Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 89

Thread: Build of my 34' Venus Ketch

Default Re: Build of my 34' Venus Ketch

Hey Bruce,

you said you usually installed 4 strips on each side per day, right? Did you test fit the 4 strips first and then glued everthing all at once, or did you install each strip alone and let the epoxy cure for a while before fitting and gluing the next strip?

Also, did you install the strips all by yourself or did you have a someone to help you at this stage?

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I put each plank in place, completely clamped.
    Then I drill the vertical holes, aprox 30/50 per plank, piercing two and one half planks.
    Then make a pencil strike up mark in the middle.
    Then I start the nails in the holes and pencil mark each nail. This is a guide for the NEXT set of holes. The holes shift 3 inches over each plank.
    Then I release the clamps and lift or remove the plank.The plank might need to lay at my feet on the scaffold, it may get tucked up a few inches with a string or temp clamp.
    Then I butter the previous plank with 403 thickened epoxy.
    Then line up the strike up mark and start the first nail in the centerish..just for balance.
    Then set a few clamps back up and hammer those nails..The initial clamping is more important...the plank will go where the nails follow holes.
    Then clean up the dookis with a putty knife. I always use a board and 2 or 3 knives...not a fuggin yogurt cup and tongue depresser..sheesh .
    Repeat
    When things get wet with epoxy, they change. This is when ting get slippery, magic words are spoken, the glue gets everywhere,handstoolsclotheshair.
    In the mornings I disc sanded yesterdays planking and scarped tomorrows planking. In the afternoon I switch sides and put em on.
    keeping up with discing is important to me.
    The epoxy does not need to dry before the next plank.

yes I built it alone.The only help I had was with welding the rudder fittins.
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 05-27-2021 at 11:38 AM.

Thanks for this detailed description. It answered a number of questions for me.

Mike

You have put a lot of energy into recording your experience with building and sailing Woodwind, Bruce. I previously read an article recounting the story of how you left the sunny Caribbean and went off to the far north to build her, but the detail here, in particular your construction photos and Paul's drawings, offer an in-depth look, plus they are an invaluable resource and historical record. Paul's construction design for the timber boats is brilliant, fusing rugged heavy displacement with simplified methods. It has been a bittersweet experience for me to scroll through this thread, because I could see myself in a parallel world, if I had found a way to get the plans of little V in 1970. It might have save me a lot blood, sweat and tears over the years. I ended up with a steel boat that I loved and sailed for many years, replacing her in 2018 with a Tupperware toy for my 70s, but little Venus remains my secret lover and my heart skips whenever I am reminded of her. I wish you many more rollicking beam reaches.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Thank You Graham , have we ever met , do you suppose?

I have not had the pleasure of crossing tacks with you, Bruce. You are the sort of character I gravitate towards. In my eyes, the sanest people on the planet! I grew up in Durban, South Africa. One of my sailing mentors there was a childhood friend of the late Henry Wakelam, and I met many salty characters passing through that world-famous watering hole for vagabond sailors. Jumped a ship to Australia in 1972 at the age of 20 and have been based here and cruising in Pacific waters ever since. I wanted to get to the Caribbean but never managed it. I was bound for Seattle in 1980, as navigator on the schooner, Ishmael, but the skipper got bogged down in Tahiti and I ran out of money, so borrowed some and flew back to Australia. I'm slowing up now, so am unlikely to leave local waters again, but I hope to die with the tiller in my hand.