Well, after 7 months of sporadic building our AT finally hit the water. The first day was blowing 15 - 20 against our 2 mph current so we had our hands full even with one reef.
Most of my attention was directed at keeping the water out so I did not get detailed performance figures but the GPS showed mostly over 6 mph on a beat and mid-sevens on a reach. We made every tack and only took a few gallons over the rail. She was wonderfully sedate going dead downwind at 7 mph through the water with little propensity to yaw back and forth as swells passed under her. Is that because of the double ended hull? I never sailed a double ender before.
We came home with a list of 16 things to fix or improve, the foremost being the yard - mast attachment.
I copied the rigging for a GIS shown on Michael Storer's website and found it very hard to get the yard up as the more strain on the hailyard, the more friction between the mast and yard. Maybe it was because I did not yet leather the rubbing points. Also slacking the hailyard 20" to tie in a reef let the yard move aft a good bit.
Anyway I made a rope ring by end splicing a piece of 3/8 poly 3 strand and this works much better.
The boat has an electric aux drive which I will detail in another thread. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...Electric-Power
Other "personalizations" include a fully capped centerboard trunk with up and down hauls around a radius on the front of the centerboard. The c'board pic also shows one of the four big fenders lashed beneath the side seats. If the boat capsizes to 90 degrees two will provide 40# of bouyancy, almost offsetting the battery weight. Both bow and stern decks are gasketed to be water tight. I'm going to do a capsize test soon.
7/8" thick Garapa floor boards add about 50# more weight than the 1/2" pine spec'ed by IO; a 12v battery adds another 53#.