Thread: 90% ?!?

Default 90% ?!?

Really? Only one in ten eat their veggies? I would have thought it would be about 50%. I guess people I know are exceptions.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022...diet-exercise/

Specifically, just 10 percent of Americans eat enough vegetables, and only 12 percent eat enough fruit, according to recent responses to the CDC's survey, the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance system. Recent responses also reveal that 25 percent of Americans don't do any exercise outside of any work activity.

Default Re: 90% ?!?

I can easily go a week without eating any vegetables except avocado. They are a pain in the ass to prepare, and I'm totally finished with cooking. If I eat out, I eat styles of food that feature meat, cheese and bread.

Fruit, on the other hand, is much more regular in my diet, including fruit juices.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Veggies, raw, every day, hardcore. Works great for arthritis.

I make it a point to eat fruits and veggies every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Fruit is the junk food of the veggie kingdom. (chuckle)

...25 percent of Americans don't do any exercise outside of any work activity.
    It all depends of the work activity. Personally, considering the kind and amount of physical work I do every day it would be dumb to go to a gym and pay to lift weight or walk on a treadmill.

I remember working in the furniture mill, one day working with another guy, lifting full size sheets of half inch oak faced ply from the factory floor to the loft overhead where the guys assembled large bookcases, and between sheets he asked me, with a grin, after we'd done a stack about three feet tall, if I was going to the gym after work, to lift weights. We had a good chuckle. Then we went out to the gravel employee parking lot for the ten minute smoke break. How many people actually do physical work at their work place?

I feel guilty when I'm too tired to add a green salad to the fish and yam dinner.

BTW, doing the exercise part of the eat right and exercise regime for weight loss isn't just a matter of burning calories. When you exercise it changes how your appetite gets signaled from your digestive system to your brain. Sitting and munching snacks from a box makes that system work to keep you from sending fasting signals and making your belly bigger in order to survive.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Fruit is the junk food of the veggie kingdom. (chuckle)
    Nope. Not at all.

While a bachelor, I ate no veggies or fruit and my father swore I was going to die from scurvy.
    To this day, my wife has to sprinkle a bit of grated cheese or bread crumbs on cauliflower and broccoli when she bakes it in the oven in order for me to choke it down. Carrots are OK but boring. All the taste-bud excitement as munching on grass.
    Fruit is pretty much the same way. Bananas and grapes are the only fruit that registers as food to my brain.
    I'm strictly a meat and potatoes man.
    On a strict diet right now to lose 30 lbs., I'm in a tough way.
    I've lost 9 lbs. in the last 2 weeks, but it ain't easy.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    While a bachelor, I ate no veggies or fruit and my father swore I was going to die from scurvy.
    To this day, my wife has to sprinkle a bit of grated cheese or bread crumbs on cauliflower and broccoli when she bakes it in the oven in order for me to choke it down. Carrots are OK but boring. All the taste-bud excitement as munching on grass.
    Fruit is pretty much the same way. Bananas and grapes are the only fruit that registers as food to my brain.
    I'm strictly a meat and potatoes man.
    On a strict diet right now to lose 30 lbs., I'm in a tough way.
    I've lost 9 lbs. in the last 2 weeks, but it ain't easy.
    Doing the exercise regimen hard will make you actually want the fruit and veggies. And the fiber content of the garden stuff is good for your cardiac muscle and circulation as well as your bowel. And you'll feel better when you don't have to lug around an extra thirty pounds of cheese and meat and breadcrumbs. Said the guy having an early breakfast of almonds and walnuts and oranges. With a side of aspirin.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Fruit goes in the blender...not in the oven
    Veggies go in the juicer, not a pan of boiling water
    Threads about sick people , meat smokers, meat grilling and BBQing, Rx drugs for normal living, bread baking, noodle making,knee replacement, weight jumping up and down....would be fewer and shorter if eating for health was a thing .

I think the key word there is 'enough'.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

there's a reason why the North American diet results in so much gastrointestinal disease. Veggies are important sources of micronutrients, and the fiber goes a long, long ways towards reducing the incidence of diverticulitis, etc etc. Meat and starchy carbs are great, but our bodies evolved to graze on a bit of anything edible we walked past as well as anything we could catch or hunt. We're healthier if we still do that.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Lot of veggies, salad, fruit. Mostly raw. Haven't eaten cow or pig in decades. Very little grain. Small wonder there's so many sick people.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

we've got 3 kids who've been vegetarian for years, or mostly. While herself and I still eat meat, the center of the diet is plant based.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Small wonder there's so many sick and large round people.
    Putting a fine point on it.

Pounding the stuff that tends to make you large and unhealthy makes you crave pounding that stuff and couching more. Viscous cycle. Like maple syrup in winter. There's a reason the advertisers for the big game don't show folks drinking fizzy water and eating carrots. LIkewise MickyD's, you won't subconsciously want to come back so much if they don't specialize in sugary drinks to go with the meat-cheeze-and-bun.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

obesity is a sign of malnourishment ...a big one
    sickness too

You'll have to pry that bacon cheeseburger from my cold dead hands.

Yeah, yeah... now you'll tell me that bacon cheeseburgers will lead me to having
    cold dead hands....

I'm on a good diet now, eating right and losing weight.
    The real hard part will be keeping it off.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

We eat greens every dinner, period.

And, typically, we do oatmeal for breakfast M-F and eggs and toast Sat & Sun.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Don't believe Republican lies.

MacDonalds. I eat these maybe once every two months. Immediately afterwards I feel awful. Too much salt, too much processed cr4p, washed down with fizzy crud. I feel full, but I don't feel fed. I also feel ripped-off. And there are people who live on this sort of $h1t?

My fridge always has a jar of my secret saviour in it: sauerkraut. Big dollop on a sandwich, huge pile next to whatever-else-on-a-plate. Awesome stuff.

Vegetables: these are my pals. All are good. Broccoli, cauliflower, parsnips, swede, green beans - I love those ten minutes with a scraper and/or knife getting these guys ready to pop into a saucepan of water. It's wind-down time from work, the radio on, a glass of red: cooking is definitely up there with my favourite activities. Not least, I suspect, because of that decade I spent doing TV OBs where I was basically eating takeaways for a week or two. Getting home and, as importantly, cooking, was a decisive return to normality.

Fruit? I'll admit I don't eat enough. I don't seem to have a sweet tooth anymore. An apple is a chore. A banana, pointless. I like the wrestle you get with a fresh pineapple, but the rest of the family aren't keen on 'em, and a half kilo of pineapple is too much for me!

Cheese? Food of the gods. Nuts? Bring 'em on.

Andy, 5'11 and a half" and (umm, what's 70kg?) 154lbs.
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."