Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Build of my 34' Venus Ketch

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Build of my 34' Venus Ketch

My young bride and my young boat.
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 06-24-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Well, I just figured how to crop dead air ,so this posting should go easier.Here are the top timbers. 3 lams of 1" oak. Sheer clamp is set in, per plan. Plywood gussetts.No stringer or shelf.4, 1" plywood bulkheads.This is about the only oak I used, I HATE white oak. I have been diligent with poisoning them. I wish I had used locust, but, they are still fine.
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 11-09-2013 at 06:10 PM.

You must have bought your epoxy by the truck load!
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

,Summer and fall of '84 have come and gone. We were so poor we apparently did not buy film. Up to now, the boat has cost $6000. Epoxy then was $35 gal ,15 gallons at a time.I used about 80 gallons. Since then ,with all the remodeling I am up to 120,easily.The boat was never sheathed, just painted with resin.If I could go back, I would give her 2 layers of dynel. Sometimes, she gets a nuisance leak, above the WL. a hairline crack. I did not even put limber holes in her, I was so cocky. The boatmover came to get her on 21 dec 04. A rare snow and freeze had just hit. The ground was frozen 4" down, not normal for here.Notice in this next pic, the mast is ready to put in. Only the bottoms of the shrouds and stays need seizing. The sails, the HAND STITCHED vivatex sails, are BENT on the gaffs and booms. I still have that funky workbench, all re finished and varnished , in my art studio. I made a half of a million dollars on it decades later!
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 06-24-2012 at 09:01 AM.

This dopey half inch thick hardwood rubrail was broken within 10 hours of launching.I wish I still had that 25' power cruiser.
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 06-24-2012 at 09:02 AM.

Those anchor cats did not last. The stbd one broke while getting underweigh at night in a sudden storm in Cabo san Lucas. The same kind of blow that put Mortissier on the beach. Bow pitching up n down 3 feet, anchor not breaking out, all chain. Cat broke. dangerous. The alternative would have been a broken bowsprit. I built the cat heavier.
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 06-24-2012 at 09:03 AM.

21 dec 04, it's the shortest day of the year. It was freezing cold . It's getting dark by the time we get to Port Orchard. My bride christened her with a GUINESS!!! "She hell fi stout,mon"This is a great pic, Jan busted the bottle on the first swing. It is an environmental freaking hazard now a days to christen a boat.Y'know they have special "breakaway" bottles for this now? Not Guinness.
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 11-12-2011 at 11:03 AM.

The masts went in the next morning ,22 of December,1984. I jerked around with the standing and running rigging for a few days. We got underway for the first time, on Christmas Eve day. Sailed into Gig Harbor drunk as ,well,drunk. Here she is with the vivatex sails. They lasted about 3 years. I made another set, this time with a pfaff (hand crank( Turned 80 hours into 8) The sails did not last, but they only cost about 35 cents a sq ft!
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 12-02-2011 at 04:37 PM.

To get her sailing, $12,000 and 1500 hours. We weren't ready to go cruising yet, but in a few years time,we did. With my 18 month old son.We stayed out 7 years. sailed 40,000 miles.
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 11-09-2013 at 06:11 PM.

The adventure started right away. It was dark by the time the boat was launched. I was anxious to put the masts in, so the fellow running the travel lift said ,just leave her where she is, he would come down tomorrow and step them. A few hours later, 20 people aboard partying, with the woodstove cranking away and beerverages flowing, we noticed she was heeling over. The boat was aground and the tide was dropping fast. Oh beautiful, boat has been afloat for 3 hours and she is aground. She was high and dry by 2am. Could not use the heater, and the unfinshed water tanks were spilling cold water out the top. One good buddy stayed and we sat in his car with the heater running getting wasted.What elce was there to do? She floated up around 8am, yard guy showed up about 9.My 10 ton boat broke up his dock a bit ,but the boat was fine.Other than the half inch rubrail that broke. I replaced it with a fishboat style sponson and a 2" thick hunk of fir.
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 06-24-2012 at 09:06 AM.

How many Venuses have been built, at least one is Ferro right?

Great thread, thank you.
    To do something pleasant
    with no
    Because.

here is a sister ship.
    I think there was a bunch of 28'ers built of ferro. Several 42'ers were built in steel in South Africa. I know of 5 of Woodwinds' size.Loulou Magras from St Bart has Pluto, Stevie Hollis,sailmaker from Bermuda has Segue.Those 2 are wood. Lots of airex ones around.This is SEGUE, from Bermuda. Stevie's boat, A 34'er like mine.Ross gannon made the cabin and the toe rail. I sheathed her , made the rudder cheeks, hatches.He chose deadeyes.
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 11-09-2013 at 06:13 PM.

I've seen both Loulou's (one of the world's great people) and the Bermuda one, seen them run aground by the White Horse.

The ferro one must have been 28', pretty girl on board. I think they'd got rid of the mizzen.

