Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vietnamese boats

The headwaters of the Petaluma River and up a hill. ,CA

Default Re: Vietnamese boats

That boat is sunk.
    ..don't judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes..

Quote Originally Posted by floatingkiwi View Post
    That boat is sunk.
    Nope, that boat is unloading a cargo of about 150 tonne of tarmac.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Nope, that boat is unloading a cargo of about 150 tonne of tarmac.
    Oh well!
    Say Nick. How do you know this?

Quote Originally Posted by floatingkiwi View Post
    Oh well!
    Say Nick. How do you know this?
    Thames barges are one of my favourite craft, so I am familiar with the type. I googled for an image of one fully loaded, and found that one. The caption of the photo recorded where and what she was unloading. One of the books on my shelves quoted a typical barges deadweight.
    A nice image of one on a grid.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

cool

Kerry, in Asia the rule is basically that all good land is pretty much already being used. If it can be farmed or lived on then it's probably already being farmed or lived on. As populations grow, areas that people wouldn't choose to inhabit in the first place become inhabited. I should point out that the area in the photo you referred to is actually quite pleasant except at low tide. Rick

I second that, Rick, and will add that the Halong bay islands are extremely steep, the rock fragile in many places, that they have no fresh water excepted what could be collected in reservoirs from the rain (6 months a year only: the rest of the time: pretty dry! - trees manage their own reserves, and find water deep in the rock), that they have absolutely no arable land (excepted the very large ones like Cat Ba), and that the only places where one could live in the many caves that the sea has excavated.
    However, a few islands are "inhabited"....by people living in floating villages!

I'm just adding a few more pictures to this thread - just a random selection this time but mostly more boats! These are from all over VN:

Hue

Mui Ne

Ha Noi - Red River with Long Bien Bridge

Nam Dinh - rice seedlings ready for planting

Nha Trang - fish fillets drying for market

Dak Nong - primary school

Far north of Tuyen Quang - soccer match

Ha Noi

Da Nang - fish market

Ha Noi

Nha Trang

Nha Trang

Thua Thien Hue

Ha Noi - about the only time when I didn't wish I was sailing

Ha Noi - shrimp traps

Hai Phong

Ha Noi

Great shots, thanks Rick.

I've still got a few that pop up on my screensaver that I haven't got on to photobucket yet. In the meantime, here's a couple more

Tam Coc

Hanoi.... different view of the same type of small fishing boat that you posted - the feet being used to row

Vung Tau - this is one of Kylie's photos

Can Tho, with some fat bastard taking a photo of a propellor

Halong Bay - the junk I spent a couple of days on. (I'll replace this with a better shot from the other camera later on)

Halong Bay

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

This is under Long Bien Bridge in Ha Noi. This guy has to have one of the worst jobs in the world. He's shovelling a heavy mixture of coal dust and clay into a barrow. He'll then shovel it into a press that will produce fuel bricks for use in small stoves that are used throughout Vietnam

These are H'mong women dispensing rice wine at a market in Lao Cai

And this is where the rice wine is made

Nothing to do with boats but I promised someone I'd post some pictures of a brickworks:

Clay bricks are baked in the sun then carried to the kiln:

It takes about a week for a kiln to be loaded with many layers of bricks:

A coal and clay fuel brick is placed between about every 5 bricks:

Making fuel bricks is hot work in Vietnam:

Once the kiln is loaded up, wood fires are lit under the kiln and eventually the whole thing lights up - for about 4 days:

Rick

Long Bien Bridge

Rick

Is that a recent shot Rick? The water level is well up on when I was there a month ago.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

No, that one was taken last year when the river was very high. The river's up a bit now but not as high as then. Rick

OK, I've got a couple of Cambodian boat photos that I will throw in here... right next door, after all... This is the on Tonle Sap River - heading upstream with other like boats in front of us. This was 3rd week June, right at the end of the dry season and we were hitting bottom from time to time. By now, the river direction will have changed I guess... as it does twice a year when the flood waters from the Mekong River flow in to the Tonle Sap Lake from the bottom end, overpowering the Tonle Sap River.

Some boatbuilding going on just upstream from the last photo.

Now this one is Vietnamese, albeit in the Mekong River in Cambodia when I took the photo. I couldn't quite find the Plimsol Line.

Into Vietnam now, and this shot was taken in the last minutes of daylight. I think it qualifies as one of the ugliest boats I saw....

The guys with these boats were touting for our patronage. They wanted to take us from Chau Doc to Can Tho (65nm) for US$90.

We ended up getting what we wanted... a cargo boat ride - which started with us being taken out to it on this

(I've put photos of it up before, but not on this thread... so I'll find some of the cargo boat)

This was "our" cargo boat for the trip to Can Tho

To tie in with the brick production photos, here is how they are carried and unloaded

Not sure what this one was carrying...

Another happy couple, out together on the river

The fishing was good here too. Might have something to do with it being a fish farm, adjacent to the Mekong

Oops... lost the chronology again... but speaking of fish farms... these "fish" were being farmed on the floating village we went to on Tonle Sap Lake in Cambodia

Same place... but the people are Vietnamese living in Cambodia. My impression was that they were tolerated rather than welcomed... although the cool reception they received may have been more related to the fact they were begging

We tried to avoid rewarding beggars, but I slipped this girl a dollar.

These little boats swarm all over the tourist boats, selling beer, etc... and as we left, out wake rocked one of them and a woman and toddler got knocked overboard - quickly rescued though... not that our driver even noticed.

This is back on "our" cargo boat. This area had been full of bananas the day before, the trip back was empty, except for us. Mum and the two younger daughters playing the local form of bingo - this is pretty much when we started to join in and things loosened up.

