Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 years on the Woodenboat forum, Waione to Riada....

Default Re: 10 years on the Woodenboat forum, Waione to Riada....

The cotton? Great Braam, its set in west system like glass and gets a coat of varnish every year or two for the UV.

Yeah Steven it is great memories , I'm really enjoying just going back looking and remembering the events around the photo. I always love seeing you and your kids out on your boat, it triggers similar moments for me. Our kids are a fair age match eh ,and the baby is always the baby..LOL.

Ah, John. Gets me a little choked up. Who can look at such photos and not think of how they have been blessed in their lives?

Sincerely, old friend. Thank you for sharing a part of your life with us.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

John, always a pleasure to read your posts, and share in the pictures of your family, and your boats... Congratulations on ten years!!!

Funny, I guess it seemed like yesterday I joined but... eight years has passed. Wow. I wonder what that is in varnish years.

It certainly helps looking back when times aren't so good doesn't it. I find that as I get older I have less tolerance for doing what I don't want to do and right now ,winter is what I don't want to do.
    Well we are old friends by now ain't we Mickey, its always a pleasure to read what you're up to and planning to do with your boats. I still reckon you work too hard though.

And your threads Peter, Dove and the big boats. That restoration thread is a monster of great technical information.. I love it.

Thanks John... my favourites of yours are always the great pics when we are in the dead of winter......
    I remember those dinghies.... amazing how quickly kids grow up.... a snap of your fingers and they are on the edge of adulthood.

Here's a few more favourite pics from the early 2000's

I think Joe used this pic in amongst the youtube slideshow after Davids death

I was really pleased about that.

The beehive , a favourite little drop in spot. looks like I have a reef in from the sail a day or so before.

and tucked away in the Mansion house bay with a hard souwester blowing through

It was a day like that, that I first saw Riada sailing through like it was a walk in the park.

Brilliant.

Thanks John...........I always enjoy the photos you post
    Regards
    Robbie

A relative newbie, I, but you were the first one to reply to my post looking for pictures of fancywork aboard vessels, IIRC. The pics from the chopper are just SOOO good, they make me queasy. (Well, a bloody bathtub makes ME queasy, but let's not go there.)

Despite that, I still like you.

Ian , everytime I look at my miserably horrible excuses for lazyjacks I think , I wonder when Ian mC is going to show us a picture of his so I can do a proper job.

I was thinking of you today Robbie, I was driving past a fishing store and the brain started making notes about flys and traces tied onto a sender hook/sinker so I can catch one of those damn small mouthed schoolfish.

Well Vince I certainly could do with some of your work around my boats.. I haven't the patience or the knowledge unfortunately. Still, as an example of what I was referring to earlier about the forum influencing me.. I have been known to take on some small sewing or whipping work.. hell Vince does all that so at least I can surely do this.
    Last edited by John B; 08-04-2010 at 10:18 PM.

There is a pic, but I've been meaning to make some more so ---- coming soon.

Excellent, I look forward to it.

Don't be fooled everyone, this is not Nu Zillund (New Zealand to those who aren't familiar with the dialect), these are obviously somewhere else or are very cunningly digitally enhanced. As we all know, Nu Zilland is a cold, grey miserable place with persistent rain and drizzle and grumpy, pale inhabitants.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Funny you should say that Larks! I was just thinking that we need more 'weather' to balance out the view, so much of our sailing is in 20 or 30 knots or more, often it pours and we get a subtropical storm or two go through ( especially in the month we go away in late dec/ jan).
    This sequence was photographed by my friends on Contour.. maybe 30 knots and lumpy as all heck.. hard work . It was just off Tutukaka harbour in an easterly which had come up fresh.. Tut's is open to the east and at only 200 m or so wide at the entrance , pretty fraught!

hey it worked!.. clickable thumbs...

that night though was lovely

Last edited by John B; 08-05-2010 at 01:54 AM.

and one on Riada..

