Thread: Somes Sound 12 1/2

Default Somes Sound 12 1/2

http://www.scribd.com/doc/28260004/B...und-Study-Plan

I really like this concept. Thoughts? Rick

Default Re: Somes Sound 12 1/2

did i feed the cat this morning?

I love this design too, but what I'd really like to see is Brooks (or somebody else) give the same treatment to Joel White's Flatfish. A glued lapstrake, centerboard version of a Herreshoff Fish (with perhaps a slightly raised coach roof) is my personal dream boat.

Looks like a well thought out take off on the Haven 12.5. Certainly would be easier to build and would likely sail just as well.

$180 seems like a smokin' deal for all the info in the plan set.
    Denny Wolfe
    www.wolfEboats.com

I bought the plans and have studied them extensively. They are well drawn and the detail is terrific. I will ultimately build this boat, although not quite yet due to space considerations. If you are unsure contact John. I did. He responds quickly and thoroughly. good luck. Saul

I've always thought that a lapstrake version of the Haven would be a fantastic option for dry-sailing. I talked to Eric Dow about this in 2001 and he agreed. I am really excited to see how far John has taken this process. The only fly in the ointment is the bow profile: to my eye it looks straighter than the lovely spoon bow of the H 12 1/2 that Joel captured so well in the Haven. There is another thread in B&R about Haven construction methods that applies here. Rick

Quote Originally Posted by nonsly View Post
    I love this design too, but what I'd really like to see is Brooks (or somebody else) give the same treatment to Joel White's Flatfish. A glued lapstrake, centerboard version of a Herreshoff Fish (with perhaps a slightly raised coach roof) is my personal dream boat.
    You and I think a like. My thought was to someday build a flatfish with the Herreshoff Marlin type cabin arrangement, since the Marlin is the fish with a more roomy cabin. For a Herreshoff that is; these fellows never went for having to peer over cabin tops. Glued lapstrake could be a real nice feature, no leaks, trailerable, not as much glue mess as strip or cold molding. There you have it, my next boat, lapstrake Flatfish with Marlin cabin. Just have to get the wife on board and wait until retirement.
    The wife says I can have a mistress as long as she has ribs made of white oak.

Wow, a Haven in Lapstrake, and only six molds. This one might be doable for me some day. I like the looks a lot.

Joe, FFPoP

Shew and Burnham built a lapstrake version of LFH's Buzzards Bay 14 Footer about thirty years ago. It was the best looking version of that boat I ever saw. Deee-licious.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by landlocked sailor View Post
    The only fly in the ointment is the bow profile: to my eye it looks straighter than the lovely spoon bow of the H 12 1/2 that Joel captured so well in the Haven.
    I don't know if you saw this, Rick, but here's what John Brooks wrote about the shape of the stem:

In many places, such as the shape of the stem, the taper of the coaming and the rake of the mast, this boat has the styling of Nat Herreshoffís famous son, L. Francis

I did Steve, thanks. And I can see the family resemblance. I'm just a sucker for the curve I guess, though it's certainly no deal breaker. I hope that enough get built to compete in the class. Rick

Personally, I'd prefer a carvel hull left soaking, so I don't ever have to trailer a boat again. The design itself, however, is beautiful.

If I had a little boat like this sitting on a mooring, or in a slip, it would never be on the mooring or in the slip.

LFH was vastly more meticulous about the aesthetics of his designs than NGH, who was an engineer, fairly ruthless in his approach to appearances. Rather than a difference in taste, the refinement of a curve with a changing radius probably represented a secondary consideration to the father.
    Peter Belenky

This is such a beautiful tweak on the design. I dunno, but might just have to change my alliegance and think about this as an eventual build.
    "It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Shew and Burnham built a lapstrake version of LFH's Buzzards Bay 14 Footer about thirty years ago. It was the best looking version of that boat I ever saw. Deee-licious.
    Was it this one?

