Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Vehicle?

Default Re: Which Vehicle?

Damn, I guess I've grown up.
    Paint a stripe on it.

We don't know how lucky we are....

Quote Originally Posted by seanz View Post
    Ian; that's a bit bigger than a Honda step-thru......
    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    uh oh.
    Shhh. Don't tell anyone.

Yes Sean - but not much bigger. Its an F650 Funduro
    Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Yes Sean - but not much bigger.
    Uh.....5X bigger?

Quote Originally Posted by seanz View Post
    Uh.....5X bigger?

Does that mean it will go 5x faster? Lessee.... 575 kph?
    Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Does that mean it will go 5x faster? Lessee.... 575 kph?
    Nah, they explained that on Top Gear the other night.

Small truck, extended cab (4 doors not necessary), long bed. No 4x4, no lift. Tow package. At least a 200 hp engine. An easy to remove camper shell. I'd probably be fine for a while.

Mmmmm... I've had a couple of pickups with no 4wd, not at all happy in slick conditions. Ill live with the slight mileage penalty for the advantage of a part time 4wd system. YMMV (just had to say that) I agree with you on all other particulars, though, wish someone would get smart and do one as a diesel. Boy, I'd jump on that.
    Brute force and ignorance, all in one bulky and unappealing package

VW Country Buggy.

I adore the older Audi Allroad wagons, but the twin turbos are killers, and mileage not all that great.

In that vein, the MINI Clubman S is thrifty on gas, yet very good performance, and you can carry some stuff and tow moderately.

Honda Element? I dunno. My old Accord V6 coupe is still going strong at 203,000 miles...
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Il colore del cielo, la forza del mare.

Quote Originally Posted by coelacanth2 View Post
    Mmmmm... I've had a couple of pickups with no 4wd, not at all happy in slick conditions. Ill live with the slight mileage penalty for the advantage of a part time 4wd system. YMMV (just had to say that) I agree with you on all other particulars, though, wish someone would get smart and do one as a diesel. Boy, I'd jump on that.
    I don't go off road enough to want 4wd and we get ice 2 days a year down here. For at little as I go into the much a decent winch and set of tow straps would be just as useful. My experience with 4wd vehicles is that you just get that much deeper into the woods before you have to get a tow.

Does no one really make a small diesel truck these days? Didn't Isuzu have one in the '80s/early '90s?

I guess if you really wanted one the trick would be to scavenge an old Mercedes 4 banger?

Quote Originally Posted by OconeePirate View Post
    I don't go off road enough to want 4wd and we get ice 2 days a year down here. For at little as I go into the much a decent winch and set of tow straps would be just as useful. My experience with 4wd vehicles is that you just get that much deeper into the woods before you have to get a tow.

Does no one really make a small diesel truck these days? Didn't Isuzu have one in the '80s/early '90s?

I guess if you really wanted one the trick would be to scavenge an old Mercedes 4 banger?

There were VW little pickups but they did not seem like they could carry to much.

For one or 2 years Toyota made a pickup with a diesel.

I already own my ideal vehicle, but I own a couple of others also. The classic Mini is on borrowed time because its been roadworthy for a very small percentage of the time I have owned it.

Established in January 2003, we have formed our company to provide the best Honda VTEC Conversion products available for the Classic Minis.

Over the past 8 years we have built and sold over 350 Honda VTEC conversion Kits to over 30 different countries (USA, Venezuela, Denmark, Canada, Spain, UK, Philippines, Croatia, Brazil, Chile, Greece, Italy, France, U.A.E., Mexico, Belgium, Ireland, Netherlands, Australia, Malta, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Germany, Thailand, Taiwan, South Africa, Poland, Slovakia, Guyana, China and Caiman Islands).

Fuel Efficient and Fast! Our VTEC Powered Super Fast Minis can get up to 45 miles per gallon while performing 0-60 mph in under 5.0 seconds. Now, how many other cars can make that claim?

We look forward to assisting you in building your Super Fast Honda VTEC Powered Mini.

CONTACTS
    BJ at bj@superfastminis.com for sales
    Norman at norm@superfastminis.com for technical support
    Tom at Ecutuning@windstream.net for wiring support

HOURS OF OPPERATION
    Monday - Friday; 8:00am - 12:00pm and 1:00pm - 4:00pm EDT

Mini Tec, LLC
    426 Dawkins Road
    Royston, GA 30662 USA
    (706)246-0072

Go for it there must be some left over Honda engines in NZ somewhere.
    NDNs have higher IQs*

*indian quotients.

Installation kits available for B, D, and K series Honda VTec engine and transmissions.

