Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: The Ostkust Thread

Default Re: The Ostkust Thread

When I was a mere lad, I had one of the Rudder Magazine's little "How to build 20 Boats" issues. It had the plans for the Ostkust and I was quite smitten. She still draws me. (I actually had two of those little magazines and lusted after the Carinita(?), the H-28 and the Tahiti ketch as well but the Ostkust seemed the best choice between possible and dreamining)

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Did they talk about the sails, are they the same ones, especially the spinnaker. Was the engine cover the same. Where are the pictures taken?
    They said their dad never bought new sails for the Ostkust. The original sails were just five years old when they got it. They do remember when he got new sails for his next boat. We didn't have the spinnaker on board so we didn't discuss it.
    The pics are from 1967 and 1968. They were from the Eastern Yacht Club's (Marblehead) annual cruise up the Maine coast.

Can you spot the only thing changed about the boat?

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Can you spot the only thing changed about the boat?
    lifelines
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Steven and Mary that is just the coolest thing. Those two ladies and you two as well are just awesome for being able to get together and go sailing with each other. Best story I've read on the forum in a while.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

You got it, Paul. The lifelines are gone, though the fittings are still on deck. I had wondered what they were. The only other change is the small snubbing winch in the cabin top for the jib halyard. It's amazing just how original she still is.

And that engine cover is different, Gareth. That was put in in '93 when the Vire was installed. I think it was a Palmer when they had it.

Steven

I just came across this pic and thought I'd use it to bump this thread. This is Mary and me on our way from Port Clyde to Tenants Harbor.

Steven

Great to see this thread still going Steven. I do love this design (almost as much as the H28......)!!
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

When we go on a week long trip like this we sure would appreciate the extra four feet down below.

Steven

I'm glad you bumped the thread Steven.

A very pretty boat and just the right size.

So I had the slides from the 60's scanned by a photo store. The ones above were iphone shots of the slides projected on the wall. Here are the scans:

I think some of these are in Marblehead, Mass. and some in Harpswell, Maine.

Steven

I've said it before, but I'll say it again...that's one great looking boat!

Just lovely, Steven. There sure is a lot of rake to that mast. And a great story in post #62

I was looking through some pics from some past WoodenBoat Shows and found this pic of Talisman from 2010:

Really just a good excuse to bump this thread.

I'm still hoping to hear from some other Ostkust owners.

Steven

My immdiate thought was its got very similar lines and proportions to a Nordic Folkboat,including rig. What a great wee yacht!

Houses and boats are some of the very few things that can connect their current owners (caretakers?) with the previous ones. I think it's pretty cool.

Steve

I'm probably behind on the news but will Talisman be going in the water this summer?
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

Quote Originally Posted by Lance F. Gunderson View Post
    Speaking of Portsmouth Rating, there used to be a lovely Ostkust in Portsmouth, N.H. owned by the Arsenault family of New Castle. The spoke highly of the boat and said they'd had many good times aboard. They kept it on a mooring on the west side of the Piscataqua River for many years; I often sailed by to admire it. There used to be another nice one in Woods Hole, built by Fernandez and featuring an extended cabin which I thought looked very good. Yet another nice one sailed out of Manchester, MA., and may be the boat you own now Steven. I recall watching it with admiration as it beat out by Misery Island one summer day. The Ostkust is one of my all-time favorite designs.

Hi, My husband and I bought the Yankee Lady, formerly owned by the Arsenaults. She's up river on a mooring at Great Cove Boat Club.
    Brigid Arcand

Brigid, we'd love to see some pictures or hear some stories of sailing your Ostkust.

Steven

I just found out that there was an Ostkust entered in this years Eggemoggin Reach Regatta. That is so cool. There is a pic of Gosling racing at the ERR 2012 here: http://ellsworthamerican.smugmug.com/Sports/Sailing/Eggemoggin-Reach-Regatta-2012/24620888_w3rb9n/2/2012148958_PShjMqm/Large

http://ellsworthamerican.smugmug.com..._6GhjRxt/Large

I believe I can shed some light on SPARTINA, the Ostkust shown early in the thread with the elongated cabin house. Al Mason redesigned the Ostkust in 1980. The new version was exactly the same at the original Ostkust below the waterline, but the Mark II, or Mason 24 as it was also called, was given a plank more freeboard, an elongated cabin achieved by moving the companionway bulkhead aft a few frames as well as lengthening the cabin house forward, a self-bailing cockpit, and a masthead sloop rig, with the mast shortened and shifted aft to maintain placement of the new rig's center of effort. When you buy the plans from Anita Mason, you get both versions--that's how mine came, anyhow.

My father and I found an amateur-built Ostkust (original design) deteriorating in someone's backyard and made a deal. She had been built in the 1980s and was quite curious, in several respects. Her plank lines were crazy, but of beautifully varnished mahogany. Her story, as best I understood it, was that her builder had died before completing her, and his daughter had completed the project, launching the boat perhaps three or four times, total. Then she was placed on her trailer, rolled into the backyard, and neglected. She traded hands over the years, but never found a committed owner. My dad and I thought we could fix her up and bought plans from Anita Mason to assist us in the rebuild. She had a full suit of barely-used sails: main, jib, Genoa, and spinnaker. Well, we got into the project and after a year of uncovering layer after layer of problems deep into her very bones (some from her original construction and some from deterioration), we realized that it would be better to start over. We salvaged what we could.

