Page 110 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1060100109110111 ... LastLast
Results 3,816 to 3,850 of 3982

Thread: Are You Ready For Some... Football?

Default Re: Are You Ready For Some... Football?

"They don't look like the #11 team to me"

They just pulled ahead of Wazu.

8 minutes left in game, Oregon 36, Wa.St. 22

Oregon 43, Wa.St.29
    Last edited by sonofswen; 11-14-2020 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    COVID is spread by our breath - aerosols, moist breath directed at other people.

Football is a sport when you run into the other person, hit them as hard as you can, and cause them to exhale in your face.

Yes, that's a sport we should be playing now... Dumb@ass all the way!
    I was quite skeptical also. And there have been some college football players get infected. But it doesn't appear that their danger is even as much as the average college student. I'll tentatively say they seem to have figured out some effective strategies for keeping them relatively safe.

Meanwhile... the Duckies sharpened up well in the second half. Showed some real promise. Really impressed with how quickly the young, shiny new, O-line has gelled. All the talent & experience they lost this year... and you barely notice it.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Didn't have time to catch the game, but just watched the Chargers-Jets highlights. Justin Herbert looked sharp. The O-line's pass blocking is still suspect, but the play calls which got it out of his hands QUICK worked ok. Is there anyone else so consistently threading the needle successfully on those tight-window throws? The run-blocking... not so much.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Go Beavers!

Never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Woodward View Post
    Go Beavers!
    How come you're a Beavers fan... you from Oregon?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

No, my sister in law lives there.
    I am not a fan of the Nike ducks.

They are pretty well matched. Both their defenses are equally porous.

They are pretty well matched. Both their defenses are equally porous.
    The Beavs are overmatch, on paper. But they're playing their hearts out, while the Ducks seem a bit complacent. The last two Oregon td's show what they can do when they can buckle down. But they're not gonna impress anyone with an effort like this. D-line seems to be the weak link this year.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Well that was a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    The Beavs are overmatch, on paper. But they're playing their hearts out, while the Ducks seem a bit complacent. The last two Oregon td's show what they can do when they can buckle down. But they're not gonna impress anyone with an effort like this. D-line seems to be the weak link this year.
    That's why they play the game.

Well that was a good game.
    That was an exciting game, for sure. Kudos to the Beavs for pulling it off.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

The Lions tell Matt Patricia, “Eff you!” ...and more importantly, “AND THE HORSE YOU RODE IN ON!!!”

Both, head coach and GM fired.

Christmas came. Little early this year.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

Quote Originally Posted by Beowolf View Post
    The Lions tell Matt Patricia, “Eff you!” ...and more importantly, “AND THE HORSE YOU RODE IN ON!!!”

There's a few NFL teams I'll always root against... for personal reasons.

Philly - because of their embrace of Michael Vick shortly after his dog torture for money episode.

And two others for the way they mishandled... ruined, really... talented young quarterbacks from Oregon.

Tennessee for the way they mangled the career of Marcus Mariota.

And Detroit for their massive front office and coaching ineptitude with Joey Harrington.

I found the Lions hiring of Matt Patricia unsurprising, and his performance equally unsurprising and no better than they deserved. I predict they'll bugger up the next hire as well. I'll even bet you a nickle on it. If they don't... it'll be sheer dumb luck.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

wtf?

beowolf not posting about the spartans today?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Philly - because of their embrace of Michael Vick shortly after his dog torture for money episode.

And two others for the way they mishandled... ruined, really... talented young quarterbacks from Oregon.

And Detroit for their massive front office and coaching ineptitude with Joey Harrington.

I found the Lions hiring of Matt Patricia unsurprising, and his performance equally unsurprising and no better than they deserved. I predict they'll bugger up the next hire as well. I'll even bet you a nickle on it.
    And the Cowboys for their tasteless & incorrect "America's Team" BS.

A mitigating factor on Philly. It was a Philly player who was instrumental is starting up the Ronald MacDonald House concept.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    And the Cowboys for their tasteless & incorrect "America's Team" BS.

A mitigating factor on Philly. It was a Philly player who was instrumental is starting up the Ronald MacDonald House concept.
    Cowboys have never gotten on my radar. I guess I figure - it's Texas. Of course they think they're 'all that'.

I don't care if Philly hires Desmond Tutu as their next GM, and Obama as the coach... by that one act (Vick) they lost me. Likely irrevocably.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

dallas was admirable from a purely competitive standpoint back in the era of aikman, irvin, smith, moose, tuinei, williams, newton, gesek, gogan, larry allen. . .

and that! that's just the offense

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    wtf?

beowolf not posting about the spartans today?
    The game wasn’t over yet

They looked like the team that I thought they’d be this year, which in my mind was good for a 3-5 season. Who knew that level of play would net you 6-2 in the Big10 East this year?

But hey, Paul Bunyan’s home. If sticking um fans in the eye is my only joy this year, so be it.

i'm really surprised they fired patricia

he'll have a new hc job like, tomorrow.

signed,

nobody ever

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    There aren't enough football teams named:

(in ascending, or descending order)

(I'm looking at you, Redskins)

Owls
    Newts
    Avocados
    Frizz
    San Antonio Bros.
    Ignatius
    Palo Altos
    Chinook
    Banana Slugs
    Ling Cod
    Beavers
    Sea Cucumbers
    Platypus
    Shad
    Puggles
    Coho
    Aardvarks
    Octopusses
    Kelp
    Razor Clams
    Marmots
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I found the Lions hiring of Matt Patricia unsurprising, and his performance equally unsurprising and no better than they deserved. I predict they'll bugger up the next hire as well. I'll even bet you a nickle on it. If they don't... it'll be sheer dumb luck.
    My cousin played college baseball with a high school buddy of Harrington. Spent a summer out west working with him and spent an evening at the bar with Joey and a fourth individual. At one point in the night, he mentions that he’s from Michigan, grew up a Lions fan, and asks him what he thought of that year’s draft picks.