No need in extending your Mini for this swap. This kit allows you to fit the Honda D-Series engine into your Mini without any external body modifications. The MTD Series was designed to install Honda’s D Series SOHC engines into the Classic Mini (1959-2001), upgrading the Classic Minis A-Series engine with today’s most trusted engines built by Honda. With four times the horsepower of a stock Mini 850 and a thousand times the reliability, you might realize the reason for the swap. Reliability and knowing that your car will run in any condition is a great feeling to have everyday. Have fun with your Classic Mini.
    A D series with original sheetmetal nose and bonnet.

A K series swap with tilt up bonnet in FGlass.

NDNs have higher IQs*

*indian quotients.

Since you asked...

For me, it'd be a 1997 VW Passat TDI Wagon (5 speed manual, of course). 50 MPG - and, a 25 gallon fuel tank! Guaranteed, you'll be looking for lodging WAY before you run out of fuel...

Currently driving an '03 Jetta TDI Wagon (bought new in January '03); 230,000 almost trouble-free miles to date. Only issues have been (a) road debris punched a hole in the A/C condenser, and (b) Serpentine belt tensioner pulley bearing froze, necessitating an 80 mile drive home without power steering or an alternator. Other than that - replace the odd burned-out light bulb, routine maintenance items, and the VW engineers cleverly placed the front end of the car just barely high enough so that pulling the front end of the car over a curb positions the plastic parts underneath in perfect position to pull said plastic parts off of the car when you back out of the parking space.

Still - far and away the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by SMARTINSEN View Post
    You could always get a Brat.
    don't want one

Money no object? Well romance says a late 1920's blower Bentleigh. If I could afford that I ncould afford to hire anything else I needed as I needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    What does a minivan do better in its niche than this very clean stylistically and moderately performance car does?

[/IMG]
    Well... First off - I was comparing a minivan to an SUV. One person driving a Tahoe, Escalade, etc. (basically a 1/2 ton p/u with closed back) @ 13 mpg makes me nuts(er). The V70 is a nice car - except for repair bills - but that's another topic. The V70 or something like it will do well, but a minivan has quite a bit more room & easier access with roughly the same mpg. The Volvo seats 5 & some gear or 7 & no gear if you get the rear facing seat in the back. A minivan seats 7 & more gear than the Volvo with 5 passengers - or 4 with each kid getting a separate seat - which is wunnerful on a long trip;-).

Would I rather drive the V70 than a minivan? Yoobet. It also costs substantially more.

I drove a rental Chrysler minivan a couple of years back. Very good car, just make sure you get automatic transmission, the long sloppy stick was very annoying. European minivans, like the VW Touran are way too short to be of any use.
    1947 Nordic Folkboat "Nina"

For someone that loves driving as much as I do, it is real hard to pick that "one" car. Each one has its own purpose. And being as I love to drive it is hard to do away with those "fun" cars like MGs and muscle cars and Jeeps.

Chad
    There are three ways to do things: The right way, the wrong way and my way.

Three Little Birds Love is My Religion

ok,ok, lwb Ford Transit Connect with 1.8 turbodiesel.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Five slotters, bubble windows and a mural? Go on, you know you want to.

Maybe a transformer type vehicle would be best. Could you imagine a MGB transforming to a full sized diesel 4wd work truck? Or an RX-7 becoming a mini van? Of course each vehicle has to have its own color so we need the transfom the colors also.

Chad
    There are three ways to do things: The right way, the wrong way and my way.

Three Little Birds Love is My Religion

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Does the U.S. actually get the diesel version? As much as I've liked our Focus I'm really interested in the Transit. It looks like an amazingly utilitarian little van thing.

nope

I need to haul our 20 ft Elver, kids and their friends, dogs, canoes, camping gear, groceries, senior citizen parents (not all at once), so it would be a mini-van. We have a Chrysler Town and Country and a Prius. And I have a bicycle. If you take the seats out of the van, you can put in 4 x 8 ft sheets of drywall and plywood or whatever, flat on the floor, and still close the back gate. If I need to haul rocks and gravel, I'll get a utility trailer, or pay someone else to do it.

Brian

F150 and a bicycle. Trailers for both.

I wooda won this thread big time sept for guys always bring out little sports cars.

If I could have only one car it wouldn't be a little sports car. I've gone with my only vehicle being a TR6 for a while and a GT6 for a while. You can carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood on a GT6, but it ain't pretty and the wind does wierd things. With a wife and kid neither car would be that useful.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Money no object? Well romance says a late 1920's blower Bentleigh. If I could afford that I ncould afford to hire anything else I needed as I needed it.
    Oh, you want to play that game? I'd have a Aston Martin DB9 with a tow-bar, thanks.

I think you need an Allard. Or, perrhaps a Jag?
    Brute force and ignorance, all in one bulky and unappealing package

how about the edison 2 ultra light car (tandom version) that just won ( my guess) the X prize and hook a trailor to it for carrying stuff
    Last edited by seafox; 09-01-2010 at 01:13 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by coelacanth2 View Post
    I think you need an Allard. Or, perrhaps a Jag?
    Yes, purrhaps a Jag.