I tell you why I include that. My good friend Mike and his daughter and myself 'delivered' the boat north where they jumped ship and I picked up my family. I loved the sail, double reefed and only a bit of jib unfurled but we shouldn't have gone. It was way too rough and very hard work in Riada and thats saying something. However we'd sucumbed to the dreaded 'sailing to a schedule'.
    One more day it would have been a lovely sail , that day the poor little thing threw up the whole way.
    Last edited by John B; 08-05-2010 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    and one on Riada..
    SEE!!!! Pre cunning digital enhancement!! Don't go there, you'll hate it!!
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

and one on Riada..

I tell you why I include that. My good friend Mike and his daughter and myself 'delivered' the boat north where they jumped ship and I picked up my family. I loved the sail, double reefed and only a bit of jib unfurled but we shouldn't have gone. It was way too rough and very hard work in Riada and thats saying something. However we'd sucumbed to the dreaded 'sailing to a schedule'.
    One more day it would have been a lovely sail , that day the poor little thing threw up the whole way.
    For those that don't know this is approaching Cape Brett from the south and that is Piercy Island/Hole in the Rock ahead.
    The roughest weather I have been in was in this area in 1982 with my brother Terry who was a commercial fisherman operating out of Opua.
    We were in his 28 ft Launch coming back from a Hapuka trip out deep and got called up to get back due to the deteriorating weather.
    Anyway the swell out of the NE was breaking above the "Hole" and onto the grass above the cliffs below the Lighthouse.
    We followed a large US yacht in that had been damaged in the storm and water had got below so the motor was running rough and they were afraid it would cutout.....but it didn't.
    As we both crossed the swells we actually lost sight of the light on the top of their mast.
    I don't usually get sick at sea but that trip went from feeling so bad that I was scared I might Die to feeling scared that I wouldn't.
    Only got into calm water as we came round Tapeka point and up the channel to Opua.
    I don't want to be out in seas that rough again.

Has it really been just 10years???

I don't even remember when I first had a look on these pages, what I do remember though is the expert knowledge I stumbled across here. And I remotely seem to remember that it was you who gave me the best information how I should design/set up a Topsail for SIONNACHAN.

I have met Andrew twice and we sailed together and I am sure we both would have met as well, if, well if we were not living so far apart.
    This leaves us at looking at each others summer pics, always with a little feeling of envy, because we are posting summer sailing pics, while the other one is sitting in front of his screen freezing and living a worthless winter-sailing-free time

Everyone tells me that NZ is the place to see (just 2 weeks ago a friend of my wife came back from an around-the-world trip and guess which place she liked most...) and perhaps I will someday find the time/money to get there. In that case (I am sorry) I will definitely get on your nerves until you agree to take me sailing *

*all I can offer in return is a trip on the comparatively boring BalticSea/Flensburg Bay

Thanks for the Journey John, I've enjoyed your photos very much.

(Have you seen my thread re a very sad Logan 30 rater?)

What a great celebration of the years past and heres to the years future...
    Thank you John for the walk down memory lane.

DG
    "The desire to build a house is the tired wish of a man content thenceforward with a single anchorage. The desire to build a boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final resting place." -Arthur Ransome

Thanks for the memories, John. I always enjoy your postings....pretty soon you have to start a new generation of crew.
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Wonderful thread John, thanks for posting the old photos, it's good to see them again.
    Yachting, the only sport where you get to be a mechanic, electrician, plumber and carpenter

Thanks, John, for a nice look back.

'Are you sure these people are OK?'
    'Ewwww, did I make a mistake...'

"Congress doesn't regulate Wall Street, Wall Street regulates Congress."

MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants

I'd definitely take you sailing Martin, you never know .. one day we might even make Flensburg (going by boeing).
    Thanks Tom, David ,Jeff, my pleasure.
    Chuck , you're one of the first people I spoke to here and I often think of you and your adventurous life like many here do. New generation eh( yes I saw that comment earlier too)... That'd be nice but not till they've moved out and we've sold the house and moved into an apartment too small for guests LOL.

