Thread: Z-Spar Glazing Putty #2 alternatives?

Default Z-Spar Glazing Putty #2 alternatives?

Need to do some fairing, filling of nicks etc. on my BB14 hull - I've heard strong recommendations for Z-Spars Glazing Putty #2.

Just wondering if there is a less expensive option that would work just as well - or if I should go with the real thing. (Knowing that anything with a boat on the label usually comes at a premium.)

thanks for any ideas.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Z-Spar Glazing Putty #2 alternatives?

west 410 microlight. Don't worry, about a ding, cuz every little ding, gonna microlite!

The fast drying automotive putty "Nitrostan". Is actually cheaper and easier to use than #2 glaze. It comes in a tube rather than a can and the contents of the tube when properly capped will last for years. This is a professional glazing material and is only availble on line or from automotive paint dealers. It comes in three colors, red, white and blue.
    http://www.azautobodysupply.com/nistspandglp.html
    Jay

Would I be way off base trying the Martin Senour Glazing putty they sell at NAPA? (Looks like it actually made by Sherwin-Williams)

Very similar drying time to the Nitro-Stan, red and grey colors too.

Quote Originally Posted by dpetrzelka View Post
    Would I be way off base trying the Martin Senour Glazing putty they sell at NAPA? (Looks like it actually made by Sherwin-Williams)

Very similar drying time to the Nitro-Stan, red and grey colors too.
    I can't comment on the Martin Senour product as I have never used it.
    We would all like to hear how it works for you if you choose to try it. Be aware that most glazing compounds have a shrink factor and need several applications in order to get a proper build up. For the work that we do with Nitro Stan, the work we do is called "Slick Glaze". This consists of using a sharp flexible knife that allows one to apply the glaze in a smooth manner, leaving no crusty edges. For really bad dings, we use fast dry epoxy and micro balloons followed by primer, enamel and then "Slick Glaze" followed by more enamel.
    Jay

I've had good luck with 3M Acryl-green spot putty. It is similar to interlux surfacing putty except it dries really fast (sometimes too fast), but it also comes in a tube and stores well. I really miss Interlux trowel cement; just when I got good at it they stopped making it.

Smith & Co. makes a product called "Fil-it that I use for fairing. I like the 1 to 1 mixing proportions and the fact that it has an open time of about 1/2 hour. It is easy to trowel and feather, and can be covered with any primer and paint.

Norm

Wizbang, I love your style. Irie! Although I don't know if that came from WA or the Carib

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Get up Stand up,stand up to your wife!

My wife? Nah, we stand together.

Why not a can of fairing epoxy and let it go at that? Watertight, finishes well, prime and paint, you're done. Interlux, Restore-it, all about the same, just mix up what you need and the rest lives for years. Sands easier than west in my experience, don't like micro balloons for finish fairing even if I do like Wiz's poetry. Best material for the job, does want a light touch. Just about everything shrinks back some, this stuff less than most.

I used the gray Martin Senour Glazing putty from NAPA that I had on hand, and it worked great. Went on easy, quick dry, and easy sanding. Time will tell if it was the best choice - but I'm happy with it so far.

With all the discussions we've had about this topic I am not sure why anybody would use anything but one of the better purpose made compounds except for one application, which is that a small repair needed to be made, filled and painted on the same day. The proven advantages (proven to me, I mean) of the better epoxies for this application seem overwhelming to me. Maybe I am missing something, but here is what I (think I) know:

Not all that many years ago I used various glazing putties for most shallow repairs. These days, it's the first stuff I dig out and get rid of, replacing with epoxy where I need to, which is frequently the case it seems. I actually learned the benefits of the newer fairing compounds here on the forum and have had such universally good luck I now just hold up the job or spend an extra day taking the long way around rather than to put on a one part compound. Somebody tell me what the best one is and if they aren't
    1. hydroscopic
    2 don't shrink
    3. permanent fixes

and I will be glad to learn something. Until then, I'll spend the few extra pennies and hours doing it my way. I'm open to hear about something new but I am skeptical.......

This was specifically for very small nicks, scratches etc - no filling, or large fairing done here with the NAPA stuff.

On the few places that needed any true filling, screw holes on deck, dents from the carriage bolt heads where the motor mount was, were done with West Systems 105.

I need to learn more here too. I've been using West with micro-balloons except where it might be in-between planks and then use old-fashioned putty (Murphys? Orange and yellow can.) But I certainly would go with whatever Lew recommends as it is hard to argue with Rita. My usual concern tho is that I want something that sets fast and is sandable so that a couple of dings don't turn into a week-long project.

Lew, are Interlux and Restore-it fast setting products?

Ok guys, one thing to remember is that the glazing material, no matter which you choose to use, must be softer than the area that it fills. Other wise, you are in danger of leaving a bump in the middle and sanding a hollow in the material that sorrounds it. Felt sanding blocks can be an aid when sanding the surface fair. #2 glaze will suck in enamel that is too thinly applied, leaving flat spots that will call for a second coat. The reason that I use Nitro Stan for small dent filling is that it dries quickly, does not need double coating and sands very well.
    Jay