Thread: Vietnamese boats

Threaded View

Default Re: Vietnamese boats

Time to put some life in this thread. I spent 5 weeks in Viet Nam from late November through the first of the new year. I'd promised that I would see what I could photograph of local boats, not expecting much really, but I managed quite profitably. After two and a half weeks in the North I spent 10 days in the Mekong Delta, in the western province of An Giang. For one day I rented a small sampan from the Long Xuyen waterfront and went back up the Ong Chuong Canal to Cho Moi and then around Cu lao Tay almost halfway to Chau Doc and Cambodia. I'd gone down through the canal twice during the war 40 years ago and have retained clear memories of it being one of the prettiest inland passages I've ever made. I wasn't disappointed and will make several postings here of boats, boatyards and of the industries which keep these boats at work. There are still many many of the traditional double ended wooden rice barges, and there are still boat yards building them...plank first and then frames in afterward. The river branches and the canals are filled with busy junks and sampans, transporting people, rice, fruit, rice straw and fire wood.

The first two images are of the same yard, zoomed in a bit for more detail. The third one is a small river junk with a cargo of Nipa palm nuts, used as food and for making a palm sugar.

And these above are of markets, large town markets and the impromptu small bank side trading which goes on when an excess of netted fish is landed from the river. Comments and questions welcome...I have a couple of hundred images in the collection and if any one wants I can send/post the link to that, in photobucket.

Warm regards....Rob
    Last edited by Mattie82; 02-24-2012 at 10:01 AM.