Thread: Oil coming out of two-stroke exhaust

Default Oil coming out of two-stroke exhaust

I started up my 90 hp Mercury OB on my 1962 Grady White yesterday for the first time this season. Used a large garbage can and put it under the motor filled with water. Let it run for about 10 min to get up to temp. There was a nice stream of water coming out of weep hole the whole time and motor ran great. After turning it off, I noticed a ring of black oil around the top of the garbage can that must have came out of the exhaust. I never noticed that before. Is that normal or do I have some sort of new engine problem? I thought it may just be all the fogging oil coming out that I sprayed in the cylinders last year but was not sure. Afraid to run it any more unless I hear that this is normal.
    1968 38' Chris Craft Corinthian
    1962 21' Grady White Atlantic

Default Re: Oil coming out of two-stroke exhaust

I think that it is fairly normal. The oil is too heavy to burn. Were you using fresh mix, or old stuff?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Whaddya' mean by "new engine" problem? The oil is doubled up for break in period. Fogging oil is messy. Put your fingers right on the cylinders to make sure it's running cool. Paint will blister before inside damage. Engine can overheat with water coming out the weep hole. That is only a piece of the pie. It is amazing how much funk y'see inside the barrel!! Better too much smoke than none. Does it have an auto-oiler?

likely normal
    but dont leave a 'sheen' on the water or you owe the GOVT $10000

Water out the "weep hole" is normal. A strong stream means it has no prostate (water pump impeller) issues. You should check it and make sure it is "peeing" every time you start it up.

Hey, it beats sticking your finger up the tailpipe, don't it?
    The Water is Wide. I Can Cross Over.

That was almost certainly the fogging oil. There was so much of it in there that it couldn't all burn and just got blown out. Try it again with new clean water, if there's that much oil again you have either added too much oil to the fuel/oil mix (in which case it would most likely be smoking) or your automatic oil mixing device is malfunctioning, if it has one that is.

Its normal and how a two stroke oils itself ,the oil mixes with the gas and when the cylinder fires the gas is burned off and not all the oil and the residual oil is blown out the exhaust along with carbon,ect and enclosed in a drum it is magnified. And if it was fogged most of that oil didnt burn either. But im no expert.

Two-strokes exhaust a fair amount of unburned fuel/oil mix. Fogging oil presence would make this more noticeabkle. Your tell-tale (Weep Hole, pisser) wont show a stream of water til the engine warms up and the T-stat opens.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Breakaway, that is not correct , that the weep hole will not weep until warmed up. It should always show a stream. Thermostat does not affect it.

The motor is definitely not overheating. The drive is just warm to the touch and the water being discharged by the motor is only warm. Every time I start it water is always coming out of the weep hole, regardless of tstat position. As I give it gas, the water comes out stronger. I always pay attention to it and feel it to make sure its not hot. When the boat is out of the water, I also monitor the water coming out of the discharge port on the drive. It is above the prob, about a 1" hole. There is a separate oil container on the side of the motor and I assume there is a mechanism that mixes it with the gas. I wish I knew more about motors to explain this better. I can take pics of it and send the model number if needed. Just hoping it was the fogging oil coming out the first time. I will start it again over the weekend with fresh water in the barrel. And it smokes, a nice big puff when it starts then a steady stream afterwards as it should I believe. Thanks for the info. I will post more when I am back home.
    1968 38' Chris Craft Corinthian
    1962 21' Grady White Atlantic

The auto -oiler is handy gizmo . But as time goes by, watch out for NO smoke! The auto-oiler can fail. The rednecks from "scream and fly", (where my freind, Mr Hyde hangs out) who run their 100mph outboard boats at over rpm, always dis-able the auto-oiler,and mix manually. That's why I say "better too much smoke than too little" with a 2 stroke. If the white part (porcelin)of the spark plugs gets messed up (un white) from the fogging oil, or if they even get WET, replace 'em. "Salt- Away" is an excellent product you may like to google.

Breakaway, that is not correct , that the weep hole will not weep until warmed up. It should always show a stream. Thermostat does not affect it.
    Your right Wiz, I was wrong. Meant to say that it can take a minute or so for enough water to build up in the jacket to pressurize the bypass valve (which occurs before the thermostat opens) and allow water to show at the tell tale. In other words, lack of immediate pissing upon startup isn't neccessarily cause for concern, unless it doesn't start peeing at all. If that happens, look for water coming out the exhaust--so lomg as you have that, your good, engine wise. The tell-tale is just a convenience feature, not the entirety of cooling water being discharged by the engine.

Best
    Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    This is true. Engines pee from the get-go. Some outboards, like my 115 Yamaha, have exhaust ports on the back of the tower which blow wet exhaust when the Yamaha is honking - like 4,000 rpm plus, but it is not thermostat operated either, but spits when the pressure relief valves open.

As for oil in exhaust - you might try switching 2-stroke oil brands. You should not just add any old brand X cheap oil. It burns dirty, or I should say hardly burns at all. TCW-III oil is clean burning because it does burn. Best kind smells a bit like ammonia, burns real clean.

The headwaters of the Petaluma River and up a hill. ,CA

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post

Your right Wiz, I was wrong. Meant to say that it can take a minute or so for enough water to build up in the jacket to pressurize the bypass valve (which occurs before the thermostat opens) and allow water to show at the tell tale. In other words, lack of immediate pissing upon startup isn't neccessarily cause for concern, unless it doesn't start peeing at all. If that happens, look for water coming out the exhaust--so lomg as you have that, your good, engine wise. The tell-tale is just a convenience feature, not the entirety of cooling water being discharged by the engine.

Best
    Kevin
    The tell tale is an important feature in that it tells all who gaze upon its pleasant little stream that water is circulating throughout the powerhead and that indeed, the impeller is working as it should.
    ..don't judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes..

Not had many outboards but never had one that didn't tell-tale stream virtually instantly, even spurting when the engine is being cranked but not yet started.....As to the oil traces problem, I'd guess the fogging oil is the cause.... when you started it for the first time did it seem smokier than normal.... I would relax a little, run the engine at idle for several minutes and then if the problem still continues , as above, check the b autolube system.... disconnect the tank or empty it, and pre-mix the fuel and see if that solves the issue. If it is significantly different remove the oil mix pump completely and stay with premix and a top quality 2-stroke oil and you will probably be able to adjust the premix ratio and save money...follow the oil co's ratios, don't trial and error.
    After being slung up the track at 120kph on a racing Yam 350 due to autolube pump failure and seized motor I premix always.
    Apart from the classic and vintage circuit I don't see a future for 2-strokes..they are effectively banned here anyway. I reckon I get three times better consumption from a 4-stroke 3 cyl carb Yam 40HP than a 2 cyl 2-stroke Johnson...not long before it's paid for itself and all the normal pros apply...quieter, less pollution, blah blah boring but true.

I currently have a 6year old 90 merc that spits instantly, a brand new 250 Suzuki that takes 30 seconds or so to pee when cold, and just sold another boat with a 200 Yamaha on the transom that would start peeing for over a minute--and I had that one since new. Dont know what to say. If its coming out the exhaust, your good.