Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mattie82
    • Feb 2012

Re: Vietnamese boats

Well, for some reason the page wouldn't accept image pasting the last time I tried but I see today that has changed, so I will paste some images from Admiral Paris's work, from the collection published in 1841 and now on-line as a PDF, downloadable by anyone. These are a few from the central coast of Viet Nam, made after his visit in the early 1830s...

And this is the old Admiral himself in his later years:

As mentioned in the previous posting you can access the entire 1841 publication in 2 volumes at the link given. Some of the indigenous craft that he documented will certainly amaze you, seeing how the challenges of making seaworthy watercraft were met by different peoples in the ages before easy communication.

Warm regards....Rob

Comment

• Mattie82
      • Feb 2012

I did find a page from Admiral Paris's images which shows the plans, profiles and lines of various Vietnamese boats in the early 19th century and will post that here. I extracted a section of the page specific to a Sampan from the Sai Gon area and include that also. Had to increase the resolution and paste the scale from the larger page into the Sampan page I've made up, and I updated the numbers of that meter scale as the resolution was not actually clear enough to make out the numbers. I recall from the several months that I actually owned one of these boats in the modern planked version that they were about 28 to 30 feet long.

and the extracted portion of the large page, specific to the Sai Gon Sampan:

Now, if you ask me where I got this particular page, I confess that I only know that I downloaded it sometime in the past and have no idea where it was on the internet. My best guess would be that it comes from the later publication of his work. If anyone locates the source, I'd appreciate a "heads up".

Below is an early 20th century postcard from a canal in the Can Tho region, on the lower branch of the Mekong, the Hau Giang, showing numbers of this sized sampan, mostly plank built.

The two photos below are from my own time in Viet Nam during the early 70s and show sampans in the Mekong Delta, one getting very heavy use as a ferry across the Kinh Cho Gau near My Tho, and another parked outside one of the canal side dwellings.

Hope this adds to the general knowledge. I am trying to get a set of lines for the small plank built sampans still common throughout the southern rivers and canals. Fellow I've met who's built a canoe and a kayak and lives in Sai Gon needs convincing.

Anyway, Regards....Rob

Comment

• Gerarddm
        #RESIST
        • Feb 2010

Those lines plans are fascinating, thanks for posting Rob.
        Gerard>
        Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Comment

Working...