Jumping up the coast now... east of Saigon to Vung Tau, where Lucky Luke is building the dream boat.

... and on the coast road north to Mui Ne

Speaking of Mui Ne... as Rick has pointed out, there is quite a fleet around there...

and then, a few days after that (we went north via an inland diversion to DaLat) we got to Nha Trang. This is the fishing village to the southern end of the beach

One of the thatched bamboo boats

and the houses right on the waters edge

... and to keep things in perspective, this little fella was just north of there (still at the southern end of the beach at Nha Trang)

One of my guides on a day trip later on, when I showed him the photo, said I could have been arrested for spying for taking the shot. We found that totally by accident, having just followed a guy on another bike who turned off the road and went through what looked like a deserted industrial area. There were no guards and we ended up on a wharf with half a dozen boats (up to small freighter size - like the one in the foreground) and had a chat with some naval academy guys. Taken just on dusk ....

This is a larger version of the bamboo boats... taken at Da Nang. I've got a video somewhere of one being lacquered on the inside. Not sure if it was the natural or synthetic version - but it stank. These sized boats have a small inboard diesel.

These are at the same place, Da Nang... and are a good 25' long - bamboo bottomed.

OK - now we've skipped many hundreds of kilometers - this is right up near the China border, in the centre of the north of Vietnam. The typhoon had been bucketing down and the rivers were really flowing. I'm kicking myself now for not having taken photos or video of this river a bit further on - it got redder with the soil load and there were standing waves almost 3' high.... and the drop off from the road (no railings) was straight down to it. I was pushing hard to make it to Muong Lay before dark though, and failed miserably, with the last 20km through thick mud done in the dark.

This fella is moored and dredging or pumping...

... and about a thousand miles later, after looping over to the Laos border, back down through the centre and over towards the coast... I took this one somewhere down near Ninh Binh - a bit south of Hanoi. Just another river boat

This was one of the boats on the Red River that Rick took me out to see. It is upstream of the Long Bien Bridge by a few kilometers. As the river rises, she'll float off.

IIRC, Rick said there are some wooden and some cement boats

And this is the Halong Bay version of the tourist trap boat. Much more commercially oriented than the "early tourism" versions in Cambodia

That river barge of yours above (the one with the blue tarp) is a cement boat - they're pretty common in the north. Most of the river barges in the north are steel now but all over the delta and Ha Long there are plenty of cement ones left. Thanks for posting all these Ian - must have been nice just drifting down the Me Kong. Every time I've travelled on the Me Kong it's been on a very fast boat, which makes it difficult to take many photos. One day I'll have to have a holiday in Vietnam! Rick

Oh, nearly forgot... one for the junkers among us

... and one for the kayakers

We went for a paddle around a couple of islands and through a floating fishing village. Everyone else in our group was a little conservative. Our (twin) kayak was the only one to make it through a cave that went from one side of a small island to the other. Wasn't easy, I might add...

.... and while I think of it... here's a view of the restaurant we pulled up at on Tonle Sap Lake in Cambodia. That's where the crocs and the girl with the snake were... You can see some anchors off a ways... looking like clumps of sticks (well they are, I guess) - they are the dry season anchors. Now that its wet season, that village would probably be 15' or more higher off the bottom.

... and, just for fun... here's a shot from the very start of my trip... in Cambodia... but she's Japanese

The girl looks Japanese as well! Thanks for posting that one Ian - great shot! Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 10-01-2010 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    The girl looks japanese as well! Thanks for posting that one Ian - great shot! Rick
    My pleasure sir. Yes.... you should organise a holiday. If you are heading back up to SaPa anytime, look up my friends who live about 4km the SaPa side of Ban Den. I'm sure we could wangle you an invite to stay... (I've got a phone number... but they speak zero English)

They have different sort of boats there...

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    One day I'll have to have a holiday in Vietnam!
    Me too....one day!!!
    "Homme libre, toujours tu cheriras la mer" (Charles Baudelaire)

Such a happy kalabaw, or are there two of them having a swim and wash
    ~ God bless and protect all sailors and please let them guys make boats longer than I have my skis amen ~

Quote Originally Posted by Antti Alfthan View Post
    Such a happy kalabaw, or are there two of them having a swim and wash
    Only one in that shot... I was just, ahem, mounting it, to go for a swim on its back.

There were plenty of others there though, with both these shots taken at the same swimming hole

When they told Ian to go to the buffalo washing place he thought they meant to swim with the buffaloes ... Rick

Settle down now.... and let me introduce you to the new acquisition by my host family. They had just bought a second water buffalo. It cost 5 million dong - US$250. I'm not sure what the RSPCA would say about the wire through the nose?

... and to show that we did master the mighty buffalo, here's Michele riding the beast...

Oh yeah... when you want to go up for a holiday, here's the kitchen in my host's house. That's food being cooked for the pigs on the left...

O_o ... One of the beasts is missing in that daily swim photo, the big paleskin bull is astray, maybe having a nice mudbath together with the pigs mentioned. Nice pics anyway.
    ~ God bless and protect all sailors and please let them guys make boats longer than I have my skis amen ~

The occasion of a white buffalo turning up is regarded as auspicious in VN ..... Rick

These are from Dong Hoi, in Quang Binh Province, one of the nicest provinces in VN IMHO:

Before relaunching a boat after a refit (engine rebore in this case), prayers to ancestors and the local god of fishing boats are very important:

This jetty is primarily a loading point for ice. The blocks are crushed by a machine that then sends the crushed ice into the hold:

The smaller boats chase shrimp just outside the harbour:

Grown frame:

Rick