Page 2 of 89 FirstFirst 1231252 ... LastLast

Thread: Are You Ready For Some... Football?

Default Re: Are You Ready For Some... Football?

Quote Originally Posted by boatbuddha View Post
    You could watch CFL.
    I have watched CFL and, inevitably, Doug Flutie's name will come up, I'll make a wise crack and end up sleeping on the couch. I could also watch baseball, Rays are doing well this year, but I'm such a spoiled baby for football . . . I even tried to watch some World Cup Spottedball this year but I couldn't get excited about that either.

Curtis

Life is short, play with your dog.

Wow, I haven't been keeping up. Just read where Masoli is now at OL Miss? A crime, kicked off the team, re-appears as a graduate student and eligible to play this year at another school. Amazing, something "fishy" about this. More like slimey. What's up David G??, Bama?

Meanwhile, Monday night should be a fun game.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Down in the SEC, when the Ducks do come up in conversation it often has to do with the snazziness of their Nike uniforms; other than that they don't get talked about much.
    Paul,

Truly the uniforms are snazzy and adventuresome. The NIKE connection is a lot of fun. I can only speculate, though, that this level of shallowness says more about the fans of the SEC than about Oregon footall. Going back to 1999, Oregon has finished in the top 20 of the BCS (or AP) final standings 7 out of the 11 years. This includes: #10 in 2000; #4 in 2001; #5 in 2005; and #11 last year.

I wonder how many SEC schools have a comparable record?

If they're not on your radar, your equipment must be defective. Or, perhaps the radar operator is too inbred and provincial to keep a sharp lookout?

I'll admit, though, that Oregon has never played for the championship... let alone won it. A number of SEC teams have. And - overall - the SEC is a better football league than the Pac-10. The SEC is THE premier football league. Over the years, the Big 10, Pac-10 etc. have come close, but never matched the SEC.

Looking forward to the season!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by pefjr View Post
    Wow, I haven't been keeping up. Just read where Masoli is now at OL Miss? A crime, kicked off the team, re-appears as a graduate student and eligible to play this year at another school. Amazing, something "fishy" about this. More like slimey. What's up David G??, Bama?

Meanwhile, Monday night should be a fun game.
    It's too bad about Masoli. He's one of those sad stories. Basically a good kid. Raised in a rough situation. Not much of a father figure, apparently. Keeps getting himself into minor scrapes with the law. Got put on probation by Chip Kelly, and shortly thereafter, f'd up again. Gone.

I honestly hope he lands on his feet... and wises up. I liked the kid. Beyond his football skills, he seemed like a happy, bubbly guy. Tough, but cheerful. I don't know if H.Nutt is the right coach to help him turn his life around. Perhaps one of you suthrun boys can speak further to that?

Too bad for Oregon also. More than one pundit has suggested that - with him aboard as a successful, proven, veteran qb, and with the number of returning starters on both sides of the ball - Oregon would have had a top 5 pre-season ranking, instead of #11 <sigh>.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Not much of a test, but Oregon just hung 72 points on poor ol' New Mexico. Even with the end of the bench playing most of the second half, they couldn't keep from running up the score - even though most of the damage was done in the first half.

They go to Tennessee next week. Even though the Vol's aren't SUPPOSED to be top-notch this year, they're still a sold SEC program with a long history of success. We'll see if the Ducks look so dominant down in kudzu country.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I've been listening to the Vols over the internet and so far so good.

BTW last night at the high school game we were trailing by 42-0 at half and the second half they started the mercy rule and just let the clock run the whole time. We only lost 56-0.

Chad
    There are three ways to do things: The right way, the wrong way and my way.

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

Here's a report from the first half of today's Ducks game. Keep in mind - this is our second string running back:

Oregon's Kenjon Barner On Pace To Score 10 Touchdowns... Today

If you're not keeping tabs on the New Mexico-Oregon game out west, here's all you need to know: Ducks running back Kenjon Barner tied the school record for most touchdowns in a game, with five ... and he did it with 8:51 left in the second quarter.

Oregon is absolutely destroying the Lobos, 59-0, and a big reason why (the only reason?) is Barner. He scored three touchdowns in the first quarter -- a 1-yard run, a 25-yard score and a 10-yard dash to the endzone -- and then added a couple more in the second -- a 42-yard run followed by a 60-yard reception.