The wife says I can have a mistress as long as she has ribs made of white oak.

There just happens to be a set of plans (unused) on Ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sommes-Sound-Woo...#ht_500wt_1154

I don't know anything about the seller or anything else. I just came across this listing last night and thought someone here might be interested
    Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

First off, hello to all. I have not been on the forum for a few years now. Work got in the way and beside that I went in on a sawmill venture. With it up and running I was collecting timber for my ultimate build, the Haven. I just read the article in Woodenboat Mag and have changed my mind. This is it, and I just ordered the plans. I am in SW Ohio and only day sail on local lakes. I keep a dock with a 14' catboat now. I love to build the old way, have taken several planking classes and have finished a ply lapstrake Arch Davis Penobscott. I just have concerns about a carvel planked boat soaking in fresh water around my area. This design fits the bill and I am going with it. I only wish I could find some plywood trees to cut on the Woodmizer! I will have to find another use for my pile of cedar.

I have not seen the plans, but I read the WB article. I am intrigued by it. Is there an alternative to the keel version, or is that integral (no pun intended) to the design? I don't think I am up for dealing with a keel yet. The centerboard is what makes me wonder about this. I looked on Brooks' website and he has a photo of the keel (550lbs.!) pre attachment. Coquina relies upon moveable ballast--around 200 lbs.--in the form of sand bags or etc. I am learning about sailboats, as we go along, and it is clear to me that the keel is essential to carry as much sail as she does, right?
    Last edited by davebrown; 11-17-2010 at 12:50 AM.

Dave, this is a hybrid. The original Herreshoff 12.5 was a keel design and this is a shortened keel/centerboard design for trailering and shallow water. I am not the expert here, but more may chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by esingleman View Post
    You and I think a like. My thought was to someday build a flatfish with the Herreshoff Marlin type cabin arrangement, since the Marlin is the fish with a more roomy cabin. For a Herreshoff that is; these fellows never went for having to peer over cabin tops. Glued lapstrake could be a real nice feature, no leaks, trailerable, not as much glue mess as strip or cold molding. There you have it, my next boat, lapstrake Flatfish with Marlin cabin. Just have to get the wife on board and wait until retirement.
    esingleman, you and I think alike. I've often admired the Marlin and thought that a Flatfish with a Marlin-like cabin would be just about perfect. While I've realized that I don't have the time to complete such a project, at least before retirement, I still occasionally dream about it. I'd thought that I'd do it in strip or cold-molded construction, but as you say, a glued lap version would require less goop.

Ed

Got my plans in the mail today. Problem is I have a list of other unfinished projects to finish before I can start on it this winter. I have plywood to shop for.

Building a caledonia yawl, after 2 havens and a flatfish. I:ll be waiting for a set of flatfish plans.

First post, first time buyer of a boatplan.
    Customs unexpectedly rolled me for an aditional 65 euro.
    Plans for the somes sound 12 1/2 look mighty fine tough.
    Can't wait to start building her.
    But available time will be an issue I fear.

Well, get busy and start...we want to see lots of progress photos!!!

Good choice. The design is a beauty, and she should be quite a sailer!

I had every intention of building a Penobscot 17 until I saw that John had completed this project. I still thought it too difficult for my first boat but a friend persisted and convinced me that what I really wanted was a true sailboat. I purchased the plans in the early fall and then got tapped at work to take on a project that had me out of the country for over a month. That's another story I hope to share but I'm back, the holidays are over and I'm getting my 'boatshop' ready to start this project. I've been poring over the plans, John's book and the spec's. I have to do a little winterizing to the garage and then I'll be diving in.

I've never built anything from plans before but I am very impressed with these plans and the book. I put up a blog on the trip so I'm planning to do the same with this project. This forum had been invaluable for me and I'll be spending more time here as I noodle through all the details.