LouLous' boat Pluto. alaska cedar/bronze/epoxy built in1979 photo from 2009this is the boat I helped PEJ,the designer, to build when I was 25.
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 11-09-2011 at 05:38 PM.

launching a boat with guiness.....what a waste! Thanks for sharing. After a hairy atlantic cruise in a 2 ton 26 footer, the venus 28 was my dreamboat,i even got as far as getting the plans and enquiring about the timber,but when i was quoted ten thousand sterling just for the oak for deadwood and frames (in 1990),i realised this boat would remain a dream. A foam core version built in Falmouth came up at around the same time,if i remember she was called "blue moon",and at the time was for sale at fiftenn thousand sterling,she was a little rough,but solid .and had a saab inboard.......at the time finding the finance was impossible. I still see the Venus as a long term liveaboard capable of going anywhere. As a side note,my uncle was part of a team who built a few in ferro around Essex/Kent. I know one was called "stonechat",i think its still around and owned by the sea scouts. Cheers.

Here she is recently.60,000 miles later.Damn topsl, is twisted at the truck again!
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 10-31-2015 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Here she is recently.60,000 miles later.
    Very cool thread wizzer!
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    To get her sailing, $12,000 and 1500 hours. We weren't ready to go cruising yet, but in a few years time,we did. With my 18 month old son.
    That's pretty impressive. What year did you launch? 2004? I'm sort of surprised you got her sailing for $12,000. A project of this scope suddenly seems somewhat doable.

You really ought to bring her to Home Built Boats Weekend at CWB ... July 24-25. More here.

Yes ,We launched in Dec 1984. (15 months) Went cruising,full time for 7 years,88-95.My wife, son and me.
    Seattle to New England. 24 days beating Panama to St Maarten.
    38 days Acapulco to Neah Bay. Slow but safe .
    In 2006 we took her back to the Eastern Caribbean,where she is now.
    I only have my Kutter and the Evil,stinky,noisy,2 cycle, Wizbang here!!
    edit... I wrecked Wizbang in an accident in 2011, and her replacement was built in 2012 , "Bingo".
    sold the Kutter in 2015
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 10-28-2015 at 01:02 PM. Reason: 1984 ,not 1994

... that's right! You're bringing Wizbang to the show. I spaced that. I included her on the website here.

WOW Talk about impressive.

Not to take away from your boat building or the enormity of the undertaking, but the most impressive thing in your pictures was the fact that at times the boat was supported by maybe 8 2 x 4s.

8 would be twice what is needed.

Just read this. Neato.
    Wiz,
    How did you bolt the concrete ballast? I only know of casting the bolts in the 'crete, but you used PVC to make holes for bolts. What do the nuts snug up against?
    Just for curiosity, as I don't plan on casting a ballast anytime soon. Both of my ballasts are on summer vacation right now

Next to that "fascist band camp" in a little area of Maryland we like to call "Satan's Triangle.

The Venus is a fine boat. Still, it is the Tahiti Ketch that inspires young men to forget family and home and sail off to the Orient in search of long time happiness. It is a boat that will cause grown men to weep and women to scream and pull out their own hair when it sails by. The blood of first born sons has been used in the christening of such boats. Legends.

Quote Originally Posted by Reef_Kringle View Post
    Still, it is the Tahiti Ketch that inspires young men to forget family and home and sail off to the Orient in search of long time happiness. It is a boat that will cause grown men to weep and women to scream and pull out their own hair when it sails by. The blood of first born sons has been used in the christening of such boats. Legends.
    Tahiti ketches are so slow your hair could fall out of it's own accord while one sails by.

Venus are not slow, at least the couple I've seen sailing, they're rather slippery and handy.

One inch galv bolts go into the pvc, it's a perfect fit. Wood blocks,later chislled out, were set in the bottom of the ballast keel mold to take the bolt heads.My inspiration for the 34' venus was Pauls original 28'er. She was wrecked 4 years ago. Been a bad coupl' of years for Venus boats. My boat is no speed demon, but she sails circles around Tahiti ketch!! She is in the BVI here. I took the jib boom off recently. Since putting in the 40 hp , we used it less and less. But I carried it for over 20 years.
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 11-12-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Wood blocks in the mud! Brilliant. She looks pretty with all her clothes on.

I totally missed this thread. Nice work!
    Chuck Thompson

Metoo--very nice.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. Will Rogers

I was just asking about this build in another thread. I'm glad to have found it. Did you sell her Wiz or does she just summer without you? Now that I ask that, summers in Washington, winters in the Caribbean, years spent cruising (with a family, no less)- you've got a lot more figured out than I do.

These few years , last, this and next, We are mostly in WA ,that my wife can finish her career. Later, We will do six and six.
    The boat is 7-10 months a year hauled out in the BVI or Antigua. A carvel boat could not do it. Well, they try.
    I am going back down in a month, Jah Willing.
    It is too big a distance to go back n forth to the west coast annually, 70 days under way(plus that pesky canal) , opposed to 15-20 days to commute the east coast.
    Visiting Bermuda is more pleasant than transiting Panama Canal.
    I don't have anything figured out. I started when I was young,and I have always been lucky
    .http://www.flickr.com/photos/wizbang...n/photostream/
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 11-10-2011 at 11:43 AM.

Turning 40 tomorrow. I guess I'm getting started pretty late. I'll take lucky. The alternative blows.