Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arctic Tern Electric Power

Default Re: Arctic Tern Electric Power

What by the way is the displacement of arctic tern in crusing trim.
    What sort of power would you need for a 2200lbs sailing boat?
    Perhaps 2 motors?
    The batteries are easy to obtain and good ballast too.

James

How about using a salt water motor, would not expect the regular motors meant for fresh water to do very well in salt water.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesh View Post
    What by the way is the displacement of arctic tern in crusing trim. What sort of power would you need for a 2200lbs sailing boat? Perhaps 2 motors? The batteries are easy to obtain and good ballast too. James
    I'd guess around 600#. Not much.

The 'how much power' question depends on how far and how fast you want to go. One cheesy trolling motor and one 50# battery would easily move your boat around in calm wind and still water for an hour. It wouldn't be practical outside that narrow definition though.

A decent system would be a 5 kW motor with four 60# 12v batteries. A better one would use 8 6v batteries
    Denny Wolfe
    www.wolfEboats.com

This is what I don't quite understand, why would anyone put a resistor in parallel with a motor? That would just waste power. I can imagine putting a resistor in series with a motor which would be a crude but effective speed reducer. If anyone can verify that the speed coils are parallel to the motor, then the coils are probably acting as additional field coils in a shunt-wound motor. Contrary to intuition, a stronger field reduces the speed of a motor by increasing the back-emf of the armature. This would also explain why the current doesn't decrease at lower speeds as much as one would imagine; the extra juice is used to suppress the rpm.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by mcdenny View Post
    Yes the lower speeds put a resistor in parallel with the motor. As the speed drops the load on the prop lessens so the current doesn't go up.

If I recall speed 5 puts all 12 v into the motor and speed 4 cuts that to 6 volts.

Actually, I just thought of another possibility (which I can't test either because the motor is 1200 miles away)it could be that the field coils oppose the permanent magnet, that the lowest speed is the one with no field coils energized, and the coils weaken the field, increasing the speed. Someone from Minnkota needs to chime in here, or someone who can open up one of these motors and find out how they are wired.

Quote Originally Posted by kbowen View Post
    This is what I don't quite understand, why would anyone put a resistor in parallel with a motor? That would just waste power. I can imagine putting a resistor in series with a motor which would be a crude but effective speed reducer. If anyone can verify that the speed coils are parallel to the motor, then the coils are probably acting as additional field coils in a shunt-wound motor. Contrary to intuition, a stronger field reduces the speed of a motor by increasing the back-emf of the armature. This would also explain why the current doesn't decrease at lower speeds as much as one would imagine; the extra juice is used to suppress the rpm.
    Ken

Maybe I mis-spoke 😬. Probably the resistors are in series with the motor brushes.
    Denny Wolfe
    www.wolfEboats.com

Quote Originally Posted by kbowen View Post
    . Someone from Minnkota needs to chime in here, .
    Good luck trying to get MK to speak on the issue. They have refused to reply to several requests I have made on their "help line" which is no help at all.

When I asked MK about the amperage of a 10 lb thrust motor bought about 1975, they replied within a week.

In case anyone finds this old thread, I've just refinished the boat to sell (check out Woodenboat website ad) as its been sitting unused for several years. Battery was dead as a doornail of course but the motor (installed used 8 years ago) and electronics still work fine.
    Last edited by mcdenny; 07-12-2018 at 12:03 PM.
    Denny Wolfe
    www.wolfEboats.com

That is a fine looking vessel for a very attractive price. I hope someone snaps it up.
    I also just sold two boats (canoes) that had been sitting around unused for years. Better someone else uses them then have them hanging in the rafters gathering dust.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Thanks Rich. I priced it to sell as I know it can be very hard to sell an owner built wood boat, no matter the quality.

In this case it sold right away to a guy from southern CA who saw it on the WB site a few days after to ad went up.

In related news I finally sold my second Harmony 25 (for about the cost of materials) after six years of trying.
    Denny Wolfe
    www.wolfEboats.com