Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unstayed masts set in tabernacles

Default Re: Unstayed masts set in tabernacles

Terrapin, my CLC Autumn Leaves yawl, employs a substantial aluminum and wood tabernacle. It works like a charm. The mast is very easy to lift by hand and a simple gate holds it in place. The spar is about 14'6" long and 3-1/8" square at the base. It's hollow sitka construction. Here it is under construction a couple of years ago. Because the foot of the mast stays above deck, the tabernacle needs to be taller than it would if the mast dropped into a slot or well. But I don't find this a problem -- it means that when trailered or stored, the mast is not in the way.

40.3 gallows fitted.jpg
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    Terrapin, my CLC Autumn Leaves yawl, employs a substantial aluminum and wood tabernacle. It works like a charm. The mast is very easy to lift by hand and a simple gate holds it in place. The spar is about 14'6" long and 3-1/8" square at the base. It's hollow sitka construction. Here it is under construction a couple of years ago. Because the foot of the mast stays above deck, the tabernacle needs to be taller than it would if the mast dropped into a slot or well. But I don't find this a problem -- it means that when trailered or stored, the mast is not in the way.

40.3 gallows fitted.jpg

That is very nice. I am assuming it is unstayed, what is your sail area?
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

150 square foot balanced lug
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    150 square foot balanced lug
    Thanks.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned