Thread: Chestnut Canoe Ogilvy

Default Chestnut Canoe Ogilvy

We are calling this one "Done". It is a 1964 vintage Chestnut Canoe Company, Ogilvy, 16 foot, "Henry", model. Ogilvys were developed for use by the fly fishermen in the salmon fisheries in New Brunswick. It is heavily built and constructed for the shallow streams there. This canoe was originally sold here locally in Concord at an outdoors store in the 1960's. The family used it for many years, then the kids went to college and it ended up shingled and rotting on a lawn.

I realized I wouldn't get around to fixing it anytime soon, so I sold this canoe to a fellow WCHA Member. It was a total wreck. He was a psychiatrist at the local hospital for many years and a wooden canoe nut. He wanted to build reproductions of this canoe (a Chestnut Ogilvy "Henry") in his retirement. He was looking for a stable canoe to tote grandkids in. I told him that before he spent time and money on building a form, maybe he should restore this one and see if he really liked it. Well, he retired and shortly thereafter found out that he had advanced prostate cancer. He never got around to it. He died just about this time last year.

His family asked me if I wanted the derelict hull back. I really didn't have a use for it, but I suggested that maybe the Norumbega Chapter of the WCHA could make the restoration a team effort and we could auction it off at the Annual Assembly in July to benefit the mother organization. Record numbers of Norumbegas assisted in the canvassing and filling. So now it is ready for the Assembly Auction.

I'm not sure what "See you in the trees", really means, (I Googled it and can't find a significant quote and family members can't cite a source either), but he signed off on emails during his illness that way, and it could be applied multiple ways to canoeing. So, it ended up on the canoe today.

The Ogilvy Before renovation:

The Ogilvy after renovation:

The new Ogilvy has new stems, inwales, decks, and outwales, several new ribs, a new shoe keel, new heavy duty canvas, filler, and paint. New seat cane and varnish.

This canoe will be auctioned off at the Wooden Canoe Association Annual Assembly in July at Franklin Pierce University in New Hampshire to benefit the WCHA.
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

Default Re: Chestnut Canoe Ogilvy

Nice job. I paddled one of those for 6 weeks in '75.... Heavy, but nimble. Better for paddling than portaging. What do you figure it weighs.....70lbs?
    Never trust a man with a clean workshop.

I am as impressed with the fine lettering as the fine restoration. Pretty canoe; now!
    Out of pure curiosity, what is considered heavy weight canvas when skinning these guys?

Lefty - I'm gonna try and weigh it. I'm guessing this one is 85 lbs. We restored it true to the specs and the Chestnut specs report 84 lbs for this model. It was their heavy duty fishing canoe.

Amish rob:

The canvas on this one is No. 6, which is what it was skinned with originally.

I can't take credit for the lettering. I had a pro sign painter do it. He made it look easy.

There is a photo album here showing much of the rehab process:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/5...HvdVlp?start=0
    Last edited by Fitz; 06-15-2010 at 06:20 AM.
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

Fitz,

Very nice work, once again. And a nice story to go along with it. I am sure the WCHA will be richly rewarded for your group's efforts at the auction.

As far as the weight, that isn't really too much for a canoe that size. I hauled a Royalex canoe that weighed 82 lbs across a few portages on one of our Canada trips.

Cheers,

Brian

Sweet, Fitz!

Wish I could hit the assembly.
    "Anyone who says they like portaging is either a liar or crazy."
    - Bill Mason

85lbs would explain why my knees would go all wobbly after a couple hundred yards over rocks and through Moose Muck!... The Peterboroughs were considerably lighter.
    Never trust a man with a clean workshop.

Yeah, that's pretty heavy canvas all right. These canoes have always fascinated me (cedar/canvas in general), but I have zero practical knowledge.
    Now that I know the lettering was pro-done, I feel less jealous of your skill!
    85 lbs ain't bad at all; I'd gladly solo portage a 385lb canoe made of wood rather than sit 5 minutes in a plastic canoe.

I hope you raise a lot of money, you did good work.

Well, for curb appeal, it is best to call in the pros, no?

I don't know about you, but this sign painting pro with 35 years of experience, literally sat down with a couple of brushes and produced the work. I was stunned.

On the other hand, I could have spent about two days trying it only to end up sanding it off in the end.

It is fun. I would like to learn, but this canoe has a deadline and as far as I am concerned it is money well spent.

Fitz.

I know a pinstriper. Man I want to just strangle that guy sometimes. Tell, you what, though, he can't sharpen a drawknife (or use one). Also, I made his fish rod rack... then he striped it and made it look cool.

I'm a mechanical draughtsman, no computers here, Jack, so laying out the letters would be easy. It's the 35 years of painting experience I lack.

I am sure the painter was as impressed with your work as we are with his.

Rob