Thanks for the background on Cape Brett there Robbie. You certainly learn a bit about boating when you round a cape eh. They all have a confluence of some sort going on . We've gone around there usually between the island and the cape, many times. One midnight racing we lost the wind as you do and were being backed down onto Piercy by a small swell. The torches were out big time.
    Another time in Waione we rounded the island in 10 or 12 knots , the sea breeze turned off like a tap and we were being shunted down onto the coast by the leftover 3 or 5 ft swell from the wind the day before...
    No motor , no wind .... I did. not. like . that.

Ed! What a buzz that was meeting you guys.( looking for a photo)

I think this shot is from that day...

ah yes...

great day , shame we didn't win, but still a great day.
    kinda loaded to the gunwhales.
    Last edited by John B; 08-05-2010 at 03:49 PM.

Can you believe that .. 10 years...
    Funny how it happens.

This is my son just 6 years ago, the spring after I joined the WBF:

And only yesterday on our way out for tuna. At 12 he is my height and what I ought to weigh...

Thanks for the kind and keen good humor all these years, John B.

A fine looking young man he is too Lee. I know all too well what you mean about 'ought' too. .

Did you get some Tuna?.. being the lousy fisherman I am every fish we catch is a great source of wonder.. mostly we pick up little uns like Skipjack and occasionally an albacore trolling to a destination. Snapper and kahawai with occasional Kingfish when we're seriously trying to fish. 3 barracouta this year , which is odd.

I'm seriously lusting after a decent boat rod and reel this year.. a lever drag shimano tld25 maybe.. BIL reckons it should be smaller.. tld 15 but I dunno, I need the help I reckon.

Last edited by John B; 08-06-2010 at 06:22 PM.

They're on the old computer, but more than a few of the above pictures are saved to my hard drive. In fact, I have a whole Waione folder

My favorite though is the kids in the cockpit in a damp cold rain all sporting looks of utter misery and dejectment. I believe your caption was "Thanks for taking us sailing Dad."

Here's to ten more years!

Cheers!

-M

Ah yes here we go.. those are 2010 fush.

These are 2001 fish, caught upon the dreaded Fork lure and Pink clothes Peg lure..

there's a dinner knife lure as well... I still sometimes throw them over just to see although I've proved my point.. I can catch fish with my knife and fork... or the clothes peg.
    Last edited by John B; 08-06-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Concordia...41 View Post
    In fact, I have a whole Waione folder
    me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Concordia...41 View Post
    They're on the old computer, but more than a few of the above pictures are saved to my hard drive. In fact, I have a whole Waione folder

My favorite though is the kids in the cockpit in a damp cold rain all sporting looks of utter misery and dejectment. I believe your caption was "Thanks for taking us sailing Dad."

Here's to ten more years!

Cheers!
    -M
    Do you Margo!. There's a few of those damp kid photos around somewhere.. always good for a laugh eh.

Are you getting some sailing in yourself Margo.. you've got a fleet to choose from haven't you....

One more Fush... this un whacked Kirsty in the shoulder/back.. she said it was like getting hit by a soccer or rugby ball booted from the other side of the field

Did you get some Tuna?...
    Indeed we did, a years worth. We've been canning and vacuum packing all day today.

Here's my daughter keeping her distance from her first tuna. She's a great fish battler and a lucky angler but not much for drawing blood. Notice I thoughtfully turn the bloody side away from her.

And I agree, we've caught a few, but every fish is a wonder. Here's the kids, summer of 2004, on the North Fork of the Malheur, the girl showing off her first fly caught cutthroat trout. Oh my aching heart.

As for fishing gear, we have nothing so nice as a lever drag tld, but then again, we rarely troll the flatware. This was the weapon of choice yesterday, a rapala plug on an Ugly Stik and a 3/0 Senator from ebay.

Mmmmmmmfried flying fish.......those used to come aboard when I was charting the Caribbean...the only problem was the two cats I had at the time were faster than I getting them on deck....cats would hear a thump and would be out of the cabin in a flash.
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."