Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 years on the Woodenboat forum, Waione to Riada....

Default Re: 10 years on the Woodenboat forum, Waione to Riada....

Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane, Johnno. A great ten-year photographic history.

As to when the Forum started, I'm not sure now. But I am sure my 'join' date was about 1998 (earlier than it now says,) and equally sure that join dates and numbers got well and truly muxed ip in the last-but-one Great Forum Meltdown. (The only constant is change, isn't it?)

And so you didn't get that boathook when I floated it past you? And I even told you in advance when it was coming. Butter-fingers....

Lots of good people on here, some regrettably now sailing other-world seas. I think Norm was the first person to reply to my first post, way back whenever-it-was. Ian McC chimed in too, I remember. (It was a question about a balance reef, which was something I'd read about but had no experience of.) And ever since, when I've asked questions here, arcane or otherwise, they've always been answered. What a wonderful resource the Forum is.

Threads like this one serve to remind us just how wonderful. Thanks, mate.

I'm told the variety of flying fish we have here is about as large as they get.. that right Chuck?

Your girl reminds me of my youngest Lee...
    My penn reel looks just like yours (black though)but the rod is a big thick ole fibreglass thing.. I lost a favourite Rapala on a Kingfish at christmas . My mate had seen them just off the beach so I dinghy trolled through them and hooked up straight away. Then I had the outboard/ drag/trip over the thwart fumble and the thing took it to the rocks and bust me off. I was in a bad mood the rest of the day and didn't cheer up until the evening walk, when I found a fresh solar shower just a lyin there on the beach.

Got to be just about the longest running joke on the wbf hasn't it Mike.. even if its just between you and me.

Yup, John...that's about it.....clean 'em, some olive oil and crushed garlic, and on the grill. I had a pair of Ocelots that were raised from kittens and they loved those fish....They would sit and finish the "leftovers" after cleaning, then sit and wait, then beg, one on either side of me. They would get more than me. Very good times.
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Thanks John

Brings back memories , we raised 2 boys and 2 girls and there critters on Olinka .

That is a big flying fish. Interestingly when I did the transat in the motor boat we got bigger flying fish than I'm used to with a sailing boat, but still 3/4 of the size of that specimen

Since you always send such great pictures, I always try doubly hard when I see something interesting!

All the best for the next ten John.
    Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy a boat that will pull right up next to it!

Well........I sprung for a new Nikon camera with all the bells and whistles, 12.8 mgapixels, and an Ikelight case to keep it dry to 350 feet down, need something to tke piktooor for ebay
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un

Cheers Paul, and thanks Grant, same to you too.. You're out the other end then Ramillet.. we've got one who's dropped off a bit last year.
    Chuck , my cameras are a bit of a laugh. My first one I used here was a 2.1 megapixel Canon ixus , second a 3.2 and now I'm up to the dizzy heights of something with 7 init.

Now , I am not a photographer.. I live in awe of people like Emily or pretty well any of our local marine photographers who can go out day in day out and capture the magic. I don't have the passion. Digital means you can point and shoot though, and sometimes catch something by accident almost.

I particularly like this shot ,again from about 2001.

she just plain doesn't go much faster than that on that point of sail.
    Last edited by John B; 08-08-2010 at 12:09 AM.

I have a photo somewhat like that taken in the North Sea....freezing my fanny off......nice photo by the way.
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un

Excellent stuff as usual John. Looking forward to the next ten years. your input on the forum, and your support on the water is greatly appreciated.
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I particularly like this shot ,again from about 2001.
    I'm glad you posted that, John, because it allows me to confess that it sat above my desk as inspiration for some years until I had my own similar photo to replace it. Inspiration is something you do particularly well. Keep it up.

Thanks Chuck and Daniel.