Without making eye contact, Joey says it’s his off-season and my cousin isn’t the press. Never says a word to him the rest of the evening.

1.35 seconds to get rid of the ball may not be a recipe for success, but Harrington’s a dick.

My cousin played college baseball with a high school buddy of Harrington. Spent a summer out west working with him and spent an evening at the bar with Joey and a fourth individual. At one point in the night, he mentions that he’s from Michigan, grew up a Lions fan, and asks him what he thought of that year’s draft picks.

Without making eye contact, Joey says it’s his off-season and my cousin isn’t the press. Never says a word to him the rest of the evening.

1.35 seconds to get rid of the ball may not be a recipe for success, but Harrington’s a dick.
    Seems like a harsh judgement to make based upon the hearsay about one incident... wouldn't you say? Is there something else going on that would cause you to jump so salty?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Hearsay for you. A first person accounting for me.

I grew up with my cousin. He’s a soft-spoken and overall pleasant person.

But hey, it’s cool. I know how much it stings your fingers to type acknowledgement that runs counter to your notions.

Hearsay for you. A first person accounting for me.

I grew up with my cousin. He’s a soft-spoken and overall pleasant person.

But hey, it’s cool. I know how much it stings your fingers to type acknowledgement that runs counter to your notions.
    Well, you're right that I do have my own impressions. I watched Harrington play for his entire career. So I probably have more data than your cousin.

But I also him my own personal but brief contact with Joey. I was involved with a local non-profit aimed at reducing youth incarceration/recidivism. Harrington heard about a small event and contacted us, volunteering to attend. He showed up, spoke briefly, made a donation, and hung around to play piano with some of the kids. Later - he promoted our group on his own Harrington Family Foundation website. Based upon MY glancing contact with him... I'd say he's a prince.

Which of us is correct?

Perhaps your cousin & I could more accurately say, "FWIW, he acted like a [prince/dick] during my one brief contact with him."

Oh... and your telling of your cousin's account of an event you were not present for IS second-hand, while mine is first-hand. See the difference.

So I'll ask again -- was there something else going on that made you jump so salty? Seems extreme. Did you already dislike Harrington for some reason? Were you offended by my characterization of Detroit's handling of him? Not enough fiber in your diet? Something else???

And even if your judgement of Harrington were correct (there certainly are plenty of NFL stars who are full of themselves)... then what? Are you somehow attempting to argue that Detroit didn't bungle his tenure there?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Meantime... I'm watching another Oregon qb today. Justin Herbert continues to look solid. But the team around him is not doing well. Too many drops. Too little defense. Stupid clock management. I've heard plenty of calls for firing the head coach, and have mostly put it down to the typical reaction to a losing streak more than careful analysis. But today they are looking more than ever like a team in disarray. Maybe is does come down to coaching...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Are you somehow attempting to argue that Detroit didn't bungle his tenure there?
    i think he's saying, quite simply, that he's not a harrington fan

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    i think he's saying, quite simply, that he's not a harrington fan
    Nothing wrong with that. His right and his privilege. As it is his right to form judgements about people based upon scant evidence.

But if he's going to attempt to present that judgement here as FACT (Joey IS a d**k), he's liable to get challenged. As he did.

I'd do they same if he made the same statement - based upon scant evidence - about you. Even if your darling wife supported his assertion... though her I wouldn't challenge, just bow to her expertise <G>. I would question whether he knew enough about you to form such a firm, final, and harsh edict. And he probably knows more about you than about Harrington.

Not being a fan based upon one story legitimately allows him to say, 'I'm not a Pless fan'. It does not allow for him to blithely, and without repercussion, say, 'Pless IS a c***s***er'.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Tried to watch the Chargers game, to see Justin Herbert operate. Couldn't do it. The Chargers are just so cringe-worthy I switch over to the Seattle game.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Yikes... another horror show. Nice to see Seattle running away with it, but the Jets are amazingly bad. I never thought Sam Darnold would be a franchise qb... but I'm sure he could do better than this with some talent around him.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Well... it's been a weird year in college fb, for sure. And I'm not fan of USC. But Plaschke has a point --

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/s...l-championship
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Clemson putting the hurt on Notre Dame.

Clemson putting the hurt on Notre Dame.
    Notre Dame is another of those 'entitlement' programs. Kinda like USC. Seems like they seldom turn out to be as good as the 'should' be - by the level of recruiting, by the coaching salaries, by the media hype, and by the pre-season rankings overestimates.

It has been such a strange year. My Ducks stumbled and lost a couple. Not surprising... they're in a bit of a transition year - after losing their ace qb, and a ton of their o-line and d-backs. But because of CV19, they back into the title game against a 5-0 USC team... and beat them by a touchdown. YMCTSU...

Hopefully, next season will be a bit more 'orderly' and normal.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

ND looked ligit in their first game against Clemson and beat them. But Trevor Lawrence makes all the difference. Clemson is tuned up and running on all cylinders this afternoon.