Page 3 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2341353 ... LastLast

Thread: Are You Ready For Some... Football?

Default Re: Are You Ready For Some... Football?

I should know better than to post anything about Michigan vs Notre Dame at halftime. Robinson seems to be shut down on the ground now and Crist is just a fantastic quarterback - energizing both the offense and defense. 21 - 17 after 6 minutes of play in the 3rd.

Meeeeeechhhiiigannnnnnn!
    Hail to the Victor's Valiant, Hail, Hail.

502 yards from Denard Robinson. Marilyn and I are having a discussion about a new name for a quarterback this good. Gunnin'runnin'back?

Is the lightning delay going to hurt Tennessee? I believe it won't help. BTW TN's first possession scored them 3 with some great running. On the following kick-off Oregon fumble on the kick off return and TN recovered for another 3. I wish that we had gotten some 6's instead of 3's, but hey we drew first blood. Than the lightning. We are in a lightning delay, none here at the house. This does not bode well for TN. This gives Oregon a chance to regroup and could change the outlook of the game.

Chad
    There are three ways to do things: The right way, the wrong way and my way.

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

Quote Originally Posted by Milo Christensen View Post
    Marilyn and I are having a discussion about a new name for a quarterback this good. Gunnin'runnin'back?
    So you guys were talking about Terrelle Pryor?

Hey Paul, check your e-mail. Sent you one last night.

Chad

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

November 27th, Paul.

January 10th, Milo.

Quote Originally Posted by cs View Post
    Hey Paul, check your e-mail. Sent you one last night.

Chad
    got it... I'll catch up with you tomorrow.

Okay. I guess you are getting ready to turn over to ESPN2 and watch the game. So far so good.

Chad

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

A morning of fishing,, two quality football games in the afternoon, and now short track bumper cars, a trifecta for sure. Michigan got lucky though...
    Happy trails to you.

BTW this is not New Mexico. TN already has 198 yards of offensive. The game ain't over by a long shot, but it is a game.

Chad

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

Too bad TN forgot to come out of the locker room after halftime.

Chad

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

It's going to be an interesting year. The FSU alumni had a sleepless night, "What are we gonna do now?" Tennessee, VT, Georgia,GT, Miami have the blues. Meanwhile David G must have a big smile and happyface. USC looks overrated again. And Ok, wow, looks like some Alabama competition. Quite a few question mark teams yet?? Notre Dame maybe should hire another head coach, they can afford it, they are only paying 3 at the present time.
    Last edited by pefjr; 09-12-2010 at 12:47 PM.

Big smile, indeed. Since I was at the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival, I did not watch the Tennessee vs. Oregon game. I have watched some highlights now. But I certainly liked the result! Sounds like it took the Ducks a while to get over the travel time and the awe-inspiring experience of playing in such a large venue. Once they got untracked, though, it was Katie Bar The Door!

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...plosiveoffense

"Only fans in green and yellow remained in Neyland Stadium by the time Oregon was done scoring the most points by a Tennessee opponent there since Florida beat the Vols 59-20 in 2007. It was the most points by a non-conference opponent since Washington State, another Pac-10 school, won 52-24 in 1988."

The Ducks left the Vols in their tracks en route to scoring 45 unanswered points and handing Tennessee its most lopsided loss ever in Neyland Stadium. There’s no shame in losing to the Ducks. They’re a terrific football team with speed everywhere you turn. But as soon as the tide turned in Saturday’s game with Oregon taking an interception back for a touchdown, the Vols wilted.

And what was up with all the fans bailing out early? That did not impress me in the slightest. Are Tennessee fans that fickle? Was it the weather... they melt in rain? Were they so hugely disheartened by such a severe thumping? Seemed quite disrespectful to the Oregon team, and especially their own team. Is this the way SEC fans are? I thought they were supposed to be the epitome of Great Fans????? This really shocked me, and I found myself losing respect for a program I'd had mostly good impressions of in the past.

And then I wondered about the Tennessee team. They just seemed to fold after the Oregon interception that Cliff Harris returned for a TD. Is this the way a SEC team plays - just fold when you get behind?

Oh... and, by the way... how about we start seeing more SEC teams have the guts to come out West to play some of the Pac-10 teams. Tennessee apparently balked at the notion of a home and away pair of games, so Oregon agreed to do the traveling... and still won.

“I was real disappointed from then on with how we competed,” Tennessee coach Derek Dooley said. “You would have thought we were down 40.”

Now... despite all that - the team won that should have won. Except for a green qb (who is playing beyond his years so far), Oregon is a veteran team under a coach who's has a few years now to instill his system. Tennessee did not play as well as I feared, but they didn't do too awful bad for a young team with a new coach. I hope they go on to kick asses all over the place... and make Oregon look good <G>
    Last edited by David G; 09-12-2010 at 08:50 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

After what I saw in the FSU/OK game I would move OK all the way up to #2. Weak schedule working in their favor also. The only game left is with Texas at home. If they get by there ,it's an easy undefeated season. Boise St, TCU, Texas, Ohio St, Neb., also have the easy road to conference championships. Iowa and Alabama currently have five ranked teams left on their schedule, Oregon has four, Florida has three. As tough as Alabama is, their schedule may be tougher and do them in. Looks like fun ahead in College Football.

jr.

As the resident SEC pimp - do you have any response to my questions above?

It certainly will be a fun season. I expect good things from Oregon. But it's so hard to make predictions. That's why they play the games, I guess. But it's also hard not to think ahead.

A week ago, I figured Tennessee would be the toughest game on the Duck's schedule. Now I think maybe the toughest games are gonna be in their Pac-10 schedule. Various folks are projecting them to play in the Rose Bowl against: Boise St.; Ohio State; etc.
    Last edited by David G; 09-14-2010 at 02:50 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    jr.

As the resident SEC pimp - do you have any response to my questions above?

It certainly will be a fun season. I expect good things from Oregon. But it's so hard to make predictions. That's why they play the games, I guess. But it's also hard not to think ahead.

A week ago, I figured Tennessee would be the toughest game on the Duck's schedule. Now I think maybe the toughest games are gonna be in their Pac-10 schedule. Various folks are projecting them to play in the Rose Bowl against: Boise St.; Ohio State; etc.
    The questions about the fold? I watched the game and it turned around in the second quarter and was all Oregon for the duration. I thought it would be tougher too, but Tennessee hasn't experienced a whooping so bad in their stadium in a while. That will be character building and I would not be surprised if they take it out on the gators this weekend. Yeah, it was raining but the game was out of hand and the fans wanted to get dry I guess. Painful for them also. I agree the Pac 10 is good this year and I expect Oregon to have play this good against them all, and not let up. I would rank Oregon 3 or 4 with Boise ST. The really good teams must maintain and work against bad luck, home field advantages, let downs, over confidence , penalties, the ol bounce of the football, etc. to make it to the big one, like Alabama did last year against TN. OK has the best chance to do that this year with the schedule it has. One game left with TX. But upsets come in strange places , ask Hokiefan.

I can almost understand the fans leaving with the rain and traffic and all that. I watched the game till the bitter end, but I was in the comfort of my house on my couch with my beer.

TN played a great game in the first half, but the second half the experiance and depth really showed. TN has little depth and a lot of fresheman this year. The lack of senior leadership on the field really hurt. Nothing against the Ducks, they played a great game and beat us soundly.

Just a few plays turned the game around. The intereception return for a TD and the punt return for a TD. Without the senior leadership the young team didn't know how to get up off the mat and fight back. I also think that if TN had scored a TD on the fumble recovery before the lightning delay it would have been a bit different. It may have still resulted in a loss, but maybe not.

In the first half TN came out playing hard nosed motivated football and was taking it to the Ducks. Like I said those two plays took the wind out of their sails and they didn't know how to respond.

I still feel good about the team and they have a lot to build on from the first half and a lot to learn from the second half. This weekend watch out Gators, maybe we will take some frustration out on them.

Chad

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

All this talk about Oregon and Tennn and Oklahoma and FSU. . . Bahhhhh.

Did no one watch the dominant performance the Buckeyes showed the Hurricanes?

chad - I hope your hopes are fulfilled, and the Vol's go on to have a strong season.

jr. - You're always talking up the SEC.

One question was about the folding of both the players and the fans. The players one can sort of understand. It's a young Tennessee team, and they got smacked hard by a series of big plays. What about the fans? When I see a young team getting shellaced, and the fans, instead of sticking around and supporting these young men, start bailing - it raises doubts about the quality of the whole deal. Do SEC fans only support their teams when they're winning? Or is it just too painful for their self image to get handed their hat by one of those 'wimpy" West Coast teams?

Another question was about the SEC doing some traveling to the West Coast for some non-conference games - instead of consistently scheduling The Aggies of Southeast Cupcake State Baptist College.and suchlike. I understand that they've simply been exploiting the system as it's presently configured. But as more and more people figure out the scam, they're not gonna be allowed to present themselves as the best conference in the U.S. on the strength of beating up on such limp-wristed patsies.

Have you looked at the SEC vs Pac-10 records? Historically, the SEC has won over 60% of the games. Lately, though, the Pac-10 has been better - winning 55% of the games over the last dozen years.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    All this talk about Oregon and Tennn and Oklahoma and FSU. . . Bahhhhh.

Did no one watch the dominant performance the Buckeyes showed the Hurricanes?
    I love it that the... errrr, excuse me.... I meant THE Ohio State Buckeyes... are dominating. It makes Oregon's 26 - 17 loss in last year's Rose Bowl look not quite as bad.

Some of the experts are predicting a Rose Bowl rematch. If Ohio State keeps playing like this, though, they may well be playing for the championship instead.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

chad - I hope your hopes are fulfilled, and the Vol's go on to have a strong season.

jr. - You're always talking up the SEC.

One question was about the folding of both the players and the fans. The players one can sort of understand. It's a young Tennessee team, and they got smacked hard by a series of big plays. What about the fans? When I see a young team getting shellaced, and the fans, instead of sticking around and supporting these young men, start bailing - it raises doubts about the quality of the whole deal. Do SEC fans only support their teams when they're winning? Or is it just too painful for their self image to get handed their hat by one of those 'wimpy" West Coast teams?

Another question was about the SEC doing some traveling to the West Coast for some non-conference games - instead of consistently scheduling The Aggies of Southeast Cupcake State Baptist College.and suchlike. I understand that they've simply been exploiting the system as it's presently configured. But as more and more people figure out the scam, they're not gonna be allowed to present themselves as the best conference in the U.S. on the strength of beating up on such limp-wristed patsies.

Have you looked at the SEC vs Pac-10 records? Historically, the SEC has won over 60% of the games. Lately, though, the Pac-10 has been better - winning 55% of the games over the last dozen years.
    You don't understand that an SEC team could not possibly have an easy schedule. Scheduling is done years before and obviously blind to future rankings. It also takes two to schedule, so get after Oregon to satisfy your choices. Folding? You are rubbing in a victory. Be gracious in winning. I am not concerned about the SEC, let the polls, championships, rankings, bowl appearances and the future speak for itself. When I talk of the SEC I am talking history, I can not predict the future. The Pac 10 is strong this year and the schools are more balanced. USC is not dominating like in the past. Other than that it's too early to tell much except the remaining games favor the teams I mentioned.

Answers interwoven --

Quote Originally Posted by pefjr View Post
    You don't understand that an SEC team could not possibly have an easy schedule.

What are you trying to say here? Because they play in the SEC for their conference games, it's impossible to have any easy schedule no matter how many non-con cupcakes they schedule?

Scheduling is done years before and obviously blind to future rankings.

True enough - for everyone. So... how does that matter? If you make a habit of scheduling schedule Eastern Arkansas Tech Southern, and Little Sisters Of The Lepers Medical School... it's unlikely you'll catch them when they're a top 50 (top 500?) team.

It also takes two to schedule, so get after Oregon to satisfy your choices.

As I said before - as one example, Oregon tried to make it a home and away series with Tennessee, but Tennessee apparently refused. So Oregon traveled to Neyland.

At least LSU has agreed to meet Oregon on a neutral site (yeah, like Texas will be neutral) next year.
    I'd call that a step in the right direction, but still no home and away.

Folding? You are rubbing in a victory. Be gracious in winning.

I am not rubbing it in. I'm wondering - based upon that game - where SEC fans get off calling themselves "The Best Fans Anywhere".

