Page 1 of 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 years on the Woodenboat forum, Waione to Riada....

Default 10 years on the Woodenboat forum, Waione to Riada....

Can you believe that .. 10 years. I was looking at some old sailing photos of mine and thinking about the size of the kids and other things as we cruised up and down this North Eastern coast of NZ, how things have changed so much in so many ways in just that decade.
    This pic was 2001 down at Rangipukea island off Coromandel

100-0037_IMG_9.jpg

and this one was about 3 weeks ago in the same place

IMG_7296_10.jpg
    the boat has changed a little bit although we used that praam then. ( doesn't seem to be away that trip)

the little kids dinghies I built have been slowly getting retired.. the last one( one size up) on these two came away at christmas but had little use so its now hanging in the garage.

this kid is now 13.

100-0041_IMG_10.jpg

The boy is 15

104-0402_IMG_14.jpg
    This girl under the dodger beside Kirsty is 19!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John B; 08-02-2020 at 04:04 PM.

Default Re: 10 years on the Woodenboat forum, Waione to Riada....

Thanks for sharing.
    We don't know how lucky we are....

This photo I used a few times as my Merry christmas WBF see you in a month pic.

kids can be weird

that one still is a bit.
    Last edited by John B; 08-03-2010 at 07:44 PM.

I always liked this un... I had a thread called Anchored shallow iirc...

Waione being 6ft 5 or so deep but with a keel hung rudder, the counter was swung in over the beach with only 4 ft or so under it.

When I first peaked in here you had a thread about testing a dinghy with two outboards, it was the main impulse for me to stay. I'm glad I did.

Sean , Ian, Tony, Gareth, I'm pleased to know you guys and I often talk to my friends about the things you do.

Thanks JB! That's a great shot of Waione with the three in the cockpit! How did you get it? Rick

As it happens Gareth I do have that photo or a subsequent one. maybe we'd run around Bon Accord harbour with the 2 outboards one weekend and then decided to upscale it a bit a few weeks later.
    It'd been raining and was windy for a few days and we had cabin fever.. first break in the weather we were out and I strapped three outboards on the back of the black pig for a grand total of 7 hp.
    It sounded like a DC3 with the multiple engine tones. It was very scientific too, with a gps measuring max speed under 1 , 2 and finally the 3 engines. I think 2 was fastest from memory. ahahaha. Maybe that weird kid got it from somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Thanks JB! That's a great shot of Waione with the three in the cockpit! How did you get it? Rick
    Thats one of a sequence of photos taken from a chopper in a 40 knotter coming back from mahurangi in 2000 or 2001 Rick.
    The photographer is Terry Fong of AFA photos and the pilot was an American Vietnam vet flying one of those little Robinsons.

here's another

This vid was taken the same day but a few miles before as we reached down to Tiri passage

http://www.youtube.com/user/waioneb3#p/u/11/czWPzBjWaOY

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    it was the main impulse for me to stay. I'm glad I did.
    I didn't quite know what to make of the forum either when i stumbled upon it; I stayed at first for TallyHo and Sarah.

I'm glad I did too.

John's threads and conversations have been an absolute pleasure. One of the few prolific contributors that is always in good humor. Glad to say I know you in a way John.

Here's to ten more!
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 08-03-2010 at 10:13 PM.

Same to you Paul , its a pleasure to know you guys.
    I get in moods and have been quite angry at things I've seen here from time to time. I've bit back a few times too , some I'm not proud of when I've taken the wrong meaning from a post. Ah well, thats the interweb I guess. We all look from our own perspectives at things .. one thing you learn is that there are people out there under all sorts of stresses and that colours the tone of their posts. Also there are bastards.

I always liked this pic too... I called it ' gunning down to Coromandel' or something similar

I kind of liked the moody nature it has, and its pretty typical of what the Coromandel looks like , often with the clouds hanging down like that. Waione trucking along on a broad reach.. 8 maybe 8.5 knots.....

More kids, 3 of mine and spare out for a weekend.

G'day John ,another 10 mate !Enjoy .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Heyyy Peter, you're an inspiration , the things you do mate.

What a coincidence that you remark on this, John!

I was looking at your "Join Date' just today and wondered if you haven't been on here longer than 10 years. I think there was a software glitch sometime in the past few years that altered the join dates by some amount.

I believe I joined well before 1999 (as it shows for me). I was #88 to register and there are others still here who signed in before i did.

When DID the Forum first come online, anyway?? Anyone recall?
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

Not sure about when it started Dave, there were threads about that over the years though. I was just into the 2000's( 2013?) for member number IIRC and I think 2000 is right for join up year for me. I'd only just completed the rig change over from macaroni to gaff late 99.
    I don't what the forum would do without Arrrbegarrrr though, a lesser place I think.

Waiones marconi rig in its last iteration with me...

and a year or two later under her new gaff rig.

By that time I was wailing because my black v8 SS Holden had been stolen and I was driving the cast off, the Camry.

I think it was Mike Field who photoshopped the camry out of the photo for me because I was grizzling about the thing so much.

My life for 20 years.. we hauled there every year for 20 years, stayed out a month , sometimes two to get through the jobs.

another year with the jailbar boat truck..

