailleur to accommodate the bigger range (Wolf Creek Components' RoadLink).
    With the front triple I now have a 30/34 low (which gets used on the 20% grades around here), and a 52/11 high (which I will never need).
    No 52-11? What, you don't plan to go 60mph?

Keep your eye on that "thingie", as they can slip. It won't hurt anything other than shift performance. Other than that, those things are awesome. They work very well. Just keep your eye on the "b" tension adjustment, which can change if the thingie slips.
    That 30-34 is pretty low. That's great.

Peace,
    Robert

It's the thought that counts.

My least favorite traffic sign is "bike lane ends merge with traffic", usually traffic in the bike lane.

The spring weather has brought construction and MAMILS out, so I take the path less traveled.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by switters; 04-03-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

My contribution to the bilge this week, http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/ind...thread.102829/

a link to the winter builds over at rat rod bikes. I have the rear wheel coming in today for my frankentrike build for tour de fat, rat rod is a cool site for cruiser inspiration. I still dont know what I'm going to do with the trike, but I like the stake bed concept.

Cheers,
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.

not my bike leaning up against things not in Colorado

[IMG][/IMG]

Last weeks travels found me south of Pittsburg with a few hours to kill, and lo, a coffee shop I had been directed to was also a bike rental and shop next to the Montour trail. Pictured above is the National tunnel, 630 feet long and kinda rare as it was curved. There was also a spirit tree which made me think Amish R. A lot of the trail in the area I was in seemed to me like travelling in a green hall way because of the uniform width. About every 1/2 mile was a blooming white dogwood.

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

It is shorter and not curved, but the photo reminded me of this tunnel on the Silver Comet Trail in Georgia. This tunnel is between Dallas and Rockmart on the following map.

The Silver Comet Trail runs 62 miles, from Smyrna on the outskirts of Atlanta, to the Georgia/Alabama state line. There it connects to the Chief Ladiga Trail.

Reminds me of the rail tunnel in the Karangahake Gorge, now a walking/cycling trail through a former gold mining area.