Thread: What is the standard height of an exterior door...

Default What is the standard height of an exterior door...

So, to make my sweetheart happy I agreed to replace our perfectly good front door with another one. We'd already replaced the front door, but it was over 25 years ago, and she wanted some more light. Totally reasonable.

Old door is 1/2" shorter than the new door. Rough opening isn't tall enough for new door. Oh, look, that header looks 'scabbed' in. It was... Now, but for the low roofline, and the brick mold being a teenie bit wider across, we're nearly in business. The Multimaster was the tool for the moment.

Must be my bad karma
    MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants

Default Re: What is the standard height of an exterior door...

Most standard doors are 6'-8". Some newer ones or commercial doors are 7'. It might also be that your new door is oversized to allow for scribing or for fitting to a threshold. The 6'-8" should be measured from the finish floor.

Quote Originally Posted by boylesboats View Post
    old door being 1/2" shorter is not all that bad.... At least it not 1/2" out of square at left top corner
    Or the new one was 1/2" shorter than the old one! That's how they usually work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Most standard doors are 6'-8". ...The 6'-8" should be measured from the finish floor.
    Thanks, Ron.

The new door (6' 8") measures 82" outside to outside... The old one, obviously, 81.5". Can't take anything off the bottom as the door will now just clear the rug.

But the really weird thing is the scabbed in 2 x 4 under the header. The new door will just make it under the roof line (did I tell you this is a really ugly house, and why anyone in their right mind thought this suitable for New England beats the hell out of me), and will fit without that 2 x 4. I'll also need to cut some of the plaster in the inside to get it above the top of the door frame. Very curious for a house built in 1960.
    MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants

Wood doors generally , but not always measure 80" , then the jamb is made to fit the door including the sill and jamb head.

If your door is large and the hinges line up measuring from the head downward just cut the door off, if it have a door sweep on the bottom just peel it off the new door before you cut it off and re attach it.

So seeing your posts have not been clear ,

Are the hinges already let into the hinge side of the new door?

If so, check for alignment with the hinges on the door jamb and see with way you can adjust to make it work out.

I'm confused to what the door was adjusted for? It seem to hit from what I can read in your post both swing out and in, which is odd for a exterior door to be double acting? Maybe your including the screen door into the mix??

A photo or two would go a long way to helping with the figuring out what to do to adjust the new to the old.

A multi-master isn't the tool for cutting off a door IMO.

Or are you replacing the door add the jamb with a all new unit?

"So, to make my sweetheart happy I agreed to replace our perfectly good front door with another one."

Hmm, I learn something new everyday around here.
    Me, I always replaced the perfectly good sweetheart and kept the damn door.
    Shucks!

4 feet eight and one half inches......
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Here, 78".
    Even when they work, they don't work well. I blame engineers.
    The only thing engineers have done to the toaster in the last 80 years is make it disposable. I think it applies to a lot of things

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harrow View Post

Must be my bad karma
    I seriously doubt that.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    A multi-master isn't the tool for cutting off a door IMO.

Or are you replacing the door add the jamb with a all new unit?
    Last first - the whole enchilada - I ain't hangin' no door - When Sheryl's Dad needed to hire carpenters for his crew, door hanging was the test. I'da gone down in flames - hell, I did go down in flames, LOL, but it all worked out in the end. (Trading a sweetheart for a door? "While I never..." (quoting Mum, here))

As for the MM - not for cutting off the door, for triming the shingles, plaster, etc to fit the door frame.

Well, gotta get back at it.

Quote Originally Posted by botebum View Post
    I seriously doubt that.

Doug
    Well, you might, LOL, but the Maestro said it's so, so, ergo, it must be so.

As for the MM - not for cutting off the door, for triming the shingles, plaster, etc to fit the door frame.

Well, gotta get back at it.
    Here's a thought or a way I've done door replacements before, knock of the brick molding that came on the door hang the door and jamb centering it between the siding , no so much the rough opening / framing. Shim as required , screw the door into the shims behind the weather stripping (which generally is removable , it's slipped into a saw kerf so you can gentle pull on it and remove it ), bore four countersunk hole equally spaced so the screw heads will be covered once the weather strip is re-installed.

The screw allow you to adjust the jamb as required , better than a nail anyway. Some times you wish you had three hands , but eh that's true of many things.

Once the door and jamb are set, and your happy with the gaps being equal around the door , you can cut new "Brick mold" out of 5/4 or 1 1/2" material. Cedar or VG Fir are good choices. I like to back prime it as well and / or at least seal the end grain at the bottom.

And most of this prolly reads like Greek to you , but it not all that hard to do.

Good luck.

Round numbers; 7-feet.

All sorts of reasons for variation + & - from that.

Leson learned? NEVER buy a door or window without measuring frirst.

Moby Nick

Round numbers are worthless when talking about setting a door in a RO. And the facts is you can order 7'-0" doors, 6'8" doors , 8'-0" doors all as "standard" door heights . In the old days even 6'-6" doors where considered standard. No so much today. And it depends where you shop, at Home Despot or Blowes 6'-8" would be "standard" or what they stock / carry.

Here's the hide the screw deal,

And the shims ,

Setting the gaps, 1/8" aluminum flat stock make great spacers,

That's what I set my standard gap to , or as close as possible depending on how well the guy at the door shop did letting in the hinges and getting the jamb head length right.

On the knock the brick molding off thing you can screw a scrap of plywood to the exterior sheathing , one in each corner to give you something to push the door jamb against so you "know" it's flush with the sheathing as you do the rest of the jamb setting.

This door was set with the original brick molding on it as it was new work so I set the door with the brick on , then generally I knock it off and use material that matches what we're using around the exterior windows , so that changes job to job , depending on the details selected. Seldom do we use the stock brick molding.

Oddly if you ask for "no brick molding" the price never goes down and seldom do they leave it off. It's just to "hard" to get them to listen , and the manf. / door hangers have it in their heads that a door "has to have brick mold" when it leaves the shop sort of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    Round numbers are worthless when talking about setting a door in a RO....

That's what I set my standard gap to , or as close as possible depending on how well the guy at the door shop did letting in the hinges and getting the jamb head length right. ...
    Nuff said!

ROFL!

I considered taking the brick mold off before setting the door. I think it would have been a good idea. The problem when one does things like doors so infrequently is that one is always at the bottom of the learning curve. Well the door is in, it ain't falling out, and thankfully neither Sheryl's nor my Dad are around to criticize the job. Actually, Frank would just mutter to himself about his daughter's choices....

Now about the stupid threshold 'extension', or the hinge screw that was trapped between the door, weatherstrip, and the frame - and this weren't no stinking big-box store door, either. The top hinge had just one screw attaching it to the frame...

Now about the stupid threshold 'extension', or the hinge screw that was trapped between the door, weatherstrip, and the frame - and this weren't no stinking big-box store door, either. The top hinge had just one screw attaching it to the frame...
    Well yes that's related to my sentence that Ozzie's quoted. I'm not sure if he / she thinks the two sentence's "they" quoted are directly related , other than the broader subject is door's , but that's another matter, I guess.

You should also run one long-ish say 2 1/2" to 3" screw directly then the inner ( closest to the door stop) hole in, at minimum, the top hinge. Matching the color of the hinge and the screw is a nice touch as well.

Give us a photo op and we'll grade the work! Come on no balls, no blue chips, or some such clever line.