Last edited by John B; 08-04-2010 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    another year with the jailbar boat truck..
    gorgeous shot - been a short ten, eh?
    I really like your idea of a boat for every kid - I've been thinking about how to get two dinghies nesting in each other big enough to be useful, small enough to fit ... I'll ponder some more

funny thing... i was thinking about join dates myself the other day. my original number was #113 and this thread has made me realise that i have been hanging around on here for a long time too.

my national geographic magazine subscription is coming up to 32 years now but im seriously thinking about not renewing it. i was so interested in the national geographic when i was younger as it was a 'portal' to a big beautiful world i hoped to discover one day and thats why i built my first yacht. i was going to explore the world under sail.

well its taken from 1992 when i first started building "pequot", then "decatur" through to now, and i still havent got underway. im going though... in the new one. that much i owe myself. and im still looking forward to it!

by the way, when did the wooden boat forum start up?

These are great shots JB! Thanks for the Waione video and I'd recommend it to all other WBFs as you get a whole lot of other JB clips when you go into Youtube .... BUT ..... there's also a reminder there that you have an E-type Jag .... so I have to hate you!!! Rick

PS Looking forward to another 10 years of great posts - really like the way your care for those kids shines through!

I remember the Waione's "conversion into a schooner" thread !!!!

Nice thread John!

John
    I too really enjoy your posts & your humour, which is lacking all too often here. I'm also envious that your kids have been such a part of the boating experiences, what a fantastic intro to life for them.
    The 'canon' has to be an example of what an amazing group of people hang out here. Long may that camaraderie last.

Cheers Alan H
    "Old boats are like teenage girlfriends: there is a certain urgency to their needs & one neglects them at one's peril"

Love it all, John.

Jeez, what ever happened to Mike Field? He was building a Puffin, right?
    The true patriotism, the only rational patriotism, is loyalty to the Nation ALL the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it.

Braam, the dinghies just have removeable thwarts and are a size up each time. The three all nest inside the next one. I suppose that if you get up in size , you just need to put more effort into breasthook/ quarter knees and have maybe a bolt in / tie in system for a thwart.

Bernadette, I remember those early shots of Pequod and you starting on Decatur. I still think that was just an amazing project and along with Art's dark harbor 17, they define those years on the WBF. And here you are , doing something amazing again!

Ah yes Rick, the jag....boy I jumped into that . I don't regret it, it was always a dream car for me growing up .. a goal of sorts,and since its a pretty rough one I can use it without getting too worried about a scratch or two.

I've looking for that drawing Luke, I even found it once but I seem to have lost it again. Schooner rig for Waione .. all 8 ft 6 beam on her. She really needs another stick/ gaff and boom like a hole in her bilge. ahahaha, but it was a good april fools day thread wasn't it.
    Your threads here Lew , they're an important part of it all I think, always magic to see a whole new area and the lovely Rita.

Thanks Alan, Figment.
    .... Mike ? I dunno, I sent that guy a boathook and I'm waiting to hear back from him. When I say sent .. I really mean Kirsty dropped it over the side and it sank due to the heavy hardwood handle ( which is why and how we got it.. found in the mud at low tide) I've sort of willed it across the Tasman so he can wring some magic out of it. In the meantime I just have to make do with the two broom handles I stole from the workshop , scarfed together and poked a cheap hook on.
    Last edited by John B; 08-04-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Those kids boats are silly little things by comparisons to the projects that go on here but they're still a product of the WBF in a way. You know how you get inspired , a mini epiphany where all of a sudden you think' I could do that'. Well thats where they came from and they have been a giant success if you measure success in terms of how many kids have used em hammered them, and for how long.
    nesting #2 in #3

#3 into #4

building in the lounge.

when the cats away.... eh.
    Last edited by John B; 08-06-2010 at 06:44 PM.

Nice thread John, great photos. I quite like the "kids can be weird" one of your daughter under the windbreaker with the pigtails showing.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I always liked these shots between boats and the years

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Nice thread John, great photos. I quite like the "kids can be weird" one of your daughter under the windbreaker with the pigtails showing.
    Yeah ,ha. That one in particular I must say. He she is a couple of years ago just quietly doing her own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I always liked these shots between boats and the years
    I like them too - lovely kids, lovely boats, lovely bottom paint!

That would be an abrasion layer from cotton fabric Braam. Kirsty made a shirt for him out of the offcuts.

How'd the cotton hold up?

re. nesting dinghies I had been thinking of doing something with our Bolger Tortoise - build a slightly smaller one which could nest in the first - or vice versa.
    Then we could fit them together and make a schooner! (google fu not working can't find the pics....)

Great thread, John. Oh, the memories. I joined about 6 months before you but I'd been lurking for a while. Amazing how those little ones grow. When we look at the old pics it's just amazing. Gavin is 20 now and has been working with me some this summer. Halfway through college now. Older daughter will be a high school senior this year. And the baby will be a sophomore. (Better hope she doesn't see the "baby' comment ) I'm just glad they all still like coming out on the boat, though they do always want to bring at least one friend with them. We are planning some overnights with the girls, they haven't done that yet. No room for friends on Talisman though. I'm pretty jealous of the Forumites that have traveled down to upsidedownland to sail with you. Maybe someday.

Steven