During one stretch of the game, Barner scored three touchdowns in 4:45.
    At halftime, Barner has 206 total yards to go along with those aforementioned five scores. Just for good measure, he returned a kick eight yards, too.

I know it's early, but I can't help be be excited. I'm pleased with how the new qb handled himself also.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I guess next week we get to square off against each other.

Chad

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

Chad,

It'll be fun. Truthfully... I expect an Oregon win. But I know Tennessee is no cupcake like New Mexico was. It'll be interesting.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Make sure you don't underestimate playing in Neyland stadium. BTW TN is winning right now in the 3rd quarter 34-0.

Chad

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

Chad,

Is this a Home&Away deal? Is Tennessee coming to Oregon in the future?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I'm not sure. I haven't kept up with the schedule this year much less next year. Sounds like our new coach and new QB is doing pretty good.

Chad

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

Oregon playing any SEC team is gonna be tough, especially an away game. A true test for the Ducks, they can prove themselves with a win.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    seems about right to me
    Michigan's offense looks like it's going to be hard to beat. Defense, well, let's see how much they improve against Notre Dame next week. Michigan is going up in the rankings, way up.

A solid win against UConn....Hell, let's put them in around #19! A top 20 rank should make both ABC and NBC pleased as punch heading into the UM-ND game next week.

No matter, in a few weeks, Greg Jones is going to be given a single task, one that he is more than capable of doing: #16 doesn't cross the line of scrimmage.

1039 and counting...
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

Was hoping LSU would beat UNCheaters like a drum. The big bad SEC team almost choked big-time. Gotta give the UNC #2's credit for not quitting.

Don't worry about Boise, they've never seen a running game like VT's. We have 2 RB's that ran well over a 1000 yards their respective freshmen years. Another RB we moved to Fullback to get him on the same field. He could start for many schools. Then the #3 tailback they hoped to redshirt this year. Had too good a fall camp and could be as good as the first two. Finally a QB who is a great runner as well. The ONLY team with a backfield in the same conversation is Bama with Ingram and Richardson. Yeah, I'm bragging a bit.

And if they put 10 in the box to stop the run (it'll take that many), our QB can through a really nice long ball. He averaged right at 20 yards per reception last year. Drats, its not game day yet.

Cheers,

Bobby

LSU stinks. I mean, really. Take Patterson out of that game and LSU gets sent home wimpering. Ah well. I guess I should be glad an SEC team won, but it was a pretty embarrassing performance.

Jacksonville State beating Ole Miss was epic. The Gamecocks are always made up of kids SEC schools didn't want, so for them to do this was big time. Then again, they led Florida State with about a minute to go last year in T'hassee and won the OVC, so it's not like they can't play.

Best of luck to the Gobblers, tonight. I have a kid who went to Boise St. and somewhere I have a BSU sweatshirt, but I will root for the turkeys in this one, if for no other reason than to support my buddy Bobby's favorite team.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Oh yeah, I expect Oregon to defeat Tennessee by 10 points or so. Derek Dooley is doing things the right way and is building a program in K'ville, but they are without much depth and playing a bunch of kids. This is a good time to catch them.

Mickey Lake

While we are at it, I wanted to post a quote out of the paper of what our high school coach said about his team.

“They flat-out beat us and we’re not a very good football team,” Hixson coach Houston White said. “We’re not tackling well, we’re not blocking up front, we gave up way too many plays and compounded that with personal-foul penalties.”
    Here is the entire article.

And here is an article about our most recent loss.

Chad

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

Quote Originally Posted by hokiefan View Post

Don't worry about Boise, they've never seen a running game like VT's.

How about now? Should you be worried now??

We have 2 RB's that ran well over a 1000 yards their respective freshmen years. Another RB we moved to Fullback to get him on the same field. He could start for many schools. Then the #3 tailback they hoped to redshirt this year. Had too good a fall camp and could be as good as the first two. Finally a QB who is a great runner as well.

Yeah, I'm bragging a bit.

Seems so far those back are going BACKwards

And if they put 10 in the box to stop the run (it'll take that many), our QB can through a really nice long ball. He averaged right at 20 yards per reception last year.

Drats, its not game day yet.

It is now, whats that score again , 17 -0 Boise

Seeded deep in my disgust for the entire BCS system is my desire to see Boise "stick it to the man" so to speak.

That being said, Paul, you posted that way to early (20-14 at the half) and if the Broncos lose, I'm holding you personally responsible.

I do love football.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

Heheh now the Hokies are ahead by 1, 20-21. I bet Hokiefan is breathing a bit easier;-))

What a game!!

What a game, indeed.

Hokies gave the game away in the first quarter, then hustled and executed well to recover... while Boise St. let them. Then Boise St. dug deep, summoned up some stout defence, and pulled it out with some cool, solid execution of their own. Fun to watch. I don't know if B.S. deserved to start the season at #3... but it'd be hard to make a definitive argument otherwise when comparing this game to the starts by other teams ranked close to them.

Looking at it as a Duck fan, it makes me feel a LITTLE less bad about losing to Boise State last year as one of only two regular season losses. This B.S. team is for real, I guess.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Top 120?!!!???!?!
    Just how many friggin' teams are there?!

Nanoose,

Your probably don't want to know <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

There are right at 120 DI (or in the present term, FBS) teams. These are your larger schools or schools who have traditionally played major college football. I don't know how many DI-AA (or FCS) teams there are but it's probably about the same number. Schools like Maine and Montana play DI-AA football.

Boise always impresses when they get the chance. I am sorry for my friend Bobby, but Boise's qb was poised and in control when he needed to be, and Boise is a well coached and pretty disciplined squad. They are absolutely deserving of the respect they have been getting since that amazing Fiesta Bowl win.

Mickey Lake

Looks like scoring 72 points and racking up 720 yards - even against lowly New Mexico, and even with their 2nd & 3rd string guys in for most of the game - will earn Oregon a couple of positions... probably into the top 10. I'm gonna guess the AP puts them at 8 or 9.

OK, I just checked. They've got the Ducks at #7:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ap/?eref=sinav
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I am totally jazzed about the Tennessee game. I imagine it's gonna be a tough one. Tennessee is such a solid program. Their stadium is just HUGE! Their fans are rabid. Looks like the pundits have Oregon winning, but I think it'll be a tough one. Traveling cross-country into that sort of heat, humidity, noise and newness... it'll be a very interesting test. Sounds like Chip Kelly is excited too:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindduc...hip_kel_1.html

The funny thing is - I probably won't see it, except for maybe some highlights. I'll be totally immersed at the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival. Priorities, eh?

Oh... and I just saw that the game with LSU for early next year is firm now.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Lot of good games today, bet there will be some big upsets.

Looking forward to USF Bulls at FL Gators here today.

Life is short, play with your dog.

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    There are right at 120 DI (or in the present term, FBS) teams. These are your larger schools or schools who have traditionally played major college football. I don't know how many DI-AA (or FCS) teams there are but it's probably about the same number. Schools like Maine and Montana play DI-AA football.

Boise always impresses when they get the chance. I am sorry for my friend Bobby, but Boise's qb was poised and in control when he needed to be, and Boise is a well coached and pretty disciplined squad. They are absolutely deserving of the respect they have been getting since that amazing Fiesta Bowl win.

Mickey Lake
    Well that game sucked. Actually it was a great game unless you are a Hokie fan. Boise's run defense is for real. They sold out big time to stop our run, we didn't take full advantage of that in the passing game. We had success there, but not enough to overcome the mistakes we made. Our Special Teams were none too special, the defense looked young and a wee bit ragged. And the Offense played well in general, but gave up the fumble early and couldn't seal the deal late. Overall a team loss. Having said that, I think Boise is a very good team. The only teams I see definitely beating them last Monday night are Bama and Ohio State. There's a bunch that could beat them, but only a select few that definitely will.

And man are we trying to wet the bed today against I-AA JMU. I mean, they are a good team in their division but jeez!!! Hope we get it together in the next 10 minutes.

Cheers,

Bobby

Uggggghhhh!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hokiefan View Post
    Uggggghhhh!!!!!
    Well, that was one upset that is very surprising.

Comeback Joe's kid, Nate, is playing quaterback at Notre Dame. Michigan leads at the half, 21-7. Denard Robinson continues to be a phenomenal quaterback, but Notre Dame is maybe shutting down his passing game as he is 0-6 of his last 6 passes, so he runs for an 87 yard touchdown. Did somebody say some Notre Dame player was supposed to stop Robinson? That was a very scary three touchdown first series by Notre Dame, too bad they could only keep one of them and that their quaterback, Crist, hasn't been able to play since his first series touchdown.