You must have been lurking for a long time then Patrick? I'm currently thinking 2002 for that particular snap. Steve H used that photo as a mahurangi yearbook cover but I seem to have mislaid my copy to look for the year. How he got an A4 magazine cover that looks reasonable out of a 2.1 megapixel photo is still a source of amazement to me...

I always enjoy your posts and your photos John-you seem to enjoy your boat so well. I always seem to want to be doing what you are doing, but so often it seems the weather is wrong, or something on the boat needs fixing, or other things get in the way. I bet you have all that too-but you take it in such good humour and get on with the good stuff. You seem to have a great attitude. I'm envious.
    Phil
    PS-I joined the WBF when I was living in PNG, 1998 I think, so its been around at least since then. That was before the bilge was invented-I even remember a sweep being run on exactly when misc non boat related would overtake misc boat related for total posts. So long ago!

PPS:1-2 months on the hard very year. That does make me feel better. I always try to keep it to a week max. And then keep up with maintenance and upgrades that can be done while afloat through the year. Maybe I need to spend more time on the hard each year getting everything tickety boo?
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I joined the WBF when I was living in PNG, 1998 I think, so its been around at least since then. That was before the bilge was invented-I even remember a sweep being run on exactly when misc non boat related would overtake misc boat related for total posts. So long ago!
    Yes, I certainly remember that too, Phil. In fact, I seem to remember Misc existing only in its own right, before it was even split into Misc Boat and Misc Non-Boat. So I reckon that helps confirm me in my thoughts that I too joined in 1998 (or maybe even earlier.)

Ah, the good old days....

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

I definitely recall the bilge split off as well. Phil did you have a different log in back in then?( of course you did.. was it just Phil?)
    Yeah Waione lived on a swing mooring when we had no motor and there was always a project to get ahead as well as the maintenance so she needed that long hardstand time. She needed painting every year top to bottom. There were rig projects , a motor in in about 1995, numerous mini refits of bunks/ galley head areas etc. A deck and cockpit rebuild/ refurb in the early 90's( workshop for that). Endless work. The pile moorings cut down wear and tear dramatically and the last 2 years she was in on a marina ,.... that was just a revelation.
    Riada is on a marina so most of the maintenance work except bottom work gets dealt to there. I've only hauled her twice though and that was 1 week the first time ( cheapest haul in 25 years) and recently about 2 weeks because I found a problem with a skin fitting.

pretty much as we bought the boat

how she ended up for comparison

doghouse off and new cockpit

another in the workshop early 90's with my 39 coupe( I always wanted one of those.)

Last edited by John B; 08-09-2010 at 02:52 PM.

One of 'the rig projects'

involuntarily.

jury rigging at Great barrier

Last edited by John B; 08-09-2010 at 02:54 PM.

lifting the jury rig in.. a glass Mobjack to stbd and Lidgard Regardless to Port

In one of those funny little quirks, I forgot the name of the Regardless. A couple of years ago I realised that it was Destination , a boat subsequently bought by my good sailing friends and a boat which lives literally right next door to Riada right now, this minute.I'd sailed hundreds of miles beside it , on it , raced the coastal classic on it .....

Certainly lotsa work there over the years John. I'm interested in your comments re swing vs pile vs marina berth. I understand you to be saying a pile mooring meant a lot less wear and tear than a swing mooring. Why is that? Marina berth I reckon is slightly harder on the boat, but more than made for by ease of access? A penny for your thoughts/experience on all 3. (And yes I think I'm in my 3rd re-incarnation now. I got struck off once, I think for making an offensive comment about Bill Clinton, and once I just forgot my password and changed my email all at the same time so had to start again.)
    Phil

Moorings?.. its the old cost benefit sum I guess Phil. The swing mooring was exposed to a wind direction which would typically bring long periods of good weather and short periods of violent. So a lot of physical strain on the boat and more on my brain.
    The pile mooring meant she was behind a breakwater wall and although it meant one prevailing weather side, there was so much less movement that she was secure and safe and that translated as less wear and tear generally too. Moving to a marina berth was a leap up on that however, where not only was the topsides paint longer lasting but the antifoul life was radically extended. To me now , looking back, I would say that the premium on the marina berth would have paid good dividends in fewer paint jobs and endlessly better peace of mind. So the cost of the berth is mitigated by not only access but a kind of self underwriting/ insurance factor as well as a true physically better environment.