I am not concerned about the SEC, let the polls, championships, rankings, bowl appearances and the future speak for itself. When I talk of the SEC I am talking history, I can not predict the future. The Pac 10 is strong this year and the schools are more balanced. USC is not dominating like in the past. Other than that it's too early to tell much except the remaining games favor the teams I mentioned.

All well and good. I note, however, that you're taking a bit different tone now than earlier. What happened to that noise you used to spout about college football being the SEC... and then everyone else?
    I wonder if you've noticed the same pattern I have? Seems like the more you realize (even if the recognition is only subconscious?) that you've been spouting nonsense... the less coherent your responses become. Happens on the political threads as well.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Answers interwoven --

I wonder if you've noticed the same pattern I have? Seems like the more you realize (even if the recognition is only subconscious?) that you've been spouting nonsense... the less coherent your responses become. Happens on the political threads as well.
    I haven't noticed that but I have noticed that no matter how hard I try to explain the SEC the more you go off on your tangents and the less I am interested in educating you, so therefore the less time and effort I put into the difficult project.

Compare the Oregon schedule with Alabama's, then compare it to TCU, TX.,OK, NEB., and get back to me about easy schedules. You are like a little kid at xmas time when Oregon wins. I am also an Oregon Fan, but I try not to get ahead of the next game. And don't jinx it for me, you know Oregon blew it last year with 3 losses.
    Last edited by pefjr; 09-16-2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: mistake

jr.

You may be right. I'll shut up for while ok that's long enough! <G>
    Last edited by David G; 09-15-2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: spelling... as usual
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Memo to Meeeeechigan deeeefensive coaching staff:

Pass receivers are to be covered by at least one defender in the end zone. This fundamental is not difficult to communicate and even easier to practice in the coming week.

That is all. Michael Shaw carry on.

Edit to add: The look on Rodriguez's face when he said that the defense's practice next week "Won't be pleasant, that's for sure." sort of says it all.
    Last edited by Milo Christensen; 09-18-2010 at 02:31 PM.

Tech won
    UGA lost :/
    Then once by man and angels to be seen,
    In roaring he shall rise and on the surface die.

Quote Originally Posted by OconeePirate View Post
    Tech won
    UGA lost :/
    The REAL Tech won as well !!! GO HOKIES. Man, its nice to say that. Its certainly been a rough start.

And any day the Dawgs lose is a good one in my book.

Cheers,

Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by hokiefan View Post

And any day the Dawgs lose is a good one in my book.

Cheers,

Bobby
    Well, I guess your daughter did not choose Georgia?

Urban Meyer is a genius. 10-10 third quarter, 4th down and Meyer calls for a fake punt deep in gators territory for 39 yd gain. Genie Pur

If he were such a genius the score wouldn't be 10-10 against this Tennessee team. Life is much different for the gators post Tebow.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    If he were such a genius the score wouldn't be 10-10 against this Tennessee team. Life is much different for the gators post Tebow.
    Undefeated not good enough? Actually that's what makes him so good. They were struggling at 10-10 and needed a jump start, and that fake fooled everybody in the stadium and TV audience too.

Pryor is looking good. How do you like this Auburn QB?

Quote Originally Posted by pefjr View Post
    Well, I guess your daughter did not choose Georgia?
    No she didn't. The deal Georgia Southern offered was too good, so she's an Eagle. Home this weekend for the first time since school started and seems pretty happy with the way things are going. Says the classes are going well, time will tell there.

So I can continue my disdain for everything Dawg. Although some of the Gators at work make the Dawgs seem downright appealing.

Cheers,

Bobby

Oregon 69 - 0 over a not very strong, rebuilding, cupcake local school. Ran up a school record rushing total, while not passing much so as to avoid running up the score. Well... at least lots of their backups got some game time. They played everyone who was suited up.

Next up - the Pac-10 schedule. Things will get substantially more interesting.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by hokiefan View Post
    No she didn't. The deal Georgia Southern offered was too good, so she's an Eagle. Home this weekend for the first time since school started and seems pretty happy with the way things are going. Says the classes are going well, time will tell there.

So I can continue my disdain for everything Dawg. Although some of the Gators at work make the Dawgs seem downright appealing.

Cheers,

Bobby
    How are Georgia Southern's tractor driving classes compared to University (sic) of Georgia's?
    Then once by man and angels to be seen,
    In roaring he shall rise and on the surface die.