I ended up a Folkboat owner instead--and love that boat--but the Ostkust's plans and sails are still sitting in my closet. I would like to find someone who would be interested in them.
    Last edited by Scuppers; 12-09-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuppers View Post

I ended up a Folkboat owner instead--and love that boat--but the Ostkust's plans and sails are still sitting in my closet. I would like to find someone who would be interested in them.

Hey Scuppers, I'm very interested. In the plans and the sails. Our sails are ok, but they are probably from the eighties and starting to show it. And I've been waiting for the final transfer of the Mason collection to get a set of plans but the sooner the better. Where are you located?

Steven

I'm in Alexandria, VA. Shoot me an email to IF_Lorelei@yahoo.com and I will send you pictures of the sails.

Thanks.

I was looking for something else but found this pic of a family outing from 2011:

Steven

Looks like a fine day.

Even in a tiny photo that LPBC is mighty distinctive!

Looks like two LPBCs in that pic.

I was wandering around the web and happened to notice this link at Leslie Scott's Ostkust page: http://www.lesliescott.org/ostkust/html/forsale.html

Here she is:

I don't know when this was posted but if she's in good shape and still available one of you in the Bay area should take her home.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Here is the Ostkust picture of the day. Can any of you eagle eye's spot the Forumite's boat in the background? Hint, this photo was taken at Beaton's in NJ.

Peregrine was built in 1962 in Marblehead.

Steven
    I'm pretty sure Peregrine is sitting under a tarp at Beatons in NJ where she has been for years. Seems she might be worth pursuing if anyone is interested.

Steven

Russ's Sjogin, pre-Sandy?

I really like the extended cabinsides to the forehatch on the Ostkusts.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

I found this pic on Whetstone boats website:

Do any of you Vermonters know more? Molly Bawn is her name.

Steven

There is an Ostkust for sale in Connecticut. I have no interest other than trying to find this beautiful boat a new home. If anyone is interested in this little classic beauty I can get more info for you. These boats are fantastic to sail and are of a manageable size, not too big to do the basic stuff yourself. Here are a couple of pics:

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Russ's Sjogin, pre-Sandy?

I really like the extended cabinsides to the forehatch on the Ostkusts.
    I'd like to add how tricky this is to draw to look just right. The Ostkust designer had an amazing eye.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

I've heard Kathy Bray isn't doing these prints anymore, does anyone know for sure? This one goes with the Ct boat, but I'm glad I ordered one when I did. I do wish I had ordered it without the bootstripe and with green bottom paint. Oh, well.

Steven

Hello, Steven: I was just up at Eggemoggin RR and saw a couple of Ostkusts thrashing around the track so I started googling "Ostkust" and was led to this forum. I used to own an Ostkust named Peregrine. I kept her in Rockport, ME., in the early 80s and Rockport Marine did a lot of work on her for me. I installed a BMW one-cyl. diesel and put opening ports in the cabin sides. Looking at yours, I wonder if she is the same boat? I've owned many boats since, but none was prettier or sailed better. I took her to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick and down to Cape & Islands. Mine was built by Alan Vaitses in '61 or '62. Is that her? Thanks, Eric in Cushing, Maine.

Just in case there are any Ostkust appreciators on the forum from western Pennsylvania, I happened to glimpse a run down old woody out in a field as I was walking out of a restaurant near Erie. It took some doing to get to it and regrettably I didn't have a camera with me, but it was an Ostkust, looking pretty forlorn on a rusty trailor.

Looked like most of the valuable hardware had been stripped and of course it looked neglected, but the hull form still looked sweet.

I'll try to get a pic next time I'm back that way. Could be a good, cheap fixer.
    Plures Naves Quam Mentes!

More Boats Than Brains!

Hi Eric, I was at the ERR, and was hoping to get pictures of Gosling and Petit Fleur during the prestart but we just weren't close to them. Our boat isn't Peregrine. She was originally Enterprise then Seguin then Aquarius then Talisman then Dancing Feather then Talisman again. She was built in Bridgeport, Ct,by Joel Johnson in 1959.

I have heard of Peregrine, though, is she the Ostkust at Beatons in NJ?
    Last edited by StevenBauer; 08-03-2015 at 09:18 PM.

Yes, she is. See post #23 on page one of this thread. Sadly she doesn't look that good right now. She's kind of fallen on hard times. The boat in the slip next to her had a fire and she received some collateral damage. She was hauled at Beaton's Boatyard and covered with a tarp. Like 5 years ago. The tarp is gone now and she's sitting in the weather. The minor fire damage was never fixed and she's due for some restoration work. She might be available - you would need to contact Tom Beaton to get the full scoop. I've got pics at home I can post later that I took last summer at Sjogins relaunching.

Steven