Where has the time gone!? My God,10 years.......wow.....I'm reminded of my horrible years lurking and lusting at all the fine boats here but especially your posts John! They always appeared to arrive just as we were being seduced by the still arctic embrace of another lovely snow filled frozen winter up here. I(we) would then be showered with some glorious warm and wet sailing pictures and not a spot of ice anywhere except for perhaps in large glasses. My gf continues to remark how good I look in green while showing her your posts.......

Continued happiness and fun on the water Mr.Bertenshaw!

Cheers!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Bertenshaw? BERTENSHAW? My god, now I know why he calls himself just John B.

Yer a bit slow there Mike, I even have an alternative log under my full name.. back when we were all going through that phase.

Waal Peter me old mate, the whale ( metaphorically speaking of course) of the wooden boat forum himself, I'm pleased to hear you like em.

PS , the hat will be unshrined in a month or two .. ready again for another season of boating and questions about polar bears .Also , in an almost mystical way, self adhesive random orbital sandpaper discs folded in half seems to be appearing all around the place.Dang things are breeding.

I akshly remembered that quite well, smatterofact. Along with your disparaging comments on your surname (the reasons for which I've never understood, BTW.) Got to have a dig at our mates occasionally though, don't we, broomstick-user?

I'm going to whittle 'Proudly made by Wooden Boat Fittings' on that broomstick boathook just for you Mike. I hope I don't scratch it when I'm doing it because that silver grey patina takes a lot of time to acheive.
    Last edited by John B; 08-10-2010 at 06:26 PM.

[/QUOTE]
    Don't know if this is the best place to put this but I will anyway.

This is my brother Terry (he passed away as a result of an accident in 1984) on his Commercial Fishing boat in the BOI.
    This was the boat we were on rounding Cape Brett.

Johnno -- don't even think about it, mate. Send it over here and I'll have it gold-leafed for you. (And you might even get a free turks head or two if you're lucky.)

Robbie -- sorry to hear about your brother. I'm guessing that BOI is the Bay of Islands, but can you tell this Iggerant Aussie where is Cape Brett please?

Mike

I'm sorry to hear about your brother too Robbie, thanks for putting the photo up.

Mike , this a google earth thingy I did for one of my race threads going back ...

Brett is the turning point up top

this one its Brett out to the right of the pic and the Bay of Islands.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Boat Fittings View Post
    Johnno -- don't even think about it, mate. Send it over here and I'll have it gold-leafed for you. (And you might even get a free turks head or two if you're lucky.)

Robbie -- sorry to hear about your brother. I'm guessing that BOI is the Bay of Islands, but can you tell this Iggerant Aussie where is Cape Brett please?

Mike
    Mike, I should lut the Kiwi's answer thut but they mist be still asleep, you may have heard of ut as where The Hole in the Rock is, ut's out a but from the Bay of Islands, I don't thunk Cape Brett is actually the hole in the rock but ut's the peninsula that runs out to ut:

Edited to add - oh they are awake - 'mornin' John.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I like this image best. Many more years of happy sailing John.

JD

Senior Ole Salt # 650

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post

Edited to add - oh they are awake - 'mornin' John.

Giddye myte.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Dillon View Post
    I like this image best. Many more years of happy sailing John.

JD
    and the same to you Jack , hows the sailing been for you this season so far?

I get out pretty often, if not aboard Carrianne,( 80 Hours so far this season) or on friends boats. I expect to sail a Rhodes 19 this week end in the Great South bay LI NY.

My dermatologist loves it.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650