Hello Maarten and DDEAN

Have you guys started building yet? Would love to see some photos of the build
    Keep on Sailing

smilicus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    sailing has a destination, not an estimated time of arrival - Sir R Knox-Johnston

http://sailingcatch22.blogspot.com

Have been building... !
    A shed to build the actual boat in.
    And other than the tiller and most of the rudder pieces, i'm nowhere on the build.
    Good building pic's on the brooks website tough.

Been contemplating if this is really the boat I wan't to build.
    Mind goes back and forward between the SS12 and swallowboats BR17.
    The SS12 is a beautiful boat and seaworthy and all, but to cast my own ballast. Pheww
    (escaped one leadexplosion already - don't wan't to go there again)
    The BR17 is a ply kit, a water ballasted yawl. A whole other boat and build actually.

I'm building a Somes Sound, but I plan to buy my keel. "Man has to know his limitations".

Photos please!

Just found this post while fantasizing about my next build while my current build has only just started. The Haven model I bought from the woodenboat store stands next to me here and looks beautiful. It causes me to think about how nice it would be to have it sit in the water waiting for me to sail her, every day. There are slight differences with the SS12 but for me negligible (at this point). The Pathfinder I am building now is a conscious step in between to get to a larger boat while learning lapstrake planking, rigging, lead pouring etc. The lead ballast of 600lbs was ultimately the reason why not to build the bought SS12 plans. But now I learnt how the lead pour will be done, and how easy it will be, this hurdle to build the SS12 does not seem to be the actual hurdle it appeared to be. The ugly Fear Monster got the best of me (again).
    "Wie sturen kan, zeilt bij elke wind"

I have been building the Somes Sound 12 1/2 and keeping a record of my "progress" on a blog...http://emblasail.blogspot.ie/

As a first time builder, I have lots of questions, so I am hopeful to get some feedback and insights on how to improve my build and techniques. Without the ongoing support from John Brooks directly (thanks John!), I would not have been able to make any progress, but I am anxious not to tax John unduly with my amateur questions..

Right now I am planking the hull with some mixed results from my spiling techniques...

[img] can't get photo from picasaweb to show here!![/img]
    Last edited by Embla; 10-29-2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: added photo

Embla, I was reading your blog about planking and spilling difficulties and would suggest you try the "two batten plus trellis" method of picking up plank shapes. I used luan patterns for an Oughtred Arctic Tern and the trellis method for my current 22' power boat and the trellis method was much easier. There are a couple of photos of it in my build thread.

You might find the trellis method and then sawing/planing/sanding to the line gives better overall results than the pattern, trim router process. Hot glue is a good way to affix the cross sticks. It holds good enough to gently handle the pattern but you can break the joints with your fingers or a chisel and reuse the battens and sticks for the next plank.

If the planks aren't laying fair to the molds the shape is a little off

Denny Wolfe
    Denny Wolfe
    www.wolfEboats.com

Denny,

Thanks for sharing your experience - I will certainly try the "two batten and trellis" approach, and update on results.

BTW - I like your electric powered launch. Wondered if it would be possible to install an auxiliary electric motor in the Somes Sound. Its transom doesn't look suited to an electric outboard, quite apart from spoiling the looks. Do you know of similar day sailors with electric installations?

Thanks again,

Paul

A simple trolling motor would give plenty of power for such an easily driven boat. You could build one into the rudder or maybe have two rudders, one with and one without the motor. You could also build a small well and mount the business end of a trolling motor in it when powering and replace it with a plug when sailing.

There is a thread from a few years ago detailing how I did this for the Arctic Tern. Honestly that's what I'd do in your boat. The 36 lb thrust Minnkota I modified pushed the AT 4 mph for 10 miles with one car size 12v battery.

A more conventional inboard electric motor could have a good bit more power but would take up space, drag the prop all the time and cost 2X or 3X the trolling motor.

Denny Wolfe
    Denny Wolfe
    www.wolfEboats.com